PDA

View Full Version : First cutdown time

Lurker64
08-23-2012, 11:02 PM
The Packers have to be down to 75 players by August 27, and they play their next preseason game on August 30th. So there are 15 players with their heads on the chopping block right now. Who are they?

I figure the first round of cuts is "guys you're not even interested in bringing back on the PS (the other 22 cuts can be those guys) and would probably include "guys who are ineligible for the PS who aren't going to make the team."

I'm pretty certain that "no NFL future" players like Shaky Smithson are gone, as are the "injured and not that good" crew of people like Frank Zombo and Johnny Jones.

Any predictions?

rbaloha1
08-23-2012, 11:08 PM
This is unlikely but imo Ross and Richardson are better safety prospects than Levine and Jennings.

I would also cut Starks and Shields. Cut Harrell only when a better backup becomes available either via trade or pickup.

Lurker64
08-23-2012, 11:14 PM
This is unlikely but imo Ross and Richardson are better safety prospects than Levine and Jennings.

I would also cut Starks and Shields. Cut Harrell only when a better backup becomes available either via trade or pickup.

Bradian Ross has only played CB for the Packers, not S. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't cut Shields at this point, the hopes that he can reclaim his 2010 form and his special teams value is enough to keep him on the team.

I mean, guys like Dion Turner, Jon Hoese, Andrew Brewer, Brandon Bostick, Shea Allard, Duane Bennet, Curenski Gilleyen, Micah Pellerin, and Tommie Draheim have to be preferable cuts over guys who have started for this team.

Guys like Zombo, Bennett, and Dominguez could be easily waived/injured in order to put them to IR (while first exposing them to waivers.)

rbaloha1
08-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Bradian Ross has only played CB for the Packers, not CB. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't cut Shields at this point, the hopes that he can reclaim his 2010 form and his special teams value is enough to keep him on the team.

I mean, guys like Dion Turner, Jon Hoese, Andrew Brewer, Brandon Bostick, Shea Allard, Duane Bennet, Curenski Gilleyen, Micah Pellerin, and Tommie Draheim have to be preferable cuts over guys who have started for this team.

On the depth chart Ross is listed as a safety. All the paragraph 2 guys are definite cuts. Shields is probably early but makes too many mistakes and yes Bush has stepped up and maybe is the best tackling secondary player.

Cutting SS now allows more reps for other players with more upside potential.

rbaloha1
08-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Stand corrected Ross is listed as a corner on depth chart. IMO could play safety if needed.

gbgary
08-23-2012, 11:39 PM
shields looked like he was going to be starter for several years...now look at him.

Brandon494
08-23-2012, 11:44 PM
cut Starks and Shields? :|

RashanGary
08-24-2012, 12:36 AM
It will narrow a lot of the questions down once those cuts go through.

Lurker64
08-24-2012, 01:09 AM
Cutting SS now allows more reps for other players with more upside potential.

There are very few people on this roster who are not currently starters with more upside than Sam Shields. If nothing else, his value on special teams is worth keeping him around, as his speed makes him a quality gunner. I mean, I like Otis Merrill, but Shields has a lot more inborn talent. Shields has the vertical speed to match the NFL's fastest receivers stride for stride... Otis Merrill ain't got that.

Remember, the bottom of the roster spots are generally decided by special teams, which is why the team won't keep that many reserve DL since the ST value of those guys is minimal.

Guiness
08-24-2012, 01:37 AM

how quickly we turn on them, eh?

Remember that time they were both rookies who started on our SB winning team? Ancient history...:???:

LegandofthePack15
08-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Shields is the mother of inconsistency but I DON'T think he's going to get cut. He's good enough, and the Packers don't have enough CBs who are good enough. Shields and House are the only pimp cbs (players capable of playing) on the roster other than Woodson and Williams.

Hayward is raw and needs to redshirt. Bush should not be allowed to play from scrimmage. The rest are bums.

Personally, I am rooting for Shields b/c of his 97 speed on Madden.

smuggler
08-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Hayward forced a fumble and played well against the Bengals.

rbaloha1
08-24-2012, 09:19 AM

I know its hard to believe. These 2 dudes were big contributors to the super bowl.

Starks is unable to stay healthy and is inconsistent. Benson is the real deal. Green is getting in sync. Tyler is serviceable and good in the screen game. Can not make the team from the tub.

Shields still peaks in the backfield and bites on double move. SS is not playing with confidence. Its hard to believe but Bush is outplaying Shields. IMO House, Heyward and Ross have outperformed SS. Speed can keep you in the league (Chris Johnson previous Packer 7th round pick with SS type speed and current Raider).

