View Full Version : Starting Running Back

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2012, 03:41 PM
vote like you mean it

I mean to say it's going to be Starks

mraynrand
08-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Why can't I vote for Ryan Grant?

http://www.loqueyotediga.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/QuefuedeJayeDavidsonActualidad.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Ryan Grant is no longer with us. He is living on a farm where he can run and run and be happy.

Joemailman
08-16-2012, 04:06 PM
I voted for Benson.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Benson_S1_6412.jpg

Brando19
08-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Why can't I vote for Ryan Grant?

http://www.loqueyotediga.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/QuefuedeJayeDavidsonActualidad.jpg

That's not Ryan Grant.

mraynrand
08-16-2012, 04:57 PM
That's not Ryan Grant.

:lol: ya think?

Freak Out
08-16-2012, 04:58 PM
That's Cedric Benson.....who by the way is going to be one of the most dominant running backs in Packer history.

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2012, 05:10 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/109/1094421.jpghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-sowa9IPRvU/TC4Y_eqj44I/AAAAAAAAAkM/c3EqzJOQdSI/s400/Ryan_Grant.jpghttp://packerrats.com/image.php?u=644&dateline=1333478900
cedric benson - ryan grant - frank zappa

Fritz
08-16-2012, 05:17 PM
I voted for Saine. Starks will be cut, I predict, Benson won't know enough of the playbook, and Green will still be recovering/learning.

denverYooper
08-16-2012, 05:45 PM
No Marc Tyler?

RashanGary
08-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Benson.

Joemailman
08-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Can't believe Ahman Green got 2 votes. He's finished IMHO.

Smeefers
08-16-2012, 06:45 PM
I went with Starks just cause.

Bretsky
08-16-2012, 07:01 PM
I voted for Saine. Starks will be cut, I predict, Benson won't know enough of the playbook, and Green will still be recovering/learning.

I don't get the love for this guy
He's the try hard guy with limited talent....aka.....Brady Poppinga...AJ Hawk. Little upside. I'd be surprised if Starks gets cut. He still has the talent.

Bretsky
08-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Not sure who will start, but Cedrick the entertainer..who's better than Ryan Grant..........will play the most

Joemailman
08-16-2012, 07:13 PM
I don't get the love for this guy
He's the try hard guy with limited talent....aka.....Brady Poppinga...AJ Hawk. Little upside. I'd be surprised if Starks gets cut. He still has the talent.

At some point though, Packers may get tired of his inability to stay healthy. Not sure they're there yet though.

King Friday
08-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Benson. A veteran RB better be able to step in within 2 weeks, or you should not have signed him.

Harlan Huckleby
08-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Benson. A veteran RB better be able to step in within 2 weeks, or you should not have signed him.
Huh? They got the guy for league minimum, no money guaranteed. They didn't invest starter money.

The Packer brain trust went into the season with Starks penciled-in as the starter. They may be having second thoughts now, but if Starks returns and shows old form he'll be back in the first chair.

Pugger
08-17-2012, 10:39 AM
At some point though, Packers may get tired of his inability to stay healthy. Not sure they're there yet though.

This is my concern when it comes to Starks too. It doesn't matter how good of a runner you are if you can't stay on the field.

Packers4Glory
08-17-2012, 10:49 AM
I have a growing displeasure w/ starks. I'm going to go w/ Benson.

smuggler
08-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Don't forget that Saine is actually the fastest back on the team.

Smidgeon
08-17-2012, 11:25 AM
I think the first game will be Starks since the Packers seem like a team who will stick with a player until he completely fails. That's not to say that Starks will have the most carries, but I still think he gets the first snap.

mraynrand
08-17-2012, 11:43 AM
... the Packers seem like a team who will stick with a player until he completely fails...

Hey, you guys remember me!

http://www.hognation.net/footpics/ac1129042.jpg

pbmax
08-17-2012, 01:51 PM
Basil Mitchell?

smuggler
08-17-2012, 01:57 PM
No, Basil Mitchell owned. That's Ahmad "Boxing Gloves" Carroll.

pbmax
08-17-2012, 02:14 PM
No, Basil Mitchell owned. That's Ahmad "Boxing Gloves" Carroll.

