PDA

View Full Version : Trade Jennings?

Smidgeon
09-12-2012, 10:00 PM
McGinn is convinced Jennings is gone and is saying it'd be wise to trade him before the deadline due to injuries, replacability, and cost:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/trade-him-fi6rd6e-169565026.html

Two questions:

1) Would you trade Jennings?
2) If you would, what draft picks would you accept for him? (TT won't take a player for him; he'd take picks.)

RashanGary
09-12-2012, 10:02 PM
1. Yes, next off season after I tagged him
2. I would take an early 2nd

Joemailman
09-12-2012, 10:07 PM
1. Yes, next off season after I tagged him
2. I would take an early 2nd

I think is probably right if they can't sign him. By trading him you make sure he doesn't end up in Minnesota. Bears and Lions probably can't afford him because of the money they're paying Marshall and Johnson.

ND72
09-12-2012, 10:13 PM
The whole trade him has baffled me because of the tag idea. Would we not tag him and have more time to sign him long term? But yes I would trade him.

Guiness
09-12-2012, 10:57 PM
TT seems to prefer to just take the compensatory. Have to think he'd bring a 3rd for that.

Joemailman
09-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Packers could save about 14 million in cap space in 2013 by trading/releasing Pickett and Finley. Food for thought.

HarveyWallbangers
09-13-2012, 12:09 AM
TT seems to prefer to just take the compensatory. Have to think he'd bring a 3rd for that.

Seems to be when the compensatory is in the ballpark of what he could get in a trade. Of course, Jennings could get hurt and the 3rd could become a 4th or 5th.

NewsBruin
09-13-2012, 12:45 AM
Also, Jennings' trade value would be hurt by the lack of remaining years on his contract. A team would be paying GB for the exclusive right to negotiate a new contract (that GJ would have to approve, lest he not report to the team and negate the trade).

I'd think the franchise tag would be more appealing to Thompson, but I'm not up to speed on the tag value and its relation to our salary-cap space next year.

packrulz
09-13-2012, 05:36 AM
I'm not convinced Jennings has the leverage here, MJD and Wallace ended their holdouts because it hurt themselves more than the team. You have guys like Plaxico Burress, T.O., and Chad Johnson you could probably sign cheap. Also there is Boykin and Borel waiting to play and on top of that Jennings has a groin pull. No team will want to trade a draft pick for him.

Fritz
09-13-2012, 06:23 AM
I'm not convinced Jennings has the leverage here, MJD and Wallace ended their holdouts because it hurt themselves more than the team. You have guys like Plaxico Burress, T.O., and Chad Johnson you could probably sign cheap. Also there is Boykin and Borel waiting to play and on top of that Jennings has a groin pull. No team will want to trade a draft pick for him.

It's Jennings's' recent injury history that may be the biggest problem. He seems to be getting banged up more and more, and the concussions are especially worrisome. I don't know that he would have too too much trade value at this point - as someone pointed out, you'd be trading for the right to negotiate exclusively, plus 3/4 of play this season, depending on when he would be traded. I don't think you can get a second for that. Or even a third. Unless Matt Millen gets hired as someone's GM.

But wait, there's Dan Snyder...

Pugger
09-13-2012, 07:00 AM
Packers could save about 14 million in cap space in 2013 by trading/releasing Pickett and Finley. Food for thought.

Our run D is already atrocious and you want to get rid of one of our better run stuffers??

RashanGary
09-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Our run D is already atrocious and you want to get rid of one of our better run stuffers??

Pick should come on the cheap with his next deal anyway. I'd keep him. Plus, he's that run stuffer type who can usually play well into their 30s.

Finley though, a guy at work said after the JJ TD, Finely came running out to celebrate and AR, JJ and GJ. All three of them turned their backs to him and walked away.

That guy has more issues than just dropping the ball. If DJ Williams comes on, sometimes even if a player is talented you're better off without him. JF might fall into that category.