As previous Hawaii Warrior Head Coach used to say -- Believe your eyes. My eyes say Starks and SS should not be on the final roster.

rbaloha1
08-24-2012, 09:22 AM
There are very few people on this roster who are not currently starters with more upside than Sam Shields. If nothing else, his value on special teams is worth keeping him around, as his speed makes him a quality gunner. I mean, I like Otis Merrill, but Shields has a lot more inborn talent. Shields has the vertical speed to match the NFL's fastest receivers stride for stride... Otis Merrill ain't got that.

Remember, the bottom of the roster spots are generally decided by special teams, which is why the team won't keep that many reserve DL since the ST value of those guys is minimal.

Speed is useless if you are continually easily beat. SS also has poor ball skills. Running stride for stride is only part of the equation.

SS is having a bad camp.

Patler
08-24-2012, 09:53 AM
I know its hard to believe. These 2 dudes were big contributors to the super bowl.

Starks is unable to stay healthy and is inconsistent. Benson is the real deal. Green is getting in sync. Tyler is serviceable and good in the screen game. Can not make the team from the tub.

Shields still peaks in the backfield and bites on double move. SS is not playing with confidence. Its hard to believe but Bush is outplaying Shields. IMO House, Heyward and Ross have outperformed SS. Speed can keep you in the league (Chris Johnson previous Packer 7th round pick with SS type speed and current Raider).

As previous Hawaii Warrior Head Coach used to say -- Believe your eyes. My eyes say Starks and SS should not be on the final roster.

I don't think they are ready to give up on Shields yet, but he is really going to have to earn his playing time. There is room on the roster to keep him.

Starks is in a different situation. Tyler has surprised me. He could become the third down back they are looking for. Reportedly, the coaches love Saine's reliability. He just doesn't make mistakes. Although, if he doesn't get on the field, too, he could be in trouble. Benson and Green seem to be locks.

When you look at that group, Starks no longer looks so appealing. He has been hurt constantly since college, he makes too many mistakes, and his running has been inconsistent.

Benson can take all the snaps that would have gone to Starks. Saine and/or Tyler can work into the third down role. Green can be Benson's sub. I don't see a need for Starks, especially in view of his injury history.

Spaulding
08-24-2012, 10:03 AM
I think the talk of Shields getting cut is too premature. Remember he's a converted wide receiver and didn't play CB until his senior year at Miami. Also, he's really only had two offseasons to continue to build on those raw skills which seems like a lot but given he's only going into his 4th year playing the position I think he still has upside. As the saying goes, you can't coach speed and I'd wager that if he were cut he'd immediately be picked up on another team's regular season roster. I'll put money down that he gets at least another year to prove himself.

rbaloha1
08-24-2012, 10:03 AM
I don't think they are ready to give up on Shields yet, but he is really going to have to earn his playing time. There is room on the roster to keep him.

Starks is in a different situation. Tyler has surprised me. He could become the third down back they are looking for. Reportedly, the coaches love Saine's reliability. He just doesn't make mistakes. Although, if he doesn't get on the field, too, he could be in trouble. Benson and Green seem to be locks.

When you look at that group, Starks no longer looks so appealing. He has been hurt constantly since college, he makes too many mistakes, and his running has been inconsistent.

Benson can take all the snaps that would have gone to Starks. Saine and/or Tyler can work into the third down role. Green can be Benson's sub. I don't see a need for Starks, especially in view of his injury history.

In terms of SS I thought the spirit of the thread was the board's opinion not TT's opinion.

There may not be room for SS if Williams, House, Bush, Heyward and Ross are on the active roster. Some people like Merrill which I have no opinion.

Safeties are Woodson who is also a corner in nickel, Burnett, McMillian, Levine and Jennings with Richardson on the cusp.

SS is a victim of poor performance and numbers. Its not easy but I would not keep SS.

Guiness
08-24-2012, 10:32 AM
A lot of piling on SS!

I also think SS will get at least one more season to come around. I agree that based on this camp, he'd be gone, but he's showed enough in past seasons to be given a pass - but I bet he'll be on a short leash. He has been able to stay on the field. As long as he's listening the coaches should have confidence they can teach him the position. Chris Johnson got cut not so much because he couldn't play but because he also spent more time on the trainer's table than the field.

No one has mentioned House - it seems to me like his availability is very bad, he was out again for last night's game. No one thinks he's on the bubble?

ThunderDan
08-24-2012, 10:34 AM
A lot of piling on SS!

