PDA

View Full Version : WR Thoughts

Tony Oday
08-20-2012, 11:44 AM
So Jennings is up for a new contract next year and will be 30...do we think he is staying? I was thinking about this because normally I would say, "easy he is staying" but he is up for Top 10 money and we have Jordy, JJ, Cobb and some young guys for 4 and 5, counting on this being DDs last year, along with two TEs that are pretty good.

Is there room in cap era football for Jennings on the Pack?

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Depends on how much he wants. If they can get a bargain, I have no doubt Jennings has a few elite years left in him. I wouldn't pay him upper echelon money. I'd be willing to spend that next tier down. I'd like to see Rodgers, Jennings, Nelson, Finley, and Cobb stick around for a few more years.

Patler
08-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Let's wait and see what happens on the concussion front this year. Some things I was unaware of:

- The Packers reported this was Jennings' third concussion, he says it is his second. Seems hard to believe the team would acknowledge one that the player does not.

- Now they are saying he had concussion symptoms before the intra-squad scrimmage. Headaches for several days, made worse during the scrimmage.

It apparently took a long time for him to get over it this time. While the Packers have been a bit tight-lipped about it, snippets of comments make it sound like he was out this long not just as a precaution, but because he was not yet symptom free.

If a solid hit this year moves him back to the sideline again, I'm not sure you invest a lot of long term money in him.

MadScientist
08-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Jennings is a big priority, unless Cobb and one of Gurley or Borrel really step up, or if concussions or other injuries make Jennings a big risk. He is a top receiver and makes the whole offense better.

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2012, 01:43 PM
I was hoping Gurley and/or Borel would step up, but they look JAGs to me.

Pugger
08-20-2012, 01:46 PM
I wonder if they'll now have Greg wear one of those special helmets like Rodgers wears...?

Smidgeon
08-20-2012, 01:50 PM
What about Boykin? Too raw? Or just talented enough to look good amongst backups but not talented enough to do it amongst starters?

cheesner
08-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Let's wait and see what happens on the concussion front this year. Some things I was unaware of:

- The Packers reported this was Jennings' third concussion, he says it is his second. Seems hard to believe the team would acknowledge one that the player does not.

If they asked Jennings right now, he may not remember any of them. That's the nature of head trauma.

I think you are correct in that the Packers will wait to extend the contract. Part of the extended time off, I feel, is that they are comfortable with Jennings knowledge/timing/etc and they know his absence will not effect his performance once the bullets start flying for real.

Lurker64
08-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Whether or not Jennings stays healthy this year, he's a candidate for the Franchise Tag since it wouldn't be a significant increase over his current salary and we don't have anybody else to use it on.

Iron Mike
08-20-2012, 03:58 PM
I wonder if they'll now have Greg wear one of those special helmets like Rodgers wears...?

http://snarkitect.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/gazoo.jpg

Smidgeon
08-20-2012, 04:12 PM
If they asked Jennings right now, he may not remember any of them. That's the nature of head trauma.

I think you are correct in that the Packers will wait to extend the contract. Part of the extended time off, I feel, is that they are comfortable with Jennings knowledge/timing/etc and they know his absence will not effect his performance once the bullets start flying for real.

I'm not too sure about that. After his three game absence last year, it seemed like he and Rodgers were a hair apart on their timing, and it showed.

Brandon494
08-20-2012, 05:01 PM
What about Boykin? Too raw? Or just talented enough to look good amongst backups but not talented enough to do it amongst starters?

Tough receiver with big hands and runs solid routes. He doesn't have much speed but he knows how to get open Had a great career at VT and I never saw this guy drop a pass and he was a solid special teams guy coming from Tech.

Brandon494
08-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Are we really talking about this again? Jennings will only receive around a 2M increase in salary when we resign him. Hes not going anywhere, source? Because I said so!

rbaloha1
08-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Agree on waiting due to the concussion issue. Assuming it not a problem Jennings must be resigned.

rbaloha1
08-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Tough receiver with big hands and runs solid routes. He doesn't have much speed but he knows how to get open Had a great career at VT and I never saw this guy drop a pass and he was a solid special teams guy coming from Tech.

