PDA

View Full Version : THE 5 DUDE'S WHO HAVE MADE THE MOST OUT OF TRAINING CAMP ARE ????

Bretsky
08-21-2012, 11:07 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/166966686.html

VERY NICE BLOG.....but make your prediction.

Of these five, who makes the team, who is cut, and why ??????

Lurker64
08-21-2012, 11:14 PM
make your prediction.

Of these five, who makes the team, who is cut, and why ??????

Francois, Muir, and Moses have played their way onto the team. Merrill and Boykin are PS candidates if they clear waivers, but get cut due to a numbers crunch.

pbmax
08-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Agree with Lurker. Merrill might get a chance if they decide not to risk Cob at KR, but they don't seem to be worried about him there.

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2012, 08:42 AM
I would add JoeMailman to that list, his keen training camp reports have kept packerrats and his reputation afloat.

Interesting article. Boykin & Francois had big games, but I wouldn't have been able to pick out the others.

Guiness
08-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Agree with Lurker. Merrill might get a chance if they decide not to risk Cob at KR, but they don't seem to be worried about him there.

Cobb at KR seems like an awful risk to me. Although he may be the de-facto #5WR, I'm sure they expect that to change. Probably this year. However, this is the same coach that played Woodson at PR, which made me crazy!

Muir is interesting. A couple of years in Indi, right? You'd think he'd be a known quantity by now, and they wouldn't let a low priced, serviceable DL get away. Maybe he didn't fit their scheme?

Tony Oday
08-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Muir is too old for Indy?

Lurker64
08-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Muir is too old for Indy?

Muir's the kind of guy who you can't really count on two years in a row. His career trajectory is kind of "Get cut, do some introspection and learn from your mistake, sign on with a team and play well for a season or two, then forget everything you learned about yourself and get cut again."

But we only signed him for this year anyway.

RashanGary
08-22-2012, 07:43 PM
I think Boykin makes it. He looks better than both Borel and Gurley.

rbaloha1
08-22-2012, 08:23 PM
In no particular order

1. Boykin
2. Richardson
3. McMillian
4. DJ Smith
5. DJ Williams

mission
08-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Boykin is a stud, #3 kind of potential maybe? Borel and Gurley are nice guys who try hard but limited ceilings IMO. Thought Gurley might have it, but he didn't do shit at SC either. Nice body type.

Merrill I don't even think has a shot at PS. Maybe, but I'd be surprised. His kickoff return lane was like 10 yards wide, I wasn't *that* impressed outside of the blocking.

OS PA
08-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Boykin is our PS receiver. We'll offer PS to Gurley and Borel too (if they're eligible), but I'd guess they'll go and sign elsewhere. The truth of the matter is #6 WR's aren't too hard to find. Each and every year we find a guy or two that we think, "Hey, will he beat out DD or take the #5 receiver spot?" and each and every year we aren't too upset when they don't make the team or go elsewhere. There will be plenty more Boykin's, Gurley's, and Borels.

I was a little upset when Muir left the first time. He had a pretty good career in Indy. He's not a starter, but rather a good minutes guy, which is what we need. He'll make the team as the last or second to last roster spot.

Francois and Dez Moses both make this team. Brad Jones is cut, Bishop is IR'ed(I think we're pretty stupid to think otherwise), Zombo is cut, So'oto is cut, Manning to PS

We're going to keep 4 RBs and 1 FB, it's pretty much cut and dry. Starks (my how we're quick to turn on someone), Benson, Saine, and Green. Kuhn.

We're going to keep 4 TEs. Finley, Williams, Crabtree, and Ryan Taylor. Quarless is going to PUP for the season. We'll carry him as a 5th TE later in the season if he doesn't replace an injured player (which is likely).

Merrill is the type of player you see given reps so he can prove himself to other teams. We have enough people who can return kicks and punts. We can't forget that Cobb, although a great player, is still the 5th or 6th receiving option, he is the player you traditionally keep because he can return kicks and punts. The surprise CB we could keep this year is Brandian Ross, because he proved he can tackle.

McMillan is going to be our nickel and dime safety. I also have a feeling we're going to see a bit of a three safety look with one playing close, one mid, and one deep.

We could only keep 2 QBs and fill the extra spot on LB, DL, or TE for a special teams body. Am I missing anybody?

