PDA

View Full Version : Jennings - Last Season with the Pack

mission
09-03-2012, 10:41 PM
"Unless we come to those numbers, then I don't want to hear anything about it."

"Whether the contract comes with Green Bay in the near future or (with) one of the other 31 teams, that's the reality of it," Jennings said. "That's the way I have to approach it. My mind-set is 20 weeks of football with the Packers and then this is it.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/jennings-says-this-could-be-his-last-season-with-packers-jl6nplu-168417706.html

Sure reads like a diva. Sure what he's saying is factual but the guy we thought Greg to be is maybe a bit different than reality. I'd like to see a "I'd love to play with this team, the best QB in the game my entire career" ... nope.

King Friday
09-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Football is a business, and it is Jennings' career we are talking about. The guy HAS to get paid, because it has to last him the rest of his life. I'm sure Jennings is willing to take some kind of hometown discount, but he's not going to publically announce that. His best interest is to have all other 31 teams try to bid on him this offseason to maximize his deal.

It is easy as a fan to sit there and whine about being a "team guy"...but those same fans will pack a gas station with a line a mile long when the prices haven't been bumped up 30 cents like they have been at all the other places around town...to save less than $4. So if the fans are that anal about THEIR money, why do they hold the players to a different standard?

HarveyWallbangers
09-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Jennings has always said the right thing. Many times. I'm sure he's a bit frustrated to think that he may not be a high priority. We'll see.

packers11
09-03-2012, 10:57 PM
There is a thing called the Franchise Tag. He won't be going anywhere... Atleast for another 2 years...

Lurker64
09-03-2012, 11:38 PM
There is a thing called the Franchise Tag. He won't be going anywhere... Atleast for another 2 years...

Yup, this is his second-to-last season with the Packers, potentially.

MadtownPacker
09-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Mission, stop hating on another man for wanting to come up. You know better than that. He isnt even acting like a diva. Sounds like business to me.

I don't have any issue with what he is saying. He has done everything asked of him and more. We just gotta hope TT can find a way or if not someone else will.

gbgary
09-04-2012, 12:11 AM
just playing hardball. it's cold but i think i'd string it out a bit and see how the concussion thing goes.

RashanGary
09-04-2012, 05:28 AM
I think there is a lot to this, and in just about every way, it's nobody's FAULT.

You don't think the Packers want to keep Greg Jennings? Wrong. He's a hell of a player, could be the Packers all time leader in every receiving category there is if he stays around.

You don't think Jennings wants to stay with the Packers? Watch the SB DVD where Jennings and MM hug. Watch him with his teammates once. He loves it here. He loves the people he works with. They are a team.

And then come the harsh realities of real life. People don't realize this, but Mark Murphy has talked about it. The salary cap is staying flat for the next couple years. We're getting closer to it, and we have at least 5 monster contracts coming up in the next couple years (Matthews, Raji, Rodgers, Bulaga, Jennings.) Murphy said there are going to have to be some tough choices, that we can't keep them all. The Packers did this after they won the SB in 96. We had to let some get away. The Patriots have done it several times over the last couple years, the most notable being Richard Seymore.

After Ron Wolfe retired, he said himself, the game has passed him by, he wishes it were like baseball, where you could get with a team like the Yankees and waive his magic fairy wand around to get anyone he wanted. Unfortunately for guys like him, guys like Greg Jennings, and fans who want it all, that's not how it works.

The person who's going to be hurt most by this is Greg Jennings, so of course he's going to be the one reacting. TT and the Packers all stay together. They'll miss him, but they're still all a big happy group. Meanwhile, Jennings gets cast out of his second family, not having any clue where he might land or what the future holds while everyone else stays together laughing and hugging. Yeah, he could stay, at the expense of the future of his family. Sure, he could do that, but he won't and shouldn't. From his perspective, as good of a player as he is, as good of a teammate as he's been, he probably can't imagine why the Packers would offer him so much less than other players of his caliber get. He probably can't understand why they're willing to just cast him aside. So whatever he does in this whole thing, all is forgiven by me. And whatever the Packers do, they just have to do it. They don't have the money not to. The last time Ted let an irreplaceable player (as Brandon would call Jennings) go, it turned out alright. Let's please not get into a discussion of how great and irreplaceable Greg Jennings is. Like Favre before him, he might not even be the best player at his position on his own team. This is the NFL. TT puts it this way. Put your hand in a bucket of water. That hand is you. Pull it out and watch how quickly the hole fills with water. That's how quickly you are replaced. Welcome to the NFL. Favre was replaceable and so is Jennings. Those are just the facts.