A nice possession receiver. Can he morph into fellow alum Antonio Freeman?

Guiness
08-20-2012, 05:34 PM
more thoughts on this from a couple of weeks ago

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?24252-Uh-oh-Early-sign-that-Jennings-won-t-be-re-signed

Tony Oday
08-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Concussions are a bitch, as a Wild fan so many games were lost because of them. I guess I never realized that GJ was 30. It is interesting that we could get rid of or not sign out #1 and still have a great WR corp.

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Concussions are a bitch, as a Wild fan so many games were lost because of them. I guess I never realized that GJ was 30. It is interesting that we could get rid of or not sign out #1 and still have a great WR corp.

I don't think it would be great. Jennings being a good #1 is a big part of why our receiving corps is considered great. Jordy is a great #2, but would probably be an average #1. Jones as the opposite starter would be pretty average. Cobb in the slot and Finley at TE would be good. It would still be decent, but not great.

Joemailman
08-20-2012, 08:20 PM

For the record, Jennings will turn 29 on September 21.

Joemailman
08-20-2012, 08:33 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20120819/PKR01/120819018/Green-Bay-Packers-Greg-Jennings-experienced-concussion-symptoms-before-Family-Night

“I hit my head on the ground, split my nose open, but it probably was a little bit before that on Wednesday, because I started getting headaches Wednesday — got hit Wednesday and finished practice,” Jennings said. “The next day, (had) headaches during practice, didn’t think anything of it. Then Friday, Family Night, I probably reaggravated it or whatever. I make it sound like it was minor, but it really wasn’t, honestly.”

He had headaches for 2 days after a hit in practice and played on Family Night where he made it worse? He's a great guy and a great player, but that wasn't very smart.

Tony Oday
08-21-2012, 07:55 AM
For the record, Jennings will turn 29 on September 21.

So 30 just before contract time. Any stat gurus know when the WR cliff is?

mmmdk
08-21-2012, 08:01 AM
This is why Packers should keep 6 WRs; GJ could command too much money. On another WR note! Is Driver worth a roster spot versus younger WR talents?

ThunderDan
08-21-2012, 08:12 AM
This is why Packers should keep 6 WRs; GJ could command too much money. On another WR note! Is Driver worth a roster spot versus younger WR talents?

None of the guys that we had hoped last year would make the leap up (Gurley et al) have done anything in camp to secure a roster spot. Drvier is safer than safe at this point. It would have been an interesting position to watch if one of the young guys had a stand-out camp.

Brandon494
08-21-2012, 08:12 AM

Yea tell me again how those younger WRs have been tearing it up in training camp. You are also right about GJ, he is such a diva so you know hes going to wait big time money.

BobDobbs
08-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Just looking at the board, we're kinda at a lull in camp with not alot to talk about. This is a good one to revisit, because it might have been the most talked about position in the off season. All the talk though has kind of fizzled.

At this point we only have 5 wide receivers playing well enough to make the team. At least that's what the first two games have looked like to me. I think that us keep Gurley and Borel last year was more about our situation last year(late in the season, heading to the playoffs, injury insurance) than it was about this season. They definitely liked them and wanted them back for this year, but I doubt they had them penciled in for a roster spot.

Part of it has been injuries, but Borel and Gurley haven't done much in games and have only gotten talked about a little bit in practice. They're both getting healthy and there's a couple more weeks and games, so they still can make a push. I feel like a 6th WR has to legitimately make the team and not get a red shirt roster spot like an OL would. There's a ton of recievers in the League.

From the 2 preseason games Boykin looks like he knows how to get open better than anyone else on the bubble. Curenski Idon'twanttospellhislastname impresses me the most physically. By that I mean just from watching the game and going "Who is that guy?", he's big, fast, and has a little fluidity. Even Brewer was running around doing stuff against the Browns. If we end up with those guys instead of the other ones I won't be worried.

