PDA

View Full Version : Packers -v- 49ers game week conversation

RashanGary
09-03-2012, 04:02 PM
On defense, the 49ers are incredibly talented, particularly in their base defense. The right side of their 34 defense consists of DE Justin Smith (7.5 sacks) OLB Aldon Smith (14 sacks) ILB Patrick Willis (considered the best ILB in the game at the moment) FS Dashon Goldson (I don't know if anyone has watched him play, but he's a great safety) and CB Terrell Brown (6 year vet, coming off a 4 interception season with 15 pass breakups. It was a breakout season for him)

The rest of their base defense isn't quite as talented as that right side, but still very, very talented and in the primes of their careers.

If we line up and go toe to toe with their base defense, we are going to be in real trouble.

If they have a weakness, it's their nickle and dime back. I visited some 49ers forums and they're interested to see how their nickle and dime backs hold up. If nothing else, they're unproven.

Marshall Newhouse is going to be working on the side both SFs top pass rushers line up. If we spread it out, 4-wide and Benson or Green miss a pass protection assignment, Aaron Rodgers is going to be laying on his back, getting speared in the back, getting crushed into the ground, right shoulder first, or any number of sickening, bone crushing hits you can imagine. I think this is a game we should utilize Kuhn as the lone back and Rodgers personal protector while we attack what looks like the only weakness on that elite defense.

As for our defense, Gore, Vernon Davis and Crabtree are their top playmakers. They drafted WR AJ Jenkins in the first round and acquired Randy Moss/Mario Manningham. They are not short on talent, not in the least bit. They have one of the best OL's in football. Down the line

Probowl LT - Joe Staley
Beastly bruiser LG, 3rd year player - Mike Iupati
11 year vet, C - Jonathan Goodwin
7 year vet, RG - Adam Snyder
Highly talented 3rd year player at RT - Anthony Davis

If they have a weakness, it's at quarter back. We want Alex Smith to beat us, and here's how we do it.

1. We don't give up the big play. Quick points are exactly what we don't want.

2. Stop the run. Much of the 49ers offense is predicated on the run. To do this, our LBs are going to have to bite, and when they do, Smith is going to get some chances over the middle off play action. Woodson, Burnett and our nickle/dime players are going to have to play well.

3. Tackle. Since we're committing a lot of our focus on preventing the big play, and stopping the run, the 49ers WILL have several opportunities to complete passes. That's fine, but when they do we have to tackle. If we tackle, Smith will have to complete pass after pass after pass. If we do these three things, the offense will hinge on Alex Smith. He's not a bad player, but we're up against a talented team and it's our best shot at both turnovers and forcing punts.

And then there are the givens.

Win the turnover battle. Our defense is built to stop the pass. Matthews is a beast. Perry collapses the pocket. Worthy and Daniels were brought in for one reason, and Raji, if given a free rush, can break down a pocket with the best of them. We get turnovers, and this year I think we have a pass rush to make things more consistent. That's assuming we don't turn the ball over, get behind and have to play a more honest defense. We're built to win shootouts, at least until the young defense gets it's game legs.

Win the ST's field position battle. Obvious reasons. We're going up against a pretty equal opponent. The little things make a big difference.

Be smart with penalties. We can't give up first downs to their offense, and we can't force punts on ours. Again, just the little things.

This is a brutal first game. BRUTAL. I'd flip a coin on this one.

RashanGary
09-03-2012, 04:11 PM
As a funny side note, it would be fun to send out our relentless retard to maul Moss and Crabtree at the line. Bush, if nothing else, can frustrate the shit out of a WR trying to get off the line. Both Moss and Crabtree are the type you can get in their heads. It would be funny to watch them battle to get off the line against Bush. And then outside runs, it would be equally hilarious to watch those two try to block Bush. The best blockers in the game can't get their paws on him, and pound for pound he's one of the toughest players on our team. IMO, he's also the best tackler on our team, especially in the open field. ON top of that, it's not like Smith isn't the type of QB who's going to capitalize on every little mistake. Even his coverage liability is minimized a little here. He actually brings a little something to this game. If there is a such thing as a team Jarrett Bush matches up well against, this is it. I'd definitely have a little smile on my face to go with the worry if Bush is our opening day starter. If nothing else, he'd entertain the shit out of both us, and them at varying times.

Joemailman
09-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Nice writeup, but I strongly disagree with 1 point:

I think this is a game we should utilize Kuhn as the lone back and Rodgers personal protector while we attack what looks like the only weakness on that elite defense.

If you have Kuhn as the lone back, the 49ers don't have to respect the Packers running game. The Smiths and Willis are tough enough to block in pass pro even if they have to respect the run. They're nearly impossible to stop if they can just pin their ears back. Bwenson has to be a factor in this game or Rodgers will be under constant pressure.

RashanGary
09-03-2012, 04:18 PM
And I couldn't disagree more strongly. Kuhn can run the ball a little and putting Rodgers well being in Newhouse and Benson or Green's hands might be the absolute most retarded thing we could do, not only for this game but for the rest of the season, and maybe Rodgers entire career. No fucking way I spread it out with one of them as the last line of defense in the backfield. Not against this team.

Use Kuhn, hard counts, moving pockets and inside runs by Kuhn to slow them down. Kuhn is actually a weapon is our pass game. There's a reason he's our 3rd down back, and it's not because he makes our passing offense worse. Like I said. You're not going to run against this team. They're beasts up front. You have to attack the weakness. Might as well treat every play like it's 3rd down and go against their dime defense all day.

Upnorth
09-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Benson was said to be a good blocker. Use him instead of Kuhn. Also why not use Kuhn as a lead blocker a few times. They will not expect that, and after that look at how the play action opens up. Finally the two te formation using both finley and williams to block or go out 5 wide. I believe it was you JH talking this formation up and boy could I do damage.

As to our defense I am just gonna close my eyes and listen, I don't think it will be pretty.

gbgary
09-03-2012, 04:25 PM
that sf run d will be softened up by our passing game. running out of pass formations and play-action will be successful and we'll kill 'em.

mission
09-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Very nice write up, JH... you've been posting a lot of good stuff, but I have to kind of agree with Joe here. I say spread it out, 4-5 WRs + Finley and get the ball out quick, quick, quick! Get those extra backers off the field and replace with suspect 5th and 6th DBs. Automatically weaken their lineup. Now, you're on track with this, but the Benson on draws and slip screens should keep them honest enough for 12 to find his man. Kuhn is a 2 yard and a cloud of dust guy. He might bust a 6 yarder here and there but nothing to make the Niners respect the ground game.
I AM really worried about this game. Can't remember if I'm more nervous about this one or NO to kick off last season. Part of me expects a slow start to this season as the rookies mature, guys find their roles and the team really gels going into the playoffs like 2010.

I say flip a coin as well... just slightly weighted towards Tails as Aaron Rodgers is the ultimate tiebreaker.

Brandon494
09-03-2012, 04:28 PM
You might forget Justin that Benson is one of the best blocking RB in the league. Also the reason Kuhn was our 3rd down back last season was because he was the only back who could pass protect worth a damn, not because hes a weapon in our pass game.

mission
09-03-2012, 04:30 PM
You might forget Justin that Benson is one of the best blocking RB in the league. Also the reason Kuhn was our 3rd down back last season was because he was the only back who could pass protect worth a damn, not because hes a weapon in our pass game.

