PDA

View Full Version : Coughlin vs. Schottenheimer: HOF Inclusion Decided By Luck?

pbmax
09-06-2012, 09:47 PM
http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/09/06/marty-schottenheimer-will-never-be-in-the-hall-of-fame-tom-coughlin-will-because-of-fumbles-and-fate/

Basic point; missed field goals and turnover luck in playoff games might have prevented Schottenheimer from outstripping Coughlin's accomplishments.

George Cumby
09-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Good read and thought-provoking.

The universe is sometimes unfair in your favor...... and sometimes not.

Fritz
09-07-2012, 08:33 AM
I always really liked Marty Schottenheimer as a coach, especially back when he was with the Browns. Maybe it's because I like his defense-first style, and his belief in running the ball and controlling the clock. So i always thought he didn't get enough credit, and now this article supports that idea.

But in truth, the game can no longer be played the way he coached it. It's a passing league, so I'm glad we have MM with his understanding of the NFL today, even though he makes me uncomfortable when he calls for a pass on third and two.

Pugger
09-07-2012, 09:17 AM
I always really liked Marty Schottenheimer as a coach, especially back when he was with the Browns. Maybe it's because I like his defense-first style, and his belief in running the ball and controlling the clock. So i always thought he didn't get enough credit, and now this article supports that idea.

But in truth, the game can no longer be played the way he coached it. It's a passing league, so I'm glad we have MM with his understanding of the NFL today, even though he makes me uncomfortable when he calls for a pass on third and two.

But I don't blame him for giving the ball to his best player rather than the RB in those situations in the past. I hope Benson can help put an end to that trend - providing the goof can hold onto the ball. His fumblitis makes me nervous.

smuggler
09-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Wait, do people actually think Coughlin is a better coach than Schottenheimer?