PDA

View Full Version : Finley

pbmax
08-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Boy, was this getting to be a long post.

Let's just go with I like Finley and want him to succeed. But every time I read an explanation like this:

http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2012/08/13/finley-im-my-own-enemy/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I roll my eyes. I begin to suspect there is a troubling immaturity that stubbornly refuses to go away. He isn't Ochocinco/TO level insecure, but he seems consistently worried about what everyone else thinks. If that's all these quotes are, fodder for fans, then I am only worried about more injuries.

But if his workout habits change because of perceived criticism or vagaries of success, then I begin to wonder if he is strong enough emotionally to commit to becoming great. Because like Wilt Chamberlain, every year he will be chasing some other ghost of criticism from the public/press.

I suspect he is just giving Demovsky and Wilde good copy and playing to the fans. But at some point you need to stop talking about what you will do on the field and just do it.

Joemailman
08-13-2012, 05:32 PM
I wonder what he'll do if he ever does have the 80 receptions/1200 yards/14 TD's type of season that he seems to think he's capable of. Will he then stop worrying, or will his ego make him difficult to deal with? I think MM is the perfect coach for him. Doesn't overreact to potentially disruptive situations, and deals with issues privately.

denverYooper
08-13-2012, 05:32 PM
I saw that earlier and the first thought that occurred to me was, "oh jeez". It's the second year his offseason workouts have caused some sort of issue. Last year he had showed up in very good shape but a little heavier (?) than they wanted.

Also, he seems to get injured a lot. Must be doing too much work with free weights.

denverYooper
08-13-2012, 05:33 PM
I wonder what he'll do if he ever does have the 80 receptions/1200 yards/14 TD's type of season that he seems to think he's capable of. Will he then stop worrying, or will his ego make him difficult to deal with? I think MM is the perfect coach for him. Doesn't overreact to potentially disruptive situations, and deals with issues privately.

Let's hope we get to find out.

pbmax
08-13-2012, 06:19 PM
I saw that earlier and the first thought that occurred to me was, "oh jeez". It's the second year his offseason workouts have caused some sort of issue. Last year he had showed up in very good shape but a little heavier (?) than they wanted.

Also, he seems to get injured a lot. Must be doing too much work with free weights.

Actually last year he went lighter, this year he seems to say heavier. Last year I think that was about playing the WR tender card for the Franchise Tag more than a rebellion on his position. Not sure if he actually is heavier this year.

HarveyWallbangers
08-13-2012, 06:28 PM
I don't get what the big deal is?

pbmax
08-13-2012, 06:40 PM
I don't get what the big deal is?

Finley claims that media and fan criticism him to work too hard in the offseason and in camp and thus, resulted in his quad pull.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-13-2012, 07:51 PM

Well actually take half of those drops away and he probably finshes close to 1,000 yards last season. I think he is capable of 1,000 yard/10 td type of seasons once he "puts it all together." He needs someone to teach him how to handle talking to the media though.

Packers4Glory
08-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Finley claims that media and fan criticism him to work too hard in the offseason and in camp and thus, resulted in his quad pull.

ehh...that's a bit of a leap.

Cleft Crusty
08-13-2012, 10:34 PM

Reader criticism of my view on AJ Hawk resulted in more typing, carpal tunnel, botched surgery, experimental pain meds, detox, resulting in more criticism. It's a vicious cycle.

Joemailman
08-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Reader criticism of my view on AJ Hawk resulted in more typing, carpal tunnel, botched surgery, experimental pain meds, detox, resulting in more criticism. It's a vicious cycle.

What a diva.

pbmax
08-13-2012, 11:14 PM
ehh...that's a bit of a leap.

Its not clear from either article who broached public criticism first (a possible indication the reporters brought it up) but here is how Wilde framed it:

Asked if the criticism was a factor, Finley replied, “No doubt. All the dropped passes and whatnot, coming into the season, I was trying to run my routes as hard as hell, trying to catch the ball as best as possible, working out to get as big as possible and as strong as possible, so it’s myself. I’m my own enemy, man, when it comes to working out.”

