PDA

View Full Version : Panthers v Jets

pbmax
08-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Why comment about this game? Because both currently feature horrible offense.

Sanchez is inaccurate as usual and the return of ground and pound hasn't yielded much. The new Jet right tackle (77 Austin Howard) is actually OK. And that is the best you can say about the Jet offense.

Newton has made some fine throws and moved the ball but he has been under duress a lot, needing to throw away multiple times. He did have a horrible fumble after he slipped on his own avoiding a pass rusher. Ryan Kahlil might be a high draft pick with a future but the rest of the line is a sieve and pass blocking a problem. And they might have a worse run game than the Packers.

Both defenses look good.

The Panthers had a CB who hit a Jet TE on the knee trying to break up a pass reception. It was clean because I think the ball was there but was a direct blow to an exposed knee. Just terrible and unnecessary.

Jets failed to get anywhere after the Newton turnover on Panthers own 12.

pbmax
08-26-2012, 08:24 PM
This BOSE sound commercial on my crummy TV sound sounds great. :roll:

pbmax
08-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Of a Jet WR whiffing on a rare Sanchez good throw, Panthers get an INT. Show good run game up middle and to the right, Newton throws for score. But lost Stewart to ankle injury on play that made it goal to go.

pbmax
08-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Jets let the clock run out at the end of the half and get booed in own stadium. Fantastic.

ThunderDan
08-26-2012, 08:58 PM
You know what I really liked about the first half so far? Laundry blowing up the Carolina WR legally. Instead of going high for the kill shot he drilled him right in his hip.

Lurker64
08-26-2012, 09:09 PM
I think this game could well set back offensive football 30 years.

pbmax
08-26-2012, 09:13 PM
OK. What defensive coaches have made a successful transition to HC and not screwed up their offenses? How did they do it?

Parcells ran a troglodyte offense at times but it worked with Dan henning and others.

Belicheck does it with mirrors and no name assistants, but his Super Bowl seasons had very basic offenses. His most productive offenses have come with poorer defenses and no SB wins, but 2 Super Bowl appearances are not too shabby.

Dungy needed to get fired and move to a team with a HOF QB.

Rex Ryan has a mess of an offense. Too early to tell with Ron Rivera.

Lovie Smith had a mess until FA signings imported the 2008 Bronco offense. We shall see.

Schottenheimer believed the hype about running the ball and couldn't get his offense untracked until he had Joe Montana and then some Chief offenses after that were mediocre.

Tom Landry figured it out with Staubach and Danny White. But they drafted fantastic talent.

Please add to the list. My still formulating contention is that O coordinators who get the HC gig somehow leave the D coordinator alone, while D coordinators who become the HC cannot stop meddling. At least the bad ones can't.

pbmax
08-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Tebow needs help. He is never going to get a chance to develop normally when they keep putting him in gimmick offenses. His only hope is 3rd string on the Packers or Urban Meyer taking the Buckeyes pro.

pbmax
08-26-2012, 09:16 PM
You know what I really liked about the first half so far? Laundry blowing up the Carolina WR legally. Instead of going high for the kill shot he drilled him right in his hip.

With his shoulder? Old fashioned football?

Eddie Shore?

pbmax
08-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Derek Andersen is on fire!

RashanGary
08-26-2012, 09:24 PM
I'd love to see Tebow as our backup QB. All he does is win. He shattered the mold. Unleash Tim Tebow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMK9FKMG3Nc

Seriously, I think MM could get him playing good football.

Guiness
08-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Keep it coming! I've got a 'friend' who's a Jets fan - our FF league draft is coming up and you're giving me a lot of fodder to rattle him!

pbmax
08-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Keep it coming! I've got a 'friend' who's a Jets fan - our FF league draft is coming up and you're giving me a lot of fodder to rattle him!

Derek Andersen would start on the Jets tomorrow.

Guiness
08-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Derek Andersen would start on the Jets tomorrow.

You're not kidding, are you? Please tell me you aren't.

TravisWilliams23
08-26-2012, 11:16 PM
OK. What defensive coaches have made a successful transition to HC and not screwed up their offenses? How did they do it?.