How many times do you remember Rodgers getting on Starks for going left when he should have gone right (or vice versa)? Especially at the end of the year... we just can't be having guys out there who don't know what they're doing. Talent is one thing, being a dumbass is another.

RashanGary
09-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Very nice write up, JH... you've been posting a lot of good stuff, but I have to kind of agree with Joe here. I say spread it out, 4-5 WRs + Finley and get the ball out quick, quick, quick! Get those extra backers off the field and replace with suspect 5th and 6th DBs. Automatically weaken their lineup. Now, you're on track with this, but the Benson on draws and slip screens should keep them honest enough for 12 to find his man. Kuhn is a 2 yard and a cloud of dust guy. He might bust a 6 yarder here and there but nothing to make the Niners respect the ground game.
I AM really worried about this game. Can't remember if I'm more nervous about this one or NO to kick off last season. Part of me expects a slow start to this season as the rookies mature, guys find their roles and the team really gels going into the playoffs like 2010.

I say flip a coin as well... just slightly weighted towards Tails as Aaron Rodgers is the ultimate tiebreaker.

I'll do a paypal bet to anyone who wants to take it, any amount you're interested in that we will average less than 3.8 yards per carry (take AR's runs out.)

They don't need to commit anything to the run. They're front 3 are dynamite run stoppers and the 4 linebackers are beasts too. They don't have to bite because they can get to the ball so fast even if they play the pass first. The threat of the run is nothing more than a joke in this game. A bad joke, on us. The worst part of that pathetic joke might be on Aaron Rodgers.

Brandon494
09-03-2012, 04:32 PM
BTW I'm not concerned a bit, we only struggle against elite QBs, not the Alex Smiths of the NFL. Yes the 49ers have one of the best defenses in the league but lets not forget which team has the best offense. My prediction is GB 27 SF 20 final score.

RashanGary
09-03-2012, 04:34 PM
If I had to bet, I'd bet on a win, but going toe to toe, trying to be balanced against this team is just a nightmare. We have to attack their only weakness, and we have to commit to it. When the Packers commit to the pass, there's one guy they use in the backfield. That guy, John Kuhn. And there is good reason for it.

I'll bet we see a whole lot of John Kuhn in the backfield, alone, in this game.

Brandon494
09-03-2012, 04:34 PM
I'll do a paypal bet to anyone who wants to take it, any amount you're interested in that we will average less than 3.8 yards per carry (take AR's runs out.)

They don't need to commit anything to the run. They're front 3 are dynamite run stoppers and the 4 linebackers are beasts too. They don't have to bite because they can get to the ball so fast even if they play the pass first. The threat of the run is nothing more than a joke in this game. A bad joke, on us.

Haha wow you sure are a gambler. :grin:

mission
09-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Haha wow you sure are a gambler. :grin:

Yeah, I don't really see an edge to exploit on that line, but even if Benson averaged 3.8 ypc against the 49ers, Kuhn would average 2.8 ypc. That extra yard can be the difference between honesty and playing the pass 100%.

mission
09-03-2012, 04:42 PM
FWIW -- I did take the Packers -5 this week. I rarely bet on my own team (and never against them), but we're either going to win by more than 7 or lose the game in one of those freak style multiple TO games that I really don't expect.

Patler
09-03-2012, 05:38 PM
As a funny side note, it would be fun to send out our relentless retard to maul Moss and Crabtree at the line. Bush, if nothing else, can frustrate the shit out of a WR trying to get off the line.

Huh?

Tony Oday
09-03-2012, 06:41 PM
I think we will destroy the 49ers...three scores minimum

rbaloha1
09-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I don't really see an edge to exploit on that line, but even if Benson averaged 3.8 ypc against the 49ers, Kuhn would average 2.8 ypc. That extra yard can be the difference between honesty and playing the pass 100%.

Its not about the avg. -- it is about attempts in order for play action to work.

mission
09-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Its not about the avg. -- it is about attempts in order for play action to work.

Right, but if you don't respect the runner, you don't bite as hard on the play action. Play might still work from a results stand point, but getting that big time bite is only going to come from a legitimate threat. If the Packers had me out there as running back, you wouldn't see the linebackers cheat up at all on the run action because they know they can still stop me without over-committing.

ND72
09-03-2012, 08:35 PM
GB 34
SF 26

RashanGary
09-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Right, but if you don't respect the runner, you don't bite as hard on the play action. Play might still work from a results stand point, but getting that big time bite is only going to come from a legitimate threat. If the Packers had me out there as running back, you wouldn't see the linebackers cheat up at all on the run action because they know they can still stop me without over-committing.

Reporter from NFLN asked 20 personnel men to answer 20 questions. One of the questions was, "who is the most physical defense." The team with the most votes. . . . San Francisco.

We are not going to run on them (period.)

Also, their base defense is as experienced and talented as any in the league. Their nickle/dime players are unproven. In order for us to get both their nickle and dime back on the field, we will need 4 legitimate passing weapons. SF won't do it unless they have to. Their base is so freaking strong, they want to stay in it. This is one game where we're going to have to spread it out and pass.

We don't have a back I would trust to protect Rodgers right now other than John Kuhn. If we spread it out, AR will get one back to protect him. ONE. Do you want that guy to be Benson (few weeks into a completely foreign offense) or Green (barely played 20 snaps in the NFL) to be the guy we count on to keep AR from getting killed by the most physical defense in football? I don't. Kuhn might be the best in the business at what he does, and what he does is understand the offense and pass protection as well as anyone (I've heard AR say the only guy who knows the offense as well as he does is John Kuhn.)

We're going to use him quite a bit, I just have a feeling. And it makes sense. Us trying to keep them honest with the run in this game. . . . I just think it's a joke. Them catching Benson or Green off guard and killing AR. . . I think there's a high likelyhood of that happening if we leave them alone in the backfield. Some day we'll count on them more in that spot, but week 1, against this team. I don't think it's the time to put that to the test.

gbgary
09-03-2012, 09:18 PM
I think we will destroy the 49ers...three scores minimum

i was gonna say 2 tds. i like your thinking.

RashanGary
09-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Most defenses we're going to light up like some icky sticky in Madtown's bowl, but this one, probably not. That affects our defense. Since Dom plays almost exclusive nickle, and since VD is the type of TE that almost forces you to anyway, SF is going to be in position to ram the ball down our throats.

The 2-4-5 defense we play, with Raji and a poor run stopper (Worthy/Daniels are our nickle players next to Raji) is defenseless against a good run offense. They'll just toss us around like ragdolls.

If you absolutely have to get that 5th defensive back on the field, I hope it doesn't come at the expense of a defensive lineman in this game. I'd rather see Hawk taken off the field than CJ Wilson even. We need big guys to at least stalemate some of the time at the line of scrimmage. I really don't want to see Davis lined up on a linebacker, but equal to that, if we don't have a nice lead, I don't want to see Raji paired with an understrengthed rookie defensive lineman as the front line of our run defense. Good god, that's a recipe for disaster.

There are a lot of good things that could happen in this game that will really smooth over some of our weaknesses (namely getting ahead with big offense, turnovers and/or ST's play.) The same way we destroyed Atlanta's balanced offense in 2010, but if we don't get that nice lead, we're going to be looking at a really long day of 2 friggin DL being asked to neutralize 5 320 lb bad-ass lineman blocking for a healthy Frank friggin Gore. I don't like that matchup. It's not a very good matchup.

