PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to play themselves On/Off the roster on Thursday

BobDobbs
08-29-2012, 01:19 PM
So, my bet is that most people here could predict at least 48 of the roster spots. But, Ted and Mike say that decisions have not been finalized on the rosters or positions. Let's take them at their word. Who is making it onto the 53 and who is going home because of what happens in the last game?

DBs:
Probably the most talked about group in camp. I think the top 8 spots are taken and then there are one or two spots for Jennings, Levine, and Richardson. I'd take Levine and Richardson.

LBs:
This gets a little confusing because of the Walden thing. Does So'oto get one free week on the roster? Beyond that I think that Jones and Manning are competing with Gurley for a special teams spot. I get rid of Jones
You could argue that Francois and Lattimore are playing for a spot, but I think they are safe.

DL:
They probably keep 6. That means Muir and Merling are competing. Weirdly Merling has seemed stouter and Muir has seemed like he shoots gaps more frequently. I thought it would be the other way around. I take the 320 pounder that has showed a little pass rush, Muir stays.
Also, is Neal playing for a spot on the team. He's been OK, so you keep him for injury protection, but if he doesn't show up is he cut if no one is on IR by October?

OL:
I have no idea what they are going to do. Is Sherrod close enough to keep on the 53? If you do that then do you keep 9 OL? I think that this game may be more important for Wells than anyone else on the roster. If he shows he can backup LT in week 1 then he'll make it. Datko is a big guy with good feet and those guys are hard to put on the PS. But, if we're carrying Sherrod, and Datko can't play in week 1 then how do you fit him on the roster?
This position group and safety are the two that I could see someone being added by another team.
I think Sherrod stays, Wells stays, Datko is gone.

TE:
Pretty obvious I think. Could be a surprise who knows? Crabtree and Taylor aren't total locks, but I think they make it no matter what happens the last game.

RB:
I think Saine and Starks both make it. But I think this is a big game for Saine. Tyler is gone.

WR:
I haven't been on the Gurley train all preseason, but he has played well on special teams. Last game he was fantastic. I want him on the team now. Get rid of Brad Jones.
Could Boykin make a push? Borel is auditioning for other teams, he won't make this roster.

QB:
Is Harrell playing for his job? The coaches have been behind him and the Pack has not had an experienced backup QB for years. So, it seems like he's going to be here. I don't see room on the roster for Coleman, but this is a game that may change his fate. He should see some playing time.

In summary, the corners and safeties are playing for a starting spot. And, I think the guys with the most on the line are Saine, Gurley, Wells, Muir, Merling, So'oto, Jones, Manning, MD Jennings, Levine, Richardson, Harrell, and Coleman. That's 13 guys for 6 or 7 spots.
What do you think?

RashanGary
08-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Moses, Barclay and Boykin make it.

RashanGary
08-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Borel looks like his shoes weigh 10lbs a piece. For a guy his size, you have to be quick. He's not. Gurley is just plain inconsistent and plays much smaller than he is.

Boykin plays quicker, bigger, better hands and more natural than the other two. I think he's a real talent.

Here are some nice Boykin clips. He's #81. A lot of his highlights are adjusting to off throws. I like that. Also, he looks strong, breaks tackles. He's not a 4.7 guy. He had a hamstring injury. He's 4.6. It's borderline, but it's fine if a receiver is as talented as Boykin is. Boykin is my guy this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRJb5lZaQpM

Smeefers
08-29-2012, 06:43 PM
I think So'oto is gone. He barely made it last year and hasn't done a thing since. I do not think they keep both Saine and Starks. That would put us up to 5 RB's, 1 FB and 4 RB's. You gotta look at the last two, maybe even three as special teamers and they're not built for it. I actually think Saine is gone and We start the year with benson, green, starks and kuhn. I wouldn't be surprised if Starks was gone, but I don't think it's going to happen. I don't think any of the bubble WR's are going to make it. Maybe they make it on the practice squad, but these fellas just did not show up this month. I thought Gurley was going to make it seeing as they paid him league minimum last year, but ya can't impress if you're hurt and he had that problem. No way he makes the team as a 6th reciever on a maybe. I also think it would be crazy to get rid of Harrell. If Rodgers goes down early in the season we're pretty screwed, but I think we're more screwed with a veteran who doesn't know the offense than we are with the kid who does.

