PDA

View Full Version : Is this board dieinng, or what?????

Patler
09-11-2012, 08:48 AM
It used to be that PackerRats was the place to go for the earliest information and discussion on anything related to the Packers. Not so anymore. Why is that?

For example, all the following occured yesterday, and are being discussed elsewhere, yet no threads about them on PackerRats:

- Jennings was hurt late in the game, and may be unavailable for the Bears game.
- 2011 fan favorite, Vic So'oto has been released.
- Ross was waived to make room for Walden.
- Somewhat uncharacteristically for MM, yesterday he sort of called out a player (Benson) for the biggest responsibility in the failure of the running game.
- Why didn't Green play at all, even though active?
- Driver got all of three plays (I think), only after Jennings went out.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2012, 08:53 AM
The board died in 2010. This is just the after party.

You got 6 good threads ideas, although I think the So'oto blockbuster story has already been posted and generated a response.

denverYooper
09-11-2012, 09:02 AM
The Jennings/Driver deal has been discussed somewhere (GDT thread?) and just failed to merit a separate thread.

mraynrand
09-11-2012, 09:03 AM
M.D. Jennings got hurt and is unavailable? How is that any different than Sunday?

pbmax
09-11-2012, 09:29 AM
So make a thread!

EDIT: Sorry, did not see your So'oto thread.

Brando19
09-11-2012, 10:02 AM
What did McCarthy say about Benson?

pbmax
09-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Some of this info has hit other threads rather than new threads.

As for run game comment, here is my rush transcript:

Run Game Question:
Mike, when you get a team that is playing you for your pass game and I assume you expect that you will be able to run, when you can't run and realizing that the 49ers are a good run defense, but when you can't is it (plain/blame/play) simply getting beat at the LOS?

MM: Not that simple. Anytime you break down the run game must look at two components. One is course of runner. Discipline of that course and the decision making of that runner. Anytime you have the ball in your hands, the way we coach offense, QB, RB or WR post catch, you have a level of responsibility and decision making they are responsible for.

2nd part is run blocking unit. Every play has a design as far as what hole to attack, course concept and what we are trying to get done. I thought the 49ers did a good job with their line stunts and doing some things they haven't done in the past. Reality of first game, unscouted looks. Thought the players did a good job of communicating as we went on, and trying to make adjustments on the sideline, you are only as good as your information. We just gotta get the running part of it …, we did not do our part as good as we could. There are things we can improve upon.

SkinBasket
09-11-2012, 11:25 AM
This board died years ago. Well, "died" is a rather ambiguous term. Murdered is probably more appropriate. Now the zombie staggers through the trees on the eternal promise his murderer made to revive him... again.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100826092439/disgaea/en/images/7/73/D3_Zombie_01.gif
Grrrrrruuuuuuuuu...

sharpe1027
09-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Mmmm, brains, mmmm.

CaliforniaCheez
09-11-2012, 11:46 AM
It used to be that PackerRats was the place to go for the earliest information and discussion on anything related to the Packers. Not so anymore. Why is that?

For example, all the following occured yesterday, and are being discussed elsewhere, yet no threads about them on PackerRats:

- Jennings was hurt late in the game, and may be unavailable for the Bears game.
- 2011 fan favorite, Vic So'oto has been released.
- Ross was waived to make room for Walden.
- Somewhat uncharacteristically for MM, yesterday he sort of called out a player (Benson) for the biggest responsibility in the failure of the running game.
- Why didn't Green play at all, even though active?
- Driver got all of three plays (I think), only after Jennings went out.

1) When the Packers are beat they go into a funk. When the Packers lose people get depressed and really don't want to talk about it.

2) Jennings alleged injury does not affect the team much as he has not been a factor in the Packers offense for almost a year. Frankly, the Packers may not even pay his salary demands next year. On the flip side of that is that the Packers have had a lot of loses while Jennings hasn't been playing that much.

3) If Vic So'oto cannot get on the field after the 49'ers exposed how poor the Packers linebackers are in coverage, it is not much of a loss. The Packers have to upgrade that slow unit.

As to Green playing, Cobb out of the backfield was more effective than Green out of the backfield.