RashanGary
09-03-2012, 09:34 PM
If Capers is so in love with that 2-4 defense that nothing, even being the worst defense in the NFL will take him out of it, then please, Dom, at least pair Raji and Pickett in there. Just give us a chance.

RashanGary
09-03-2012, 09:45 PM
I hope, on Vince's grave, that McCarthy doesn't intend on getting into a ground and pound-bigger dick pissing match with this San Francisco 49ers team using our tiny, last rated 2-4 defense vs their utterly dominating version of the 3-4 and Cedric Benson vs their healthy Frank Gore. I hope on hope we make this an AR vs Alex Smith matchup. Literally, fuck Cedric Benson. Fuck Alex Green. Put the ball in AR's hand. Give him the best body guard possible and go to town on their dime defense with Nelson, Jennings, Finley and Cobb/Driver/Jones.

Oh, man, just listening to the people here, if the Packers have any intention of getting into that type of a pissing match with this team, we are doomed, literally.

Where is Wist when you need him. If ever there was a time to worry about going tiny on defense vs a dominant running team and then trying to run the ball with a finesse offense against one of the greatest defenses in the league, this is the time.

ThunderDan
09-03-2012, 10:19 PM
SF's O isn't that good. They worked on short field after short field with their D creating as many turnovers as ours did last year. I trust ARod and our O can do more damage against their D than their O can do against our D.

You will see a lot of 2 TE sets and no huddle (Upnorth, I was the one who loves this formation) let SF get in base and then split Finley wide. In no huddle SF won't be able to get out of the base an ARod will pick them apart. I would guess Finley's numbers will be 9-117-2TDs on Sunday.

George Cumby
09-03-2012, 10:33 PM
The Niners aren't as good as they looked last year, the ball bounced their way a lot and they were really lucky with injuries. I am not overly concerned. M3 isn't going to get into a "My dick is bigger than yours match" by trying to run the ball on the Niners. It will be the Pack's Air Game vs. the Niners Ground and Pound.

The Niners could win this one, but I doubt it.

31-17, Packers.

King Friday
09-03-2012, 10:42 PM
The no-huddle is the key to beating the 49ers. Use it early and often...and don't let their defense have a chance to catch their breath. Well, that and not turning the ball over.

RashanGary
09-03-2012, 10:50 PM
The Niners aren't as good as they looked last year, the ball bounced their way a lot and they were really lucky with injuries. I am not overly concerned. M3 isn't going to get into a "My dick is bigger than yours match" by trying to run the ball on the Niners. It will be the Pack's Air Game vs. the Niners Ground and Pound.

The Niners could win this one, but I doubt it.

31-17, Packers.

Now here's a positive post I can buy into! This is a tough game, no doubt, but we're going to have to open up on them. No secrets about it. There's no, hey, SF, you better stop our run to this thing. It's open up the fucking gates, here we come. While we might make some teams honest, and while we might be ready to run more later in the season, we're not doing it against this team and we're not doing it at this time of the season. Our passing game is oiled up and ready to race. Our running game, the way thigns have worked out, will be the last thing to come around. Put it on the shelf for this one. Just win the game. Do what we do best. Let's rip them up, let's take it to those young nickle/dime backs and make them wish they didn't show up. Let's attack their weakness and neutralize their strength. This is a wide open game, no question about it. This is all in AR's hands.

MadtownPacker
09-03-2012, 11:36 PM
I believe Rodgers will have to come off the field on a stretcher before he lets the 49ers beat him at home. He says all the right things to the media but inside he has to be saying "fuck them for passing on me". Just part of what makes his fire burn IMO.

BobDobbs
09-03-2012, 11:41 PM
I see what you're saying. But, really how much more on the shelf is our running game going to get? We use it as a garnish. I do think that you have to run a bit at least out of shotgun to try slow down the pass rush. They are very physical and disciplined, we won't be cracking off six yard run after six yard run. We'll have a pass heavy game plan just like every game plan we always have. I do think that you have to mix and match running backs. It looks like Kuhn is the third down back/personal protector judging from the preseason.

I think how the O-line plays, specifically Newhouse and Saturday, is the key to the whole game. If we can give the QB time we should win. ARod is probably going to have some grass stains on his jersey at the end, but he's good under pressure.

I'm definitely worried about their offense. The are run first, have a stable of backs, and have a great O-line especially on the left side. Pickett is going to get a ton of work. They've added a lot of speed to their skill positions, but they have a lot of good players no great ones. I've got more respect for Alex Smith than some people, but I do hope that they try to put more of the game in his hands. He's ok throwing on the run, but he gets jumpy. Last year he hardly threw any picks, but that was a statistical outlier for his whole career.

Special teams may be huge in this game. Last year the 9ers had dominant special teams. That combined with their turnover differential combined to give them the best starting field position in the league and the best opponents field position. That's the game they want to play. Eat up field, beat you up and then capitalize on short fields courtesy of Andy Lee and Ted Ginn Jr. That's not a game that we want to play.
We want to control the run and force them to deal with our pressure. Big game for Nick Perry, their right tackle is not nearly as good as their left. If he can cause some damage we are in business.

The wild card is what is Harbaugh going to do with the new receivers Moss, Manningham, and Jenkins. Can they actually stretch the field of play or is Smith just going to take a few potshots deep? Harbaugh has been cagey in the preseason and he didn't put much on tape. He's definitely got a few trick plays scripted to use this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see a tackle eligible or even a flea flicker.

This is a statement game for them. We've owned them for years and they want to be elite. It's the best game of the weekend. I can't wait.

Fritz
09-04-2012, 06:01 AM
Green Bay has four tight ends, two of whom can serve as blockers or pass protectors pretty successfully. You can use Kuhn but the other running backs as well if you have two tight ends in the game to help block.

RashanGary
09-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Green Bay has four tight ends, two of whom can serve as blockers or pass protectors pretty successfully. You can use Kuhn but the other running backs as well if you have two tight ends in the game to help block.

There are certain things in the NFL, with certain teams, I guess you could call them identities. These identities are not a secret to, well, anybody really. The 49ers like to play physical defense. They have a powerful base 3-4. The Packers like to spread it out on offense. They like to put the ball in the MVPs hand and chuck it around.

I can't imagine a scenario where the Packers break mold from their identity to play to San Francisco's identity. I can't imagine it so much, that I listened to Mike McCarthy's press conference and he said a part of the reason they kept 6 receivers is because there's no secret how they play football and that's not going to change. He said it with a little bit of a "we're going to pass it down your fucking throat and you're going to like it." attitude.

Look, the Packers are't going big, they are't going toe to toe with San Francisco. If they do, I have no confidence in McCarthy or humanity as a whole.

Pugger
09-04-2012, 08:04 AM
I fear this game is gonna be a lot closer than some of you think. We've always had problems with TEs like Davis. And we better be better against the run than we were against KC when our starters were in there. Maybe having Pickett back in there will help. If we can run just enough to keep SF from pinning their ears back and pummeling Rodgers we should be successful.

pbmax
09-04-2012, 08:40 AM
OK, way behind posting and reading but picked up one thing over the weekend while preparing to draft a completely mediocre fantasy team and it has some bearing on the 49ers (the item I read, that is, not the fantasy team).

Several of the reporters (esp. Bill Huber at Packer Report/Scout.com) are suggesting that the biggest change in the D this year will be the dime defense. Everyone knows how much this team played nickel, which we all have come to refer to as the 2-4 as Justin mentioned above.