wootah
09-04-2012, 06:36 AM
Yeah, he could stay, at the expense of the future of his family. Sure, he could do that, but he won't and shouldn't.

Nice post, JH, although I don't agree with the quote above. Life can be more than just maximizing the amount of money you gain at all cost. It's all about priorities. Maybe he won't earn as much in GB as he'd get elsewhere, but here he gets to perform the job he likes with the people he likes in the setting he likes. That and the chance to be part of a contender for a longer time. Maybe those things are important to him as well, but either way, I'm fine with it.

mission
09-04-2012, 06:56 AM
I really just have two problems here. The first is that he doesn't want to hear any offers unless the number is hit. That tells me really no negotiation, no recognition that he's a part product of #12 and this ridiculous offense. The other issue is even if you don't want to negotiate, you don't come out and say it, especially before the season even starts. It's not like we're leaving him hanging or doing him wrong.

RashanGary
09-04-2012, 07:08 AM
I really just have two problems here. The first is that he doesn't want to hear any offers unless the number is hit. That tells me really no negotiation, no recognition that he's a part product of #12 and this ridiculous offense. The other issue is even if you don't want to negotiate, you don't come out and say it, especially before the season even starts. It's not like we're leaving him hanging or doing him wrong.

What's Nelson making? 3 or 4 per year. I do think the Packers are low-balling Jennings pretty badly, but I'm fine with it. Thompson knows how to build a team, and if he thinks losing Jennings over a pay dispute is the way to go, then it's the way to go. If this goes down, I'll bet Thompson feels he can better spend that money elsewhere. Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews maybe. . . I'm sure he has some plan. He might even like Randall Cobb a lot and wants to get him on the field. Who knows what the Packers are thinking, but I'm sure it has something to do with trying to win football games.

hoosier
09-04-2012, 07:25 AM

He wasn't saying he won't negotiate, he's saying he doesn't want to hear from his agent until they have such-and-such an offer. In other words, he doesn't want to be distracted by the negotiating process during the season. I think that speaks to his wisdom, not that he is drawing a hard line.

Joemailman
09-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Jennings is saying two things. He's saying he doesn't want to negotiate during the season because he doesn't want a distraction to negatively affect his play which could then affect his market value. He's also saying he won't accept a home team discount just to stay in Green Bay. This I suspect is mostly, but not entirely true. He's not going to accept 30 million from the Packers if he can get 50 million somewhere else. However, would he turn down 45 million from the Packers because he can get 50 million from Jacksonville? I don't think so.

Joemailman
09-04-2012, 10:13 AM
If Jennings can't be signed to an extension this year, the Packers will likely franchise him for 2013 and then decide whether they want to keep Jennings or Finley. They'll likely keep one, but not both of them.

Patler
09-04-2012, 10:43 AM
... He's saying he doesn't want to negotiate during the season because he doesn't want a distraction to negatively affect his play which could then affect his market value.

He didn't really say that. What he said was:

Jennings said he told his agent not to contact him about the contract during the season unless he was close to a deal. He would prefer to focus on football. He said he's not ruling out a future agreement, he just prefers to take the emotion out of it and assume his contract will expire after this season.

"My agent knows, we know our march to what we're trying to reach," Jennings said of the price range. "That's it. Unless we come to those numbers, then I don't want to hear anything about it."

His agent will negotiate, but Jennings doesn't want the distraction of regular updates or involvement unless they get close to a number he and his agent have set. That number might be more or less than he will take elsewhere, he doesn't really say.