QB - 3 - Rodgers, Harrell, Coleman
RB - 4 - Starks, Benson, Saine, Green
FB - 1 - Kuhn
TE - 3 - Finley, Williams, Crabtree
OL - 9 - Bulaga, Sitton, Saturday, Lang, Newhouse, EDS, Wells, Sherrod, Taylor
WR - 5 - Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Driver

DL - 7 - Pickett, Raji, Wilson, Worthy, Muir, Daniels, Hargrove,
LB - 8 - Matthews, Hawk, Smith, Perry, Walden, Francois, Lattimore, Moses
CB - 5 - Williams, Bush, Hayward, Shields, House,
S - 5 - Woodson, Burnett, Jennings, McMillian, Levine
P - 1 - Masthay
K - 1 - Crosby
LS - 1 - Goode

Patler
08-22-2012, 10:18 PM
FB - 1 - Kuhn

CB - 6 - Williams, Bush, Hayward, Shields, House, Ross
K - 1 - Crosby
LS - 1 - Goode

Punter

Lurker64
08-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Punter

Hargrove will be on Reserve/Suspended at the start of the season (as will Walden) opening up a space for a punter.

OS PA
08-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Punter

fixed.. :/ thanks.

RashanGary
08-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Boykin is a stud, #3 kind of potential maybe?

Fuckin-A

He looks good. He's bigger than Borel but not as Big as Gurley. He creates much better separation than Gurley and seems to have the best hands of the three, as well as being the most natural talent. I've never been a big Borel/Gurley honk. I'm a Boykin honk though. He's producing and looks good doing it.

pbmax
08-23-2012, 12:39 AM

McMillan is going to be our nickel and dime safety. I also have a feeling we're going to see a bit of a three safety look with one playing close, one mid, and one deep.

We could only keep 2 QBs and fill the extra spot on LB, DL, or TE for a special teams body. Am I missing anybody?

FB - 1 - Kuhn

CB - 5 - Williams, Bush, Hayward, Shields, House,
P - 1 - Masthay
K - 1 - Crosby
LS - 1 - Goode

Punter

No he has it right. McCarthy and the coach and San Diego State are going to bite the bullet and never punt on fourth down this year, just to see if statisticians and game theorists have it right.

Tony Oday
08-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Why the H are we keeping three QBs? AR goes down so does the season so roll with two, try to stash Coleman and if we cant Walmart is full of QBs with a strong arm that are not accurate.

Ballboy
08-23-2012, 09:04 AM
I tihnk Coleman will be PS, that is the part of the reason he has played so little in preseason, it gives the Packers a chance to stash him on PS without other teams looking at him. If AR or GH gets hurt, we IR them and move him up. This also gives MM and crew a year to train him.

Have the Packers made a call on Quarless yet...did they IR him or PUP. Either way I dont see him back till after week 8.

I would argue the same for Sherrod, put him on IR(or whatever it is called) for the first 8 weeks of the season.

The Packers like Ryan Taylor(TE) for his special teams play. I think he makes it at least until Quarless comes back. Then if injuries dont open up a spot a tough call will have tbe made.

imscott72
08-23-2012, 10:36 AM
We're not keeping 3 QB's..Not sure if Starks makes this team..If Benson looks good tonight, I can see going with 3 RB's..

Smidgeon
08-23-2012, 11:25 AM
I tihnk Coleman will be PS, that is the part of the reason he has played so little in preseason, it gives the Packers a chance to stash him on PS without other teams looking at him. If AR or GH gets hurt, we IR them and move him up. This also gives MM and crew a year to train him.

Have the Packers made a call on Quarless yet...did they IR him or PUP. Either way I dont see him back till after week 8.

I would argue the same for Sherrod, put him on IR(or whatever it is called) for the first 8 weeks of the season.

The Packers like Ryan Taylor(TE) for his special teams play. I think he makes it at least until Quarless comes back. Then if injuries dont open up a spot a tough call will have tbe made.

If they intend on IRing him, my guess is they'll put him on PUP anyway, then re-evaluate at 6 weeks. If the still isn't back (highly unlikely, in my opinion), they'll IR him then with nothing lost.

Pugger
08-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Boykin is a stud, #3 kind of potential maybe? Borel and Gurley are nice guys who try hard but limited ceilings IMO. Thought Gurley might have it, but he didn't do shit at SC either. Nice body type.

Merrill I don't even think has a shot at PS. Maybe, but I'd be surprised. His kickoff return lane was like 10 yards wide, I wasn't *that* impressed outside of the blocking.

Gurley might have saved his job with that great block on ST last week. If he does it again tonight he'll be safe.

Guiness
08-23-2012, 02:33 PM
If they intend on IRing him, my guess is they'll put him on PUP anyway, then re-evaluate at 6 weeks. If the still isn't back (highly unlikely, in my opinion), they'll IR him then with nothing lost.

I figure they'll do that with him and Sherrod, who I believe still hasn't been on the field.

Brandon494
08-23-2012, 04:47 PM
We're not keeping 3 QB's..Not sure if Starks makes this team..If Benson looks good tonight, I can see going with 3 RB's..

They aren't giving up on Starks yet, he has talent and hes extremely cheap. As far as QBs I'd rather go with Coleman as our backup over noodle arm Harrell.