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2012, 07:31 PM
I guess the big news cuts will be Harrell and Neal.

BobDobbs
08-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Moses is for sure on the team.

Boykin is difficult to see how he fits, he's been the 6th best receiver, but haven't seem him do it on special teams. I hope he sticks on the practice squad, but with a monster game he could make the team. I think I'm over weighing Gurley's last game, but he blocked well, covered great(he absolutely blew up one punt return) and he almost blocked a punt. But he's done next to nothing as a receiver.

If they go with only 4 RBs that's pretty light, especially if one of them is James Starks, one turned ankle and you've got 2 guys at the position. Hard to know until we see Saine play.

I'm trying to get used to the idea of Harrell. Obviously a guy who has had so much time in the system has to have an advantage. So, I just have to live with him.

I'm personally cheering for Sean Richardson. He plays tough, I like him.

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Here's how I hope the roster looks:

QB (3) - Rodgers, Harrell*, Coleman
RB (5) - Benson, Green, Starks, Saine, Kuhn
WR (5) - Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Driver
TE (4) - Finley, Williams, Taylor, Crabtree
OL (9) - Newhouse, Lang, Saturday, Sitton, Bulaga, Dietrich-Smith, Wells, Sherrod, Datko
DL (7) - Pickett, Raji, Wilson, Worthy, Daniels, Muir, Neal**
LB (8) - Perry, Hawk, Smith, Matthews, Walden***, Moses, Lattimore, Francois
DB (9) - Woodson, Williams, Burnett, McMillian, Shields, House, Hayward, Bush, Richardson
ST (3) - Crosby, Masthay, Goode

* Replace Harrell after cuts with a better QB on another team
** Carry Merling until Neal's suspension is over. I might even take Merling over Neal at this point--unless Neal is showing better in practice.
*** Carry So'oto or Manning until Walden's suspension is over

If we can sneak Coleman and Datko onto the practice squad, even better.

Packers4Glory
08-30-2012, 08:28 AM
I really think they will release Starks. He'll be the "surprise" cut.

With Benson, Kuhn, Saine, and Green handling the RB duties. There really isn't a need for starks. If someone goes down, you can likely find a FA who can perform just as well as Starks. But I really feel like the Packers are going to stick to Benson and Green as the main runners at tailback. They tried to have a 2 back split carry system last yr and it really never worked. Benson will be the main guy and Green will be the 3rd down back. Starks shouldn't take carries away from Benson unless Benson was hurt or needed a rest. And if that happens I'm fine w/ Saine, Kuhn, or Green getting those touches.

Coleman will be on the PS unless he unexpectedly gets a job somewhere else.

I think they keep Sherrod on the 53 so he can practice as he gets better so he's available a bit later. I think he's closer than people might think which is why he wasn't put on the PUP already.

Only other thoughts are I think we do keep 4 TE. Taylor makes it because of ST and Crabtree makes it for his blocking.

rbaloha1
08-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Its extremely competitive give the few cuts during the 75 cutdown day.

IMO Ross and Merrill make the roster over Shields. Merrill offers a legit return man should this be required given Cobb could have a bigger receiver role. Ross plays within the scheme well. Richardson also makes the squad and is not another big safety with stiff hips (cannot recall the ex-Packer (#37) from Vatech a few years ago).

As for the wrs Borel and Gurley -- its time to go in another direction due to injuries and drops. Like Boykin -- plays fast with nice hands. #7 can also play rb and has big upside potential. Dale Moss should be signed to the practice squad.

Smidgeon
08-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Here's how I hope the roster looks:

QB (3) - Rodgers, Harrell*, Coleman
RB (5) - Benson, Green, Starks, Saine, Kuhn
WR (5) - Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Driver
TE (4) - Finley, Williams, Taylor, Crabtree
OL (9) - Newhouse, Lang, Saturday, Sitton, Bulaga, Dietrich-Smith, Wells, Sherrod, Datko
DL (7) - Pickett, Raji, Wilson, Worthy, Daniels, Muir, Neal**
LB (8) - Perry, Hawk, Smith, Matthews, Walden***, Moses, Lattimore, Francois
DB (9) - Woodson, Williams, Burnett, McMillian, Shields, House, Hayward, Bush, Richardson
ST (3) - Crosby, Masthay, Goode

* Replace Harrell after cuts with a better QB on another team
** Carry Merling until Neal's suspension is over. I might even take Merling over Neal at this point--unless Neal is showing better in practice.
*** Carry So'oto or Manning until Walden's suspension is over

If we can sneak Coleman and Datko onto the practice squad, even better.