Tony Oday
09-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Trade him for an NFL saftey.

Patler
09-13-2012, 07:49 AM
Pick should come on the cheap with his next deal anyway. I'd keep him. Plus, he's that run stuffer type who can usually play well into their 30s.

Finley though, a guy at work said after the JJ TD, Finely came running out to celebrate and AR, JJ and GJ. All three of them turned their backs to him and walked away.

That guy has more issues than just dropping the ball. If DJ Williams comes on, sometimes even if a player is talented you're better off without him. JF might fall into that category.

Ya, a lot of those old D-linemen play in their mid-30s for minimum salary. Picket probably will not be quite that cheap, but no one will pay him a lot for a handful of plays a game, which is all he will be playing in a few years.

I've been saying the same things about Finley for the last year. Fans so desperately want him to be what his talent indicates he could be that they ignore some of the obvious, not the least of which is that he is a 5th year player still trying to figure out the game. A lot of fans are willing to overlook his drop on Sunday, because it was only one drop. To my way of thinking he failed to make a couple other plays, came within a whisker of dropping the ball on the play that was challenged, and again was the intended receiver on most of the passes that Rodgers was most off target on. I mentioned last year that Finley is most often the target when Rodgers "throws a bad one", and I am becoming convinced that Finley's route running must have a lot to do with it. You hate to give up too early on a guy with that much talent, but it is starting to look like some of the concerns might be chronic.

A lot of reports were that Williams had a very good camp. He has earned an opportunity, and at some point they have to work him in to see what he can do in real games.

It will be interesting to see where Quarless is at when he comes back.

denverYooper
09-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Ya, a lot of those old D-linemen play in their mid-30s for minimum salary. Picket probably will not be quite that cheap, but no one will pay him a lot for a handful of plays a game, which is all he will be playing in a few years.

I've been saying the same things about Finley for the last year. Fans so desperately want him to be what his talent indicates he could be that they ignore some of the obvious, not the least of which is that he is a 5th year player still trying to figure out the game. A lot of fans are willing to overlook his drop on Sunday, because it was only one drop. To my way of thinking he failed to make a couple other plays, came within a whisker of dropping the ball on the play that was challenged, and again was the intended receiver on most of the passes that Rodgers was most off target on. I mentioned last year that Finley is most often the target when Rodgers "throws a bad one", and I am becoming convinced that Finley's route running must have a lot to do with it. You hate to give up too early on a guy with that much talent, but it is starting to look like some of the concerns might be chronic.

A lot of reports were that Williams had a very good camp. He has earned an opportunity, and at some point they have to work him in to see what he can do in real games.

It will be interesting to see where Quarless is at when he comes back.

Williams was reportedly catching everything his way in camp and he won the John Mackey award in 2010, playing in the SEC, no less.

Interestingly enough, at 6'2" 245, he is the same height and weight as Aaron Hernandez of the NE Pats, the 2009 Mackey award winner.

Yeah, I'm excited to see what happens when Williams gets his chance.

mraynrand
09-13-2012, 08:04 AM
You have guys like Plaxico Burress, T.O., and Chad Johnson you could probably sign cheap.

it made my brain hurt, just to read that

pbmax
09-13-2012, 08:32 AM
The top of the market is Johnson at $18 mil/year and Fitz at $16 mil/year. If Jennings thinks he can approach that number, then leverage does not matter. It only takes one team to agree and no number of TO, Chad Johnson or Plax will change that.

Even if he were simply to get Vincent Jackson money, that's over $4 million more on the cap book.

To do a trade under either circumstance will require the Packers granting permission to talk to the team to secure a new deal, because no team will want to rent him. He's not a left handed pitcher.

The trade after tagging always sounds like a good deal, but its tougher to do than people think. You have to have a trading partner you trust that won't bail or balk after the tag is applied. And once the team does that, all the risk accrues to the tagging team. Jennings will be more sought after than Flynn assuming he is healthy. But its risky.

