PDA

View Full Version : Another way to use remaining cap space

Patler
04-12-2006, 01:12 AM
Looks more like GB will be able to handle releasing Carrol, Ferguson or KGB if they want to. I thought each was pretty safe at least until 2007, but if TT doesn't see future value in them, there will be nothing to stop him from cutting his loses this year.

Partial
04-12-2006, 01:40 AM
Yes but there is no need to cut a player if there isn't an adequate replacement. If they can help the team, you might as well keep them.

At the very least if you're going to take the cap hit anyway, trade them.

MadtownPacker
04-12-2006, 01:43 AM
Cutting Carroll makes no sense. KGB is probably gone next season and Ferguson gets his last chance or gets traded.

Patler
04-12-2006, 01:53 AM
Yes but there is no need to cut a player if there isn't an adequate replacement. If they can help the team, you might as well keep them.

At the very least if you're going to take the cap hit anyway, trade them.

Agreed, but finding a replacement for any of them may not be that hard.

For example, what did KGB give the team in 2005 that can't be replaced? Certainly not his sacks or pressures, he didn't have a good year rushing the passer. If somehow GB does get Mario Williams, and if Montgomery continues to look like he deserves some playing time, KGB's days could be numbered.

Saving cash for the Packers is not a bad thing either. If you can replace KGB's $4 million 2006 salary (or whatever it is) with a player making a million or less, the Packers have saved signficant cash.

Trading would be tough, because the team you trade with has to pick up the salaries agreed to. If they aren't worth their salaries in GB, they won't be worth their salaries to anyone else either.

HarveyWallbangers
04-12-2006, 01:57 AM
Players have bad years, but I wouldn't count out KGB from contributing this year like he has in the past--when he's often been the only guy pressuring opposing QBs. Makes no sense to cut him. Then, they'd just spend the next 5 years trying to find somebody who can rush the passer. Maybe if they were in cap trouble, but not in this case. He was still good enough to start last year, so until they find somebody better, they aren't going to cut him. Even if we got Williams, I'd keep KGB around for insurance and to rotate with Mario and Kampman. The fact that we seldom had a lead really hurt KGB's effectiveness.

Patler
04-12-2006, 02:00 AM
Cutting Carroll makes no sense. KGB is probably gone next season and Ferguson gets his last chance or gets traded.

Cutting Carroll makes no sense now, but depending on if Woodson is signed, if Hawkins developes, and who is drafted there could be an "extra" CB on the roster. I'm not saying he should be cut, just making the point that TT will have the flexibility to do it if he so choses.

Might be hard to find someone to trade Ferguson to. Is he really worth the million and a half salary he would have to be paid by the team trading for him? I'm not sure anyone would want him that badly. Most would probably take their chances getting him after he would be released.

Patler
04-12-2006, 02:14 AM
I'm getting the impression you are all misunderstanding my point. I'm not suggesting that any of these three SHOULD be cut, I'm just making the point that TT will have the flexibility to do it if he decides they aren't producing.

We've all seen players kept in the past for the sole reason that their cap hits if cut were unpalatable. That won't be the case now.

Each will be expendable only if others step forward.

IF Walker can be coaxed back. IF Gardner pans out. IF Murphy returns. IF Boerighter pans out. IF the Packers draft a receiver. None are certain, but each is a distinct possibility. If 3 of the 6 happen, Ferguson could be expendable.

IF Woodson signs. IF Hawkins steps forward. IF a corner is drafted, Again none are certain, all are possible. If two happen, Carroll could be expendable.

IF Williams or another DE is drafted. IF Montgomery steps forward. IF Poppinga or someone else develops as a pass rusher, KGB and his high salaries from here on out could be expendable.

Tarlam!
04-12-2006, 03:37 AM
Fergy should be traded. Or cut. There should be a time limit set for people with big mouths and low performance. I am dreading the spring ritual of reading how Fergy will break out this year. How it's all come together in his mental state, how he is fully focussing on being the best darn WR he can be, only to be sobered up in October.

Take a 5th for him and shove him outta GB...He's not over paid as a WR.

packrulz
04-12-2006, 06:01 AM
I think they still have some value, they're just not being used properly. KGB should be a 3rd down speed rusher, which is his best skill. Some fans would wonder why pay that much for a part time player? Because his sacks will go up because he'll be more rested. Problem is, they don't have anyone who can start ahead of him right now to get any kind of rotation going at DE. KGB & Kampy have to play most of the snaps & by the 4th quarter they're pooped. DE is a huge need in this draft, if it's not Mario then Adeyanju, Indiana sounds interesting in the 3rd round.
Carroll improved his game a lot in the 2nd half of the season & showed some skills as a KR. I'd like to see him return more kicks and would probably be a good nickle back.
Fergy isn't starting caliber but should be ok as a 3rd WR. But, I agree with rock, at least if TT ends up having to cut any of them now it won't be as harmful to the cap. Sherm is gone & these guys will be fighting for their jobs, kind of refreshing.