PDA

View Full Version : C Benson Article

QBME
08-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Nothing earth shattering, but an interesting snippet from today's Chicago Tribune.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-spt-0829-pompei-cedric-benson-packers--20120829,0,319295.column?page=1

Upnorth
08-29-2012, 10:32 AM
So he has 1529 carries with 19 fumbles and is a power rusher. Injuries early in his career plus competition kept his snap count down. Now he has missed 4 games in 3 seasons. He has almost always been in a run first offense, and now will be part of a feared passing offense. I am drinking the koolaid big time now after being a little slow to take my first sip.

Tony Oday
08-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Is 1,100 yards with 5 TDs, a 4.0 average and 2 fumbles a great season for him?

King Friday
08-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Is 1,100 yards with 5 TDs, a 4.0 average and 2 fumbles a great season for him?

On an offense where he is going to see a lot of 6 man fronts, I would expect more from Benson for a truly great season. Remember, this was an offense that built a ton of big leads last year...and likely will again this year. Benson is going to get a good amount of carries IMO, and have some opportunities to bust off big chunks against defenses struggling to cover the entire field.

I think 16 carries a game is a reasonable estimate (256 total) and 4.4 YPC gets him to 1,125 yards. I think 8 TDs is very reasonable target, considering how often the team gets into scoring position. Fumbles shouldn't be an issue unless he loses more than 3. McCarthy is a fan of a run game. If Benson looks good, I think the Packers will utilize him more than we think to take some of the pressure off the passing game and the OL.

Patler
08-30-2012, 04:40 AM
On an offense where he is going to see a lot of 6 man fronts, I would expect more from Benson for a truly great season. Remember, this was an offense that built a ton of big leads last year...and likely will again this year. Benson is going to get a good amount of carries IMO, and have some opportunities to bust off big chunks against defenses struggling to cover the entire field.

I think 16 carries a game is a reasonable estimate (256 total) and 4.4 YPC gets him to 1,125 yards. I think 8 TDs is very reasonable target, considering how often the team gets into scoring position. Fumbles shouldn't be an issue unless he loses more than 3. McCarthy is a fan of a run game. If Benson looks good, I think the Packers will utilize him more than we think to take some of the pressure off the passing game and the OL.

So, essentially, you are expecting him to have the best year of his career?

rbaloha1
08-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Over analysis.

The dude is a baller period. End of story.

Zool
08-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Over analysis.

The dude is a baller period. End of story.

I think the idea of a forum is to talk about stuff.

rbaloha1
08-30-2012, 12:02 PM
I think the idea of a forum is to talk about stuff.

You are correct -- no matter if its fingernails on the chalkboard.

Fritz
08-30-2012, 12:44 PM

Are there other players you think we should not bother debating since it's perfectly clear to you which players are ballers?

rbaloha1
08-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Are there other players you think we should not bother debating since it's perfectly clear to you which players are ballers?

A-rod, Jennings, Nelson, Finley, Cobb, Matthews, Sitton, Bulaga, Williams, Woodson.

Fritz
08-30-2012, 12:48 PM
A-rod, Jennings, Nelson, Finley, Cobb, Matthews, Sitton, Bulaga, Williams, Woodson.

Thanks.

You're putting Benson with that crowd, eh?

Zool
08-30-2012, 12:55 PM

A perfect example is the possible greatness still lurking in Shawn Merriman's rotted husk of a body.

rbaloha1
08-30-2012, 01:26 PM
A perfect example is the possible greatness still lurking in Shawn Merriman's rotted husk of a body.

You are correct sir -- sure brought in the fan mail though.

RashanGary
08-30-2012, 01:39 PM

I actually do think he'll have the best season of his career. He's never been in an offense even close to ours.

rbaloha1
08-30-2012, 04:49 PM
I actually do think he'll have the best season of his career. He's never been in an offense even close to ours.

Hope you are right -- its certainly very possible.

King Friday
08-30-2012, 05:32 PM

Yes. If he remains healthy, I think he will have the best season of his career. It helps having the league MVP handing you the ball.