WR tag was $9+ million this year. With the revised formula, I think the biggest contracts are either delayed or compared to a larger group of contracts. So its possible, though not certain, that number will be going up. But its not quite the risk of Flynn's tag number.

red
09-13-2012, 09:00 AM
tag and trade next year

they didn't tag flynn because he was still somewhat of an unknown starter at the time, and there was thinking that people might not trade for that and we get stuck with a backup qb making a shitload of money.

jennings is a legit top 5 wr, still young, and a class act (which is rare for wr's). there should be no problem getting a 1st round pick for him, if not more. plus, if the tag # for wr's is around $9 million, well thats just about what he's worth anyways, so teams shouldn't have a problem taking on his salary (even though it will be adjusted after signing a new contract)

i would think jennings might be one of, if not the top guy on the market next year. you have to get something for that.

tag and trade. unless we can keep him with a decent deal for us.

Patler
09-13-2012, 09:29 AM
The trade after tagging always sounds like a good deal, but its tougher to do than people think. You have to have a trading partner you trust that won't bail or balk after the tag is applied. And once the team does that, all the risk accrues to the tagging team. Jennings will be more sought after than Flynn assuming he is healthy. But its risky.

WR tag was $9+ million this year. With the revised formula, I think the biggest contracts are either delayed or compared to a larger group of contracts. So its possible, though not certain, that number will be going up. But its not quite the risk of Flynn's tag number.

At least if they get stuck with Jennings after tagging him, they have a useful player. If they had tagged Flynn and been stuck keeping him, it would have been a lot more money for a player sitting on the bench.

mraynrand
09-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Jennings is so 2010

pbmax
09-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Roy Williams, 26, first-, third- and sixth-round picks (Jerry Jones)
Deion Branch, 27 first-round (Mike Holmgren)
Randy Moss, 27, first (Al Davis)
Peerless Price, 26, first (Arthur Blank)
Joey Galloway, 28, two firsts (Jerry Jones)
Keyshawn Johnson, 27, two firsts (Rich McKay)

Brandon Marshall (two thirds) in 2012
Anquan Boldin (third and fourth) in '10
Brandon Marshall (two seconds) in '10,
Chris Chambers (second) in '07,
Javon Walker (second) in '06
Justin McCareins (second), '06
Terrell Owens (second) '04
Keenan McCardell (third, sixth) in '04

All info from McGinn's article with blame assigned by Google.

Unless Holmgren, Jones, McKay or Blank are WR shopping in 2012/13, he is not going to yield a first round pick. The trend seems to be for less, though the names up top are bigger and brighter. Which is why Jerry "Moth" Jones has his name up there twice.

pbmax
09-13-2012, 10:47 AM
McGinn also makes a good point about Jennings in the slot. He might not be comfortable there yet. And Rodgers will have to get used to Jennings being the security blanket in the slot rather than Driver. While Driver and Jennings are almost mirror images of each other in build, their games and routes are different.

Smidgeon
09-13-2012, 10:53 AM
McGinn also makes a good point about Jennings in the slot. He might not be comfortable there yet. And Rodgers will have to get used to Jennings being the security blanket in the slot rather than Driver. While Driver and Jennings are almost mirror images of each other in build, their games and routes are different.

Jordy and Jones have demonstrated competence playing outside, Cobb is destined for the inside, and who knows the talent level of TT's second round WR in April 2013? It would be surprising to see two of those five gone next year, but it could happen. And if it does happen, the top three WR spots (two outside, one slot) are taken with a receiving TE taking the fourth.

ThunderDan
09-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Roy Williams, 26, first-, third- and sixth-round picks (Jerry Jones)
Deion Branch, 27 first-round (Mike Holmgren)
Randy Moss, 27, first (Al Davis)
Peerless Price, 26, first (Arthur Blank)
Joey Galloway, 28, two firsts (Jerry Jones)
Keyshawn Johnson, 27, two firsts (Rich McKay)

Brandon Marshall (two thirds) in 2012
Anquan Boldin (third and fourth) in '10
Brandon Marshall (two seconds) in '10,
Chris Chambers (second) in '07,
Javon Walker (second) in '06
Justin McCareins (second), '06
Terrell Owens (second) '04
Keenan McCardell (third, sixth) in '04

All info from McGinn's article with blame assigned by Google.

