PDA

View Full Version : BACKUP QB

Bretsky
09-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Come on man

Any waived players jump out at you as being a better young prospect and/or a better backup QB for da Pack

Let's assume we don't want a seasoned old vet; that is not MM's mojo. He's a great developer of the QB.

Am I the only one seeing a couple who were cut and I think are better prosepcts than what we have ??

Lurker64
09-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Harrell knows the offense, so he's going to be the #2 over anybody we sign (unless it's like, Matt Flynn.)

Harrell showed Thursday that if you actually block for him, he can be competent. That's enough for me.

Brandon494
09-01-2012, 04:23 PM
I doubt it but I wouldn't mind giving Hoyer who the Pats just released.

rbaloha1
09-01-2012, 04:25 PM
The Packers have spent 2 years with GH.

GH is fine.

pbmax
09-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Come on man

Any waived players jump out at you as being a better young prospect and/or a better backup QB for da Pack

Let's assume we don't want a seasoned old vet; that is not MM's mojo. He's a great developer of the QB.

Am I the only one seeing a couple who were cut and I think are better prosepcts than what we have ??

There wasn't much interesting cut loose. If Hoyer was the name everyone was surprised about, its slim pickings. I think the Cardinals have all the mediocre QBs locked up. Just like the Dolphins a few years ago.

Bretsky
09-01-2012, 05:57 PM
I doubt it but I wouldn't mind giving Hoyer who the Pats just released.

I was thinking of him as well as the ex Northwestern QB

King Friday
09-01-2012, 07:12 PM
I think it is better to stick with Harrell for now. In reality, we need a Doug Pederson type QB...someone who knows they can't cut it as a starting QB in the league and is comfortable hanging out behind Rodgers. If you keep getting prospects like Flynn, then you have to keep replacing them. Better to get a guy who is happy being a #2 for 5-6 years. You can always have a developmental QB at #3 if you need one.

Tony Oday
09-01-2012, 07:29 PM
There is no reason to add a vet QB. Without AR this team is done.

gbgary
09-01-2012, 09:30 PM
saw a report on twitter that we're interested in matt moore from mia.

HarveyWallbangers
09-01-2012, 10:28 PM
That twitter report appears to be just speculation by LaCanfora.

Saw this on ESPN

Morning take: Trade winds apparently are blowing again in Miami. The most likely candidate is veteran Matt Moore, who played well last season, but doesn't look good in the Dolphins' new West Coast offense.

And thought to myself, "if he doesn't look good running our offense in Miami, why would we want him?"

Lurker64
09-01-2012, 11:00 PM
That twitter report appears to be just speculation by LaCanfora.

Saw this on ESPN

And thought to myself, "if he doesn't look good running our offense in Miami, why would we want him?"

I think that the Packers are going to be linked (by the national media) to any QB who isn't perceived (by the national media) to be competent enough to not soil himself in the pocket. There won't be any substance to this, but since there's no accountability in sports journalism, sports "journalists" will often link a player to a team because it makes sense, not because there is any actual indication of interest. Because if it doesn't happen, nobody will hold the person who reported it accountable (do we even know the identity of the Dolphins writer who said James Jones was going to be traded there?), and if it does happen you look good.

So the system just incentivizes speculation masquerading as news.

SkinBasket
09-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Vince Young is a game changer.

Pugger
09-02-2012, 07:34 AM
I was thinking of him as well as the ex Northwestern QB

Which QB is that?

pbmax
09-02-2012, 08:19 AM

And game changing is getting cheaper too.

KYPack
09-02-2012, 09:21 AM

He's got "it".

Or at least he had it.

pbmax
09-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Bretsky, please choose one:

Quarterback
Brian Hoyer
Donovan McNabb
Vince Young
Josh Johnson
Seneca Wallace
A.J. Feeley
Chris Redman
Josh McCown
Sage Rosenfels
Curtis Painter
Billy Volek
Kellen Clemens
Mike Kafka
Patrick Ramsey
Jim Sorgi
Troy Smith
J.P. Losman
Mark Brunell
Kevin O’Connell
Jeff Garcia
Brett Ratliff
Tom Brandstater
Rhett Bomar
Sean Canfield
Nathan Enderle

pbmax
09-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Offense: http://thesidelineview.com/columns/caplans-nfl-corner/best-available-nfl-free-agents-offense

Defense: http://thesidelineview.com/columns/caplans-nfl-corner/best-available-nfl-free-agents-defense

rbaloha1
09-02-2012, 12:25 PM
He's got "it".

Or at least he had it.

MM qb school could salvage his career.

Bretsky
09-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Bretsky, please choose one:

Quarterback
Brian Hoyer
Donovan McNabb
Vince Young
Josh Johnson
Seneca Wallace
A.J. Feeley
Chris Redman
Josh McCown
Sage Rosenfels
Curtis Painter
Billy Volek
Kellen Clemens
Mike Kafka
Patrick Ramsey
Jim Sorgi
Troy Smith
J.P. Losman
Mark Brunell
Kevin O’Connell
Jeff Garcia
Brett Ratliff
Tom Brandstater
Rhett Bomar
Sean Canfield
Nathan Enderle

I'd like to see Hoyer, Kafka, and maybe Matt Moore spend a year in GB and go through the QB school.

Are you saying you'd choose Graham Harrell over all of the above mentioned players and Moore ?

BTW, if I had to choose one to play an extended period of time for Green Bay this year if Rodgers missed six games...........that player would be Jeff Garcia

pbmax
09-02-2012, 02:36 PM
There is no developmental guy I want more, no. Kafka was in a very advantageous situation is Philly and he still couldn't be #3. He lost out to re-engineered Trent Edwards. Moore will cost someone picks and is having trouble in a West Coast offense as someone else pointed out.

I agree about Garcia being a nice middle-reliever, though not sure when he last threw a pass in anger. But his veteran status means he will be available until disaster strikes somewhere.

Lurker64
09-02-2012, 04:34 PM
The developmental quarterback I want is B.J. Coleman.

Hooray, we've got that guy already!

Joemailman
09-02-2012, 09:07 PM
I don't think the Packers want their backup QB to be a guy who has little chance to be anything more than a backup QB. They want their backup QB to be someone who they think is good enough to be a starter some day. So they will stick with Harrell for now and try to develop Coleman who certainly does have the physical talent.

Fritz
09-03-2012, 08:44 AM
It would bug me if Kafka wore the green and gold, but maybe with MM's quarterbacks school, the guy could undergo a metamorphosis.