Don't remember that name. Do remember a #28 named Grabby McSmurf.

Deputy Nutz
08-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Saine has size and speed, and can actually pick up pass rushers. He is smart and capable of average play, exactly what Thompson is looking to bring to this franchise in terms of running backs. Thompson pays less attention to backs than he does the interior offensive line.

Saine will probably have a tough time making this roster because of the leg injury, if he was healthy right now he would be getting the starting snaps with the ones. He is hurt now so it will be a race between him and Starks to get on the field and perform before the end of camp.

Benson is the starter week one. Starks is really a below average talent that has been kept because he has a bit of potential and showed it during the playoffs, but he hasn't shown anything since but injuries and a knack for screwing up. Benson will run between the tackles and get a couple of yards after contact on a regular basis, he will be an addition on short yardage, but he was never and will never be a game breaker. He can lower his pads and deliver a hit, and keep his legs moving, something Grant was below average at, and Starks has never learned how to keep his pad level low going through the line.

Last night the offense looked out of whack, Green runs hard and fast but he needs holes, and there is none, a did a decent job at picking up pass rushers, but I believe he will need a year of seasoning. He could be the Packers starter by week 6 if things fall apart for Benson.

The starting job will come down to Benson or Green. Starks and Saine will fight it out for the last roster spot.

mraynrand
08-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Starks and Saine will fight it out for the last roster spot.

Saine could get it just because they can NOT afford to let Rodgers get killed by a missed blitz pickup, and Starks can't or won't do it.

BobDobbs
08-17-2012, 02:56 PM
I've seen Starks pass protect decently. I think it was the play before he fumbled in the first game that he slid across the formation to pick up a blitzer and we converted a 3rd down.

Plus, he runs like he's got balls in them drawls.

Everybody else bores me. He can't stay healthy though. It's definitely a pattern, probably is going to sink him.

Brandon494
08-17-2012, 03:48 PM
It will be Starks to start the season, you guys are overreacting if you think he is going to be cut.

Zool
08-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Saine could get it just because they can NOT afford to let Rodgers get killed by a missed blitz pickup, and Starks can't or won't do it.

With only 1 FB, they might keep all 4.

Smidgeon
08-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Don't remember that name. Do remember a #28 named Grabby McSmurf.

Ah yes. Grabby. Forgot about him.

Brandon494
08-17-2012, 04:32 PM
With only 1 FB, they might keep all 4.

Also with DJ Williams looking good catching the ball they might only go with 5 receivers and let Gurley and Borel walk. Sign Boykin to the PS and let him takeover for Driver next season, hes just as good if not better then Gurley and Borel IMO.

Freak Out
08-17-2012, 04:38 PM
What the Pack needs are more TEs and less RBs. Stick em in the backfield when needed for blocking and let it fucking fly.

BobDobbs
08-17-2012, 04:44 PM
What the Pack needs are more TEs and less RBs. Stick em in the backfield when needed for blocking and let it fucking fly.

Totally agree. We've only got seven Tight Ends on the roster. With 90 man limits we should be able to carry at least 15. I'm sure Ted will be scouring the waiver wire at cutdowns.

denverYooper
08-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Totally agree. We've only got seven Tight Ends on the roster. With 90 man limits we should be able to carry at least 15. I'm sure Ted will be scouring the waiver wire at cutdowns.

Hell yes. I smell the makings of an Onion Article.

Deputy Nutz
08-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Outside of Finley, and the emerging Williams the Packer don't have a lot of depth at tight end. I have never been impressed with Crabtree, and Taylor hasn't impressed this preseason.

Packers4Glory
08-17-2012, 07:23 PM
I think Taylor's attractiveness is he's suppose to be some sort of ST monster....on a team that needs all the ST you can get on coverage.

I like Crabtree. He's nothing special but gets the job done. IIRC he's probably our best blocking TE by far on a team w/ TE's who are not very good at blocking.