I like the list a lot, but somehow I think Brad Jones sticks because of his versatility and special teams play. Don't know where though. And I hate seeing a fifth rounder cut... :\

Smidgeon
08-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Its extremely competitive give the few cuts during the 75 cutdown day.

IMO Ross and Merrill make the roster over Shields. Merrill offers a legit return man should this be required given Cobb could have a bigger receiver role. Ross plays within the scheme well. Richardson also makes the squad and is not another big safety with stiff hips (cannot recall the ex-Packer (#37) from Vatech a few years ago).

As for the wrs Borel and Gurley -- its time to go in another direction due to injuries and drops. Like Boykin -- plays fast with nice hands. #7 can also play rb and has big upside potential. Dale Moss should be signed to the practice squad.

I'm going to do my best to channel my inner Brandon:

If you think the Packers are going to cut Shields, you're crazy. He's way more talented, and the Packers just won't let that talent go.

rbaloha1
08-30-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm going to do my best to channel my inner Brandon:

If you think the Packers are going to cut Shields, you're crazy. He's way more talented, and the Packers just won't let that talent go.

That is undeniable. But if you are consistently beat and an inconsistent tackler why should you remain -- especially when others are stepping up and making plays?

Other Packer observers have remarked SS poor training camp performance and demotion (not just because of injury).

Suffice to say, this game determines roster spot. A big time performance locks it down.

Fritz
08-30-2012, 12:52 PM
So does Lawrence Guy end up on the practice squad? Or is it too difficult to hide prototypical-sized 3-4 DE's with potential on the practice squad?

How has he looked in camp?

Smidgeon
08-30-2012, 01:16 PM
That is undeniable. But if you are consistently beat and an inconsistent tackler why should you remain -- especially when others are stepping up and making plays?

Other Packer observers have remarked SS poor training camp performance and demotion (not just because of injury).

Suffice to say, this game determines roster spot. A big time performance locks it down.

I personally think they'll hold onto him and continue to work with him. He may not see the field as much as he has if he isn't reliable, but I really don't think they're going to cut him. Not yet.

rbaloha1
08-30-2012, 01:24 PM
I personally think they'll hold onto him and continue to work with him. He may not see the field as much as he has if he isn't reliable, but I really don't think they're going to cut him. Not yet.

Have you watched SS play in the preseason?

Smidgeon
08-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Have you watched SS play in the preseason?

I have. You and I have come to different conclusions based on his play. I don't think he's a superstar, but I don't think he's too unreliable to keep either.

rbaloha1
08-30-2012, 04:51 PM
I have. You and I have come to different conclusions based on his play. I don't think he's a superstar, but I don't think he's too unreliable to keep either.

Fair enough. Certainly this game determines a lot.

rbaloha1
08-30-2012, 06:53 PM
SS played his way onto the roster.

Big time showing with tackling, coverage and interception.

Please overtake Bush!

mission
08-30-2012, 10:12 PM

Big time showing with tackling, coverage and interception.

Please overtake Bush!

I've said it numerous times, but no Packer covered better than Sam Shields last season as the year progressed. His tackling was always suspect, but the notion that he's in trouble or he's on the bubble I've felt was ridiculous during training camp. Coaches might have given that vibe publically but no way would they cut him. Owns crazy tools. They trusted this kid in the Super Bowl. He's been to war with this team and made big plays, just needs his swagger back. He looks aggressive out there.

He needed motivation and they've been giving it to him by dangling a carrot. I don't believe he was playing for a roster spot tonight at all.

I like the total package of Davon House better, but again, that's not available and we don't *really* know if that one game was what we'd get out of him each week.

Harlan Huckleby
08-30-2012, 11:10 PM
I guess the big news cuts will be Harrell and Neal.

what a moron

rbaloha1
08-30-2012, 11:47 PM
what a moron

Both are secure.

Neal finally showed what we have been waiting for.