He may have simply entertained their theory and meant nothing more by it than answering a question. I could have succumbed to the temptation to pay more attention to his words than deeds. But the less he plays the easier it is to make that mistake.

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=9681

gbgary
08-14-2012, 12:41 AM
so he admits to working extra hard in the off-season, to being his own [worst] enemy when it comes to workouts, to not relaxing more when hard work wasn't required, all supposedly (according to the interviewer's paraphrased question) in response to fan/media criticism? who knows if the interviewer actually asked him that? hey jermichael...did the sub-par year you had cause you to work even harder this off-season? i'll go out on a limb and guess that no one had to tell him he had a less than great season, that his coach and teammates expected more. immaturity? [sigh]

pbmax
08-14-2012, 08:30 AM
so he admits to working extra hard in the off-season, to being his own [worst] enemy when it comes to workouts, to not relaxing more when hard work wasn't required, all supposedly (according to the interviewer's paraphrased question) in response to fan/media criticism? who knows if the interviewer actually asked him that? hey jermichael...did the sub-par year you had cause you to work even harder this off-season? i'll go out on a limb and guess that no one had to tell him he had a less than great season, that his coach and teammates expected more. immaturity? [sigh]

Doesn't saying you are unavailable because you work too hard seem like the answer you give in an interview about your greatest weakness? Very convenient. It seems far more likely to be a convenient explanation than hitting close to the truth. If Eddie Haskell spoke it, I couldn't believe it less.

But even if it is exactly true, shouldn't Finley be responsible for choosing a workout program that increases rather than decreases his availability? And if he chooses to deviate from that plan, does that not reflect on his judgement? And this follows on the heels of a relatively healthy year (although the off-season spent in recovery from knee surgery) where the results of his work and frame of mind was regressing as a pass catcher. Whether by workout or by concern over his contract status, he wasn't at his best.

I still believe in his talent and in his desire to be great. But this is year 5 and the team is still waiting for him to figure everything out. The one specific area he needs to work on is route running, and he needs to practice to get better. And his comments about Fontenot not coaching him too much or the freestyling thing don't inspire confidence.

I may very well have fallen into the trap of reading too much into his words or trying to read his mind. But at this point, his availability to play and produce are becoming a question mark. I think Joemailman nailed the point. For whatever reason, he might never be the kind of player to put up a dominant year. Not regularly.

Patler
08-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Big deal in and of itself? No, absolutely not. But, it does continue a pattern of recognizing, but deflecting responsibility. It started as a rookie and seems to continue each year in one way or another. Maybe it is just poor interview habits. In the end, it really doesn't matter.

As the saying goes, it is time for Finley to "put-up, or shut-up." His career has been frequented by injuries, with occasions of brilliance and some inconsistency. If he is ever going to be the player he and many others think he can be, its time to start. In his 5th year it is too late to talk about potential, it's time to talk about actual performance. He is in the middle part of his career, which should be his most dominant years.

Zool
08-14-2012, 10:31 AM
As the saying goes, it is time for Finley to "put-up, AND shut-up."

Fixed it for you.

gbgary
08-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Big deal in and of itself? No, absolutely not. But, it does continue a pattern of recognizing, but deflecting responsibility. It started as a rookie and seems to continue each year in one way or another. Maybe it is just poor interview habits. In the end, it really doesn't matter.

As the saying goes, it is time for Finley to "put-up, or shut-up." His career has been frequented by injuries, with occasions of brilliance and some inconsistency. If he is ever going to be the player he and many others think he can be, its time to start. In his 5th year it is too late to talk about potential, it's time to talk about actual performance. He is in the middle part of his career, which should be his most dominant years.

I agree except or the deflecting responsibility. he admitted he over did it

Brandon494
08-14-2012, 11:45 AM
What do he suppose to say? :grin:

Pugger
08-14-2012, 11:45 AM
What's the big deal here? I'm pleased he recognizes he wasn't all that wonderful last year and worked hard to improve himself. So he overdid it. I say this is a hell of lot better than if he came into camp fat and satisfied after signing his extension. If indeed one of his motivations was to quiet his critics in the media and some fans so be it.