Joemailman
08-17-2012, 07:53 PM

Benson is doing all he can to learn quickly:

http://espnmilwaukee.com/page.php?page_id=278

So eager, in fact, that Benson is attending extra meetings in order to learn the Packers scheme – and not just with running backs coach Alex Van Pelt.

“For the first time ever we’ve had a running back sitting in on some quarterback meetings, so he’s going to extra meeting times trying to learn the offense, trying to learn checkdowns,” Rodgers explained. “He’s sitting next to me in meetings, so he wants to learn and it’s fun to have a veteran guy who’s really hungry. It’s going to be fun to get out there and see what he adds to the offense.”

However, it is true that MM will have to be satisfied that he knows his blitz pickups before making him the starter.

swede
08-17-2012, 08:08 PM
...it is true that MM will have to be satisfied that he knows his blitz pickups before making him the starter.

Is a blitz pickup a pre-snap read of the defense or is it coded into the offensive plays?

The reason I ask is that it would seem that a veteran such as CB would already be familiar with reading the defenses pre-snap. I still think things would come quickly to a veteran like Cedric if the Packers' line has a finite number of blocking patterns that depend more upon what the defense is doing than what the offense is doing. Things would get murky if the responsibilities for picking up extra defensive rushers are unique to each passing play.

Smidgeon
08-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Is a blitz pickup a pre-snap read of the defense or is it coded into the offensive plays?

The reason I ask is that it would seem that a veteran such as CB would already be familiar with reading the defenses pre-snap. I still think things would come quickly to a veteran like Cedric if the Packers' line has a finite number of blocking patterns that depend more upon what the defense is doing than what the offense is doing. Things would get murky if the responsibilities for picking up extra defensive rushers are unique to each passing play.

I would imagine the pass protection part of reading defenses changes from team to team. It's why Saturday was pretty vocal about how different the schemes were. He couldn't just line up, read the defense, and do his job. He needed to study like crazy to understand how the Packers protect against defenses.

RashanGary
08-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Thompson pays less attention to backs than he does the interior offensive line.

Your posts are like 80% really insightful, 15% fucking around with Packer fan and 5%, I wonder what the hell you're thinking.

You taken a look at our interior line lately? I probably completely missed the sarcasm, but seriously, TT has drafted 3 of the top 12 paid guards in the league at the moment. Two of them play (and are paid well) for our team. The other one, while we couldn't stand him, is being paid in Arizona for a very experienced OL coach (Wisenhunt -spelling sucks.) We might not like him, at all, but apparently he has some value in the NFL.

RashanGary
08-18-2012, 11:47 AM
And you have to give TT credit for the Newhouse/Bulaga tackle tandem. Newhouse appears to really be taking that next step to quality starter and Bulaga is on the verge of being a probowl RT. That group is very young, has experience, and very good. Outside of WR and AR, the OL might be Ted's greatest accomplishment. I doubt there is another team in the league with as solid of an OL group as we have for the next 4 years.

And MM said Lang could play center. If an OG or a C pans out for our team in the coming year or two, we're looking at a fantastic line for years to come.

Lurker64
08-18-2012, 12:46 PM
I like Crabtree. He's nothing special but gets the job done. IIRC he's probably our best blocking TE by far on a team w/ TE's who are not very good at blocking.

I think when talking about "blocking TEs" people think about a guy laying a pancake block or walking his man into the secondary, and they conclude that since they don't see Crabtree doing that, he's overrated as a blocking TE. His job in the run game, however, is usually "seal the edge" something that he's actually very effective at. Most of his game is made up of "nasty" because he's not that physically gifted, and I'm not sure you extend him after this year, but he definitely has a role to play on this team this year.

Lest we forget, "Tom Crabtree is a pain in the ass" is why we won the Superbowl two years ago. He's the guy who got Kieran Fox mad enough on the final kickoff of the game that he committed an unsportsmanlike penalty which backed the Steelers way up.

Tony Oday
08-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Benson will start if he can block and still run in the 4 WR sets.

