PDA

View Full Version : T.J. Lang Agrees To Contract Extension

Joemailman
08-13-2012, 08:18 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/166056586.html#!page=1&pageSize=10&sort=newestfirst

Greg Jennings should be next.

red
08-13-2012, 08:32 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/166056586.html#!page=1&pageSize=10&sort=newestfirst

Greg Jennings should be next.

jennings was nowhere to be found at practice today, neither was TT

coincidence?

RashanGary
08-13-2012, 08:54 PM
I was pretty certain Lang woudl be done. I'm not as sure about Jennings. Still think Hawk could be gone too.

George Cumby
08-13-2012, 08:59 PM
SA-WEET!

Tells us what TT thought of old what's his face who signed with the Cards......

jmbarnes101
08-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Great news... it'll be interesting to see what the contract details are in regards to upfront and total dollars.

RashanGary
08-13-2012, 09:54 PM
5 years, 20M with 7 in the first year.

Just a guess.

QBME
08-14-2012, 07:02 AM
TT TCB
Nice

RashanGary
08-14-2012, 10:33 AM
5 years, 20M with 7 in the first year.

Just a guess.

Lang ended up with a 5 year deal, 23 Mil or so with something like 6 or 7M in year 1.

I was pretty close. They call it a 4 year extension, but it's a 5 year deal, including this season.

I was close :)

Patler
08-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Lang ended up with a 5 year deal, 23 Mil or so with something like 6 or 7M in year 1.

I was pretty close. They call it a 4 year extension, but it's a 5 year deal, including this season.

I was close :)

JSO reports it is a four-year contract extension worth $20.8 million in new money, with his original salary of 1.26 for this year incorporated into it. He gets a $5.5 million signing bonus.

jmbarnes101
08-14-2012, 11:17 AM
So how much does that leave us this year to try and sign Jennings or Matthews, Rodgers, or Raji early?

Lurker64
08-14-2012, 11:25 AM
JSO reports it is a four-year contract extension worth $20.8 million in new money, with his original salary of 1.26 for this year incorporated into it. He gets a $5.5 million signing bonus.

Interesting to compare Lang's contract to the deal the Eagles gave Evan Mathis this spring. Lang gets $200,000 more in base salary per year, and $500,000 more in signing bonus, but otherwise the deals are the same. Lang's 5-6 years younger than Mathis, and clearly still an improving player, so this seems like a pretty fair deal for both player and team.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Like the Lang signing, hope he keeps on getting better. Time to sign Jennings next.

Calvin Johnson ~ 16 mil/year
Larry Fitsgerald ~ 15 mil/year
Andre Johnson ~ 11 mil/year
Rody White ~ 8 mil/year
Colston ~ 8 mil/year
Jennings ~ 6.75 mil/year

I would rate Jennings below Andre Johnson, but better than White and Colston. I think a 4 yr/36-40 mil dollar extension is more than a fair deal.

RashanGary
08-14-2012, 08:31 PM

It's a 4 year extension. Agents make sure to phrase it that way so it shows he's getting 5M/year added. It's true.

I always look at these types of deals with this year added in.

If Matthews signs a 4 year extension, it would be a six year deal. I could see that happening some time this season. 6 years, 46M or so, 12 up front.

He would be getting 10M/year of new money on a 4 year extension, but it's a 6 year deal, so it's really 7.5/year.

That's the benefit of drafting a guy who over performs. You get to pay them early, and they deserve it, and at the same time, you're paying them less than other players of the same caliber because the last year or two of the deal shrinks the average.

rbaloha1
08-14-2012, 08:38 PM
SA-WEET!

Tells us what TT thought of old what's his face who signed with the Cards......

Great signing. Thank goodness the whiner is gone.

Fritz
08-15-2012, 05:49 AM
Colledge never did seems to quite fit in - the Packers never seemed entirely comfortable with him, even when he was starting and playing that contract year.

I like Lang. I like the deal. Now the guards are set, knock on wood.

Patler
08-15-2012, 08:24 AM
It's a 4 year extension. Agents make sure to phrase it that way so it shows he's getting 5M/year added. It's true.

I always look at these types of deals with this year added in.

If Matthews signs a 4 year extension, it would be a six year deal. I could see that happening some time this season. 6 years, 46M or so, 12 up front.

He would be getting 10M/year of new money on a 4 year extension, but it's a 6 year deal, so it's really 7.5/year.

That's the benefit of drafting a guy who over performs. You get to pay them early, and they deserve it, and at the same time, you're paying them less than other players of the same caliber because the last year or two of the deal shrinks the average.

Sometimes the new deal includes significant changes to the remaining year(s) of the old contract, in which case I think it makes sense to look at it as a new contract for the time from now to expiration. This often happens when the player has a high cap # in the current year, and the extension provides a significant change. Sometimes, the player was in danger of being released due to the cap situation, so the remaining year wasn't assured, or even likely.

Other times, as apparently is the case with Lang, the terms for the remaining year(s) on the old contract do not change, and additional years are added in. In those situations, it makes more sense to me to consider it as an extension for the term of the years added, because the current year was going to be paid in the same way whether or not the extension was signed.

In the end, it doesn't matter what we call it. The averages/year don't mean a lot to me regardless of how it is figured. The significant points for me are the guaranteed money, cap #s in specific years; and from the teams perspective, the ability to terminate the player without destroying the cap in the year of termination. Without knowing all the details, it appears that the Packers would be able to dump Lang just about whenever they would decide they want to, as the cap hit from the accelerated signing bonus won't be much more than his cap # for that year if he is kept. After just a couple years, it will probably be less. Of course, that is not uncommon in a relatively short contract, so long as it doesn't have an exorbitant signing bonus.

Joemailman
08-15-2012, 04:19 PM
So how much does that leave us this year to try and sign Jennings or Matthews, Rodgers, or Raji early?

I read recently that the Packers were 11 million under the cap. Lang's contract increases his cap hit by $600,000 this year over what it would have been.