PDA

View Full Version : C.J. Wilson is named starter.

mmmdk
08-30-2012, 11:10 AM
C.J. Wilson beat out Jerel Worthy. Congrats to C.J. but it actually has me worried [about the depth of GB DL].

Thoughts?

rbaloha1
08-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Not a big fan of Wilson. However is stout holding at the point of attack on running plays allowing the lbs to flow to the ball carrier.

Wished Worthy would have seized the spot.

George Cumby
08-30-2012, 11:24 AM
He's a gamer just not overly talented. Definitely a little concerning.....

MadScientist
08-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Where did you see this? Worthy was always penciled in for passing downs, so I'm guessing this is just for the base / running downs.

rbaloha1
08-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Where did you see this? Worthy was always penciled in for passing downs, so I'm guessing this is just for the base / running downs.

Yes, run downs only.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/wilson-earns-start-in-packers-base-defense-1k6m0ik-167930065.html

Brandon494
08-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Pretty much expected, hes a good run defender. Worthy and Daniels will sub in on passing downs.

Fritz
08-30-2012, 12:53 PM
So if you're an OC for an opponent, do you call passes when the base D is in and runs when Worthy and the pass-rushers check in?

Lurker64
08-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Remember that the "base defense" is really more of a dedicated run-stopping formation, and that's actually what Wilson excels at. He offers little as a pass rusher, but is excellent against the run. When the Packers line up in nickel or dime (which should be most snaps anyway), Worthy's ability as an up-field gap splitter are more applicable, so you might as well keep him fresh by not asking him to do what he's not good at right now.

Rookie DL usually take a while to come on anyway. It's exceptionally rare for a rookie defensive tackle to be an impact player.

CaptainKickass
08-30-2012, 03:32 PM
That's better than I thought when I read the title.

For a minute there I thought he was in charge of defending the team from this:

http://www.oldfishinglures.biz/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/huge-demon-fish.jpg

Bass Defense!

rbaloha1
08-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Remember that the "base defense" is really more of a dedicated run-stopping formation, and that's actually what Wilson excels at. He offers little as a pass rusher, but is excellent against the run. When the Packers line up in nickel or dime (which should be most snaps anyway), Worthy's ability as an up-field gap splitter are more applicable, so you might as well keep him fresh by not asking him to do what he's not good at right now.

Rookie DL usually take a while to come on anyway. It's exceptionally rare for a rookie defensive tackle to be an impact player.

The Packers are not asking for impact -- just play your assignments. Once Worthy consistently plays assignments correctly, Worthy easily supplants Wilson. Hopefully sooner rather than later.