I for one would suggest that the real story was Aaron Rodgers not getting enough snaps in the preseason and was very rusty. It took him more than a half to get warmed up to his rusty level. The problem is no one wants to criticize Aaron Rodgers as he will get over the rust after he takes more snaps.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Funny that you post this on a day when there seems to be more action than I've seen in a long time. I'm used to it showing a few threads with new posts. Today, there are 16 since I came on last night.

mraynrand
09-11-2012, 12:24 PM
3) If Vic So'oto cannot get on the field after the 49'ers exposed how poor the Packers linebackers are in coverage, it is not much of a loss. The Packers have to upgrade that slow unit.

I haven't gone back and looked at the tape, but the niners really exposed the LBs with formation. How many times was a LB stuck covering a WR? That's why the confusion back there - the inexperience of several d-backs and Smith really makes that a lot worse.

mraynrand
09-11-2012, 12:27 PM
This board died years ago. Well, "died" is a rather ambiguous term. Murdered is probably more appropriate. Now the zombie staggers through the trees on the eternal promise his murderer made to revive him... again.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100826092439/disgaea/en/images/7/73/D3_Zombie_01.gif
Grrrrrruuuuuuuuu...

He's Dead Jim http://www.homepagedaily.com/uploads/20080416/77ad79b0-fc8c-431a-b67a-8b7d5ac01cd2/thumb150-hes%20dead%20jim.jpg

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2007/11/aldavisPike.bmp

sharpe1027
09-11-2012, 01:28 PM
I for one would suggest that the real story was Aaron Rodgers not getting enough snaps in the preseason and was very rusty. It took him more than a half to get warmed up to his rusty level. The problem is no one wants to criticize Aaron Rodgers as he will get over the rust after he takes more snaps.

Rodgers can and should play better. I refuse to lay the blame too much blame on him though. Many drives were killed from drops, sacks, penalties and missed penalties. He played OK overall. Running the ball 90% of the time on first down (and only on first down) for an entire half was not helpful. It seemed like we were in 2nd and long every single series.

wist43
09-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Some of this info has hit other threads rather than new threads.

As for run game comment, here is my rush transcript:

Run Game Question:
Mike, when you get a team that is playing you for your pass game and I assume you expect that you will be able to run, when you can't run and realizing that the 49ers are a good run defense, but when you can't is it (plain/blame/play) simply getting beat at the LOS?

MM: Not that simple. Anytime you break down the run game must look at two components. One is course of runner. Discipline of that course and the decision making of that runner. Anytime you have the ball in your hands, the way we coach offense, QB, RB or WR post catch, you have a level of responsibility and decision making they are responsible for.

2nd part is run blocking unit. Every play has a design as far as what hole to attack, course concept and what we are trying to get done. I thought the 49ers did a good job with their line stunts and doing some things they haven't done in the past. Reality of first game, unscouted looks. Thought the players did a good job of communicating as we went on, and trying to make adjustments on the sideline, you are only as good as your information. We just gotta get the running part of it …, we did not do our part as good as we could. There are things we can improve upon.

MM blames Benson?? Read Sun Tzu...

The Packers can't run the football - that's MM's fault.

mraynrand
09-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Rodgers can and should play better. I refuse to lay the blame too much blame on him though. Many drives were killed from drops, sacks, penalties and missed penalties. He played OK overall. Running the ball 90% of the time on first down (and only on first down) for an entire half was not helpful. It seemed like we were in 2nd and long every single series.

That was a shitty gameplan or shitty playcalling. The Cobb Strategy was better and would have worked better coupled with draws and screens and short flanker option stuff, against tendencies - But Stubby is called Stubby for a reason. By God, if he planned it out beforehand, IT IS GOING TO WORK!!! :lol:

Freak Out
09-11-2012, 01:52 PM
lol. Chris Pike = Granny.

mraynrand
09-11-2012, 01:55 PM
lol. Chris Pike = Granny.

I found that while searching for McCoy. I put that in just for you - knew you'd like it! :lol:

TravisWilliams23
09-11-2012, 04:31 PM
1)

This. I thought the 1st string offense played like crap most of the preseason and it's on MM for not keeping them out a few more series to get things to gel. I understand not wanting to injure a starter during a meaningless preseason game but that offense never really got rolling at anytime during the 4 preseason games.
Hopefully they will start to click soon. They're too good to be playing crappy football for too long.Kicking the shit out to the Bears will help!

Cheesehead Craig
09-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Is this board dieinng, or what????