I still think Edgar Bennett will strap on the pads and done the #34 shirt and show these kids how its done!

Willard
08-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Alex Van Frickin Pelt is such a gifted RB coach that his players are attending QB meetings to learn the offense? Perhaps a sign of another little problem with the development of our running game?

Joemailman
08-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Alex Van Frickin Pelt is such a gifted RB coach that his players are attending QB meetings to learn the offense? Perhaps a sign of another little problem with the development of our running game?

Benson has a lot to learn in a short amount of time. I don't see this as a reflection on the coaching.

pbmax
08-18-2012, 10:02 PM

It usually takes at least a year for a RB to pick up all the subtleties of blitz pickup and protection. Brandon Jackson took a lot of time to become good. He started off decidedly mediocre. I have nothing to judge Van Pelt on, but Benson might just be trying to shorten the learning period. Jackson eventually became so good at it he and Rodgers would make the same gestures in the backfield together.

Jimx29
08-19-2012, 12:31 AM
can a brother get some love up in here?

http://i52.tinypic.com/10ppll2.jpg

denverYooper
08-19-2012, 07:22 AM

http://i52.tinypic.com/10ppll2.jpg

Awesome.

Harlan Huckleby
08-19-2012, 09:05 AM
It's possible that Stark's turf toe is going to linger for a month. Gosh, I'd hate to be wrong so early in the season.

This poll is looking like a tallest midget contest.

BobDobbs
08-19-2012, 02:07 PM
It's possible that Stark's turf toe is going to linger for a month. Gosh, I'd hate to be wrong so early in the season.

This poll is looking like a tallest midget contest.

Don't worry. We'll all have a chance to be wrong later in the season.

George Cumby
08-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Benson will start providing MM is confident in this blitz pickups.

Starks otherwise, if he's healthy.

Still intrigued by the kids, Green and Saine, but not sold, yet.

Crabtree is a lunchpail guy you keep on your team..Solid ST and like Lurker reminded us, dude has an edge to him that we don't see until the flags fly.

denverYooper
08-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Benson will start providing MM is confident in this blitz pickups.

Starks otherwise, if he's healthy.

Still intrigued by the kids, Green and Saine, but not sold, yet.

Crabtree is a lunchpail guy you keep on your team..Solid ST and like Lurker reminded us, dude has an edge to him that we don't see until the flags fly.

Crabtree is the only TE who has not missed a practice.

mmmdk
08-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Voted Benson and I actually expect good things from him; remember those run, run then pass three and outs (especially during second halves)?? We might have some 3rd and 5 scenarios to look forward to! Wuhuu!!

George Cumby
08-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Voted Benson and I actually expect good things from him; remember those run, run then pass three and outs (especially during second halves)?? We might have some 3rd and 5 scenarios to look forward to! Wuhuu!!

How about getting three yards when it's third and two? Yeah, baby!

woodbuck27
08-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Look at that ragtag bunch to choose as a starting RB. Dreadful.

Will any of them even be standing Vs San Fran? Bringing in C. Benson was simply a logical move. I hope he can start because not much else has worked the past couple of years and not that it even has to giving A Rod's play.

cheesner
08-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Your posts are like 80% really insightful, 15% fucking around with Packer fan and 5%, I wonder what the hell you're thinking.

You taken a look at our interior line lately? I probably completely missed the sarcasm, but seriously, TT has drafted 3 of the top 12 paid guards in the league at the moment. Two of them play (and are paid well) for our team. The other one, while we couldn't stand him, is being paid in Arizona for a very experienced OL coach (Wisenhunt -spelling sucks.) We might not like him, at all, but apparently he has some value in the NFL.TT got lucky with all those picks - Lang and Sitton (and College for that matter) fell right into his lap.

JustinHarrell - same with Newhouse and Bulaga.

Iron Mike
08-20-2012, 02:23 PM

What, are you black now????

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Guess we can shut this poll down. Can you imagine, the very first game Benson plays after rudely being showed the door, and he lights up his old team. Nice.

Do you think the PAckers can keep all five guys in this poll?