As far as the guys who are really going to make a difference this year and next. Greg Jennings is big time. To my eye he's better than everyone else we have and has been consistently for a few years. He makes everyone else better by demanding that the D pays attention to him and he can attack the field in multiple ways. Jordy is stepping up, but he is still most dangerous attacking the edges. Cobb gives us the ability to have a swiss army knife type player. Jones and Driver are both good pros. We're good at receiver let's sign Greg.

Also, the other four guys are all affordable for the next couple of years and I think Greg's contract was around 8 mil a year, so if we bump him to 11 the receiver group as a whole is still affordable. Jay Caspian Kang wrote an interesting article over at Grantland:
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8271541/the-veil-opulence-whether-really-relate-everyone-sports

He makes a couple interesting points, but one of them is basically 'You as a fan don't have enough information about your team's finances to make a clear decision from that perpective. So instead of playing owner, why don't you just argue for what you want?"

In that vein, I have no idea what they project the salary cap to become. Or Aaron Rodgers next contract, or Matthews, or Raji's. Or if they have a plan for Woodson next year. So, what do I want? I want a team that plays entertaining, competitive football with a chance to be dominant. And that means that Aaron Rodgers needs a massive amount of weapons to throw to. And if you have guys like Greg, Finley, and now Jordy they will make a ton of plays. Then the next tier of guys like Driver, Cobb, Jones, and Williams will see their numbers bounce because teams just can't focus on them individually.

You know after writing this, I really want to see our #1 offense play on Thursday.

Upnorth
08-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Would we still be an above average WR group without Jennings? Yes. Is it the best in the league with Jennings? Yes. Is Jennings worth the projected 3ish mill per year more? Considering Driver will likely be gone and Finley still has some question marks then I think we need Jennings to make this Offense the amazing machine it is. Without him there are too many variables, and lets face it having Jennings is worth more than Jones (who costs 4 mil). If it wasn't for Driver leaving eventually I may have a different thought, but our WR corp without Jennings and Driver is more pedestrian than we would like to admit.

Tony Oday
08-21-2012, 10:31 AM
See that is what I always thought that GJ made Jordy but I dont know I could just be biased against white WR. I dont think GJ is a diva by any means and I think he stays for reasonable money just like I think AR wont sign a record contract(which he deserves). I seriously think that this team of young guys wants to stick together and for lack of a better term Patriot it for the next 10 years.

Smidgeon
08-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Jay Caspian Kang wrote an interesting article over at Grantland:
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8271541/the-veil-opulence-whether-really-relate-everyone-sports

He makes a couple interesting points, but one of them is basically 'You as a fan don't have enough information about your team's finances to make a clear decision from that perpective. So instead of playing owner, why don't you just argue for what you want?"

In that vein, I have no idea what they project the salary cap to become. Or Aaron Rodgers next contract, or Matthews, or Raji's. Or if they have a plan for Woodson next year. So, what do I want? I want a team that plays entertaining, competitive football with a chance to be dominant. And that means that Aaron Rodgers needs a massive amount of weapons to throw to. And if you have guys like Greg, Finley, and now Jordy they will make a ton of plays. Then the next tier of guys like Driver, Cobb, Jones, and Williams will see their numbers bounce because teams just can't focus on them individually.

You were right. That was an interesting article. Good read. Thanks for passing it along.

But I also want to point out one of his base assumptions for the argument that he mentioned in passing but that seems to have merit when considering the NFL: the salary cap. In MLB, there is no cap. They can spend what they want. And therefore, the affordability of a player is arbitrary at best. In the NBA, I'm not entirely sure how it works, but there's apparently enough leeway to offer similar arbitrary comparisons.

But the NFL has a hard cap. You can only spend a certain amount of money on your players' salaries. And while I miss the dynasties that have gone the way of the Siberian Tiger (i.e. near extinct, but not quite yet) due to the salary cap, it's what sets the NFL apart. And whereas comparing salaries to athletic value is arbitrary in MLB, it's core vital in the NFL. You can't keep everyone, so value to cost becomes incredibly important. And as fans of the NFL, that matters as much. The rhetorical, "Who would you rather keep?" becomes less rhetorical in this setting.