I also think SS will get at least one more season to come around. I agree that based on this camp, he'd be gone, but he's showed enough in past seasons to be given a pass - but I bet he'll be on a short leash. He has been able to stay on the field. As long as he's listening the coaches should have confidence they can teach him the position. Chris Johnson got cut not so much because he couldn't play but because he also spent more time on the trainer's table than the field.

No one has mentioned House - it seems to me like his availability is very bad, he was out again for last night's game. No one thinks he's on the bubble?

House is injuried. He hurt his shoulder and they are waiting 3 weeks before they decide if he needs surgery to fix the problem. I am guessing he probably goes to IR for the season but you never know.

rbaloha1
08-24-2012, 10:38 AM
House is injuried. He hurt his shoulder and they are waiting 3 weeks before they decide if he needs surgery to fix the problem. I am guessing he probably goes to IR for the season but you never know.

Thought House was getting ready to play in the season opener. Should House be placed IR SS makes the roster with Bush starting and Heyward as the backup.

Zool
08-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Thought House was getting ready to play in the season opener. Should House be placed IR SS makes the roster with Bush starting and Heyward as the backup.

Just threw up in my mouth a little.

Patler
08-24-2012, 10:41 AM
In terms of SS I thought the spirit of the thread was the board's opinion not TT's opinion.

There may not be room for SS if Williams, House, Bush, Heyward and Ross are on the active roster. Some people like Merrill which I have no opinion.

Safeties are Woodson who is also a corner in nickel, Burnett, McMillian, Levine and Jennings with Richardson on the cusp.

SS is a victim of poor performance and numbers. Its not easy but I would not keep SS.

TT's opinion?

Anyway, I think Shields has fallen behind House and Heyward, I don't think he has fallen behind Ross or Merrill, one or both of which could end up on the practice squad. Bush will be on the roster whether or not he is ahead of Shields in any of the defensive alignments.

Williams, House, Heyward, Bush, Shields

Woodson

Burnett, and 2 or 3 of Jennings, McMillan, Levine and Richardson; with at least one of McMillan and Richardson going to the PS.

Between the 53 man roster and PS, the Packers will have 11 or 12 of their leading DBs.

Guiness
08-24-2012, 10:42 AM

Didn't he end up on the IR last year? His stat line only shows 2 games, was he just not dressed for the others?

I don't think they'll cut him, but if he's not available he's on the IR in a hurry and they give him one more chance to get healthy. His physical style may continue to keep him off the field.

rbaloha1
08-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Just threw up in my mouth a little.

I know its tough to swallow but Bush is playing well. Probably the best secondary tackler. Aggressive and confident.

Patler
08-24-2012, 10:48 AM

Ya, right now he is the great unknown. The one encouraging thing was that 2 days after the injury, he was not wearing a sling when seen by reporters. It was somewhat of an odd injury, so, maybe it was minor, or maybe he has an underlying structural issue needing repair. Maybe the injury itself needs repair. The Packers are being their usual uninformative selves about his injury, not that I blame them.

rbaloha1
08-24-2012, 11:05 AM
A lot of piling on SS!

Piling on SS is simple if you objectively watch the games -- which means forgetting about past performance and the great speed. After all, the league is not about Usain Bolts -- if it were, scouting would be easy.

pbmax
08-24-2012, 11:12 AM

The current hot rumor was started by Rob Reischel of Packers Plus who opined that Starks was a goner if Benson proved viable. I have not seen the original post, so can't say if it is opinion or reported from a source.

rbaloha1
08-24-2012, 11:19 AM
The current hot rumor was started by Rob Reischel of Packers Plus who opined that Starks was a goner if Benson proved viable. I have not seen the original post, so can't say if it is opinion or reported from a source.

Easy call. Benson is the best back since Ahman Green. Cutting and vision is amazing. Closer late in games.

Patler
08-24-2012, 11:30 AM

I think you will find that opinion predating Reischel on this and/or other Packer fan sites.

Some have noted through out camp that the Packers tend to give players a grace period for injuries, but by about the third year they state that availability is part of their evaluation. Zombo is in the same boat as Starks. Starks faces an added problem because of the position he plays. The RBs that are kept tend to be needed. It is not a position that teams tend to waste a roster spot, like they will for OL, DB, or even LB.

Then, too, turf-toe injuries tend to be lingering types of injuries that players often struggle with and re-injure until the off-season and lengthy rest.

rbaloha1
08-24-2012, 11:39 AM
I think you will find that opinion predating Reischel on this and/or other Packer fan sites.

Some have noted through out camp that the Packers tend to give players a grace period for injuries, but by about the third year they state that availability is part of their evaluation. Zombo is in the same boat as Starks. Starks faces an added problem because of the position he plays. The RBs that are kept tend to be needed. It is not a position that teams tend to waste a roster spot, like they will for OL, DB, or even LB.