The popular pick now is that Starks will get cut, forget being the starter. I think if Green wasn't a high draft pick, he would get the axe. But I am basing that on his limited game showings. Maybe he shows true talent in practice.

Patler
08-24-2012, 01:03 PM

I have heard a couple interviews with Benson where this was brought up. He said one of the reasons he did it was just to listen to Rodgers, what he was focusing on and why he was reacting as he did in each situation. He wanted to be able to think as Rodgers does. He said the sooner he could thinking like Rodgers, the better it would be.

Not any different than a guy watching extra film, really. We laud them for that, without criticizing their position coach.

mmmdk
08-25-2012, 11:29 AM

Freakin' awesome!

King Friday
08-25-2012, 12:26 PM
I think if Green wasn't a high draft pick, he would get the axe. But I am basing that on his limited game showings. Maybe he shows true talent in practice.

Green has a lot of potential as a 3rd down back...I'm not sure he will ever cut it as a feature back in the NFL. Benson isn't a 3rd down kind of back, so Benson/Green is a good tandem.

King Friday
08-25-2012, 12:31 PM
People who thought Starks was going to be the starter after Benson was signed really need to have their heads examined. Benson's play on Thursday clearly shows he has more talent in his big toe than Starks does in his entire body. Starks is a guy who was a complete unknown who showed up on a pass first team and did OK for a few playoff games when the defense COMPLETELY IGNORED HIM. Other than that, he's been entirely mediocre...just a guy...on an elite passing offense. If a defense gives even half a care about Starks, he looks like a bag of poop. Any RB worth a damn should LIGHT THE FUCK UP on this offense, where the defense has to cover the entire field.

Harlan Huckleby
08-25-2012, 12:50 PM
People who thought Starks was going to be the starter after Benson was signed really need to have their heads examined. Why did TT enter this season comfortable with Starks as #1? What would an examination of TT's head reveal?

Benson's play on Thursday clearly shows he has more talent in his big toe than Starks does in his entire body. If Benson is the 2nd coming, why was he available for vet minimum a month into training camp?

It is possible that Benson is a much better player than Starks. I don't know that your Superiority Dance is justified, but you picked the right moment for it.

In an era when players float around the league, it's hard to care whether Grant, Starks or Benson is the man. Each has had their moment in fan limelight. The only certainty is all of them will have a stint with the Lions.

Brandon494
08-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Benson is good and all but people need to stop acting like James Starks is Noah Herron. Starks has talent but he just can not stay healthy and thats why they signed Benson. I mean seriously Starks was solid all last season and now after one preseason game the witch hunt is on.

pbmax
08-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Benson is good and all but people need to stop acting like James Starks is Noah Herron. Starks has talent but he just can not stay healthy and thats why they signed Benson. I mean seriously Starks was solid all last season and now after one preseason game the witch hunt is on.

That's true but not the entire story. Starks also takes a few games to move from stop and stutter to hit the hole and full pace. He was doing a lot of quick steps toward the end of last year after he had been the best back on the team. By the end of the year, Grant was running better. He was back to that a few times this preseason. So there is a performance piece of this as well.

If he got healthy and stayed that way for the year, I think he would iron out that kink for good.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-25-2012, 03:34 PM
People who thought Starks was going to be the starter after Benson was signed really need to have their heads examined. Benson's play on Thursday clearly shows he has more talent in his big toe than Starks does in his entire body. Starks is a guy who was a complete unknown who showed up on a pass first team and did OK for a few playoff games when the defense COMPLETELY IGNORED HIM. Other than that, he's been entirely mediocre...just a guy...on an elite passing offense. If a defense gives even half a care about Starks, he looks like a bag of poop. Any RB worth a damn should LIGHT THE FUCK UP on this offense, where the defense has to cover the entire field.

Get their heads examined? How could you possibility say with full certainty that he would have been a good fit in our system? Or rather if he even had anything left in the tank? How many soon to be 30 year old Rbs play great. Obviously I hope he plays well this year, but it was 6 carries in 1 preseason game.

