PDA

View Full Version : Packers leaning on rookies

woodbuck27
08-20-2006, 01:57 AM
Posted August 19, 2006

Packers leaning on rookies

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

In the last five years, having a rookie as a regular in the starting lineup has been a rarity for the Green Bay Packers.

In 2001, the Packers had no rookies in their starting lineup. From 2002 to 2004, when the Packers were winning three straight NFC North Division titles, they had one rookie each year as a regular starter.

There was safety Marques Anderson in 2002, linebacker Nick Barnett in 2003 and Ahmad Carroll in 2004.

Last season, the Packers had two regular rookie starters — safety Nick Collins and guard Will Whitticker.

That makes five rookie starters in the past five years.

When the Packers host the Atlanta Falcons at 7 tonight at Lambeau Field, the Packers may have five rookies in the starting lineup. There's a slight chance there even could be six.

"Obviously, experience means a lot, and in a perfect world, you'd like to have everyone have two years of experience with preseason games and training camp to see how the NFL works, and then you put them in," Packers General Manager Ted Thompson said. "But it doesn't always work that way."

Finding players who are capable of being effective starters as rookies is rare. Of the 89 players on the Packers' roster, only nine were regular starters as rookies. Most of the Packers' best players, like quarterback Brett Favre, running back Ahman Green, receiver Donald Driver and defensive ends Aaron Kampman and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila spent a season or two as reserves before winning starting jobs.

That was when the Packers' roster was filled with veterans. Now, there's inexperience at almost every position.

"When I was a rookie, it was a big deal that I was starting. That's not the case anymore," Barnett said. "Things are different now. This is a different team. This is a young team."

In tonight's game, the Packers likely will start Jason Spitz and Tony Moll at the guard positions, A.J. Hawk at linebacker, Greg Jennings at receiver and Tyrone Culver at safety.

Only Culver, who is starting in place of Marquand Manuel, is an injury replacement. While linebacker Abdul Hodge hasn't cracked the starting lineup yet, it hardly would be a surprise if he's there when the Packers open the regular season.

"They're young, but they're good players," Barnett said. "They wouldn't be starting if they weren't."

The influx of rookies into the starting lineup likely is more a sign of how little veteran depth the Packers have. Earlier this week, when the Packers decided to demote guard Daryn Colledge, they had to look to Moll, another rookie, to take his place in the starting lineup.

"Watching Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz and Tony Moll, and not just the line but some of these younger guys, there is a lot of talent there," Favre said. "How long it will take these guys to get it and mesh together remains to be seen."

During Favre's 14 seasons with the Packers he's never seen this much inexperience in the starting lineup. During the 2000 season, tackles Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher, tight end Bubba Franks and linebacker Na'il Diggs were all regular starters. In most other seasons, it was rare for the Packers to have more than one or two rookies in the starting lineup.

Thompson has spent 25 years in the NFL as either a player or in the front office. He admitted he has no recollection of any NFL team starting five rookies.

"Not off hand," Thompson said. "I think that's just the way it is in this day and age. You have guys who are the best at their position. If they're the best players, there's no reason to save them."

Most of the Packers rookies are doing their best to embrace the roles they're in, and while they understand the growing pains that are ahead, they think all of the youth in the starting lineup is a sign of good things to come for the Packers.

"It's not a reason to be worried," Moll said. "It's a reason to be excited."

Dylan B. Tomlinson writes for for The Post-Crescent of Appleton. E-mail him at dtomlins@postcrescent.com

GO PACKERS ! HOLD FAITH IN 2006 !!

woodbuck27
08-20-2006, 02:00 AM
** Reader Comment Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:39 am

I saw the Bears game too and Cromarterie did a great job. I was thinking to myself why can't Ahmad Carrol be like that? I also saw the Bears defense and that's what our defense needs to be like, man they were good. Who knows though with all this inexperience.

** Rookies Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:44 am

Rookies are mixed blessing, of course, just like veterans. On the one hand, they are young and have the special energy, speed, and strength of youth. On the other hand, they have youth's penchant for brainless play.

Conventional wisdom is that rookies, by and large, are not ready to play on the elite level of a NFL championship contender. They tend to make too many mistakes and to make big mistakes when they make them. Exceptions to this wisdom are everywhere, however, and one hopes they are on the field tonight.

Bottom line, it is the preseason and rookies need to play.

** Rookies Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:44 am

Watched the bears game last night and if Rookies are a problem starting it must mean GB isn't doing an effective job drafting. Example? Cromartie last night and Bears return/WR rookie.

** Reader Comment Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:07 am

From 1998 to now, including all the years the packers started mostly experienced players, how many super bowl appearances have there been? how many appearances in the nfc championship? how many players have been voted to the pro bowl? seems to me, since '98, the pack been slouching inexorably to ice age, part ii. drink up, everybody.

vince
08-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Woody,

Thanks for posting these articles you are finding out there. It's great to come to one place for ALL the Packer news, information, and perspective from the greatest of the greatest fans in the world!

woodbuck27
08-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Woody,

Thanks for posting these articles you are finding out there. It's great to come to one place for ALL the Packer news, information, and perspective from the greatest of the greatest fans in the world!

It's my pleasure Vince, and Thank You for enlightening me on the Ted Thompson Mystery PLan thingy - yesterday.

Really nice job there Man.

You hit the nail on the head I believe, but Oh Man. . . .

We soon will be in a position I hope, like Backgammon, to always aim to double up. :mrgreen:

PACKERS FAITH PACKER FANS - in 2006 !!

vince
08-20-2006, 03:57 PM
What a great environment this is. I'm sure the idiots are out there, but I've not seen the "Since you disagree with me, your obviously retarded." posters here. Just ideas on display, and respect for other Packer fans who happen to have differing perspectives.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

pack4to84
08-20-2006, 07:08 PM
saw the Bears game too and Cromarterie did a great job. I was thinking to myself why can't Ahmad Carrol be like that? I also saw the Bears defense and that's what our defense needs to be like, man they were good. Who knows though with all this inexperience.
I saw that game too I thought Cromarterie reminded me of Carrol. He had 3 flags
1.Hands to the face
2. illegal contact
3. taunting

SD GB fan
08-20-2006, 07:35 PM
like AC, cromartie has the potential to be a great CB. he just needs to mature and gain experience (1 start in college). that might not be hard tho cos chargers secondary sux.

oregonpackfan
08-20-2006, 08:07 PM
The late Marquette basketball coaching legend Al McGuire once said about freshmen basketball players "The best thing about freshmen is that a year later they become sophomores."

To paraphrase that statement about NFL football rookies "The best thing about rookies is that a year later they are considered veterans."

No matter what their talent level, rookies are often overwhelmed by the huge transition to the professional level. In addition, they tend to make costly mistakes.

The Packers reliance on the rookies does concern me. It may be exciting to see new faces but they often come up short in critical game situations.

OPF