What these reporters expect (no sources, just observation of camp reps) is a lot more dime instead of nickel. Basically adding one more DB and subtracting one LB (Hawk probably).

Depending on the O personnel, especially if a team keeps a TE in the game, that might make Woodson more linebacker than slot corner as we have seen before, esp in the dime. Because Bush/Hayward could be stuck on the slot receiver who the team least fears. This would be a response to the shellacking the Packers D took against good TEs in the middle of the field. One problem with my interpretation is that I have no idea if the Defense allowed Woodson to flop sides to shadow a target.

If a team has a good pass catching RB, it will also put a lot of pressure on DJ Smith, who they can isolate by moving Woodson and OtherSlotCB to the same side of the field.

Second problem with this observation/prediction is that with one LB, the dime is even more susceptible to the run.

Which leads me to my last point. We might see more base than we expect, even if there is more dime (which obviously means less nickel overall). To get a favorable down and distance for Capers dime, they will need to shut down the run far better than last year. And that would seem to mean more base in middling down and distance.

This theory is sort of all over the map, but camp seems to have suggested Woodson at safety is simply the start of changes to Capers scheme.

hoosier
09-04-2012, 09:41 AM
I would like to know where the myth of Cedric Benson being a good pass blocker came from.

Patler
09-04-2012, 09:57 AM
I would like to know where the myth of Cedric Benson being a good pass blocker came from.

Especially when Van Pelt said pass protection was his biggest hurdle to overcome; and JSO had comments from their unidentified sources (scouts) when he was signed who said pass protection was a weakness, along with fumbles.

I know someone on here had stats supporting an argument that he is very good at pass protection. I hope it was an accurate measurement of his ability and not just a statistical anomaly.

Bossman641
09-04-2012, 11:08 AM
I hope, on Vince's grave, that McCarthy doesn't intend on getting into a ground and pound-bigger dick pissing match with this San Francisco 49ers team using our tiny, last rated 2-4 defense vs their utterly dominating version of the 3-4 and Cedric Benson vs their healthy Frank Gore. I hope on hope we make this an AR vs Alex Smith matchup. Literally, fuck Cedric Benson. Fuck Alex Green. Put the ball in AR's hand. Give him the best body guard possible and go to town on their dime defense with Nelson, Jennings, Finley and Cobb/Driver/Jones.

Oh, man, just listening to the people here, if the Packers have any intention of getting into that type of a pissing match with this team, we are doomed, literally.

Where is Wist when you need him. If ever there was a time to worry about going tiny on defense vs a dominant running team and then trying to run the ball with a finesse offense against one of the greatest defenses in the league, this is the time.

Come on JH. You know better than that. MM knows his team. When has he ever coached that way? It'll be the same as always, spread the field, put the ball in AR's hands, and use enough screens to try to slow down the opposing DL.

I'm more worried about how our D will hold up against their running game then I am about how our offense will fare.

Bossman641
09-04-2012, 11:09 AM

X 2. I think somebody threw some stat out there once, but everything I've seen from scouts/analysts suggests he a is below average pass protector.

Fritz
09-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Having watched MM, when have we ever seen him try to play macho ball? He directs a mostly-passing offense.

What I meant with my Kuhn-two-tight-ends comment was not that I hoped MM would try to ram the ball down SF's throat; I was simply responding to what seemed to me to be an either/or argument: that either you use Kuhn because he can block, or you use everyone and pray AR doesn't get killed. I was trying to offer an alternative: would you have more choice of backs to use if you used some two-tight end looks to help with the blocking?

It doesn't mean you'd have to run more: you could keep one tight end in, or both in, to help block, then send Alex Green or Saine or whoever out to catch a pass, along with the two wide receivers. You could send both tight ends out and call a quick slant or something.

I'm just wondering if there are more options out there that make sense. I'm finally past wishing MM would run the ball more. It's a passing league now.

Freak Out
09-04-2012, 12:22 PM
All I know is that if the Packers OL and company can keep Rodgers on his feet they win the game. Mix in a run or three but keep on BOMBING away!

smuggler
09-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I think SF gets out to a 10-0 lead because of some silly thing we do. Then we roll, final score 34-17

pbmax
09-04-2012, 01:47 PM
I am having flashbacks to a Viking game early in McCarthy's tenure versus the dominating version of the Williams Wall, when it lead the NFL is run D and was close to, in not precisely, top-ranked.

Deciding he needed to run to keep Favre (I think) upright, McCarthy's O put up over 100 yards rushing on that D. Despite every mouth breather on the planet saying it couldn't be done, nor should it be attempted.

If McCarthy decides he needs to run to keep Rodgers functioning, he will try it.

He may construct something wholly new like he did for that Vikes game or stick with zone runs. But it won't be because of some pissing contest or phallic comparison contest. M3 has admitted to a couple of emotion driven decisions during games, but his game plans aren't constructed in the same manner.

And Benson's numbers for both pass pro and pass reception are better than his reputation, suggesting that the rep is overblown. Similar to how Starks and Grant were capable, though not the equal of Brandon Jackson, of being a 3rd down back. Its not going to be a tire fire, but it won't be clean like Jackson was. On the plus side, while neither Benson or Stark will pass protect like Jackson, both have 20 football IQ points on him for what to do with the ball in their hands on a screen and blockers in front.

Joemailman
09-04-2012, 01:59 PM
I am having flashbacks to a Viking game early in McCarthy's tenure versus the dominating version of the Williams Wall, when it lead the NFL is run D and was close to, in not precisely, top-ranked.

Deciding he needed to run to keep Favre (I think) upright, McCarthy's O put up over 100 yards rushing on that D. Despite every mouth breather on the planet saying it couldn't be done, nor should it be attempted.

If McCarthy decides he needs to run to keep Rodgers functioning, he will try it.

For the record, I believe the game you were referring to was in 2008, Rodgers' first start.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008090800/2008/REG1/vikings@packers#tab=analyze

RashanGary
09-04-2012, 04:35 PM
My biggest point on this game is that any package that allows SF to stay in base defense is a package we should not put on the field this week.

It doesn't matter if we have 20 fB's on the field and 30 running backs, they're not going to respect our run no matter how you slice it, and they don't have to. If htey're in base, they'll stop it anyway.

They'll be coming at AR's head, and the big difference in having 4 passing weapons with Kuhn protecting AR vs having blockers and backs is that instead of AR having a spread field with dominating passing weapons, he'll have fewer passing options and the run won't work anyway.

This just isn't the time or place to run the ball. Give Benson adn Green some time. It will come together, but for Sunday, against a defense that will do anythign to stay in their base defense, we can't just show up and do exactly what htey want us to do.

We will not run on this base defense. If AR gets time, we can light up their nickle/dime players. Just go all in on this one. Our best players on offense are our WRs and QB. That's who's shoulders you put the game on, the MVP and his dynamite receiving corp. Not a couple RB's who barely know what they're supposed to do.

pbmax
09-04-2012, 05:41 PM
If they follow your advice JH, won't all teh usual suspects how up and tell us M3 should have stuck with the run a little longer to slow down the pass rush of the 49ers?

Or perhaps your advocating the Dorsey Levens 1996/1997 vintage or Ahman Green versus the 2001 Ravens playbook of running from multiple wides?

MadScientist
09-04-2012, 06:03 PM
My biggest point on this game is that any package that allows SF to stay in base defense is a package we should not put on the field this week.

