PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for Sherrod

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2012, 06:20 PM
http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2012/08/27/packers-announce-moves-to-75-sherrod-still-on-roster/

Interesting development .... TT evidently thinks Sherrod back sooner than later. Odd. Sign of desperation or faith healing?

RashanGary
08-27-2012, 06:32 PM
http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2012/08/27/packers-announce-moves-to-75-sherrod-still-on-roster/

Interesting development .... TT evidently thinks Sherrod back sooner than later. Odd. Sign of desperation or faith healing?

I do think Sherrod will be back this season. I've heard MM say he's getting better, but with the Packers training staff, they are really careful bringing guys along. If I had to guess, I'd guess Sherrod is on the 53, but he's not even the top backup at either tackle spot until later in the season. He's had months off where he hasn't worked a lick on his technique. His strength is down. If they PUP him, he won't be able to practice for 6 weeks. I think he has enough talent, if they think he's close to getting on the practice field, it would be worth keeping him on the roster so he can work on his fundamentals for the next several weeks. If they PUP him, he'll have 6 weeks away from practice. Then when he does come back, he's so raw, I'd expect him to be a real liability. We really can't afford 12 weeks of not having him ready. Sure, you waste a roster spot on a guy whos' not ready, but if he can practice soon, you'd think he'd be ready in 4-6 weeks or so. That's 4-6 better than if they PUP'd him.

Regardless, Sherrod's career has taken a real setback here. I highly doubt he'll be anything better than a poor OT this season, not matter how it shakes out. Maybe, barely maybe he could be decent if he gets on the field now and doesn't have to play until the end of the season. He needs time to practice and time to get stronger. Time is a luxury he really doesn't have this season.

In the mean time, Newhouse is getting stronger and stronger. . . getting more and more experience, getting more and more comfortable with the line, getting more and more fundamentally sound. The more time goes by, the harder it's going to be for Sherrod to supplant Newhouse. Newhouse has a chance to grab that job by the nuts this season. In that case, Sherrod is looking at being a backup for a couple seasons.

Smeefers
08-27-2012, 07:51 PM
I don't know about not working on technique at all. That's probably the one thing he can do while injured. Study the play books and opposing DL's and work on footwork. Of course none of that is a substitution for playing games or being a go for the practices. Otherwise I'm pretty much with ya JH.

imscott72
08-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Surprised they haven't put him on the PUP yet..Seems like a formality..

RashanGary
08-27-2012, 08:30 PM
I don't know about not working on technique at all. That's probably the one thing he can do while injured. Study the play books and opposing DL's and work on footwork. Of course none of that is a substitution for playing games or being a go for the practices. Otherwise I'm pretty much with ya JH.

Maybe. I don't know what they're allowed to do. I'm pretty sure if they're on PUP they can't practice at all.

imscott72
08-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Maybe. I don't know what they're allowed to do. I'm pretty sure if they're on PUP they can't practice at all.

Correct..

pbmax
08-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Reserve/PUP is no practices with team but they still have access to training staff.

Active/PUP I think they can have access to coaches and that is what Quarless, Zombo and Sherrod were on in camp. Zombo and Quarless are now reserve. Sherrod is still Active/PUP.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Surprised they haven't put him on the PUP yet..Seems like a formality..
What that article was suggesting is that if the Packers intended to put Sherrod on PUP, they would have done so before cut-down to 75.

Maybe that theory is wrong, I sure don't see how Sherrod plays the first 6 games of the season.

Smidgeon
08-28-2012, 12:02 PM
What that article was suggesting is that if the Packers intended to put Sherrod on PUP, they would have done so before cut-down to 75.

Maybe that theory is wrong, I sure don't see how Sherrod plays the first 6 games of the season.

My guess is that Sherrod is close enough that the PUP isn't cut and dry yet. If they get to Friday and think he's only a couple weeks away, he'll stay active. If they don't see improvement, they'll PUP him.

MadScientist
08-28-2012, 01:13 PM

Sign that the other backup tackles are shitty, and even a rusty Sherrod is better than those Rodgers-killing stiffs.

My guess is that Sherrod is close enough that the PUP isn't cut and dry yet. If they get to Friday and think he's only a couple weeks away, he'll stay active. If they don't see improvement, they'll PUP him.

Given the backup situation, they will probably only PUP him if they are convinced that he will be out for 6+ weeks. I'm convinced that 80% of Sherrod is better than 110% of the other backups.

BobDobbs
08-28-2012, 08:04 PM
He needs the work. If he can practice before week six, then you have to keep him on the 53. To my mind the Oline has been the weakest position group from top to bottom this preseason.

Deputy Nutz
08-28-2012, 08:49 PM
The best thing the Packers can do is let him completely heal and them let him learn how to play offensive tackle. I dont believe he is good enough to protect Rodger's blind side in 2012. He was raw in 2011 and I don't believe that has improved after recovering from an off season of rehab and recovery. Maybe if he was able to participate in training camp but he has done little or no football activities since breaking his leg.

imscott72
08-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Sign that the other backup tackles are shitty, and even a rusty Sherrod is better than those Rodgers-killing stiffs.

Given the backup situation, they will probably only PUP him if they are convinced that he will be out for 6+ weeks. I'm convinced that 80% of Sherrod is better than 110% of the other backups.

He's the LT of the future. He needs to be 100%..

Upnorth
08-29-2012, 11:13 AM
I truely hope he does overtake Newhouse in the future, but I hope they don't rush him into play. Newhouse is at least a top 15 LT in the league, so for Sherrod to overtake him he would be something special.

RashanGary
08-29-2012, 11:35 AM
I truely hope he does overtake Newhouse in the future, but I hope they don't rush him into play. Newhouse is at least a top 15 LT in the league, so for Sherrod to overtake him he would be something special.

I'm with ya there. I just like Marshmallow a lot. I think he's greatly undersold. Where he came from, how he had to bounce around. . . . His first year starting wasn't all that different than Bulaga's and Bulaga is a stud. I don't think he's at that level, but I really like his game. I'd love it if Sherrod beat him out too, but I have some real doubts with Sherrod. Something just doesn't fit for me. Last year he had zero punch. He did a good job getting in the way, but he was really overpowered. That can change with big strength and technique gains, but boy, he's had a horrible start to his career. Just tough breaks (no pun intended) If I had to go with the odds, I think Newhouse is going to own that job. Hopefully I'm wrong and Sherrod turns into a stud.

Another cool think about Newhouse. . . . He doesn't have that prototype build. Sometimes those little perception things really skew a players value. I think Newhouse could be a low priced, solid LT for a number of years. I know people don't always look at the cost part, but a penny saved is a penny earned and paying half price for a solid LT opens up some cash to keep guys like Jennings, Matthews, Raji, Rodgers, Bulaga, etc. . . . If you have studs, you want to keep them. You don't want to spend all of your money on them though. You need solid players around them. Bargains (like i think Newhouse could be, are the best glue pieces to a star laden team.

pbmax
08-29-2012, 12:15 PM

Can't agree on 15th or better. His pass pro is too shaky and McGinn and the scouts don't seem impressed by his run blocking (even if its better than Clifton). I would guess bottom half of Left Tackles, but I have not made a list.

He was judged on of the worst by pro football focus, but I don't remember if they went by raw totals or per game averages.

BobDobbs
08-29-2012, 01:22 PM
I haven't been liking Newhouse this pre-season. I think he's a journeyman, but he's young and the line is gelling so maybe there is hope. If Sherrod had looked good last year I'd be more excited, but O Lineman usually take a little time.