But overall, I think there's a parallel point that does apply to the NFL team, and things you already pointed out: we don't know how the cap is structured. We don't know how dramatically it will change going forward. We don't know if any of the talented core players will suffer injury or give a hometown discount to keep the team together. We don't know if TT can draft the next Jennings (he seems to do well with WR--Cory Rodgers excluded). So there's a large bit that is arbitrary. But I do think we as NFL fans have more justification for arguing value versus cost than fans of other sports.

That being said, I really want to see the #1 offense play on Thursday too, and I want to see them well-oiled.

mmmdk
08-21-2012, 04:21 PM
I want GJ to stay a Packer but not at any price! Just to make that clear.

BobDobbs
08-21-2012, 05:14 PM
You were right. That was an interesting article. Good read. Thanks for passing it along.

But I also want to point out one of his base assumptions for the argument that he mentioned in passing but that seems to have merit when considering the NFL: the salary cap. In MLB, there is no cap. They can spend what they want. And therefore, the affordability of a player is arbitrary at best. In the NBA, I'm not entirely sure how it works, but there's apparently enough leeway to offer similar arbitrary comparisons.

But the NFL has a hard cap. You can only spend a certain amount of money on your players' salaries. And while I miss the dynasties that have gone the way of the Siberian Tiger (i.e. near extinct, but not quite yet) due to the salary cap, it's what sets the NFL apart. And whereas comparing salaries to athletic value is arbitrary in MLB, it's core vital in the NFL. You can't keep everyone, so value to cost becomes incredibly important. And as fans of the NFL, that matters as much. The rhetorical, "Who would you rather keep?" becomes less rhetorical in this setting.

But overall, I think there's a parallel point that does apply to the NFL team, and things you already pointed out: we don't know how the cap is structured. We don't know how dramatically it will change going forward. We don't know if any of the talented core players will suffer injury or give a hometown discount to keep the team together. We don't know if TT can draft the next Jennings (he seems to do well with WR--Cory Rodgers excluded). So there's a large bit that is arbitrary. But I do think we as NFL fans have more justification for arguing value versus cost than fans of other sports.

That being said, I really want to see the #1 offense play on Thursday too, and I want to see them well-oiled.

That's true. The NFL has much easier salary rules to follow. The NBA is like the tax code, I don't even know if the people who write know how it works.

Also, people have various reasons for enjoying football. Some people played, some people like to watch something that alot of other people watch, some people enjoy the numbers crunching side of it. I just like watching the sport. I don't gamble, I don't play fantasy. Really, I don't have time to follow the league that much. So, when I'm looking at who I want to make the team alot of times its based on who I like to watch play football.

And I love watching Greg Jennings play football.

Guiness
08-21-2012, 05:26 PM
That's true. The NFL has much easier salary rules to follow. The NBA is like the tax code, I don't even know if the people who write know how it works.

Good analogy for the NBA cap. I don't follow it at all, but off the top of my head I know there's two mid-level exemptions, a max contract, the Larry Bird exemption, a luxury tax, players can be signed to more than a max contract in certain situations, there's a bi-annual exception AND they allow for $100K wiggle room when signing!!!

Ya. That's fucked up.

pbmax
08-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Good analogy for the NBA cap. I don't follow it at all, but off the top of my head I know there's two mid-level exemptions, a max contract, the Larry Bird exemption, a luxury tax, players can be signed to more than a max contract in certain situations, there's a bi-annual exception AND they allow for $100K wiggle room when signing!!!

Ya. That's fucked up.

Its goofy, but not as complicated as it sounds. And their contracts are guaranteed, which relives them of all the funny money built into NFL contracts.

With only 15 or so roster spots, they can build an online trade calculator for fans to test hypothetical trade scenarios and their cap effects. So it looks like a nightmare until you watch it for a while.