It doesn't matter if we have 20 fB's on the field and 30 running backs, they're not going to respect our run no matter how you slice it, and they don't have to. If htey're in base, they'll stop it anyway.

They'll be coming at AR's head, and the big difference in having 4 passing weapons with Kuhn protecting AR vs having blockers and backs is that instead of AR having a spread field with dominating passing weapons, he'll have fewer passing options and the run won't work anyway.

This just isn't the time or place to run the ball. Give Benson adn Green some time. It will come together, but for Sunday, against a defense that will do anythign to stay in their base defense, we can't just show up and do exactly what htey want us to do.

We will not run on this base defense. If AR gets time, we can light up their nickle/dime players. Just go all in on this one. Our best players on offense are our WRs and QB. That's who's shoulders you put the game on, the MVP and his dynamite receiving corp. Not a couple RB's who barely know what they're supposed to do.

Trying to run against their base with a standard running formation is likely to be a waste of a down. They may try to come up with a package that the 49's use base, but works well for passing to create the mismatch. Running plays could come from draws with a Benson + 4 wide grouping.

Harlan Huckleby
09-04-2012, 10:11 PM
I see San Fran has named their starting wide recievers.

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/images/moss270.jpg

pbmax
09-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Bush is #1 in base at RCB according to the first official depth chart of the year.

RashanGary
09-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Bush is #1 in base at RCB according to the first official depth chart of the year.

I never thought there would be a day where this came out of my keyboard, but I'm looking forward to seeing Jarrett Bush at starting CB. He's going to frustrate the hell out of WR's at the line, and he's a weapon against the run.

And he's gotten better in coverage. He'll disrupt the timing of a lot of plays, and it's not like he's in no mans land anymore. The QB still has to make a good throw.

If Capers wants to play that nickle defense as his base, Bush is actually a pretty good piece.

Smidgeon
09-04-2012, 11:00 PM
I never thought there would be a day where this came out of my keyboard, but I'm looking forward to seeing Jarrett Bush at starting CB. He's going to frustrate the hell out of WR's at the line, and he's a weapon against the run.

And he's gotten better in coverage. He'll disrupt the timing of a lot of plays, and it's not like he's in no mans land anymore. The QB still has to make a good throw.

If Capers wants to play that nickle defense as his base, Bush is actually a pretty good piece.

As long as coverage has nothing to do with tracking the ball in the air...

RashanGary
09-04-2012, 11:42 PM

Yeah, not exactly your ideal corner against a team like the Patriots. There aren't too many players who are good at everything. Bush has some real strengths. He's tough. Our #1 concern is Gore, and Bush will be able to put a lickin on those skinny WR's in SF. They'll have to get off the line to catch the ball, and even if they do, the timing should be disrupted. He'll really help contain outside runs.

If we're going to play 2 DL, it's not the end of the world if those two are Pickett and Raji. Throw Bush in there at CB and Perry at OLB, and that soft look isn't quite as soft.

BobDobbs
09-04-2012, 11:47 PM

That really is his weakness isn't it? Well it's the moment of truth for Jarrett Bush. I think he's the longest development project I've seen. He's going to be crazy wired, this long to finally have a starting job. I'm interested to see what he's going to do. They've got some decent receivers and they will definitely want to test him. I've got a friend who is entertaining the possibility that this is one long term mind fuck to motivate Sam Shields, because they wanted to start Bush against SF anyway. So, they've been starting him through camp as a ruse. I don't buy it, because then that means they left House in to play special teams so that he would be injured. Matybe the warren commision can figure it out.

This is a great thread by the way. Talking football strategy on a football forum. Love it. By the way that same friend asked me to talk about the 9ers on his podcast on Thursday night, so don't sue me if I use some of this food for thought. :grin: I'll give y'all credit where it's due.

Freak Out
09-05-2012, 12:45 AM
The SF running game is Gore, Jacobs and James....plus who? James is a interesting weapon.

Fritz
09-05-2012, 05:20 AM
Does SF's defense blitz a lot?

I hope that Arod is okay with dumping the ball off, or getting the ball out of the pocket quickly, anyway. You run all those receivers out there , SF blitzes, and you've got potential danger, Will Robinson. I hope Arod doesn't try to be all cool and make the big play every time. Take what they give, and stay upright. And yes, run the backs once in a while out of passing formations.

pbmax
09-05-2012, 08:37 AM

I have this hope that Woodson can develop telepathy with Bush and signal to him when to turn around. And whether to spin clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Or he just shouts BALL!

pbmax
09-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Does SF's defense blitz a lot?

I hope that Arod is okay with dumping the ball off, or getting the ball out of the pocket quickly, anyway. You run all those receivers out there , SF blitzes, and you've got potential danger, Will Robinson. I hope Arod doesn't try to be all cool and make the big play every time. Take what they give, and stay upright. And yes, run the backs once in a while out of passing formations.

I think Vic Fangio is the DC there and you will remember the defense because he is from the Jim Mora coaching tree WAY back in the USFL. Just like Capers. He also happened to be Capers D coordinator in Carolina. And he runs a 3-4.

He is not an all out blitz guy, but he will send pressure.

But he won't drop his pants.

rbaloha1
09-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Suggest the board listen to the Butler videos and read he JS 49er preview -- excellent stuff.

Expect Benson to play a huge role in the game due the 49er emphasis on AR.

pbmax
09-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Yesterday Pickett, DJ Williams, Tom Crabtree and Andrew Datko came back to practice

Today, Raji, Francois came back. Lattimore, Richardson and House still out. House worked briefly in drills with harness. Have not seen mention but possible Starks still not available either.

mraynrand
09-05-2012, 01:32 PM
IF Bush lines up across from Moss, he'll only have to cover 1 out of every three plays, and he'll never get blocked.

Guiness
09-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Weird seeing some +ve stuff about Bush. Transcendental almost.

I'm concerned about House and wondering if he's got some Harell like genes.

ThunderDan
09-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Weird seeing some +ve stuff about Bush. Transcendental almost.

I'm concerned about House and wondering if he's got some Harell like genes.

Don't mention Bush in Section 128 during the Gold Package games. We will throw you out.

RashanGary
09-05-2012, 04:55 PM
It looks like the Packers are easing House back into action. He went down on the 9th of August. They're working him into drills where he doesn't put extra strain on the shoulder.

It sounds very unlikely he'll be up this week. I would guess he's back somewhere around week 3 or 4. That's 6-7 weeks being out of action. Since he's too young to just take practice off and play Sunday, I have to think the Packers expect him to have a good recovery. I don't think he'd be on the 53 if they didn't.

pbmax
09-05-2012, 05:03 PM
IF Bush lines up across from Moss, he'll only have to cover 1 out of every three plays, and he'll never get blocked.

Moss is a dream matchup for Shields. Of course, because of past history, now that I wrote that my fingers are trembling.

pbmax
09-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Don't mention Bush in Section 128 during the Gold Package games. We will throw you out.

No one is on his side?! I might have to go to Stub Hub and rectify that.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSCCCCCCCHHHHH!

RashanGary
09-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Moss is a dream matchup for Shields. Of course, because of past history, now that I wrote that my fingers are trembling.

I'd love to see Bush on Moss. Just picturing Bush mugging Moss at the line gives me the smiley's. And since we're up against Frank Gore, it would be nice to have a guy who almost never misses a tackle on the perimeter.