For the Packers, it is better if Jennings just stays out of it. Same for other players too. This way, it can be a straight forward, unemotional business negotiation. If they get close, Parker can go to Jennings and explain why it is a deal he should consider.

rbaloha1
09-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Standard Negotiating 101 stuff.

GJ wants the Packers to know he wants fair market value for an elite receiver.

In a way, Nelson who was not considered an elite receiver when signing the contract somewhat "undermined" GJ. According to previous articles, teammates ridicule Nelson for accepting a perceived low offer.

Kiwon
09-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Anything can happen (the Packers lose Cobb or Nelson to serious injury), but all things being equal, Jennings will be elsewhere next season. Successful players expect to get paid top dollar and there'll be a good team who's an experienced, quality receiver short of being a serious Super Bowl contender who'll gamble on him.

Jennings will get paid.

Packers4Glory
09-04-2012, 11:35 AM
w/ the depth this team has at WR, it wouldn't shock me if they let him walk and used that money to shore up some other key guys. A lot will depend on how Nelson, Cobb, and Jones look this yr. I still like Jones a lot and think he could be a helluva a starter. Cobb is exciting and sorta reminds me of a young driver/jennings hybrid of a player.

Hard choices have to be made and successful teams have a lot of guys who outperform their deals and it becomes impossible to keep them all together. I don't know that w/ the depth we have, that the reward on a soon to be 30yr WR is worth the financial gamble. I hate to say it. I hate myself for thinking it. But that's sort of the facts they have to look at next yr.

smuggler
09-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Vincent Jackson really fucked our chances of getting Jennings to sign long-term (and, to some extent Garcon as well). Like others have said, we can franchise him two years in a row and then let him walk when he's 32.

mission
09-04-2012, 04:38 PM
How does a phone call from his agent prevent the dude from running a crisp route or plucking a ball out of the air? Really don't understand this 'distraction' thing. Sure if he's taking calls around the clock with every minute detail then it can be a distraction, but I think you guys are really playing a professional athlete to be pretty soft. Prevent him from having his best season? I don't know, go out and catch the damn ball. How are they mutually exclusive?

Call me a conspiracy-nerd, but I don't expect Jennings to get the same amount of targets per game that he's received in the past. Rodgers knows the score, he did it with Finley last year early on.

Little Whiskey
09-04-2012, 04:42 PM
its tough to give a hometown discount in the NFL. the contract is not guaranteed. the minute he has a career ending injury he is out of a contract. depending on how the contract is laid out, an extra 5mil could be a big deal.

MadScientist
09-04-2012, 04:55 PM
The problem with the tag is that all that money is tied to the current year's cap, they can't do any bonus / averaging games. It may prevent an AR or CM deal being struck. It is the price of being good at accumulating talent in the NFL. Maybe Boykin will be GJ II.

Packers4Glory
09-04-2012, 05:02 PM
as the article mentions, there are guys like Rodgers, Mathews, and Raji who are higher up on the extension list. Admittedly I'm not very up to date on guys and their contract situations, but I don't think either of them are FA next yr aside from Jennings. So in theory they could wait on those guys until next yr and put the franchise tag on Jennings, but I just don't see it happening. They have to lock up those other 3 guys who are the core of the franchise's future success. Your offensive and defensive star players and your D-line anchor.

But like I said lets see how Cobb does this yr in year 2. Pray he doesn't get killed during a return.

Don't see anything wrong w/ anything Jennings is saying. Nor do I see any reason he won't be as involved in the game plan or targeted by Rodgers. Rodgers is going to hit whoever is open.

Patler
09-04-2012, 05:33 PM
How does a phone call from his agent prevent the dude from running a crisp route or plucking a ball out of the air? Really don't understand this 'distraction' thing. Sure if he's taking calls around the clock with every minute detail then it can be a distraction, but I think you guys are really playing a professional athlete to be pretty soft. Prevent him from having his best season? I don't know, go out and catch the damn ball. How are they mutually exclusive?

It was Jennings himself who said he didn't want the distraction. He told his agent to not even contact him unless they were close to a deal, so he could focus on the games.