RashanGary
08-25-2012, 03:39 PM
This stat sums up Starks as a football player. . .

Career rushing touchdowns: 1

Starks, you suck.

Brandon494
08-25-2012, 05:32 PM
This stat sums up Starks as a football player. . .

Career rushing touchdowns: 1

Starks, you suck.

That is low but when you have Rodgers throwing the ball and Kuhn taking the goal line carries its not as bad as it seems.

Willard
08-25-2012, 06:12 PM
I have heard a couple interviews with Benson where this was brought up. He said one of the reasons he did it was just to listen to Rodgers, what he was focusing on and why he was reacting as he did in each situation. He wanted to be able to think as Rodgers does. He said the sooner he could thinking like Rodgers, the better it would be.

Not any different than a guy watching extra film, really. We laud them for that, without criticizing their position coach.

Admittedly my rant on Van Pelt was misplaced in this thread. I applaud any player for putting in extra time to learn their job and gain new perspective. I will find a different thread to question the wisdom of MM's philosophy of cross-training position coaches to the extent he has this season.

King Friday
08-26-2012, 02:28 AM
Get their heads examined? How could you possibility say with full certainty that he would have been a good fit in our system? Or rather if he even had anything left in the tank? How many soon to be 30 year old Rbs play great. Obviously I hope he plays well this year, but it was 6 carries in 1 preseason game.

I live in Ohio...I'm subject to Browns and Bengals games on occasion. Benson still has something left in the tank. He's a hard runner...decisive runner. Benson was not signed by anyone because he's only a SHORT TERM option. Few teams are interested in a guy with at most 2 years left. Green Bay was only interested because our RBs were so piss poor and/or ouchie. With a passing offense like ours, ANY back should be successful if they are worth a damn. Not 2000 yards successful, but a good YPC and moving the chains.

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2012, 09:25 AM

quoted for tooth

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Benson was not signed by anyone because he's only a SHORT TERM option. Few teams are interested in a guy with at most 2 years left.

No way, Jose. Two years is an eternity in NFL, especially at running back.

I hate that the NFL has become a mercenary league. I offered a sensible course correction, capping only free agency money, but it was resoundly rejected by the retarded, beer-guzzling troglodytes that are packerrats.com

Patler
08-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Admittedly my rant on Van Pelt was misplaced in this thread. I applaud any player for putting in extra time to learn their job and gain new perspective. I will find a different thread to question the wisdom of MM's philosophy of cross-training position coaches to the extent he has this season.

I don't know why you find that unusual or objectionable. It happens all the time.

mraynrand
08-26-2012, 10:27 AM
I offered a sensible course correction, capping only free agency money, but it was resoundly rejected by the retarded, beer-guzzling troglodytes that are packerrats.com

I find this comment highly offensive and objectionable. I live in a lean-to, Mr. Huckleby. A LEAN-TO!

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1206298162_05063.jpg

mraynrand
08-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Starks has talent but he just can not stay healthy...

Injury Prone!

Packers4Glory
08-26-2012, 03:30 PM
I thought Starks mostly sucked last season. Grant outplayed him by a mile, esp at the end of the season. that says a lot in my opinion. They could cut Starks and sign a FA that would be at least as productive. There's nothing special about the guy.

pbmax
08-26-2012, 03:55 PM
I thought Starks mostly sucked last season. Grant outplayed him by a mile, esp at the end of the season. that says a lot in my opinion. They could cut Starks and sign a FA that would be at least as productive. There's nothing special about the guy.

Starks made Grant look like he should retire in the first half of last season. The question is, which version do you get this year?

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2012, 04:38 PM
I thought Starks mostly sucked last season. Grant outplayed him by a mile, esp at the end of the season.

Since Starks outplayed Grant through most of last season, where does your mile come from?

I think Starks is a puzzle. I will not be surprised if he yet has a decent NFL career. Or he could be a dud.

Grant - well, he did come on late in the season, but I'm not a fan of that guy, lousy vision & no broken tackles & hands of stone, so I'm satisfied to see him get his gold watch and "best wishes" from the Packers.