BobDobbs
09-05-2012, 06:01 PM
I'd love to see Bush on Moss. Just picturing Bush mugging Moss at the line gives me the smiley's. And since we're up against Frank Gore, it would be nice to have a guy who almost never misses a tackle on the perimeter.

Let's be a little careful what we wish for. I don't want to see Bush on Moss unless it's an outdoor nude photo shoot.

BobDobbs
09-05-2012, 06:10 PM
I was watching Xs and Os with Leroy Butler and besides some crazy talk about converting 3 and 12 with a draw to Cedric Benson they brought up a couple interesting things.
One of them related to keeping a back in the backfield to block. Butler mentioned that in his career he would have responsibility for a running back and if the back stayed in then he would blitz. It's interesting because it speaks to Justin's point that we need to keep a back in for extra protection. Maybe sometimes running a pass pattern with your RB actually keeps a blitzer off of the quarterback.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45bIGYVXiEc

Bossman641
09-05-2012, 06:29 PM

Umm one of the few routes Moss can probably effectively still run is a go route. I don't want to see Bush losing the ball in mid-air while Moss comes down with it.

Guiness
09-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Umm one of the few routes Moss can probably effectively still run is a go route. I don't want to see Bush losing the ball in mid-air while Moss comes down with it.

I can see them trying that matchup as Moss isn't so dominant at this point in his career, but you have to think there's safety help deep...deep being 6 yards beyond the LOS.

Guiness
09-05-2012, 09:08 PM
I was watching Xs and Os with Leroy Butler and besides some crazy talk about converting 3 and 12 with a draw to Cedric Benson they brought up a couple interesting things.
One of them related to keeping a back in the backfield to block. Butler mentioned that in his career he would have responsibility for a running back and if the back stayed in then he would blitz. It's interesting because it speaks to Justin's point that we need to keep a back in for extra protection. Maybe sometimes running a pass pattern with your RB actually keeps a blitzer off of the quarterback.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45bIGYVXiEc

Good video, and I agree with you. Run an RB out to the flat and pull the safety or an LB to him.

I always marvel at how good NFL CBs are at sniffing out the run. When I played, if a WR took off, I was on my horse trying to stay with him. That was a lot more effective than blocking me!

RashanGary
09-05-2012, 09:21 PM
In concept, I'd rather have Benson back there too. For some reason, throwing him in there. . . . . it just scares the shit out of me. If he goes out there and pass blocks well, I'll have my words shoved right down my throat, and I hope I do.

I do think he could get yards out of the spread look, I just don't know if he's ready to protect AR.

If there is such a thing as a difference maker pass blocking FB, Kuhn is it. He really cleans up just about any mess there is. If Benson can just do a solid job, the gain he gives us on the draw plays might make up and surpass what we lose in pass protection.

I'm just freakin out about this game. The 49ers scare the shit out of me. I watched them down the stretch last year. . . . . They're friggin nasty.

RashanGary
09-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Read a blog post from JS. 49ers play a lot of that man with 2 over (similar to KC and the NYG.) Leaves them susceptible to draws, screens and QB scrambles. I might be eating my words on this one. If Benson can hold onto the ball and block, he's clearly our best option. Both of those ifs scare the living shit out of me. . . . . Ahhhh. . . . . . Kuhn can run draws too :) :)

This game just sucks. It's a bad matchup for us.

LegandofthePack15
09-06-2012, 06:21 AM
I'd love to see Bush on Moss.

Part of me would love to see that too. I'm starting Moss in one of my FF leagues this week.

LegandofthePack15
09-06-2012, 06:31 AM
The 49ers scare the shit out of me. I watched them down the stretch last year. . . . . They're friggin nasty.

Not me. Stop the run, stop Davis and you stop the 49ers' offense. Force Alex Smith to beat you and he will choke.

However, I'm more bit worried Rodgers' mediocre showing in the preseason will carry over into the season. I hope not.

rbaloha1
09-06-2012, 10:26 AM
IMO Williams starts on Moss mano to mano. Davis is double teamed with Burnett over the top.

Benson is key to the offense -- lets not forget the screen game which has been lacking in the Packer offense.

Upnorth
09-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Read a blog post from JS. 49ers play a lot of that man with 2 over (similar to KC and the NYG.) Leaves them susceptible to draws, screens and QB scrambles. I might be eating my words on this one. If Benson can hold onto the ball and block, he's clearly our best option. Both of those ifs scare the living shit out of me. . . . . Ahhhh. . . . . . Kuhn can run draws too :) :)

This game just sucks. It's a bad matchup for us.

So long as Benson stays in the screen better than our rb's did last year it could be a solid weapon for a pass based offense that uses play action.

That said I have no clue if he knows how to wait for his blocks or can run precise routes. If he can I am looking forward to his stat line. My understanding is he is a pounding running back, but I hope I am wrong.

RashanGary
09-06-2012, 11:34 AM
So long as Benson stays in the screen better than our rb's did last year it could be a solid weapon for a pass based offense that uses play action.

That said I have no clue if he knows how to wait for his blocks or can run precise routes. If he can I am looking forward to his stat line. My understanding is he is a pounding running back, but I hope I am wrong.

DeMarco Murray is clearly faster, younger, more physically gifted than Benson, especially now. That said, in the KC game, I saw Benson set up his blocks, IMO, better than Murray did last night. It's not that dick around, let the defense close kind of patience, it's the "just enough hesitation to get the block set, then burst" kind. He doesn't mess around, but he doesn't run with his head down either. Starks messes around a little too much IMO, Patient, but not instinctive with it. Grant just goes ahead no matter what. I think Benson is clearly better, but that's going off about 10 runs so who knows.

Freak Out
09-06-2012, 11:39 AM
So are the 49rs better than last year? Yes....their D is nasty but is Smith going to be any better getting the ball to all those weapons? Davis could kill is and Gore can be a force....James scares me because I watched him at Oregon so often but I still the Packers come out on top.

Freak Out
09-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Has Rodgers put the wood to Erin Andrews yet?

Pugger
09-06-2012, 11:55 AM
IMO Williams starts on Moss mano to mano. Davis is double teamed with Burnett over the top.

Benson is key to the offense -- lets not forget the screen game which has been lacking in the Packer offense.

Didn't Williams contain Moss the last time we played a team he was on? That goofball has been cut from so many teams lately I can't keep up... ;)

Packers4Glory
09-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Or perhaps your advocating the Dorsey Levens 1996/1997 vintage or Ahman Green versus the 2001 Ravens playbook of running from multiple wides?

this is exactly what I want to see in the running game. spread em out w/ a single back and run from that. Play action out of that. especially against this SF team. This isn't a defense where we can expect to line up against their base D and get anywhere w/ the run.

Packers4Glory
09-06-2012, 01:58 PM

He plays the run and blitzes from the CB spot like Woodson. obviously he doesn't have the cover skills of Woodson, but plays the run and blitz like Chuck. If he's left 1 on 1 w/ anyone I hope he's got help over the top. I don't want to see him matched up w/ a guy like Moss. I think he can handle Crabtree or Mario.

pbmax
09-06-2012, 03:06 PM
So are the 49rs better than last year? Yes....their D is nasty but is Smith going to be any better getting the ball to all those weapons? Davis could kill is and Gore can be a force....James scares me because I watched him at Oregon so often but I still the Packers come out on top.