Then, too, turf-toe injuries tend to be lingering types of injuries that players often struggle with and re-injure until the off-season and lengthy rest.

Mark Tauscher stated on the pre game show for game 2 that coaches stress reliability since they want to be able to sleep at night.

Shields and Starks are unreliable and would cause me sleepless nights if on the active roster.

Patler
08-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Mark Tauscher stated on the pre game show for game 2 that coaches stress reliability since they want to be able to sleep at night.

Shields and Starks are unreliable and would cause me sleepless nights if on the active roster.

So, you are a coach? :lol:

Being just a fan, I couldn't care less if either one is or isn't on the team. Won't bother me one way or the other. My opinion is that Shields should be given one more chance, Starks not.

Patler
08-24-2012, 11:49 AM
By the way, I really like Tauscher on the pregame show. I haven't bothered yet to listen to a post game show, which I understand he is on also.

Larry McCarren's eventual replacement on broadcasts, maybe????

rbaloha1
08-24-2012, 11:52 AM
By the way, I really like Tauscher on the pregame show. I haven't bothered yet to listen to a post game show, which I understand he is on also.

Larry McCarren's eventual replacement on broadcasts, maybe????

Yes, LM is boring -- typical midwesterner.:grin:

rbaloha1
08-24-2012, 11:52 AM

Being just a fan, I couldn't care less if either one is or isn't on the team. Won't bother me one way or the other. My opinion is that Shields should be given one more chance, Starks not.

Coach in my own mind.:grin:

Smidgeon
08-24-2012, 01:17 PM
shields looked like he was going to be starter for several years...now look at him.

Well, I basically just watched the second quarter due to arriving from home late and falling asleep at half time, but the one time I saw Shields on the field, he made a sure tackle, wrapped up, and stayed on his man until he fell over. I was impressed by the effort.

Of course, I wasn't really watching him specifically the rest of the game, so I don't know how it turned out, but that one definitely wasn't a Sam Shield's Special (i.e. a "whiff").

pbmax
08-24-2012, 01:23 PM

I think if Benson had not been signed or if he had proven himself unfit for the job, Starks would have had to rob a bank not to make the team. Alex Green as the feature back with ball security issues and Kuhn/Saine/Tyler backing up is thin. That said, its not much thinner than Harrell at QB. So it would come down to the coaches belief in each player.

Lurker64
08-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Whether or not Shields gets cut, he's not getting cut in the first cutdown. If you're trying to think "who are the first players on the 90 man roster I want to get rid of" you don't start listing 24 year old former starters unless they have serious injuries or legal/discipline problems.

The first 15 cuts are people like Shaky Smithson, who has no future in the NFL, Frank Zombo, because he hasn't been available for a game since XLV, or DeMarco Cosby since he's hurt and not one of the top 5 TEs on the roster.

Guys like Starks and Shields could, conceivably, be cut, but they would be one of the last 22 cuts, not one of the first 15. Since, if a guy like Shields plays in the fourth preseason game and records 3 interceptions, returning two of them for touchdowns... whether or not you want him on your team, he has made himself a tradeable asset.

imscott72
08-24-2012, 01:36 PM
House sticks unless he gets IR'd..Dude has way too much talent to get cut. Shields is like Bush with speed. Solid on ST's but horrible in coverage. I don't think he gets cut..I think Starks is toast, and possibly Harrell if they can find a vet..

imscott72
08-24-2012, 01:39 PM
I know its tough to swallow but Bush is playing well. Probably the best secondary tackler. Aggressive and confident.

He tackles well, blitzes, and plays the run, but man, he can't cover worth a shit..he was burned last night again and should of been called for PI..he's a big liability in coverage and opposing teams know it..

Guiness
08-24-2012, 01:45 PM

Maybe he could make himself one? rbaloha, are you a shareholder, making you a part-owner? If so, why not appoint yourself a coach? Worked for Al Davis and Jerry Jones!

MadScientist
08-24-2012, 02:21 PM
He tackles well, blitzes, and plays the run, but man, he can't cover worth a shit..he was burned last night again and should of been called for PI..he's a big liability in coverage and opposing teams know it..

I didn't watch everything in great detail, but I do clearly remember one play early on where a Bengal receiver was wide open in the middle of the field. On the replay you could see Bush backing up with the receiver, then when the receiver made his cut inside, Bush took 2-3 steps back before change directions. By then he was nowhere near the receiver.

