PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy fires offensive line coach

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Patler suggests the forum needs some juice, so I did my part. I have Badgers on brain this week, since that situation is so very tragic.

Here is McGinn's take on the offensive line. I've decided to pick-on Jeff Saturday this season because he's old and in the way, and I'm tired of picking on Driver.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-not-positioned-properly-against-49ers-ve6qa4t-169272666.html

Marshall Newhouse won't face a more difficult assignment than RDE Justin Smith and ROLB Aldon Smith. Let's charge Newhouse with one hurry against Aldon Smith, but that might be nit-picking. Justin Smith is the gold standard when it comes to run defense, power rushing and stunts. The 49ers probably ran 20 stunts, but not once they did beat the tandem of Newhouse and Lang. Newhouse held up much better physically than expected. Justin Smith manhandles many LTs, and while there was considerable push it wasn't ever a flat-out walk-back. Lang anchored very well, passed off the stunts and even got movement against Justin Smith on a 4-yard run, the longest by a back all afternoon. Remarkably, LDE Ray McDonald probably played every bit as well as Justin Smith. Although Josh Sitton didn't give up a single pressure and had no "bad" runs, he struggled mightly staying in front of the powerful McDonald. Neither Bryan Bulaga nor Jeff Saturday was on his game. Bulaga allowed two pressures and two "bad" runs, and also was penalized twice. Saturday was just OK in the run game and yielded four pressures, including two each by McDonald and LOLB Ahmad Brooks.

smuggler
09-11-2012, 12:16 PM
I thought Newhouse was solid. Unfortunately, they have too many bulls in the front 7 for our OL.

wist43
09-11-2012, 12:52 PM
I thought Newhouse was solid. Unfortunately, they have too many bulls in the front 7 for our OL.

Any front 7 is too much for our OL to run block against. We have 5 pass blockers, and that's it. The Packers don't care about running the ball, and they don't care about stopping the run - I should think that obvious.

The Packers are built to play a certain type of game - if the flow of the game doesn't get into that rhythm, we're in trouble. Tough, physical teams can simply beat us up, and there's not much we can do about it.

mraynrand
09-11-2012, 12:58 PM
The Packers are built to play a certain type of game - if the flow of the game doesn't get into that rhythm, we're in trouble. Tough, physical teams can simply beat us up, and there's not much we can do about it.

I disagree. They can make teams pay for playing a deep cover two shell and relying on 7 for run defense. Holmgren would throw in all sorts of draws and screens to make teams pay. The scheme with Cobb was designed specifically to address this issue, and they made them pay. Just too much sloppy play and a so-so afternoon from Rodgers cost 'em - on offense.

MadScientist
09-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Bastard! Got my hopes up for a Campen canning, but no, just a normal stir-the-shit post.