We know that spelling and punctuation are going to hell apparently. :razz:

Patler
09-11-2012, 07:37 PM
...are going to hell apparently. :razz:

Yes,apparently. :no: :grin:

red
09-11-2012, 07:41 PM
who's that ross guy that was cut to make room for walden?

MadtownPacker
09-11-2012, 08:03 PM

Grrrrrruuuuuuuuu...Really? 49 posters (what a fucked up number) have read this thread that was started today. Patler is offering suggestions on making it better. Why dont you try helping out?

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Settle down, mad mex. Skin is just having a little fun. If he weren't on the forum a lot, his post might be offensive.

ND72
09-11-2012, 10:33 PM
When I first started coaching, my head coach told me he had no idea how to create a running game, but he could pass the ball around better than anyone ever......this is Mike McCarthy.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2012, 10:42 PM
I think this forum would be better if it settled on a roster size of 53, with 47 active posters for packer game days. Quality over quantity.

I know what you are thinking, "where will we find 53 posters?" but I bet there are a hundred here already.

Competition brings out the best, lets do it. First cut down day is this friday.

Patler
09-11-2012, 11:46 PM
When I first started coaching, my head coach told me he had no idea how to create a running game, but he could pass the ball around better than anyone ever......this is Mike McCarthy.

Yet, his staff is filled with former NFL linemen (Campen, Hilgenberg, Fontenot) and a decent running back (Bennett). You would think that together they could figure out something.

packrulz
09-12-2012, 05:42 AM
M3 is going to the Lindy Infante School of forget the run, pass all day! He'll put Benson in there on obvious downs (3rd & 2), then wonder why the hell he can't get it.

pbmax
09-12-2012, 08:15 AM
who's that ross guy that was cut to make room for walden?

He was the third CB to breakout in camp after House improved and Hayward looked non-rookie like. He can trail a WR like he's glued to them, seriously it looks like Pippen out there in man to man defense, but showed a underdeveloped case of ball awareness. he was most obvious in the first and second preseason game.

mmmdk
09-12-2012, 09:03 AM
I hope PR preveils yet if PR is dying, as implied in the header, then take a gander at the F.Y.I. forum at PR and you'll discover radical militia c@cksucking posters roaming with crazy talk that would drive most decent & intelligent people away.

Calamity Jane & Wild Bill Hickok approved this post...c@cksuckers! :mrgreen:

Go Packers.

Brandon494
09-12-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't see it dying and I actually like the way it is. Other forums are too crowded with fans who have no clue what they are talking about.

Smidgeon
09-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Yet, his staff is filled with former NFL linemen (Campen, Hilgenberg, Fontenot) and a decent running back (Bennett). You would think that together they could figure out something.

They'd better figure something out. ESPN's Seifert dug up something relatively alarming on the Packers pass offense. Hopefully it's an anomaly and gets back on track soon.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/46046/on-the-green-bay-packers-drop-in-explosiveness

mraynrand
09-12-2012, 11:05 AM
I don't see it dying and I actually like the way it is. Other forums are too crowded with fans who have no clue what they are talking about.

who needs fifty posters shouting "Fire McCarthy" or "Fire Capers" after every loss.

mraynrand
09-12-2012, 11:08 AM
They'd better figure something out. ESPN's Seifert dug up something relatively alarming on the Packers pass offense. Hopefully it's an anomaly and gets back on track soon.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/46046/on-the-green-bay-packers-drop-in-explosiveness

Playing with a rusty Jennings coming back from injury - twice, playing in the cold, playing after they've wrapped up the division and homefield, and playing two of the best defenses in all of football, playing after a very minimal preseason warmup period with key guys on offense out with some type of lingering injury. There is no mystery or surprise here.

pbmax
09-12-2012, 11:37 AM
However, the piece makes a good point I had not considered after the 49ers game. If two deep safeties are actually deep and everyone else is in man, then you SHOULD be able to run. That's six in the box if the Packers are running one RB.

The antidote to that, other than simply executing a run for four yards, is perhaps the 2 TE offense we saw previously.

mraynrand
09-12-2012, 11:45 AM
However, the piece makes a good point I had not considered after the 49ers game. If two deep safeties are actually deep and everyone else is in man, then you SHOULD be able to run. That's six in the box if the Packers are running one RB.

The antidote to that, other than simply executing a run for four yards, is perhaps the 2 TE offense we saw previously.