Personally, I think it is bull, too. But it is what almost all of them say, because it sounds good, and MIGHT put a little pressure on the team to get something done early.

pbmax
09-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Mish, it also serves as a notice to the media, "C'mon, now, no more contract questions. I won't even know the status of the talks until something breaks through, and then we will all know."

He's setting a marker that the only possible people who could give you an update are his agent and the team. It helps to deflect attention while allowing him to have one more day in the media stating that he is looking for a new deal. After this blitz, he just refers back to the no update status.

mission
09-04-2012, 05:56 PM
It was Jennings himself who said he didn't want the distraction. He told his agent to not even contact him unless they were close to a deal, so he could focus on the games.

Personally, I think it is bull, too. But it is what almost all of them say, because it sounds good, and MIGHT put a little pressure on the team to get something done early.

That's really the key there. I hope that's it. I got worked up over this, but if it's just because he doesn't want to play too much of the season without something long term in fear of injury then I really can't blame him. Really comes down to what that number is before judging him. If he wants 6 years for 70+ million then we know what's going to happen. I'd like 4 yrs/44 mil or something but he's going to want some length on this contract.

A lot of unknown at this point. Hopefully, like you say, it's just posturing.

mission
09-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Mish, it also serves as a notice to the media, "C'mon, now, no more contract questions. I won't even know the status of the talks until something breaks through, and then we will all know."

He's setting a marker that the only possible people who could give you an update are his agent and the team. It helps to deflect attention while allowing him to have one more day in the media stating that he is looking for a new deal. After this blitz, he just refers back to the no update status.

Good point. I'm seeing some light here. Hate to think of Jennings as a villain.

Patler
09-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Good point. I'm seeing some light here. Hate to think of Jennings as a villain.

PB had a good point, I agree, too.

Most of them are not villains, they're business men trying to make they best deal they can for themselves, which does not always mean the most money, but often does. Only a small handful act like prima donnas.

As a side note, many, many criticized Ryan Grant for "holding out" 5 years ago. I said at the time that he had an opportunity to leverage it into a solid long-term contract, and he should because it might be the only one he would ever get, especially at the position he played. Well, it is looking like that might be his only meaningful NFL contract. He played the situation about like a 1st or 2nd round draft pick could at that time, and that really was close to his situation.

Only a few things bother me about players and their contract dealings:
- ignoring all aspects of their compensation, and claiming to be grossly underpaid based on salary when they had received very significant bonus money
- having a bunch of mediocre to poor seasons in which they were overpaid, followed by one very good year, then wanting to tear up a couple years of an existing contract.
- acting as if there is something morally unjust in the way they are being treated, and/or referring to being slaves, destitute, etc.

Smeefers
09-04-2012, 09:26 PM
I think a lot of rats here are upset that they're not going to get GJ for a deal. If you substitute his name with Mathews or Rodgers, nobody would even dream of getting on them. What's the difference? If Rodgers said anthing close to that, people would be screaming for Ted to get the deal done.

The only time people want to get someone cheap is when they know they can afford to loose them, but they just don't want to. If our only real option at WR was Greg Jennings, the only guys behind him being a handfull of Shakey Smithson's, then people would be loosing their shit to get him signed.

Get used to the idea, the dude is gone unless GB ponies up with some serious garunteed cash.

Smidgeon
09-04-2012, 10:59 PM
I think a lot of rats here are upset that they're not going to get GJ for a deal. If you substitute his name with Mathews or Rodgers, nobody would even dream of getting on them. What's the difference? If Rodgers said anthing close to that, people would be screaming for Ted to get the deal done.

The only time people want to get someone cheap is when they know they can afford to loose them, but they just don't want to. If our only real option at WR was Greg Jennings, the only guys behind him being a handfull of Shakey Smithson's, then people would be loosing their shit to get him signed.

Get used to the idea, the dude is gone unless GB ponies up with some serious garunteed cash.

I for one would prefer a hometown discount for all the stars. Thus, able to afford more stars and dominate year after year. Let's get all the hometown discounts done!

