PDA

View Full Version : HERM EDWARDS---TIERING THE NFL COACHES

Bretsky
08-29-2012, 07:17 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/167756735.html

Hmmmmm; I think Herm is full of Beans..........comments ?

RashanGary
08-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Wasn't able to see the full video, but IMO MM hasn't earned HOF yet, so I can see leaving him off that list.

mraynrand
08-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Hmmmmm; I think Herm is full of Beans..........comments ?

not too interesting - his HOF worthy criteria is longevity and/or multiple championships. HOF worthy: Bill Belichick, Mike Shanahan, Tom Coughlin, Jeff Fisher, Andy Reid and Mike Tomlin. I'm not sure I want any of those guys in the HOF. Belichick cheated, Shanahan has had too many years of marginal teams, and Fisher and Reid can't win championships. Coughlin's had a few good runs, but is inconsistent. Maybe Tomlin.

Stubby needs a couple more championships; I think he wants to rival Lombardi in GB - IMO that's what he needs to be HOF eligible, but generally I want the bar set pretty high.

Upnorth
08-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Considering how hard it is for a coach to get in having 6 listed as HOF is kinda excessive. Herm loves talking nice about people. Do any coaches currently playing deserve the HOF? Belicheat will always have a black mark, but he will get in. Toughlin is in NY so gets big media push, but does he deserve it? His teams are so hot and cold and that to me reflects poorly on a coach. Sustained excellence is a HOF coach and I don't see it from Coughlin. Tomlin has 2 sb's and an always competitive team but injuries and player stupidity hurt him a bit. Shanahan needed Elway to be much of anything. Fisher was very good for quite a while but never truely great. Reid has the best regular season credentials, but fairly poor postseason record.

Smidgeon
08-29-2012, 11:13 AM
I liked McCarthy's ranking. But then I realized the whole list was invalidated because he overvalued a lot of coaches. Maybe one or two in the HOF category. And John Fox in Elite?????? Pretty much guaranteed for me that the list was utter nonsense.

pbmax
08-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Shanahan should not get HoF consideration. Nor should Reid or Fisher. Tomlin probably qualifies with continued success. Belicheck yes.

Zool
08-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Shanahan should not get HoF consideration. Nor should Reid or Fisher. Tomlin probably qualifies with continued success. Belicheck yes.

If Fisher turns the Rams around and wins a SB, then he could be in the running.

Patler
08-29-2012, 02:06 PM
I've never quite understood the media's fascination with Andy Reid. I think he is a good head coach; but elite, meriting HOF consideration? Not by a long shot.

There has probably been no team during Reid's tenure with more disappointing seasons than the Eagles. Time and time again he was considered to have one of the very best teams in the NFC, and he has little to show for it. It's not just that he hasn't won a SB, it's that he has been a top contender for many, many years and has gotten there just once. At the end of the year, the Eagles are very often one of the most disappointing teams.

The have a history of being underachievers based on preseason evaluations.

pbmax
08-29-2012, 03:39 PM

Quite possibly, since that would be in 2 Super Bowls with 1 win, but that win is far from given with the rebuilding job ahead. I think he is the flip side of Reid, steady and effective on the defensive side of the ball but still missing something, some fatal flaw that at times has included his side of expertise.

pbmax
08-29-2012, 03:39 PM
I've never quite understood the media's fascination with Andy Reid. I think he is a good head coach; but elite, meriting HOF consideration? Not by a long shot.

There has probably been no team during Reid's tenure with more disappointing seasons than the Eagles. Time and time again he was considered to have one of the very best teams in the NFC, and he has little to show for it. It's not just that he hasn't won a SB, it's that he has been a top contender for many, many years and has gotten there just once. At the end of the year, the Eagles are very often one of the most disappointing teams.

The have a history of being underachievers based on preseason evaluations.

Reid = Schottenheimer?

Patler
08-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Reid = Schottenheimer?

Ya, maybe.

Upnorth
08-29-2012, 05:15 PM

I just hope that if he wins with the rams he beats the titans. That would be great to watch.

QBME
08-29-2012, 06:26 PM
I just hope that if he wins with the rams he beats the titans. That would be great to watch.

If he does, it'll have to be in the Super Bowl. This season in any case.

Smeefers
08-29-2012, 06:36 PM
That's a tough pill to swallow. I agree with pretty much everyone here. He had a lot of coaches way to over valued. Here's smeefers, adding absolutely nothing to the conversation. Again.

Smidgeon
08-29-2012, 07:46 PM
That's a tough pill to swallow. I agree with pretty much everyone here. He had a lot of coaches way to over valued. Here's smeefers, adding absolutely nothing to the conversation. Again.

Here's Smidgeon. Adding rep points for absolutely nothing. Again.

;)

Bretsky
08-29-2012, 07:50 PM

FIVE CLAPPPER

How is Fischer, Tomlin HOF now ?

Hoody Genius.........he's the best I've ever seen (I'm not old enough for Vince)
Coughlin...........maybe........but the dude was nearly fired a couple times

Reid is the Curtis Martin Hall of Famer. Consistently very good but never great

Tomlin..........not yet