PDA

View Full Version : Year of the Marshmallow put on hold?

RashanGary
08-25-2012, 09:23 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/

McGinn and his scouts call him a little soft, not a good finisher. The positive in that I don't remember reading about him having any negative pass plays. The negative was that he doesn't finish in the run game. It sounds like he's a poor run blocker. Not a disaster, but poor.

If you're going to have a more one dimensional LT in our system, I'd rather have a pass protector than a run blocker, but hopefully he can round off some of those rough edges by getting a rough edge of his own in the run game.

Hey, when he came back from his concussion, Rodgers gave him a hug at his first practice back, then made a comment about staying healthy in the 2nd game and smiled saying something about knowing who his left tackle is. Maybe he won't be Benson's best friend, but it seems like Rodgers likes him. In a world where our offensive line has been, well, offensive, for much of the last 6 years, I'll take it. Still think it's the year of the Marshmallow. I think we'll all be happy to have him after this season, and won't be in such a hurry to see Sherrod.

RashanGary
08-25-2012, 09:32 AM
And let's not forget, Marshmallow is 23 years old. It's not like TJ Lang, Josh Sitton or Bryan Bulaga didn't improve as they gained experience in the league.

pbmax
08-25-2012, 09:35 AM
His run blocking is not my greatest concern. He was better than Clifton last year. It may have been the source of his worst plays vs. Cincy, but its not what would keep me up at night.

Its that he cannot lock on and contain a DE in pass pro. He is always in position (even on TV you can see his good feet) but he cannot stay locked on. Ignoring Rodgers runs where he had time, saw good man coverage and then took off, Newhouse and Saturday shared responsibility for several pressures versus the Bengals. I wasn't locked into watching him, so I cannot give chapter and verse about the errors, but describing his pass pro as loose would be charitable.

RashanGary
08-25-2012, 10:19 AM
His run blocking is not my greatest concern. He was better than Clifton last year. It may have been the source of his worst plays vs. Cincy, but its not what would keep me up at night.

Its that he cannot lock on and contain a DE in pass pro. He is always in position (even on TV you can see his good feet) but he cannot stay locked on. Ignoring Rodgers runs where he had time, saw good man coverage and then took off, Newhouse and Saturday shared responsibility for several pressures versus the Bengals. I wasn't locked into watching him, so I cannot give chapter and verse about the errors, but describing his pass pro as loose would be charitable.

It appears McGinn watched every play and didn't site one negative pass play, even going against very talented Dlineman. Bulaga abolutely stifles his opponents. Newhouse does his job. He's young. He was bouncing arond the line for those first two years and got better every game last season according to the coaches and Newhouse himself. He's put all of his time in at LT this offseason. He's young. He has a history of improving every game. I like his chances to start out far better than last year and get better every game as the season progresses. He gave up zero sacks. Zero. McGinn didn't even site a pressure.

Sitton and Saturday have already whiffed to give up stacks. Newhouse. . . Zero.

pbmax
08-25-2012, 10:54 AM
It appears McGinn watched every play and didn't site one negative pass play, even going against very talented Dlineman.

I am not saying McGinn's article makes my point. In fact, I am saying I disagree with the article's main thrust: Newhouse may need a nastier streak, but he still run blocks better than Clifton. Its his pass blocking that causes me to worry about Rodgers health. I think ARog is very aware of Newhouse over there and he has been quick to vacate up or right to give Newhouse room to recover from a mistake.

But if you want to refer only to the article's contents, I give you the negative pass play you did not see: Speaking about Newhosue battling with Michael Johnson
He beat Newhouse for a flush
And that doesn't even count his holding penalty.

Joemailman
08-25-2012, 04:18 PM

When Newhouse was drafted I remember reading that one of his arms was longer than the other. Could that have something to do with why he has trouble staying locked on even when he has good foot position?

The consensus on him when drafted was that he was probably better suited to G in the NFL. Still wouldn't be surprised if in a couple years he ends up at LG, with Lang at C and Sherrod at LT.

Tony Oday
08-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Clifton could run block for 12 years and nobody cared

Joemailman
08-25-2012, 05:06 PM

I assume you meant couldn't. You would be right. Clifton in his prime was average at best. Those last few years he was a real liability. Some of those running plays with Clifton and Colledge together on the left side never had a chance.

pbmax
08-25-2012, 05:33 PM

I assume you meant couldn't. You would be right. Clifton in his prime was average at best. Those last few years he was a real liability. Some of those running plays with Clifton and Colledge together on the left side never had a chance.

Actually, whether TO meant could or couldn't, it highlights an important point about Clifton. If Newhouse could pass block like Clifton before the end, then no one would be worried about his run blocking.

pittstang5
08-25-2012, 07:30 PM

PB - your description of not "locking on" is what I saw against Cinn. He's still a work in progress and didn't realize he's only 23 years old. We'll probably have to suffer through some more growing pains this year. I just hope he can stay healthy.

mraynrand
08-25-2012, 07:47 PM
PB - your description of not "locking on" is what I saw against Cinn. He's still a work in progress and didn't realize he's only 23 years old. We'll probably have to suffer through some more growing pains this year. I just hope Rodgers can stay healthy.

fixed