PDA

View Full Version : Which GM's Operate Like Thompson?

Fritz
09-03-2012, 09:02 AM
After reading about the makeup of this year's roster, and after seeing comments from UDFA's who sign with Green Bay (they often mention they signed with GB - despite seeming roster depth at their position in some cases - because the Packers have a reputation for giving UDFA's a real chance to make the squad), I wonder if any other GM's, and if so which ones, operate like Ted.

Every year, it seems that nearly all of his draft choices make the team, and every year, it seems like at least a couple UDFA's make the team. This year, all but two of Thompson's draft choices made the squad, and the two who didn't are on the practice squad. I believe that four UDFA's made it (Barclay, Richardson, Boykin, and Charlton Heston).

I just don't know much about how other teams work this. I do know that in Detroit, they're patchwork-quilting their defensive backfield with players they've recently traded for (they sent a conditional draft pick to Washington for someone) or picked up on waivers (some guy who played for the Chargers and Bills and was recently released by the Broncos).

Anybody with more league-wide knowledge know of GM's who do or don't operate the way Thompson/McCarthy do?

mission
09-03-2012, 09:44 AM
DP

mission
09-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Job security. A lot of GMs don't have it.

Draft and develop takes a lot longer than "gotta win now" even though GWN GM tactics rarely equate to winning now.

EDIT -- I thought you said why not who...
Who does it to more of extent than others? Usually the good teams. Patriots, Steelers, Giants, 49ers, etc... but you knew that

Fritz
09-03-2012, 11:26 AM
I figured as much the Steelers, yes, and maybe the Giants. But the Pats seemed to have gone in a slightly different direction a few years ago - trades and signing bigger name FA's - but they have a slightly different tendency in terms of trading current picks to stock up on lots of higher-round draft choices. Still a focus on the draft, but more on stockpiling picks.

But you probably hit it on the head. Maybe the vast majority of GM's would like to work this way, but very few have the job security (ie, the patience of the owner) to work it like this. Maybe that's why we should be worried about Martin Mayhew in Detroit. He has an owner who's so patient he gave Matt Millen about seven years to wreck his already lousy franchise. In some ways Mayhew echoes Ted (following his draft board to the T), but in other ways he's still feeling his way.

Other teams? Other views? How does it work in Minny now? And in Chicago, with their old GM gone, how are they proceeding?

Guiness
09-03-2012, 05:42 PM
When I was looking at depth charts around the league, Detroit's stood out as one of the more dysfunctional. Only 4 WR's and 3RB's (no fullback), and only 50 guys total. I guess they weren't happy with what they had in camp, and are looking to pick up some other players.

Brandon494
09-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Steelers are the only franchise that operate like the Packers IMO.

LegandofthePack15
09-03-2012, 06:19 PM
I think Thompson likes to keep undrafted free agents/late round draft picks b/c they remind him of who he was as a player. He likes underdogs.

Ron Wolf had no patience with mediocre rookie nobodies/ young players. Players like Mike Neal, Terrell Manning and Graham Harrell would've been cut already if Wolf were still in charge.

sharpe1027
09-04-2012, 12:03 PM
It seems like every time we identify a TT tendency, he does something different. I think his tendency is to adjust his strategy for the current situation by exploring all avenues.

Edit: How cliche was that post?

Fritz
09-07-2012, 08:38 AM
When I was looking at depth charts around the league, Detroit's stood out as one of the more dysfunctional. Only 4 WR's and 3RB's (no fullback), and only 50 guys total. I guess they weren't happy with what they had in camp, and are looking to pick up some other players.

I love how dysfunctional the Rats are. How many people spend their time perusing the entire rosters of other NFL teams? How cool is that!

And I am glad to hear that the Lions' roster seems unbalanced and weird. But I wonder if they kept more guys at linebacker and tight end positions for special teams?

Oh, and a Detroit side note - another JSO article mentions that the Lions are once again one of the oldest teams in the league. About sixteen guys, I think, over age 30? And the Packers have five.