I would expect overall San Fran to stumble a bit after a huge step forward. It would be typical. But their personnel hasn't gotten worse, so they will be a pretty severe challenge regardless of what their record is this year. However, McCarthy and Capers have had the entire offseason to watch tape of the new regime. They should be ready except for Moss.

pbmax
09-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Starks and Lattimore not practicing in the only padded practice of the week.

Even House in pads.

pbmax
09-06-2012, 03:15 PM
More officially from @WesHod of GBPG,

Crabtree, Francois, House, Richardson were all limited. Lattimore didn't participate. Starks out

Starks did workout in Hutson center. Raji was full go.

Freak Out
09-06-2012, 04:17 PM
As usual the local FOX station here in Anchorage will show the Seapukes game instead of the Pack. That's ok.....I'll be watching the game here this Sunday.

http://saraveza.com/

Upnorth
09-06-2012, 06:48 PM
As usual the local FOX station here in Anchorage will show the Seapukes game instead of the Pack. That's ok.....I'll be watching the game here this Sunday.

Free bacon night? Awesome! If I am ever in Portland I will have to check it out.

Freak Out
09-06-2012, 06:50 PM
It is a great little bar to start with...the fact that the owners are hardcore Packers fans makes it even better.

MadtownPacker
09-06-2012, 07:00 PM

Bring your penguin murdering ass down here and we will watch it and get twisted.

Freak Out
09-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Bring your penguin murdering ass down here and we will watch it and get twisted.

Where the fuck do you live again? Fresnek or Sactown? I can look at flights....although I do have a newly purchased 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI waiting for me in PDX.

Man...did I tell you my Doctor friend and neighbor writes weeds scrips now? :)

jmbarnes101
09-06-2012, 07:23 PM
The SF running game is Gore, Jacobs and James....plus who? James is a interesting weapon.

Kendall Hunter is the other back that you didn't mention.

Brandon494
09-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Didn't realize this but we have beated the 49ers nine straight regular season games which is the longest active streak in the NFL. Hope I didn't just jinx us. :|

Fritz
09-07-2012, 08:21 AM
I think MM is going to go for the throat early and often in this one. It'll be interesting to see how the defense plays, too, but I'm going to try not to scream at the television when one of the young guys blows an assignment. My fear is that we'll see that classic breakdown where Tramon Williams is expecting safety help over the top that he never gets. I'm going to try to remember this defense is a work in progress.

CaliforniaCheez
09-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Didn't realize this but we have beated the 49ers nine straight regular season games which is the longest active streak in the NFL. Hope I didn't just jinx us. :|

It is a great week for betting out here!!
Though some more experienced Niner people are reducing the amount bet. One guy remembering past losses would only bet a cup of coffee.

rbaloha1
09-07-2012, 12:34 PM
I think MM is going to go for the throat early and often in this one. It'll be interesting to see how the defense plays, too, but I'm going to try not to scream at the television when one of the young guys blows an assignment. My fear is that we'll see that classic breakdown where Tramon Williams is expecting safety help over the top that he never gets. I'm going to try to remember this defense is a work in progress.

Expect the Packers to go deep early as well. Hopefully this sets up Benson for big plays later in the game.

I will also be screaming and cheering at Bush simultaneously.

mraynrand
09-07-2012, 12:43 PM

And four straight times in the playoffs, if you ignore the '72 Munich refs in '98.

Tony Oday
09-07-2012, 02:09 PM
As long as the O line just gets in the 9ers way we dominate them. This is not like last year against the Saints. We will score at will and Alex Smith isnt fit to be a starter in the NFL.

smuggler
09-07-2012, 02:19 PM
As long as the O line just gets in the 9ers way we dominate them. This is not like last year against the Saints. We will score at will and Alex Smith isnt fit to be a starter in the NFL.

That's a little harsh, but we know for a fact if it becomes a shootout, who will win.

Packers4Glory
09-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Alex Smith isnt fit to be a starter in the NFL.

based on what?

We'd probably say the same thing about Rodgers had he been drafted in SF. Smith has had to learn a new system every yr. I think this will be the first time he's ran the same system as the yr prior. You can't draft and start a rookie QB right away and change offenses like you change underwear and expect him to grow and progress worth a shit as a QB. It also would help to have protection and some guys who can actually make a play....something he's never had much of since being drafted.

I'm amazed at how some teams will draft a QB, make him a starter in yr 1 behind an O-line that has more holes than a cheesehead, and no playmakers...oh and fire his offensive cord and or head coach every yr.

BobDobbs
09-07-2012, 05:58 PM
based on what?

We'd probably say the same thing about Rodgers had he been drafted in SF. Smith has had to learn a new system every yr. I think this will be the first time he's ran the same system as the yr prior. You can't draft and start a rookie QB right away and change offenses like you change underwear and expect him to grow and progress worth a shit as a QB. It also would help to have protection and some guys who can actually make a play....something he's never had much of since being drafted.

I'm amazed at how some teams will draft a QB, make him a starter in yr 1 behind an O-line that has more holes than a cheesehead, and no playmakers...oh and fire his offensive cord and or head coach every yr.

I'll have you know sir that I change my underwear TWICE a year. Once on Christmas and once on my birthday when dear Old mum gives fresh new britches.

BobDobbs
09-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Out here people are licking their chops over Marshall Newhouse. They even ran a blog post with a picture of him looking like he's about to take a crap and saying he will be destroyed.http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/09/06/justin-smith-vs-marshall-newhouse-nfl-analyst-expects-destruction/

Interestingly they are also talking about the 49ers using Colin Kaepernick running the option for some of the game. He's a big, fast guy I wonder if that will put more pressure on our defense.

Freak Out
09-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Smith is a freaking savage.

denverYooper
09-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Out here people are licking their chops over Marshall Newhouse. They even ran a blog post with a picture of him looking like he's about to take a crap and saying he will be destroyed.http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/09/06/justin-smith-vs-marshall-newhouse-nfl-analyst-expects-destruction/

Interestingly they are also talking about the 49ers using Colin Kaepernick running the option for some of the game. He's a big, fast guy I wonder if that will put more pressure on our defense.

I've been thinking about this... They're going to be in for a sad surprise. Rodgers is going to have those fucks so mixed up they won't know whether they're coming or going. Part of him entering his prime is his ability to process and call the O at the line and keep the defense guessing. An ancient Peyton Manning behind a much more shoddy Broncos line made them look like a bunch of drunks a few weeks ago by mixing up a handful of different plays.

Harlan Huckleby
09-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Smith is a freaking savage.

Marshmallow with smother him with his sticky, foamy superpowers.

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y317/BruceVII/Ghostbusters/ghostbusters-stay-puft-marshmallow-man.png

MJZiggy
09-07-2012, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=Harlan Huckleby;681927]Marshmallow with smother him with his sticky, foamy superpowers.

I don't even know how, but that just sounds all wrong....