RashanGary
08-24-2012, 04:21 PM
I would not cut Starks right out of the gate. What if an injury happens at RB. I'd wait till 2nd round.

Shields I wouldn't cut at all.

After that, there is just a cluster F of marginal talent. To me, Borel looks to lack burst and the ability to separate. He might be smart, but he seems to have very little talent. Gurley seems like another guy who's not all that athletic. He doesn't seem to win those contested balls like he should. I don't like either of them.

A guy I'm interested in, and the WR I like most is Boykin. He was a beast at V-tech. Ran a slow 40 at the combine, but was recovering from a pulled hammy. Came back at his pro day and put up good speed numbers. Extremely explosive player. Hard worker, great hands. . . .

I'd like to see him on the team. He's looked really good.

Joemailman
08-24-2012, 04:27 PM
I'll take a shot at the first 15 cuts:

G/C Tommie Draheim
G Don Barclay
G Ray Dominguez
CB Dion Turner
DL Johnny Jones
DE Jarius Wynn
FB Jon Hoese
OLB Frank Zombo
S Micah Pellerin
TE Brandon Bostick
TE Demarco Cosby
WR Andrew Brewer
WR Curenski Gilleylan
WR Shaky Smithson
OT Shea Allard

denverYooper
08-24-2012, 04:58 PM
hargrove is the first casualty.

Lurker64
08-24-2012, 05:02 PM
hargrove is the first casualty.

14 to go!

I think veterans who aren't going to make the final 53 with no practice squad eligibility are the easiest cuts here. In a sense it's surprising that Hargrove wasn't cut right away, but I think they were going to give him the chance to wow in TC, and if he didn't, he was gone.

Airin' Rodgers
08-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers
The Packers have released 5 players: WR Andrew Brewer, DE Anthony Hargrove, S Micah Pellerin, T Herb Taylor & CB Dion Turner

Joemailman
08-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Didn't realize you could do that. I thought you had to wait until they are reinstated to cut them. Should put Mike Neal on notice.

Lurker64
08-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Didn't realize you could do that. I thought you had to wait until they are reinstated to cut them. Should put Mike Neal on notice.

I think the decision on Hargrove was linked more to "he looks like he's done" than "he's not available until week 9" (though they couldn't have been happy about that.) Mike Neal's 25, he'll get at least the period of time a suspended player is allowed to practice with the team before being added to the 53.

Hargrove also exchanged harsh words with Trgovac last week, which may have been the thing that sealed his fate.

Ty Dunne tweeted: http://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/239131033977634816

The way it appeared here, Trgovac was calling for Hargrove and the veteran didn't respond. Trgo came over and words exchanged.

Which is not a good thing to do if you're already on thin ice for whatever reason.

pack4to84
08-24-2012, 05:55 PM
McCarthy said that linebacker Desmond Bishop's situation "will probably resolve here in the next 48 hours or so." That suggests Bishop, who recently had surgery on his hamstring, could be placed on injured reserve to save a roster spot by Monday.
Sounds like Bishop is headed to IR.
link (http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=10371)

RashanGary
08-24-2012, 05:55 PM
After these cuts, it woudl be a good time to do the, "predict the 53" thing.

RashanGary
08-24-2012, 06:26 PM
So far, these are the guys I think are mostly safe.

Rodgers
Benson, Green
Finley, DJ Williams, Kuhn
Nelson, Jennings, Cobb, Jones, Driver
Newhouse, Lang, Saturday, Sitton, Bulaga, Deitrich-Smith

Raji, Pickett, Worthy, Daniels, Muir
Matthews, Perry, Moses, Walden (after his suspension)
Hawk, Smith, Francois
Tramon, Wood, Burnett, Hayward, Bush, Shields, McMillan, Jennings

Crosby, Goode, Masthay

That's 39 spots (take Walden off). It looks like 14 spots are up for grabs.

It's going to get a lot clearer once these other 10 are cut. It would be a good time to take a shot at the 53.

Patler
08-24-2012, 08:05 PM
I don't think they will "replace" Walden. In other words, they won't keep a 54th just to cut him 1 week later, unless they have so many injured among the final 53 that their game day inactive list is full and Walden would leave them short of active players for the game. It's only 1 game.

RashanGary
08-24-2012, 08:30 PM
I don't think they will "replace" Walden. In other words, they won't keep a 54th just to cut him 1 week later, unless they have so many injured among the final 53 that their game day inactive list is full and Walden would leave them short of active players for the game. It's only 1 game.

