PDA

View Full Version : Russel Wilson

OS PA
08-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Your starting quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks. He is looking really fucking good.

OS PA
08-22-2012, 08:49 PM
and a Kregg Lumpkin sighting.

OS PA
08-22-2012, 08:57 PM
And I just realized I'm watching a replay.

rbaloha1
08-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Bought the Drew Brees comparison prior to the draft. Coach Carroll plays the best guys in his opinion regardless of experience.

denverYooper
08-22-2012, 09:27 PM
and a Kregg Lumpkin sighting.

Also Tyrell Sutton, Breno Giacomini, Jon Ryan, and Allen Barbre.

Cheesehead Craig
08-22-2012, 09:29 PM
I thought that all the hype about him being too short was junk before the draft as he had an NFL sized OL at WI and he was spectactular. I thought he would do just fine at the NFL level as he is simply a gamer, has a good arm and pretty smart. Keep it up Russel!

OS PA
08-22-2012, 09:44 PM
I was amazed by his pocket presence. He knew where pressure was coming, moved away from it, stayed in the pocket when necessary, and made plays with his feet when he needed to. It was also impressive seeing him run away from people. In retrospect, I would have given up Daniels and McMillan to move up and pick Wilson ahead of Seattle, but hindsight is 20/20, and we still don't know how much we'll need McMillan and Daniels by the time their careers are over.

Joemailman
08-22-2012, 09:48 PM
I was amazed by his pocket presence. He knew where pressure was coming, moved away from it, stayed in the pocket when necessary, and made plays with his feet when he needed to. It was also impressive seeing him run away from people. In retrospect, I would have given up Daniels and McMillan to move up and pick Wilson ahead of Seattle, but hindsight is 20/20, and we still don't know how much we'll need McMillan and Daniels by the time their careers are over.

By the time their careers are over? McMillian might be the nickel strong safety on opening day.

Packers4Glory
08-23-2012, 09:43 AM
yes he's an all-pro vs bench players and guys who won't make teams. yeah, give him reps w/ the 1's instead of letting Flynn get accustomed w/ the new players and playbook. Petey is a retard

Pugger
08-23-2012, 09:44 AM
This isn't good news for us if Wilson wins that job. We should want Flynn to start and be successful so we can get at least a 3rd round compensatory pick next spring.

Fritz
08-23-2012, 10:06 AM
My understanding is that Carroll has a lot of say in personnel matters. You can call him a gutsy coach for playing the best guy, but you can also call him an idiotic GM for throwing all that money at Flynn.

Spaulding
08-23-2012, 10:22 AM
This isn't good news for us if Wilson wins that job. We should want Flynn to start and be successful so we can get at least a 3rd round compensatory pick next spring.

I thought the compensatory picks were awarded based on the contracts the players signed, not performance for the year since it would skew their value based on one year versus the length of their performance for their team.

Then again, I could be wrong and appeal to Patler to clarify :)

imscott72
08-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Pete Carroll is a moron. They paid Flynn to start, but don't want him to start..I love Wilson of course, but I don't get what's going on over there at all..

denverYooper
08-23-2012, 10:34 AM
I think they just want to give Wilson a look with the 1's, not necessarily crown him the regular season starter.

imscott72
08-23-2012, 10:37 AM
I think they just want to give Wilson a look with the 1's, not necessarily crown him the regular season starter.

Flynn needs reps with the 1's..It's not like he's been in the system for years..Not to mention 3rd preseason game is pretty important..Makes no sense..

SkinBasket
08-23-2012, 10:38 AM
I hope Matt Flynn dies a horribly slow and gay death.

smuggler
08-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Comp picks are awarded based on the dollar value of the contract. Flynn's contract dollar total is tied to playing time, though. If he doesn't hit the playing time escallators in his contract, we could only get a 6th for him, instead of the 3rd...

Pugger
08-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Comp picks are awarded based on the dollar value of the contract. Flynn's contract dollar total is tied to playing time, though. If he doesn't hit the playing time escallators in his contract, we could only get a 6th for him, instead of the 3rd...

Oh, okay. I still feel for Flynn tho. He finally gets a shot to start and then his team drafts another QB in the 3rd round.

Tony Oday
08-23-2012, 01:29 PM
So can he just come back to the Packers then? FREE FLYNN!!!!

mraynrand
08-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Pete Carroll is a moron. They paid Flynn to start, but don't want him to start..I love Wilson of course, but I don't get what's going on over there at all..

Pete Carroll wants to get back to college ball. You have to give him credit for one of the most lucrative coach laundering schemes ever. Most of these corrupted college guys have to serve penance at Eastern Northwest Texas Polytechnic School for the Blind for a few years before they get a major college gig again, but Pete's taking it to the bank. In the back of his mind somewhere he's thinking "What do I have to do to get out of here? I keep making stupid moves and they keep working!"