Upnorth
09-05-2012, 10:47 AM

If Cobb is who we think he is and Boykin shows potential then GJ's loss wont hurt so much, even if DD is gone due to inevitable age issues. I would love to keep him, but we can't break the bank at a position of depth to sacrifice a position where all we have is a star and then some guys. If we can get him for 2 -3 mil more a year then maybe, but I think his market will be higher than that.

mraynrand
09-05-2012, 11:12 AM
I think a lot of rats here are upset that they're not going to get GJ for a deal. If you substitute his name with Mathews or Rodgers, nobody would even dream of getting on them. What's the difference?

I think the difference is that people think Rodgers and Matthews are elite at their positions - top 10 in the league, and Jennings is in the next tier - highly valuable but more easily replaceable. We'll know what Ted thinks going forward. I think it's a tough call - you don't want to break up that chemistry until and unless Jennings loses his edge, but maybe you just can't afford the guy...

rbaloha1
09-05-2012, 11:48 AM
I think the difference is that people think Rodgers and Matthews are elite at their positions - top 10 in the league, and Jennings is in the next tier - highly valuable but more easily replaceable. We'll know what Ted thinks going forward. I think it's a tough call - you don't want to break up that chemistry until and unless Jennings loses his edge, but maybe you just can't afford the guy...

GJ is not easily replaceable -- imo a top 5 receiver. Allows Nelson and others to have success.

As much as Cobb and Boykins show promise they have not proven anything consistently over multiple seasons.

Expect GJ signed.

Tony Oday
09-05-2012, 11:49 AM
If GJ leaves he will be in purple. Write that down.

rbaloha1
09-05-2012, 11:59 AM
If GJ leaves he will be in purple. Write that down.

If the contract stuff gets bitter you may be right.

Bush vs. Jennings -- its like seeing a 300lb wahine in a 2 piece bikini.

gbgary
09-05-2012, 03:46 PM
bf proved it's not about the wrs...it's about the qb (yes i just made a positive reference to bf...fuck him anyway). rodgers will do the same.

ThunderDan
09-05-2012, 04:19 PM
bf proved it's not about the wrs...it's about the qb (yes i just made a positive reference to bf...fuck him anyway). rodgers will do the same.

Personally, I think it's about the system that is run.

RashanGary
09-05-2012, 05:00 PM
JS says Rodgers tweeted or talked about knowing Jennings could be gone.

You hate to see it, but the Packers aren't the first SB winning team who had to lose some of their great players to the Cap. We might see other great players leave too. If we lose a great WR, maybe TT hits gold and drafts a great RB. If we lose a guy like Tramon Williams, maybe Ted drafts another Nick Collins to offset it. . . . . "We just can't keep them all." i wish those were my words, but they were Mark Murphy's when asked how they were going to afford all the great players who were coming up for contracts. We're going to lose players, great ones. Jennings is great, so he fits that profile of losing a great player (a reality none of us want to embrace.) Some years we might offset it, other years, maybe not, but there will never be a day we can afford them all. No team, anywhere in the NFL can. We're just going to have to keep drafting other great players or we'll slowly crumble.

We couldn't make up for the Jenkins/Collins loss last year. Maybe we won't make up for the Jennings loss the next year. You never know. Winning the SB is hard. But thems the laws of money, TT isn't above them. He's still going to have to perform at an elite level or the Packers won't be elite. TT is no hero yet. If he finds a way to keep replenishing the roster for another 5 or 6 years (to the point where we win a SB somewhere in there), he might be the best GM in football for that decade or however many years he's in that spot.

pbmax
09-05-2012, 05:30 PM
JS says Rodgers tweeted or talked about knowing Jennings could be gone.

http://espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=10951

Brandon494
09-05-2012, 05:57 PM
I still think he stays, how can you let a guy like this walk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNhHuW0cmBc&feature=player_embedded#!

George Cumby
09-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Remember the Nick Collins negotiations? Remember all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth? Remember how we,the fans, didn't know shit until the deal was imminent? Remember how we kvetched, belly-ached and criticized management for not getting it done?