If I were GM, I think I would. I don't think i'd keep an extra LB, but I'd maybe keep an extra OL or something like that. Never know what could happen in week 1. That extra player could turn out to be a big help.

rbaloha1
08-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Well, I basically just watched the second quarter due to arriving from home late and falling asleep at half time, but the one time I saw Shields on the field, he made a sure tackle, wrapped up, and stayed on his man until he fell over. I was impressed by the effort.

Of course, I wasn't really watching him specifically the rest of the game, so I don't know how it turned out, but that one definitely wasn't a Sam Shield's Special (i.e. a "whiff").

Watch the entire game -- SS was consistently beat by julio jones and a scrub for 30 yds. Realize SS does not get cut right away but eventually does.

Please only make comments on SS based on watching actual preseason games and not on the past performance and upside. I am an SS fan -- great story but the guy is getting beat all preseason and lost his starting job.

The first big cuts are easy.

Joemailman
08-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Watch the entire game -- SS was consistently beat by julio jones and a scrub for 30 yds. Realize SS does not get cut right away but eventually does.

Please only make comments on SS based on watching actual preseason games and not on the past performance and upside. I am an SS fan -- great story but the guy is getting beat all preseason and lost his starting job.

Shields got beat by Jones when he fell down. Not sure what else he gave up and he had an INT. Not sure he even played in the first 2 preseason games due to a shoulder injury. Never actually had the starter job as Bush was initially getting the reps with the 1's. I think he'll be around unless he's traded.

Brandon494
08-24-2012, 10:28 PM

I just watched the entire game and pretty sure we played the Bengals and not the Falcons.

Brandon494
08-24-2012, 10:29 PM
BTW Shields is not going anywhere, just because he might not win the starting job does not mean the guy does not have any value.

Lurker64
08-24-2012, 10:34 PM
I just watched the entire game and pretty sure we played the Bengals and not the Falcons.

Maybe Julio Jones is just that good, he beats defenders on teams he's not even playing.

rbaloha1
08-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Maybe Julio Jones is just that good, he beats defenders on teams he's not even playing.

meant green

rbaloha1
08-24-2012, 10:58 PM
BTW Shields is not going anywhere, just because he might not win the starting job does not mean the guy does not have any value.

SS value is diminishing compared to House, Heyward and Bush. IMO Ross has played better. Why do people tout Merrill?

Its about making plays and SS is coming up short. Getting beat 30 yds by a scrub speaks volumes.

The next tough cut is Driver.

Patler
08-25-2012, 12:41 AM
If I were GM, I think I would. I don't think i'd keep an extra LB, but I'd maybe keep an extra OL or something like that. Never know what could happen in week 1. That extra player could turn out to be a big help.

He will probably be on their practice squad in week 1 if they need him for week 2.

Pugger
08-25-2012, 07:40 AM

:lol:

smuggler
08-25-2012, 08:35 AM
SS also has poor ball skills. Running stride for stride is only part of the equation.

Not sure if anyone has called you out on this, but you're dead wrong.

By the way, to anyone who thinks Brandian Ross has a future in this league, you're dead wrong. The guys does NOT acknowledge the ball in the air.

pbmax
08-25-2012, 09:52 AM

By the way, to anyone who thinks Brandian Ross has a future in this league, you're dead wrong. The guys does NOT acknowledge the ball in the air.

Good catch Smuggler. Shields has some areas of definite need, but ball awareness and hands aren't among them.

The most I remember of Ross in the exhibition season is that he is always close to the WR, watches the catch being made and then makes the tackle.

rbaloha1
08-25-2012, 10:09 AM

Several reasons SS was shifted from wr to db -- poor hands (removed as a returner) and ball skills. SS has improved in these areas but is not elite.

Ross is not a shutdown corner but is always around the ball. Does not nearly possess the physical talent of SS but is a better corner for the scheme.

Cutting SS may become moot since House may require surgery. SS's speed should be utilized on special teams.

rbaloha1
08-25-2012, 10:10 AM
:lol:

JJ is spiderman after all.

rbaloha1
08-25-2012, 10:20 AM

Thanks for calling me out. With you and the tea party continually calling me out life is complete.

Mahalo Braddah!

RashanGary
08-25-2012, 10:30 AM

Yep, I liked him because he was sticky, but unless he's playing zone, he has zero ability to trail, locate the ball and make a play.

The way Capers coaches defense, he likes to make it easy for the defense to learn, but hard for the offense to execute against. He doesn't play a dozen coverages, but he runs 3 or 4 that are very different and they are easy to disguise presnap. A big part of that coverage arsenal is man coverage. You just can't have a player on the field who can't play man coverage. The most most complex part of Capers defense is Woodson's free-lancing role. The other guys do their jobs and have to know their jobs.