And if they really CANNOT run the ball, go to the short passing game, you know, kinda like that 'West Coast Offense' I hear about from time to time.

mmmdk
09-12-2012, 01:09 PM

I kinda agree but when good people/posters are driven off then it's a problem - and it's a damn shame that you/others do not recognize it. Less crowded is not a criteria for forum success.

Yet alas, other forums sucks lordly and is not worth spending time on! PR is worth it but don't push it.

Patler
09-12-2012, 02:11 PM

So you prefer one where hardly any topics are discussed at all, and the same tired old threads rise to the top of the first page day after day after day?

I prefer new and fresh topics.

Guiness
09-12-2012, 02:21 PM
So you prefer one were hardly any topics are discussed at all, and the same tired old threads rise to the top of the first page day after day after day?

I guess this means no chance of you reviving the Favre topic? :mrgreen:

Patler
09-12-2012, 02:24 PM
I guess this means no chance of you reviving the Favre topic? :mrgreen:

Who???

Zool
09-12-2012, 02:25 PM
So you prefer one where hardly any topics are discussed at all, and the same tired old threads rise to the top of the first page day after day after day?

The tough part is striking a balance between having a good heated debate about a topic and a turd flinging festival. Some people actually prefer the latter.

mraynrand
09-12-2012, 02:33 PM
The tough part is striking a balance between having a good heated debate about a topic and a turd flinging festival. Some people actually prefer the latter.

It depends on how solid the turd is.

Guiness
09-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Who???

Some guy I read about. Maybe you have too.

packrulz
09-12-2012, 04:03 PM

I don't think the Packers practice running the ball much, which is strange since their home field is the Tundra and they will need to run on snow days. It takes at least 8-10 running plays for the RB and the O-line to get into a rhythm, and this game they had 9 running plays total. Lang and Sitton are fine guards, and Benson and Starks are good running backs, but they need to practice running the ball just as much as passing the ball.

Smidgeon
09-12-2012, 04:25 PM
I don't think the Packers practice running the ball much, which is strange since their home field is the Tundra and they will need to run on snow days. It takes at least 8-10 running plays for the RB and the O-line to get into a rhythm, and this game they had 9 running plays total. Lang and Sitton are fine guards, and Benson and Starks are good running backs, but they need to practice running the ball just as much as passing the ball.

Just a little related: I read this week (I think either a GBPG or JSO chat) that one of the reporters noticed that Green Bay has significantly less hitting in practice than other teams. I wonder if this is affecting 1) their physicality and 2) their ability to run/stop the run.

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2012, 04:27 PM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4480/806/1024/Foster%20Brooks.jpg

Is this boyrd dining or what? Hic

Joemailman
09-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Just a little related: I read this week (I think either a GBPG or JSO chat) that one of the reporters noticed that Green Bay has significantly less hitting in practice than other teams. I wonder if this is affecting 1) their physicality and 2) their ability to run/stop the run.

If they were referring to just this year, the injury situation in training camp may have had something to do with that. MM was cutting practices short because of the lack of healthy bodies at some positions.

Freak Out
09-12-2012, 04:49 PM

Foster fucking Brooks...awesome. Look at that haircut. :)

mmmdk
09-12-2012, 07:35 PM
:lol: Brooks !

MJZiggy
09-12-2012, 09:34 PM

I actually know how he feels at the moment. Damn I need to go to bed...

Smidgeon
09-12-2012, 09:53 PM
If they were referring to just this year, the injury situation in training camp may have had something to do with that. MM was cutting practices short because of the lack of healthy bodies at some positions.

Good point. That very well could have been the case. I had interpreted it as "in prior years as well" but with no context given to the comment, you're probably correct.

ND72
09-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Anyone wonder how our play action, 60 yard bombs on 3rd and 1 (sarcasm), are somehow open?

Fritz
09-13-2012, 06:25 AM
If I coached defense against the Packers, I'd tell my players to ignore the fake handoff, and if it's a real handoff, well, maybe the Packers will get three yards. Maybe.

mraynrand
09-13-2012, 08:24 AM
If I coached defense against the Packers, I'd tell my players to ignore the fake handoff, and if it's a real handoff, well, maybe the Packers will get three yards. Maybe.

:lol:

mraynrand
09-13-2012, 08:30 AM
I actually know how he feels at the moment. Damn I need to go to bed...

I'll be right there. I just need to freshen up.