Willard
08-26-2012, 07:45 PM
I don't know why you find that unusual or objectionable. It happens all the time.
I know it is not unusual in football. It just seems odd that at the highest level in football (the NFL) there wouldn't be coaching candidates with a proven track record at any given position who can hit the floor running if given the opportunity. I guess these "out of position" coaches must be great teachers/leaders/communicators who fit the head coach's style. I hope it works. Sometimes it doesn't-- like in Philly last year.

MJZiggy
08-26-2012, 08:52 PM
I know it is not unusual in football. It just seems odd that at the highest level in football (the NFL) there wouldn't be coaching candidates with a proven track record at any given position who can hit the floor running if given the opportunity. I guess these "out of position" coaches must be great teachers/leaders/communicators who fit the head coach's style. I hope it works. Sometimes it doesn't-- like in Philly last year.

M3 has said from day 1 that he values teachers. If you can't teach, I don't think you'd last long as a coach on this team.

RashanGary
08-26-2012, 09:18 PM
I have a feeling Starks is going to get PUP'd.

pbmax
08-26-2012, 09:18 PM
I have a feeling Starks is going to get PUP'd.

Can't. He practiced.

RashanGary
08-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Can't. He practiced.

I could see a surprise cut coming. Saine is faster than any back we have. He's reliable, gets the quick yards, can catch the ball. . . . . . Turf toe is a bitch. Great players can play with it. Blah players, they're already blah. Starks doesn't have much talent to lose.

Pugger
08-27-2012, 08:26 AM
If his toe is really bad he might end up on IR.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Turf toe is a bitch. Great players can play with it. Blah players, they're already blah. Starks doesn't have much talent to lose.

I don't think there are too many running backs who can play with turf toe. Maybe Adrian Peterson.

I think it's pretty well understood that Starks has modest ability. But same can be said of 95% of the running backs on the Packer roster the past 30 years.

Packers4Glory
08-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Since Starks outplayed Grant through most of last season, where does your mile come from?

I think Starks is a puzzle. I will not be surprised if he yet has a decent NFL career. Or he could be a dud.

Grant - well, he did come on late in the season, but I'm not a fan of that guy, lousy vision & no broken tackles & hands of stone, so I'm satisfied to see him get his gold watch and "best wishes" from the Packers.

Grant started the yr better despite less carries the 1st 2 games. Starks picked up a whole 5 yds on 11 carries vs the bears. Grant had 17 for 92 but then missed the next game vs denver.

After that Starks got the majority of the touches. It's not a big secret that Grant was a guy who got better and better w/ more carries as the game went on. He's not really a split carry type of back. Yet that Packers insisted on splitting them, even giving Grant less when he should have been the guy getting more. It's not rocket science that the final 5 games when Grant started getting more carries largely due to Starks being hurt, that his production went up.

I guess you can say starks played better in the middle of the season, but really I think that's mostly because the stuck Grant on the shelf and misused him. MM knows how to run a passing attack, but his handling of the RB's last yr was a case of mismanagement. He has no clue how to manage the running game right now. Hopefully Benson makes it simple on him.

Benson on 1st, 2nd, and short yardage. Green as the 3rd down guy. Saine and Kuhn in relief.

pbmax
08-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Hold the fort there Custer.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StarJa00/gamelog/2011/#stats::none
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GranRy00/gamelog/2011/#stats::none

First two games of the year, Grant goes 15/65/4.33, Starks 21/142/6.76. Then terrible Bears game for Starks, Grant does yeoman's work versus them. Next game Starks goes 13/65/4.85 versus Denver, Grant doesn't get a carry because of a kidney bruise and he was on the inactive list.

Grant did not get above (right on number twice) 4.0 ypc again until Week 12. After Denver, Starks was above 4.0 ypc 4 times. Versus the Lions, Starks only got 4 carries for 4.75, I am guessing he got dinged up in the game. Grant then performed the better of the two for the rest of the year while Starks did not have a carry in Weeks 13, 14 16.