Ross is gone. I really, really, really hope House comes back. He seemed to have it all.

McMillan's starting point has been shocking. His man coverage, I don't think this is exaggeration, but it's been at least average. For a rookie out of a tiny school, that's a great starting point. His tackling and physicalness has been off the charts. I "heart" Jerron McMillan. He and Jarrett Boykin have been my biggest surprises of camp. Oh, Moses too. That guy is a beast.

Smidgeon
08-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Yep, I liked him because he was sticky, but unless he's playing zone, he has zero ability to trail, locate the ball and make a play.

The way Capers coaches defense, he likes to make it easy for the defense to learn, but hard for the offense to execute against. He doesn't play a dozen coverages, but he runs 3 or 4 that are very different and they are easy to disguise presnap. A big part of that coverage arsenal is man coverage. You just can't have a player on the field who can't play man coverage. The most most complex part of Capers defense is Woodson's free-lancing role. The other guys do their jobs and have to know their jobs.

Ross is gone. I really, really, really hope House comes back. He seemed to have it all.

McMillan's starting point has been shocking. His man coverage, I don't think this is exaggeration, but it's been at least average. For a rookie out of a tiny school, that's a great starting point. His tackling and physicalness has been off the charts. I "heart" Jerron McMillan. He and Jarrett Boykin have been my biggest surprises of camp. Oh, Moses too. That guy is a beast.

I'm feeling you on McMillian. He's been the rookie that I thought from the beginning would get overlooked by fans the most but would surprise most of them in a good way.

Guiness
08-25-2012, 01:15 PM
How did Hargrove perform in camp? I didn't hear much about his performance, good or bad, on the field.

They got a look at him, know what he's all about now. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back later in the year if depth is thin as the season goes on.

smuggler
08-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Several reasons SS was shifted from wr to db -- poor hands (removed as a returner) and ball skills. SS has improved in these areas but is not elite.

He's no Woodson, but he happens to have significantly better ball skills than Brandian Ross (non-existant ball skills) and many of the other CBs in our camp (and most CBs in the league). He is not a shutdown corner. He doesn't stay in the pocket of his man, and he doesn't tackle well. He's fast as hell and he stays aware of the ball and usually succeeds when he has a play on a ball in the air.

He's one of our 3 best CBs as of right now. He's also in the doghouse.

rbaloha1
08-25-2012, 07:58 PM
He's no Woodson, but he happens to have significantly better ball skills than Brandian Ross (non-existant ball skills) and many of the other CBs in our camp (and most CBs in the league). He is not a shutdown corner. He doesn't stay in the pocket of his man, and he doesn't tackle well. He's fast as hell and he stays aware of the ball and usually succeeds when he has a play on a ball in the air.

He's one of our 3 best CBs as of right now. He's also in the doghouse.

Disagree about top 3. Agree on doghouse. Makes the roster due House's uncertain injury.

pbmax
08-25-2012, 08:01 PM
How did Hargrove perform in camp? I didn't hear much about his performance, good or bad, on the field.

They got a look at him, know what he's all about now. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back later in the year if depth is thin as the season goes on.

Hargrove got limited snaps, as though he was 3rd team. Understandable as he was facing an 8 game ban.

Apparently he wasn't happy (though who would be) and then last week got into a kerfuffle with Trgovac when he ignored an oder to come out (of a drill) or over to the coach. Got heated in ear shot of reporters. All in all, not a good camp.

RashanGary
08-25-2012, 09:14 PM
You'd think they'd cut the guys Sunday, not Monday. Why have them sit in on meetings, then cut them an hour later.

Joemailman
08-25-2012, 10:14 PM
You'd think they'd cut the guys Sunday, not Monday. Why have them sit in on meetings, then cut them an hour later.

Maybe they're hoping they'll bring donuts.

Patler
08-26-2012, 05:52 AM

Maybe they're hoping they'll bring donuts.

Sometimes players are advised early, but for various reasons there is no public announcement immediately. There have been times when reporters have noted that several players were not at practice, and later that day it was announced that they were released. Sometime when it is an injured player, they are working out details of an injury settlement for a day or so. Wouldn't surprise me if Zombo, Dominguez, Johnny Jones, Hoese, Smithson, Cosby and/or Bennett are released with settlements.

Harlan Huckleby
08-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Hargrove got limited snaps, as though he was 3rd team. Understandable as he was facing an 8 game ban.

Apparently he wasn't happy (though who would be) and then last week got into a kerfuffle with Trgovac when he ignored an oder to come out (of a drill) or over to the coach. Got heated in ear shot of reporters. All in all, not a good camp.