BobDobbs
08-31-2012, 12:32 AM

What a shock! I can't tell if you're serious or not, but you were the only one that thought Shields wouldn't be on the roster. If you imagine something and it doesn't happen, that doesn't mean it was avoided.

Just sayin'. I still think Shields is going to be a big time player.

HarveyWallbangers
08-31-2012, 01:18 AM
I was impressed with a lot of players on the bubble.

WR - All three guys had good games. Gurley showed some deep speed that I didn't think he had. Boykin looks polished. I thought Borel looked the most pedestrian of the three this preseason, but run after the catch on one of his balls tonight was nice. It's going to be a hard cut between Boykin and Gurley. Boykin looks a tad better, but Gurley gives us a dimension we don't have and he looked faster tonight than last year.

DL - Neal looked a lot better in this game. Daniels showed pass rush. Worthy showed hustle.

LB - Walden is over his slump, and he looks like he's made a case for some playing time.

CB - Shields will probably start. Bush is what he is. Hayward has been a disappointment to me. House is injured. Ross has flashed.

smuggler
08-31-2012, 01:25 AM
I have been hot and cold on Hayward. He's a rookie at a tough position, though. Ross is gone. He just doesn't have it.

rbaloha1
08-31-2012, 09:42 AM
What a shock! I can't tell if you're serious or not, but you were the only one that thought Shields wouldn't be on the roster. If you imagine something and it doesn't happen, that doesn't mean it was avoided.

Just sayin'. I still think Shields is going to be a big time player.

My position was SS was in trouble which was also affirmed by some beat writers after a poor camp and bad game 3. Another poor performance would have made it close in securing a roster spot. As stated earlier -- the House injury aided SS's roster spot.

SS played well. Need to see consistency -- Woodson stated that SS needs to play through the entire play. SS concentration lapses and inconsistent tackling remain an issue.

Again, hopefully SS beats out Bush prior to the niners game.

rbaloha1
08-31-2012, 09:43 AM
I have been hot and cold on Hayward. He's a rookie at a tough position, though. Ross is gone. He just doesn't have it.

Hayward is playing too tentative. Ross is a practice squad player.

rbaloha1
08-31-2012, 09:46 AM

WR - All three guys had good games. Gurley showed some deep speed that I didn't think he had. Boykin looks polished. I thought Borel looked the most pedestrian of the three this preseason, but run after the catch on one of his balls tonight was nice. It's going to be a hard cut between Boykin and Gurley. Boykin looks a tad better, but Gurley gives us a dimension we don't have and he looked faster tonight than last year.

DL - Neal looked a lot better in this game. Daniels showed pass rush. Worthy showed hustle.

LB - Walden is over his slump, and he looks like he's made a case for some playing time.

CB - Shields will probably start. Bush is what he is. Hayward has been a disappointment to me. House is injured. Ross has flashed.

Agree with your thoughts.

Question -- Have Gurley and Boykin shown enough to trade James Jones? My answer is no. Gurley is not a smooth route runner. I would keep Boykin over Gurley.

BobDobbs
08-31-2012, 09:51 AM

The whole DL looked really active. Even Guy. I thought that Merling looked like an NFL lineman. He hasn't showed a lot of pass rush, but he had a flying leap toward the QB last night that was more than I thought he could do.

Richardson might have played himself onto the 53, McGinn thinks that Barclay did too. No idea with the wide receivers, but you have to think that Boykin is going to be on someone's roster. He doesn't look like a rookie.

So'oto played himself off. Manning might have also. MD Jennings didn't do much.

McMillian wasn't on the bubble, but that play when he missed his block, the punt gets blocked, and then he recovered and ran it for the first down? That's the ultimate shit your pants then clean it up play. It was kind of amazing just to see.

RUnuts
08-31-2012, 10:23 AM
I hate myself for saying it but with the showing of the three new WRs I'm not sure we can afford to pass on 2 of the 3 of them and keep Driver. Ok, I'm going to go flog myself as penance.

rbaloha1
08-31-2012, 10:30 AM
I hate myself for saying it but with the showing of the three new WRs I'm not sure we can afford to pass on 2 of the 3 of them and keep Driver. Ok, I'm going to go flog myself as penance.

Its not easy and tempting but DD gets the nod.