Not sure about the article. I fully believe fans live in the delusion that they would uniformly behave differently if placed into the circumstance of the athlete or owner (the original veil of opulence). Fans always ignore the obvious changes in perspective and priorities, not to mention the adulation and solicitations of others. But not sure that translates to the accounting aspect of fantasy sports and salary cap as much as the writer thinks. Most of the argument behind these principles are simply fans giving other fans grief over their teams.

Of course its still fun to tell a Bears fan their offense is a mess and they live in the past, but its as much fun to tell them how much they overspent for Brandon Marshall.

mission
08-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Jarrett Boykin is better than Gurley or Borel, btw.

RashanGary
08-21-2012, 07:21 PM

It looks like that is very possible.

RashanGary
08-21-2012, 07:21 PM
To Harvey's post. . . .

Nelson was a great #1 when Jennings was down too.

Guiness
08-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Its goofy, but not as complicated as it sounds. And their contracts are guaranteed, which relives them of all the funny money built into NFL contracts.

With only 15 or so roster spots, they can build an online trade calculator for fans to test hypothetical trade scenarios and their cap effects. So it looks like a nightmare until you watch it for a while.

Not sure about the article. I fully believe fans live in the delusion that they would uniformly behave differently if placed into the circumstance of the athlete or owner (the original veil of opulence). Fans always ignore the obvious changes in perspective and priorities, not to mention the adulation and solicitations of others. But not sure that translates to the accounting aspect of fantasy sports and salary cap as much as the writer thinks. Most of the argument behind these principles are simply fans giving other fans grief over their teams.

Of course its still fun to tell a Bears fan their offense is a mess and they live in the past, but its as much fun to tell them how much they overspent for Brandon Marshall.

What you can do when you are capable of fully ignoring what I bolded above is a big part of Billy Beane and the Oakland A's 'Moneyball' success. It wasn't just that they had better numbers to work with, it was that they acted on them, often despite popular opinion.

Patler
08-21-2012, 08:09 PM
So, now, it is Jennings (last spring it was Finley) who makes all the others as good as they are. Without Jennings, Nelson wouldn't be as good as he is. However, isn't it also possible that Nelson and Driver, being as good as they are, also make it just that little bit easier for Jennings? Perhaps they give Jennings the chance a couple times a game to see lighter coverage and capitalize on it?

To listen to some fans 8-10 years ago, it was Favre who made any GB receiver as good as he was. They all were ho-hum without Favre. IMO, the accuracy and decision making by Rodgers is more likely to "make" a receiver than Favre's play was. So why isn't Jennings just another of those GB no-name WRs that is "made" by his QB?

The simple fact is most players are better if they play with better players. The Packer wide receivers all make each other better. It goes both ways.

Lurker64
08-21-2012, 08:39 PM

Boykin is a better receiver than Gurley or Borel right now, and Dale Moss has more upside. So losing Gurley and Borel won't be a huge loss. We'll just get excited about the next PS guy like we did after Chastin West went elsewhere last year.

The only reason they'd keep Borel or Gurley on as WR6 is for STs.

Brandon494
08-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Boykin is a better receiver than Gurley or Borel right now, and Dale Moss has more upside. So losing Gurley and Borel won't be a huge loss. We'll just get excited about the next PS guy like we did after Chastin West went elsewhere last year.

The only reason they'd keep Borel or Gurley on as WR6 is for STs.

Exactly! Which is why I don't believe we'll keep Borel or Gurley and go with 4 RBs instead. Sign Boykin and Moss to PS and let to battle it out for the 5th WR spot next year, thats if old man Driver lets them have it.

rbaloha1
08-21-2012, 11:07 PM
GJ is a declining player that needs to be cut. No upside.

Patler
08-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Exactly! Which is why I don't believe we'll keep Borel or Gurley and go with 4 RBs instead. Sign Boykin and Moss to PS and let to battle it out for the 5th WR spot next year, thats if old man Driver lets them have it.

Kind of neat, in a way. Borel and Gurley have missed lots of time. Jennings has been out a couple weeks. Smithson has been hurt, as have Finley and a couple other TEs. I think a few of the other WRs have missed time here and there too.