Remember how Collins signed a nice fat contract which was good for him and the team and ultimately should allow him to take care of his family even with a shortened career?

My point is this: we don't know what is going on behind closed doors. We do know that TT has a good record of taking care of his players and extending them when they produce. We do know that the players know that, too; they've said as much in interviews.

My preference is that we keep GJ. I don't think I am going out on a limb by speculating that TT thinks similarly.

You cap gurus have a better feel for what the team has to spend, but I don't think TT lets him go without making a righteous offer of some kind..........

RashanGary
09-05-2012, 07:00 PM
AR isn't as sure as this site.

RashanGary
09-05-2012, 07:01 PM
I was guaranteeing Collins got signed, for the record.

Brandon494
09-05-2012, 07:06 PM
I guess I'll go on the record and guarantee Greg Jennings will get signed. :smk:

mission
09-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Makes too much sense really. What good is draft and develop if you don't secure?

Joemailman
09-05-2012, 08:24 PM
I was guaranteeing Collins got signed, for the record.

I guess I'll go on the record and guarantee Greg Jennings will get signed. :smk:

So if you are as prescient as Justin, Jennings is about to get a contract extension, the Packers will win the Super Bowl, and next year Jennings will suffer a career-ending injury.

MJZiggy
09-05-2012, 08:34 PM
I follow Jennings on FB and he seems a lot more interested in asking the fans who he should start for fantasy football than what's going on with his agent. No bluster at all. No talk about it.

pbmax
09-05-2012, 08:48 PM
So if you are as prescient as Justin, Jennings is about to get a contract extension, the Packers will win the Super Bowl, and next year Jennings will suffer a career-ending injury.

Tempting ....

RashanGary
09-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Just listened to Jennings. He sounds so different in person than the writing. He's the same, happy, cool guy. Zero. . . ZERO animosity in his voice. Said he loves it here, wants to be at that locker until the day he retires. Completely happy, completely genuine. . . . .

That said, it's just a tough situation. We could lose anyone coming up. We really could. You look at it, how the fuck are we keeping AJ Hawk around?

I hope he stays. He's a cool guy, a great player, and better than people around the league realize.

esoxx
09-06-2012, 12:58 PM
What's with Greg talking in the 3rd person? esoxx doesn't care for that.

King Friday
09-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Makes too much sense really. What good is draft and develop if you don't secure?

Because you've drafted and developed other players at positions of greater importance (and harder to draft future talent) that you'd rather keep over a WR. Rodgers alone will make most decent WRs look good (see Nelson) so why pay top money for a receiver?

That said, I think Green Bay will try to make a fair offer to keep Jennings...but I'm sure other teams will offer him more. It will come down to Jennings as to whether or not he stays.

George Cumby
09-06-2012, 08:13 PM
What's with Greg talking in the 3rd person? esoxx doesn't care for that.

the george cumby agrees

VegasPackFan
09-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Typically a deal given to a 29-30 yr old receiver or running back is really the team back-compensating for the performance they already received from the player. The economics of the game would dictate that you let someone else pay for that performance while you retain players still in their prime. That's the business end of this thing.

rbaloha1
09-06-2012, 09:31 PM

Ditto

Fritz
09-07-2012, 06:16 AM
Fritz thinks that at the end of the day, the Packers will not keep Jennings. He wants to make his money when he can - which I think is fitting, but with Rodgers, Matthews, and Raji coming due, there's no way to fit that all in plus Jennings. The numbers just aren't there. And the cap's not going up from what I've read - it's going to be fairly stagnant over the next few years.

And Ted reads Cold, Hard, Football Facts, and he knows that wide receivers are the "hood ornaments" of the offense. It just doesn't make sense to spend top, top dollar on that position. That, however, is mitigated to some degree when you've got a top-flight QB like Green Bay does.

Having said all that, I think Greg Jennings is a superb receiver, and I would be happy if he's re-signed and somehow it doesn't cost the team Rodgers or Raji or Matthews.