Patler
08-14-2012, 12:21 PM
I agree. As I wrote earlier, it doesn't matter anymore. So long as he isn't a team distraction, and there is no suggestion that he is, answering inartfully is not a crime. Favre survived doing it for years. Lots of player do.

The only thing that matters from hereon out for Finley is actual performance. Not potential. Not what could have been. Not what should have been. No excuses for being injured, but no fault either; it just is. No excuses for having worked too hard, or for criticism having "forced" him to work himself into an injury; ultimately that is on him. No caveats in performance based on how he is used, the patterns he is asked to run, the depth at other positions limiting opportunities. No leniency for how he is defensed. All that matters is how he actually performs, because going into his 5th year, he is what he is and will be.

The Packers have paid him well to prove in the next two years that he deserves a long-term, top-level TE contract. He will either earn it or he won't; and if he doesn't the reasons why he didn't won't matter much anymore because they are unlikely to change going forward.

denverYooper
08-14-2012, 01:02 PM
What's the big deal here? I'm pleased he recognizes he wasn't all that wonderful last year and worked hard to improve himself. So he overdid it. I say this is a hell of lot better than if he came into camp fat and satisfied after signing his extension. If indeed one of his motivations was to quiet his critics in the media and some fans so be it.

Having conducted job interviews and performance reviews and worked with all types of employees, the "I work so hard when no one's looking" immediately sounds like BS. Now, Finley shows up in shape and I believe that he probably *has* been working on his hands but it's at least clear (as PB mentioned above) that Finley might need to revisit how he goes about pursuing his offseason goals because he seems to be doing so in a way that is counterproductive to the team. As a guy who needs the reps, his not being available again is only hurting his development.

I really do hope he comes and plays lights out. I like him and I think he has the potential to do so, but the real issue is whether or not he can get his head in the game.

Patler
08-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Having conducted job interviews and performance reviews and worked with all types of employees, the "I work so hard when no one's looking" immediately sounds like BS. Now, Finley shows up in shape and I believe that he probably *has* been working on his hands but it's at least clear (as PB mentioned above) that Finley might need to revisit how he goes about pursuing his offseason goals because he seems to be doing so in a way that is counterproductive to the team. As a guy who needs the reps, his not being available again is only hurting his development.

That says it very well.

I doubt that he overworked himself into the injury. Perhaps he "erroneously" worked himself into it by doing what he thought best, like last year when he decided to come in lighter even though he suspected the coaches would not be in favor of it. It's funny that guys known for being workout fanatics, like Driver, Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Al Harris, etc. never seemed to suffer training camp injuries from overworking. Coincidence? Luck? Heredity? Hard to say, but interesting none the less.

pbmax
08-14-2012, 02:21 PM
The statements essentially do nothing to enhance our understanding of him as a player or person. But they do underline, as Patler and others have described, the difference between his potential and his production.

Regardless of how or why he is injured (remember also he had a concussion in this camp), the story of his career has been either unavailability or unreliability. I don't think its a gross injustice to frame his end of 2009 campaign and the beginning of the 2010 season as the exception at this point.

Finley is at the point where a good, but not great TE, who is available every week and doesn't suffer lapses that last a season, would out produce him. And that's a shame, because they should not be able to touch him.

mraynrand
08-14-2012, 05:35 PM
What do he suppose to say? :grin:

YOTTO!

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/FinleyIgloo.jpg

It's a game - have fun!

Fritz
08-15-2012, 05:45 AM
He's still a puzzle. Many of us, myself included, did not at all like his first-year immaturity, but at the same time it seemed he was like a puppy who would grow up. Now, however, in modern-day NFL terms, he's a veteran, a grown-up, yet he still sometimes acts in ways that indicate he doesn't really quite get it yet. Thus it becomes a game of wait-and-see - but for how long? You'd hate to give up on the kind of monstrous talent he has, and MM seems to genuinely like him and claims Finley's not a problem, yet the guy has not been consistent, at all. This most recent interview, a small tick on the scale by itself, takes on added weight because this isn't year one or year two for Finley any more. It starts to look like a pattern, one that has not translated into consistent production commensurate with his skills.