Unless Holmgren, Jones, McKay or Blank are WR shopping in 2012/13, he is not going to yield a first round pick. The trend seems to be for less, though the names up top are bigger and brighter. Which is why Jerry "Moth" Jones has his name up there twice.

No wonder Dallas has been average at best for the last bit.

Roy Williams 1,3,6
Joey Galloway 1,1

That is a lot of future potential traded away for crap.

Guiness
09-13-2012, 12:29 PM
No wonder Dallas has been average at best for the last bit.

Roy Williams 1,3,6
Joey Galloway 1,1

That is a lot of future potential traded away for crap.

Seattle took Shaun Alexander with one of those picks, he turned out pretty good. For some reason Dallas traded him, although he was playing well, straight up for Keyshawn Johnson!

rbaloha1
09-13-2012, 12:45 PM
No way Jose.

GJ needs to play outside the hash marks. Other receivers like Cobb and Finely are better suited for the slot.

Franchise when required.

3irty1
09-13-2012, 01:46 PM
GJ shouldn't cost that much because GJ already makes a lot. If he thinks he's going to sniff 16M he's high. As good as he is he can't change his mold and he's already one of the highest paid in that mold. Jennings is a fantastic weapon but he's not a 100-catch-per-year-just-lob-it-up-to-me type receiver. He has more value to the Packers than most anyone else I say lets instead ride him to the superbowl. Afterwards there are options, he can be tagged and traded when we see who's desperate for an upgrade. If all he'll bring is a 2nd I'd let him walk and take the comp pick. There is a chance he finds his way back home ala James Jones when he realizes that his position is the only thing he has in common with Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, or Andre Johnson.

smuggler
09-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Jennings played primarily in the slot last year.

run pMc
09-14-2012, 11:44 AM
I say keep GJ. Let him play out the season, but keep talking with his agent. You never know, maybe they work something out. I'd definitely consider tagging him to keep him another year, but right now he's going through an injury stretch and TT will have to see if it's a trend or not. When healthy, he's a legit #1 WR, is a playmaker and will draw the double team. IMO the offense works better when he's on the field.
I like James Jones, but I'd rather have GJ, Jordy and Cobb as my starting wideouts than Jordy, JJ and Cobb...particularly since Finley is on a short contract and is dealing with the dropsies.
That said, I wouldn't be surprised if TT drafts a WR on Day 2 in April 2013. With Rodgers, CM3, and Raji also coming due to re-up, it's going to be tough to stay under the cap and sign everyone.

I think TT would bring Taco Wallace and Antonio Chatman back before signing TO. (watch him prove me wrong.)

rbaloha1
09-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Mark Tauscher said receivers are dime a dozen. Also stated trade value is very low (cited Shaun Alexander example).

Disagree. GJ is special and vital to the Packer offense.

Patler
09-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Mark Tauscher said receivers are dime a dozen. Also stated trade value is very low (cited Shaun Alexander example).

If you are referring to the pre-game radio broadcast last night, that wasn't Tauscher who said that. Tauscher wasn't there last night. I think it was Vic Ketchman who said it.

run pMc
09-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Well, depending on what he meant, receivers are a dime a dozen. A Pro-bowl alternate quality #1 WR is harder to come by than a Cory Rodgers or David Clowney. The trade value of WR's has dropped from the days of Galloway to DAL and Moss to OAK, but you could say that about almost every position (even QB).

The falling trade value (or is it the rising value of draft picks?) actually supports the idea of keeping GJ for the season and having options: tag him, sign him, or let him walk. If they let him walk, they'll get a compensatory pick -- not what they'd get for trading him, but maybe not much worse. I think GB's chances of making the playoffs this season are better with him on the roster.