I read somewhere this summer that HArgrove was winning a lot of battles in practice.

Maybe he is a head case. I'm sorry to see him go, since having him inactive and unpaid for 8 weeks made him a good option for cheap, midseason re-enforcement. I don't think his base salary was much.

pbmax
08-26-2012, 11:46 AM
I read somewhere this summer that HArgrove was winning a lot of battles in practice.

Maybe he is a head case. I'm sorry to see him go, since having him inactive and unpaid for 8 weeks made him a good option for cheap, midseason re-enforcement. I don't think his base salary was much.

As a group, the D line had some struggles in one on ones versus starting O line. But second team O line, the ones that Hargrove most likely saw, were sieves.

rbaloha1
08-26-2012, 12:17 PM
SS is on the Bubble

Written by
Rob Demovsky
FILED UNDER
It’s taken him nearly all of the preseason to get healthy but now that Sam Shields appears to be over the elbow injury that kept him out of the first two exhibition games, he knows exactly what he needs: One more good week.

“I think so,” Shields admitted after making his preseason debut Thursday at Cincinnati. “There’s always opportunities out there, and I’ve got one more week to do it.”

Shields likely will get extensive playing time in Thursday’s preseason finale against Kansas City.

Shields’ preseason debut against the Bengals was a mixed bag. He fell down in coverage against receiver A.J. Green in the second quarter only to get bailed out when Andy Dalton overthrew Green. Had the ball been on target, it might have gone for an 80-yard touchdown.

“I just tripped up,” Shields said. “Things like that happen, so you’ve just got to go to the next play. The turf was kind of bumpy, but that’s not an excuse.”

He also allowed a 30-yard reception by rookie Justin Hilton in the second half. But he made an athletic interception in the fourth quarter, picking off a Zac Robinson pass intended for receiver Ryan Whalen.

After playing most of the last two seasons as the Packers’ third cornerback in the nickel package, Shields now appears to be fighting for a roster spot. He has been demoted to the dime defensive back and hasn’t factored into the competition for the starting right cornerback spot, which appears to be down to Jarrett Bush, Casey Hayward and Davon House (if healthy). It could be an indication that Shields’ play hasn’t been up to par, or perhaps it’s a sign of how much more depth the Packers have at cornerback.

“I feel good about the secondary,” starting left cornerback Tramon Williams said. “All the guys have shown they can get the job done and make plays when they’re out there. This might be the deepest we’ve been in a long time in that secondary. Whatever move they make, I don’t think they can go wrong.”

rbaloha1
08-26-2012, 12:18 PM

Were talking about practice, practice.

pbmax
08-26-2012, 12:18 PM
http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2012/08/26/nfl-practice-squad-rules-an-explanation-in-plain-english/

A list of Practice Squad rules in English and CBA.

NFL PRACTICE SQUAD RULES:
Accrued Season:

a) If a player has been on a team’s practice squad for three regular season or playoff games during their first or second year on the practice squad, that counts as an accrued season.
b) If a player has been on a team’s practice squad for one regular season or playoff game during their third year on the practice squad, that’s an accrued season.
c) a bye week counts as long as the player remains on the practice squad for the entire bye weekend.

Players can be on the practice squad a maximum of three years, but certain conditions must apply to allow a third year.

Eligibility for players in their first or second year in the NFL:

Players who do not have an accrued season in the NFL (in other words, rookies are automatically eligible).
Players with one year NFL experience who were active for less that nine regular season games.

Eligibility for players in their third year in the NFL:

They have to meet the requirements above, plus, their team has to have at least 53 players on it’s roster for the entire time he is on the practice squad. (I imagine this means if a team releases a player during the week and decided not to replace him on the roster, any 3rd year practice squad players would no longer be eligible.)

Signing with other clubs:

Any player on a practice squad is completely free to negotiate with any other team to be signed to their 53-man roster without his new team having to give any form of compensation to his former team. A player can’t be signed from one team’s practice squad to another team’s practice squad. The newly signed player counts against his new team’s 53-man roster for three weeks, even if he is released and signed to another teams 53-man roster or practice squad.

A player may not sign with his current teams next opponent after 4PM EST of the sixth day before their game. This of course, is to prevent teams from signing their next opponent’s practice squad players to gather “inside information.” (If it’s a bye week, the limit is extended to 10 days.)

————————————-

If you want to look up other details of practice squad rules (such as salary rules and some special provisions), here is a link to the full CBA document. The practice squad section starts on page 160.

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/General/2011_Final_CBA_Searchable_Bookmarked.pdf