Willard
09-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Out here people are licking their chops over Marshall Newhouse. They even ran a blog post with a picture of him looking like he's about to take a crap and saying he will be destroyed.[URL="http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/09/06/justin-smith-vs-marshall-newhouse-nfl-analyst-expects-destruction/"]http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/09/06/justin-smith-vs-marshall-newhouse-nfl-analyst-expects.
the Pack has no chance to win, and Rodgers may not even survive the 1st half. Just ask any Niner fan in the Bay Area. Seriously, there is a KoolAid party in these parts and all these fans are drinking up like the lights just turned on. That being said, the Smiths on defense ARE scary good and must be accounted for. As temporary OC I would do quick slant, quick slant, quick slant, then send Finley down the middle of the field once SF's safeties and LBs start inching up to LOS. Hopefully Willis doesn't decapitate anybody in the process. Also mix in a lot of planned rollouts to the right to tire-out the Smiths (if that is even possible), throw in some screens and draws to keep SF off balance. Maybe even a 1st quarter reverse to get in their heads a bit. I look for a surprisingly meaningful contribution from Randall Cobb ( AKA: Mr. Week1). GB prevails 27-20 and Coach McCarthy gives Harbough a wedgie at midfield instead of the requisite handshake.

rbaloha1
09-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Justin Smith is a beast. Its interesting Lang thinks JS lines up more on him instead of Newhouse.

Should JS line-up over Newhouse, a back or te shall be required for a double team.

RashanGary
09-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I wonder if we'll see Dez Moses a little in passing situations. If we go nickle, it would be nice to have an inside backer who could beat a block.

RashanGary
09-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Another thing, with Matthews on the left side, I have a feeling Lang and Newhouse have seen a couple lighting quick stunts. The problem is going to be Newhouse, who's going to be charged with the task of holding Justin Smith off. Lang might be able to get one arm out there before breaking off and blocking Aldon Smith, but mostly, Newhouse is going to be taking a hard rush from Justin Smith.

If that's the case, whoever the running back is, will have to be ready to help out. Problem is, if the 49ers show blitz, then drop into coverage, a guy like Benson or Green could get confused, then miss their assignment helping out on the left side. In that case, AR could get a pretty serious injury. I guess they injured 3 QB's last season. That's a little scary.

I'm probably most worried about the 2 Smiths, but a part of that worry comes from our RB's inexperience in the offense, and their possibility of really fucking up on some big pass blocking assignments.

pittstang5
09-08-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm expecting a very tough game here and I see the Packers playing from behind the entire game. 49ers have multiple items that the Packers have trouble with = a solid running game, an elite TE and a very good defense. I see Gore having 125 or more yards and V. Davis having at least 150 yards and 2 TDs. I just don't have faith in this defense. Packers lose this one - write it down.

Joemailman
09-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Justin Smith is a beast. Its interesting Lang thinks JS lines up more on him instead of Newhouse.

Should JS line-up over Newhouse, a back or te shall be required for a double team.

I assume Lang is right. If Aldon Smith is rushing, I would think Newhouse will have him with Lang talking Justin Smith. If Aldon Smith drops into coverage, they may be able to double-team Justin, although they have to look for Willis coming up the middle.

pbmax
09-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Another thing, with Matthews on the left side, I have a feeling Lang and Newhouse have seen a couple lighting quick stunts. The problem is going to be Newhouse, who's going to be charged with the task of holding Justin Smith off. Lang might be able to get one arm out there before breaking off and blocking Aldon Smith, but mostly, Newhouse is going to be taking a hard rush from Justin Smith.

If that's the case, whoever the running back is, will have to be ready to help out. Problem is, if the 49ers show blitz, then drop into coverage, a guy like Benson or Green could get confused, then miss their assignment helping out on the left side. In that case, AR could get a pretty serious injury. I guess they injured 3 QB's last season. That's a little scary.

I'm probably most worried about the 2 Smiths, but a part of that worry comes from our RB's inexperience in the offense, and their possibility of really fucking up on some big pass blocking assignments.

My concern is DE-DT twists. Lang had problems with these last year and always got caught up and late to the DE coming back inside. Newhouse made things worse. I guarantee they see this in the first half, even if its an OLB coming inside.

RashanGary
09-08-2012, 09:11 PM
My concern is DE-DT twists. Lang had problems with these last year and always got caught up and late to the DE coming back inside. Newhouse made things worse. I guarantee they see this in the first half, even if its an OLB coming inside.

From what I read, they like to do a 2-smith stunt quite a bit. Smith charging the T/G gap, with Adlon Smith wrapping around.

That's the type of stunt the Packers like to run with Mathews, so I think our guys will be ready for it. Problem is, Smith is just better than Newhouse, and whether he's ready or not, that's a matchup he loses often enough to get AR killed if he doesn't have help. The 49ers can really test the preparation of our backs with that. Show blitz on our offenses right side, get the RB a little confused when they drop into coverage, then have the Smith duo get one on ones on the blindside. Scary. Ready or not, it's scary. Not ready is even more scary, and the guys I see as most unlikely to be ready are our two backs.

RashanGary
09-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Draws, screens, quick passes, hard counts, moving pockets, help from the backs. . . . . All of those things will keep SF off balance and the Smiths in check. Problem is, it only takes one missed assignment to make AR the 4th QB in 17 games to be injured.

Willard
09-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Draws, screens, quick passes, hard counts, moving pockets, help from the backs. . . . . All of those things will keep SF off balance and the Smiths in check. Problem is, it only takes one missed assignment to make AR the 4th QB in 17 games to be injured.
I forgot to mention Rodger's masterful hard Count. Could be effective early if SF is too amped up.

Tony Oday
09-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Their offense still has Alex Smith...he sucks

RashanGary
09-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Gonna be a beautiful day tomorrow here in GB. 70 degrees, wind on the low side (10MPH.) That plays to our strength. Brand spankin new field (I'm sure they'll have the grass cut nice and short for speed.) There are just little advantages to being at home. The crowd, making it harder on their O, and easier on our O to do the hard counts. Both of our practice fields have the same dd-grassmaster hybrid surface as Lambeau. It's minor, but the surface has a little effect on timing, and just a feel for what a guy can and can't do. . . . . SF has to take long flight out here, sleep in different beds. . . . Again, minor, but it plays in.

RashanGary
09-08-2012, 09:58 PM
This is a total guess here, but I would think as long as the game is close or they are up, they're going to want to go with 2WR's, 1 RB, Vernon Davis and either another FB or TE.

Davis, a FB and TE gives them a lot of size to run the ball with. At the same time, with Davis in there, we're almost forced into nickle so Woodson can come down.

It's going to be tough if we don't have two big guys in the middle. Raji and a rookie would get bitch slapped. Pickett wouldn't get bitch slapped, but pair him with a rookie, and that rookie is going to get bitch slapped. They'll shove it down our throats, then it will open up everything else for them.

Not a lot of talk about Raji and Pickett, but those are two big players in this game and that's not just in belly size. Without Pickett or Raji, we're going to have a very hard time stopping them. Without both, they could light us up.

mission
09-09-2012, 10:05 AM
No gameday thread today? We're screwed.

ThunderDan
09-09-2012, 10:10 AM
No gameday thread today? We're screwed.

Any one can start it except the loser that cost us the playoff game, Mission!

pbmax
09-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Who is doing the Game Day thread. Packers won both the last preseason games, right?

Does the preseason streak count in this case? :)

pbmax
09-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Joemailman had the Game Thread for the Chiefs preseason and it was a winner. I say we stick with the official party line, NFL version, and say the preseason counts.

Joe should get the GameDay thread launched.

denverYooper
09-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Joemailman had the Game Thread for the Chiefs preseason and it was a winner. I say we stick with the official party line, NFL version, and say the preseason counts.

Joe should get the GameDay thread launched.

Seconded.

CaptainKickass
09-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Seconded.

Well fucking hurry it the hell up up there Joe would ya? A Kickass ain't got all day to wait around for the official post!

:)