George Seifert was successful in San Fran with 2 hall of fame QB's and Mike Holmgren and Mike Shanahan as offensive coordinators during his Super Bowl years. That helps a hell of a lot! But he was smart enough to let them run the offense which might be half the battle to having a good transition from defensive coordinator to head coach.

Iron Mike
08-27-2012, 07:05 AM
With his shoulder? Old fashioned football?

Eddie Shore?

http://onemillionlyrics.com/images/h/hanson-brothers--img-mc4b83136e38fb62f80eeeab526540c59.jpg

pbmax
08-27-2012, 08:15 AM
You're not kidding, are you? Please tell me you aren't.

I am not kidding. But he wouldn't be much of a step up. But Sanchez is just an awful starter.

pbmax
08-27-2012, 08:16 AM
George Seifert was successful in San Fran with 2 hall of fame QB's and Mike Holmgren and Mike Shanahan as offensive coordinators during his Super Bowl years. That helps a hell of a lot! But he was smart enough to let them run the offense which might be half the battle to having a good transition from defensive coordinator to head coach.

Good choice. And that fits my theory, he left the offense alone.

Pugger
08-27-2012, 08:37 AM
It was interesting to see a breakdown of Tebow's throwing motion last night. He turns his hand so you can see the back of it in a cocking motion before he releases the ball. His mechanics suck. It is a shame nobody taught him how to throw the ball when he was in HS or a Florida Gator. That kid needed to go to a team with decent QB coaches. I think with a competent teacher he can become a serviceable NFL QB but lord knows if anybody in NY is gonna fix his throwing motion.

pbmax
08-27-2012, 09:09 AM
It was interesting to see a breakdown of Tebow's throwing motion last night. He turns his hand so you can see the back of it in a cocking motion before he releases the ball. His mechanics suck. It is a shame nobody taught him how to throw the ball when he was in HS or a Florida Gator. That kid needed to go to a team with decent QB coaches. I think with a competent teacher he can become a serviceable NFL QB but lord knows if anybody in NY is gonna fix his throwing motion.

The best description of his motion is elongated. Both before when he had a big loop (or hitch/drop the football) low like someone throwing an eephus pitch and now when he has made it more straight-line and eliminated the ball dip, it takes a while for that thing to get going and I think it has a couple of effects.

1. As Collingworth pointed out, its a tenth of a second delay from Sanchez who stinks out loud. That may not be long, but ...

2. Its a red flag in front of the bulls in the secondary. Because when that windup starts, its not stopping. He is throwing with all his might. If he tried to pull it down his shoulder would dislocate and the ball would hit the deck. So if you can see him when he starts to throw, there need be no hesitation about where its going. No pump fakes for Timmy. And when he stares down receivers, it just too easy to read.

3. The more motion in a movement, the better chance something is going to be off slightly. So it enhances his inaccuracy.

You can see the kinds of routes that work of for him. Someone running deep that has turned around the defender so they can't see the ball thrown. Or comebacks, where the WR gets between the ball and the defender and likely has gotten enough depth to begin to turn the defender around.

QBME
08-27-2012, 09:49 AM
I think this game could well set back offensive football 30 years.

I heard on the radio this morning that the Jets have not scored a touchdown the entire preseason. Not a single stinkin' touchdown.

Cheesehead Craig
08-27-2012, 11:55 AM
OK. What defensive coaches have made a successful transition to HC and not screwed up their offenses? How did they do it?

Tomlin has done a decent job with Pittsburgh. It's not fantastic but it's not bloody awful either.

pbmax
08-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Tomlin has done a decent job with Pittsburgh. It's not fantastic but it's not bloody awful either.

Good point, but there has been some intrigue there as well. I think he inherited Arians (not sure if team insisted or not) and Rothliesberger loved him. Arians was WR coach then promoted to OC.

Now they have a legacy candidate in Todd Haley as OC (his Dad was front office fixture). We'll see.

Pittsburgh is famous for keeping Head Coaches around but they are also famous for meddling with assistants and personnel authority. Its part of what drove Cowher away.