LegandofthePack15
08-23-2012, 02:27 PM

Or he's a genius. What if Wilson turns out to be Seattle's franchise qb? Carroll gets to trade Flynn for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. So what that Flynn is sitting on the bench and getting paid like a starter? Carroll is not paying Flynn's salary; the capitalist pig that owns the Seahawks is.

Flynn = Kolb. I could be wrong, but I dont really give a fuck about the Seahawks.

Brandon494
08-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Flynn needs reps with the 1's..It's not like he's been in the system for years..Not to mention 3rd preseason game is pretty important..Makes no sense..

After the first game Wilson had they want to see what he can do with the #1s. Flynn is a nice QB but I think Wilson is the guy with more potential. They also didn't sign Flynn to that large of a contract and if Wilson really has been doing better then Flynn in camp money really shouldn't be an issue for who is starting.

ThunderDan
08-23-2012, 04:48 PM
After the first game Wilson had they want to see what he can do with the #1s. Flynn is a nice QB but I think Wilson is the guy with more potential. They also didn't sign Flynn to that large of a contract and if Wilson really has been doing better then Flynn in camp money really shouldn't be an issue for who is starting.

Says the poster who insisted that Bishop was on the bench because Hawk was drafted in the 1st round and had a large paycheck.

Glad to see you have come around on the idea.

This seems crazy to me that Wilson is starting. We will see what happens. I wish him all the best as a former Badger except when he is playing against the Pack.

rbaloha1
08-23-2012, 04:52 PM

Tough one. Like both qbs but trust Coach Carroll. RW may be a better leader.

Brandon494
08-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Says the poster who insisted that Bishop was on the bench because Hawk was drafted in the 1st round and had a large paycheck.

Glad to see you have come around on the idea.

This seems crazy to me that Wilson is starting. We will see what happens. I wish him all the best as a former Badger except when he is playing against the Pack.

I still believe that, Hawk was a top 5 pick making a lot of money.

rbaloha1
08-23-2012, 04:56 PM
I still believe that, Hawk was a top 5 pick making a lot of money.

So do eye.

Brandon494
08-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Looks like Wilson might have won the job.

imscott72
08-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Wow..Not sure I believe Carroll's "Flynn was hurt" BS, but whatever..Happy for the ex-Badger..Flynn is making good money so I don't feel all that sorry for him. He'll be fine..

Freak Out
08-25-2012, 12:19 AM
He looked pretty damn good out there. I never saw him haul off and really throw a fastball.....how is his arm strength?

Lurker64
08-25-2012, 12:43 AM
I'm reasonably confident that once NFL DCs start scheming against Russel Wilson, he'll look much, much worse.

His game isn't really tough to figure out, it's just different from that of most QBs.

I imagine if Carroll hands the starting job to Wilson, he'll be benched before season's end.

Brandon494
08-25-2012, 02:05 AM
I'm reasonably confident that once NFL DCs start scheming against Russel Wilson, he'll look much, much worse.

His game isn't really tough to figure out, it's just different from that of most QBs.

I imagine if Carroll hands the starting job to Wilson, he'll be benched before season's end.

I respectfully disagree, Wilson is a player. The only knock on this kid in the draft was his height and its not like KC has a scrub defense.

Lurker64
08-25-2012, 02:13 AM
I respectfully disagree, Wilson is a player. KC doesn't have a scrub defense either even if its preseason.

KC's defense is talented, but they were playing vanilla last night. There are guys who can humiliate vanilla defenses who are still susceptible to schematic variations.

Bretsky
08-25-2012, 07:32 AM
This does not surprise me at all; I srongly felt Wilson had the talent to be a solid solid backup for many years to come. I thoght TT would grab him round 4, maybe even roung 3. But round 2 was too soon with all the gaping holes in our defense.

Pugger
08-25-2012, 07:36 AM
I remember reading TT comments about Wilson after Wisconsin's pro day last spring. TT seemed impressed. I wonder had we not needed to fix our defense would TT have drafted Russell...? But we needed defensive help and so far I'm pleased with the kids we did get.

pbmax
08-25-2012, 09:40 AM
I still think Pete's a dope, but Wilson may make him look like a sage. I loved what the kid brought to the Badgers so I wish him well, but there are going to be down times for either he or Flynn and Carroll is now publicly picking which of his friends is going to be his prom date.

He has got to commit now, because any sign of indecision is going to light the flame of a QB controversy.

rbaloha1
08-25-2012, 10:14 AM
I respectfully disagree, Wilson is a player. The only knock on this kid in the draft was his height and its not like KC has a scrub defense.