....and the old man just keeps playing and playing. :)
Maybe his wish to play until he is 40 will come true.

Pugger
08-22-2012, 06:52 AM

....not sure if serious...

pbmax
08-22-2012, 08:30 AM
What you can do when you are capable of fully ignoring what I bolded above is a big part of Billy Beane and the Oakland A's 'Moneyball' success. It wasn't just that they had better numbers to work with, it was that they acted on them, often despite popular opinion.

We could move the Moneyball discussion over to the Brewers thread and fill it up. Never was a topic or idea more misunderstood by talking heads than that one. Even ones that should have known better.

As for as ignoring outside static, I agree. To do a job well, as Thompson and others repeatedly say, you need to ignore the distractions and be willing to take a little heat to put your program into place. And despite all contrary opinions, Thompson's is working out fine.

But there is no question that people other than oneself have an influence on who you are and what you do. Both from your past and the present. However fans who claim they would sign with a certain team for less money for example, are mostly oblivious to the motivations and desires of the player and the owners involved. They treat contract player contract negotiations like a possible lottery ticket. From the fan perspective, taking $4 million less and getting it immediately, while staying in the same city is irresistible. Any other choice is madness. Holding out for the additional $4 mil and having to move makes no sense unless someone (or the Players Union) is greedy and reckless.

Ironically, if fans thought about player negotiations like they do selling their used auto or something on Craigslist or eBay, it would make a lit more sense.

pbmax
08-22-2012, 08:41 AM
To Harvey's post. . . .

Nelson was a great #1 when Jennings was down too.

So, now, it is Jennings (last spring it was Finley) who makes all the others as good as they are. Without Jennings, Nelson wouldn't be as good as he is. However, isn't it also possible that Nelson and Driver, being as good as they are, also make it just that little bit easier for Jennings? Perhaps they give Jennings the chance a couple times a game to see lighter coverage and capitalize on it?

The simple fact is most players are better if they play with better players. The Packer wide receivers all make each other better. It goes both ways.

Nelson was great but the offensive production was better with Jennings, obviously, and that reinforces Patler's point. However, casual memory makes me believe that Jennings can make the offense go better when he is without Finley or one of Nelson/Jones. So in my mind, he is 1A.

Nelson can be 1B because clearly he can do more things and more reliable things than Jones can.

But the problem with the offense at the end of last year wasn't Nelson's performance as either a 1A or 1B receiver. With Finley mentally hobbled, Driver in his drought and Jones not being either as good wide as either Nelson or Jennings, Nelson had to do too much. And it made it far easier to defense the Packers WR corp.

If circumstances were to be repeated this year, there is no ready replacement for Finley yet, but Cobb might be able to help where Driver couldn't last year.

Fritz
08-22-2012, 08:43 AM
We could move the Moneyball discussion over to the Brewers thread and fill it up. Never was a topic or idea more misunderstood by talking heads than that one. Even ones that should have known better.

As for as ignoring outside static, I agree. To do a job well, as Thompson and others repeatedly say, you need to ignore the distractions and be willing to take a little heat to put your program into place. And despite all contrary opinions, Thompson's is working out fine.

But there is no question that people other than oneself have an influence on who you are and what you do. Both from your past and the present. However fans who claim they would sign with a certain team for less money for example, are mostly oblivious to the motivations and desires of the player and the owners involved. They treat contract player contract negotiations like a possible lottery ticket. From the fan perspective, taking $4 million less and getting it immediately, while staying in the same city is irresistible. Any other choice is madness. Holding out for the additional $4 mil and having to move makes no sense unless someone (or the Players Union) is greedy and reckless.

Ironically, if fans thought about player negotiations like they do selling their used auto or something on Craigslist or eBay, it would make a lit more sense.

I've often wondered what it would be like to be a player who grew up as a huge fan of say, the Cowboys, but then get drafted by a different team. Thinking of it like that reminds me that it's a business.

pbmax
08-22-2012, 08:48 AM
I've often wondered what it would be like to be a player who grew up as a huge fan of say, the Cowboys, but then get drafted by a different team. Thinking of it like that reminds me that it's a business.