Brandon494
09-07-2012, 08:11 AM
You guys keep saying we don't have the cap like Jennings is still on his rookie contract and we don't have aging players who have high cap numbers. They need to be let go before we let Jennings walk in his prime. The new rookie salary scale should also help with cap relief. If TT can resign Hawk to a big deal he damn better be ready to do the same for Greg Jennings or my head my freaking explode. :bang:

Fritz
09-07-2012, 08:15 AM
You guys keep acting like Greg Jennings is a Packer fan and not a player, and like he doesn't face a short career compared to other working people, and like there is no salary cap. In your world, how do you keep Greg Jennings AND Aaron Rodgers AND Clay Matthews AND BJ Raji when the salary cap is going to remain stagnant, and as you point out you don't have any aging and overpaid players to cut (well, maybe AJ Hawk)?

Brandon494
09-07-2012, 08:24 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/138820739.html

Link to Packers salary, look at guys like Woodson, Hawk, Pickett, Saturday, and Driver. Those guys will not be on this roster within the two years IMO and that makes up for 30M in cap right there. You also see that guys like Rodgers, Jennings, and Raji are already making good money, Clay is the only one making dog shit. Its not going to be as hard to resign those guys as some of you think.

Fritz
09-07-2012, 08:35 AM
I do like it when someone comes back with some numbers and an idea that is supported. I might not agree, but I respect the debate.

And besides, I want you to be right!

LegandofthePack15
09-07-2012, 08:54 AM
In your world, how do you keep Greg Jennings AND Aaron Rodgers AND Clay Matthews AND BJ Raji?

Easy. Force the Networks to pay up, which they will in 2014.

The last time the Networks paid up, the Packers went from something like 5 million dough under the moon to something like 30 million.

The cap is not going to be a constraint. It will come down to how much the players are asking and how much the Packers are willing to pay.

The Packers could pay Jennings Calvin Johnson money and they would still have money leftover to sign the other guys. The question is, does Thompson think Jennings is worth Calvin Johnson money?

Players like Wahle, Rivera, Colledge and Wells were not resigned NOT b/c the Packers couldn't fit them under the cap. They're no longer Packers b/c Thompson didn't think they're worth what they were getting from other teams.

Pugger
09-07-2012, 09:09 AM
I'll be VERY surprised if Jennings is not resigned.

MJZiggy
09-07-2012, 07:30 PM
You guys seem to forget the amount of creative contracting that can sometimes make the impossible happen...front loading, backloading, sidearming, strongarming, streamlining...wait. where was I again. Anyway, you get the point. You're trying to make the math work with straight numbers, but contracts sometimes contain a little fuzzy math.

RashanGary
09-08-2012, 07:45 PM
HEy, they're 6M under the cap. If they keep Jennings and let AR, Matthews and Raji go, they'll be in good shape. And cutting Hawk would be retarded. That's the best 6M/year we could spend.

channtheman
09-08-2012, 09:16 PM
And then sign Kevin Kolb to a multi year mega contract. Super Bowl bound for sure!

RashanGary
09-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Bob McGinn just wrote a column on Jennings not being resigned. He said he's nearly certain Jennings won't be a Packer next year.

He said it would be wise to trade him now. I'm not so sure. I would think tagging him and trading him for a 2nd next year would be better than trading him now. We got a 2nd for Walker leading up to the draft. I don't know why we couldn't get similar for Jennings.

It stinks, but like McGinn wrote, the Packers don't have a lot of money and they have some really big contracts coming up. We don't know all of the details of the Packers cap situation and how they foresee it playing out. However, the Packers usually lock core players up by now. Not doing it is a sign they could feel that signing Jennings would mean losing another big-time player.

As hard as it would be to let him go, it would be even harder on the team if we lost Rodgers, Matthews, Raji or even Bulaga. We have WR's. We don't have stud pass rushers or 330lb beasts inside.

I'm with McGinn. The writing is on the wall.

I fully understand when fans say, "There is no way they let Jennings go." It's about the same as saying, "There is no way I'll drink piss." Both statements just make sense. However, when you're dying of dehydration, you drink the piss. Sometimes, you have a choice, but you really don't. The Packers really don't.