Agreed. RW has the "it" factor and a "chip on the shoulder" due to be drafted in the third round. Hopefully he dumped that fugly white chica he was shown with on draft day tv.

rbaloha1
08-25-2012, 10:15 AM
KC's defense is talented, but they were playing vanilla last night. There are guys who can humiliate vanilla defenses who are still susceptible to schematic variations.

Did you actually watch the game or are you repeating cliches?

King Friday
08-25-2012, 10:24 AM
This does not surprise me at all; I srongly felt Wilson had the talent to be a solid solid backup for many years to come. I thoght TT would grab him round 4, maybe even roung 3. But round 2 was too soon with all the gaping holes in our defense.

I've always thought Wilson had the talent to start. He is a very cerebral QB with superior athleticism and above average accuracy. That combination typically works exceptionally well in the NFL, regardless of height/weight/hair color/freckles or whatever other stupid physical measurement people come up with. He played in a pro style offense at Wisconsin last season, and was a kid that had Heisman caliber credentials.

Flynn is a system QB. He doesn't have the athleticism Wilson has, and I'm not sure he's as accurate either. He had progressed far enough in OUR system to look very competant, but you throw him somewhere else and he doesn't have the talent to immediately produce. That said, it wasn't a bad signing by the Hawks...they needed a QB, so getting both Flynn and Wilson helped their chances of success considerably. One was bound to work out.

pbmax
08-25-2012, 12:42 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000054660/Pre-WK-3-Russell-Wilson-highlights?module=HP11_content_stream

1. nice pocket presence and throw to outside shoulder
2. nice run
3. very nice run
4. nice find of TE on blown coverage
5. great pocket press and nice touch on post throw
6. go route under thrown but safely to the outside

He has fantastic touch and good feet. Never seems nervous in pocket, willing to run OR stand in. That is rare and might be a benefit of being a little older. Arm is easily big enough for midrange throws but never saw him uncork one.

Of course, this is the highlight reel. But if you were a Seahawk fan, it would make you smile.

Lurker64
08-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Did you actually watch the game or are you repeating cliches?

I did watch that game.

Guiness
08-25-2012, 01:19 PM
I wonder what happens with Flynn if Wilson is handed the job? His salary isn't outlandish, do he could be kept...especially since Wilson is making peanuts. Never a good idea to have your #2 guy making more than your #1, but it has happened before. They probably wouldn't be able to trade or cut him at this point, accelerating his signing bonus would hurt them pretty badly.

pbmax
08-26-2012, 10:15 PM
We are going to find out. Wilson gets the Week 1 start over Flynn.

Pete is on dangerous territory now. If he flip flops, he's going to have trouble on the field and in the locker room. If Wilson is OK but not true starter material, he will be forced to choose to try Flynn again on a short leash or seek out another replacement.

As much as it would validate my complaints about Carroll, I hope Wilson proves him a genius. Or lucky, anyway. Or perhaps I could begin to credit John Schneider.

Old School
08-26-2012, 10:29 PM
And the winner is .......

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/26/seahawks-name-russell-wilson-starting-quarterback/#comments

Great kid. Nice story.

Guiness
08-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Gotta feel for Flynn a bit. Doesn't sound like he really did anything to lose the job, other than being unavailable, leaving the door open.

Nah. He got $10million guaranteed. I don't feel sorry for him at all!

Fosco33
08-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Good for Russell- and I'm not surprised he's doing well.... what's actually shocking is, 'what happened with 'Flynn to win''.

I wonder if Wilson will be able to handle the long season given that he's a scrambler. He should take note of other scramblers and learn to extend play but also extend his health along the way. Hard to win on the sidelines...

mraynrand
08-27-2012, 08:29 AM
I still think Pete's a dope, but Wilson may make him look like a sage. I loved what the kid brought to the Badgers so I wish him well, but there are going to be down times for either he or Flynn and Carroll is now publicly picking which of his friends is going to be his prom date.

He has got to commit now, because any sign of indecision is going to light the flame of a QB controversy.

it's all part of the plan PB. once you see what Pete is really up to, every move makes total sense.

Tony Oday
08-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Well that will make it harder for Seattle to sign UFA next year.

Pugger
08-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Have any of you seen Flynn play this preseason?

pbmax
08-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Have any of you seen Flynn play this preseason?

Saw some of his first game. Non-descript.

MadScientist
08-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Sucks if it sticks, as the comp pick will drop. Maybe the Packers can stuff Wilson enough that they have to try Flynn after that.

Don't give a rats ass about Carol or Wilson, and only care about Flynn being good enough for a good comp pick and future trades for Packers backup QB's.