Generally speaking, everyone learns this lesson after they are treated poorly and their expectations are dashed. Football player, student, car buyer, employee, employer. Sometimes its a dog eat dog world out there and none of you goofs is reliable at first glance.

mraynrand
08-22-2012, 09:23 AM
http://snarkitect.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/gazoo.jpg

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/GazooRodgers2.jpg

gbgary
08-22-2012, 10:08 AM

- Now they are saying he had concussion symptoms before the intra-squad scrimmage. Headaches for several days, made worse during the scrimmage.

It apparently took a long time for him to get over it this time. While the Packers have been a bit tight-lipped about it, snippets of comments make it sound like he was out this long not just as a precaution, but because he was not yet symptom free.

If a solid hit this year moves him back to the sideline again, I'm not sure you invest a lot of long term money in him.

i said the same thing on twitter several days ago when it was reported they were working on a new contract. don't think it's a smart thing to do right now.

gbgary
08-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Whether or not Jennings stays healthy this year, he's a candidate for the Franchise Tag since it wouldn't be a significant increase over his current salary and we don't have anybody else to use it on.

this is the way to go.

Kiwon
08-22-2012, 10:50 AM
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/GazooRodgers2.jpg

Having the league MVP as your QB makes any WR more productive. Jennings should remember that, along with John Jefferson's drop off after leaving San Diego for GB.

mraynrand
08-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Having the league MVP as your QB makes any WR more productive. Jennings should remember that, along with John Jefferson's drop off after leaving San Diego for GB.

That's going way back. And Jefferson didn't exactly end up in a bad offense with an incompetent QB, either. I pretty much remember that he was responsible for his own drop off. I don't see Jennings doing anything similar. HOWEVER, there is a chemistry between Jennings and Rodgers, that predates Rodgers taking over as starting QB. You could see it in the half hour warm-ups the two did before games - it was far more extensive than Favre-Jennings. You don't want to mess up that chemistry, even if Jennings were to get a couple million more. It's really hard for me to see a way Jennings goes extreme to get the (what I think would be a slightly bigger) payday. I'm betting that GMs around the league also know that Jennings is part of a duo, part of a scheme, and coupled with the fact that he doesn't have the same kind of measurables as other top receivers, he just won't command the same FA dollars.

mraynrand
08-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Generally speaking, everyone learns this lesson after they are treated poorly and their expectations are dashed. Football player, student, car buyer, employee, employer. Sometimes its a dog eat dog world out there and none of you goofs is reliable at first glance.

My first lemonade stand in a small town in Iowa only grossed $1.50. The fact that I owed my mom $2.00 for supplies only made matters worse. I was scarred by that experience for a long time. But I turned it around with the Gentleman's Club on Route 59.

Guiness
08-22-2012, 01:40 PM
My first lemonade stand in a small town in Iowa only grossed $1.50. The fact that I owed my mom $2.00 for supplies only made matters worse. I was scarred by that experience for a long time. But I turned it around with the Gentleman's Club on Route 59.

You own that place? :wow:
I love it there! ;-)

ThunderDan
08-22-2012, 01:48 PM

I think there is a difference between:

GJ - 2011 13 games, 67 rec, 949 yards, 9 TDs
2010 16 games, 76 rec, 1,265 yards, 12 TDs
SM - 2011 5 games, 7 tackles, 1 sack
2010 3 games, 5 tackles

rbaloha1
08-22-2012, 08:26 PM
I think there is a difference between:

GJ - 2011 13 games, 67 rec, 949 yards, 9 TDs
2010 16 games, 76 rec, 1,265 yards, 12 TDs
SM - 2011 5 games, 7 tackles, 1 sack
2010 3 games, 5 tackles

Ditto heads:-P like it black and white -- GJ is declining. LOL

ThunderDan
08-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Ditto heads:-P like it black and white -- GJ is declining. LOL

Stop acting like an idiot and keep the political shit in the FYI.