Guiness
09-14-2012, 02:31 PM
I think it would be beyond foolish to trade him this season. This team is built to last, but we're also built to win RIGHT NOW and we're absolutely a better team with him that without him, so I doubt the thought is even crossing MM and TT's mind.

Trading him...unless he goes to Cleveland or Indianapolis, with parity being what it is I'd be dead afraid of running into him in the playoffs.

MJZiggy
09-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Did you people not watch the receiving game last night? Jennings is still very much needed until the rest of our receivers understand that Yards after Catch means you're supposed to catch it first...Just sayin'

RashanGary
09-14-2012, 09:58 PM
AR is a great QB, but would you pay him 100 million per year? Nelson is a starting caliber WR and very reliable. Would he be work 50 per year?

I know this is an exaggeration, but if you pay one guy too much, it doesn't matter how good he is, he's taking more away from the team than he's giving. It's not like "oh, yeah, we could use Greg Jennings. No brainer."

There is this invisible grey zone where what a player takes away from the team outweighs what he brings to the team. Jennings is right in that grey zone. Hence, the conversation and speculation.

RashanGary
09-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Finley and Jones route running/dropsies are getting old, making this thing even more complicated. But. . . TT could find a Ray Rice in the draft next year for all we know. TT tends to find 3 for every 2 he loses. Whether we replace Jennings with a WR or a probowl safety, or a probowl DE or a probowl RB. . . . . As long as we keep getting impact players, we're not going to miss the ones we had to lose nearly as much.

In a vacuum, it's a no brainer. He's a Packer. When the money is tight, and we're looking at losing some big time players at other positions of greater need. . . . Now it's not such a no-brainer. Now you're making necessity decisions and a lot goes into them.

Patler
09-15-2012, 04:10 AM
I think it would be foolish not to at least pursue possible trade opportunities if the team thinks it is unlikely to be able to work out a contract with him. If they have decided internally that he will be allowed to leave in free agency, they need to maximize their return for him. Whether or not they actually do trade him will then depend on what teams offer for him.

The best they can hope for in free agent compensation is at the end of the third round, the equivalent of an early fourth round pick. That won't come until the Spring of 2014. They will play all of 2013 without Jennings and without anything for him.

On the other hand, they can trade him, lose about a half-season worth of games from him, but receive a 2013 draft pick for him. They will have value received for Jennings to use during the 2013 season.

Even if they trade him for only a third round pick, it will be a higher pick than what they might receive in FA compensation, and it will come a full year earlier than the FA compensation. Since the pick will be a full year earlier, it might be worth it to trade him for a 4th.

Patler
09-15-2012, 04:16 AM
There were a couple sideline shots of Jennings at the game. I had forgotten how small he really is. Standing among other players, he looked very small. It makes me wonder how well he will hold up physically in the years to come. It could be just one thing after another for him. Driver isn't any bigger, but his career isn't the norm, either. Historically, the littler guys just don't survive as long.

Smeefers
09-15-2012, 07:59 AM
I could give you a laundry list of short players who last in this league, especially at WR. Rison, Beebe, driver, santana moss, steve smith, lee evans, wes welker etc etc. I'm not worried about his longevity. I do agree that best case scenario would be a trade, but you know how rare that is. You basically have to be giving away one of your key players. Now I know how us Packer fans love to say that Greg Jennings is a top 5 reciever and we have some very solid evidence to back it up, but when it comes down to it, he's never been a player who can take over the game. Right now in the league, there's only two guys who can do that and it's Fitz and Johnson. Then there's the best of the rest. He's up there, but there's a lot of room for debate. You're never going to get what a guy is worth when he's in that catagory.

In the end, I'd rather keep him on our team for a year and hope he helps us win a super bowl. We got a lot better chance with him than without him and lets face it, the window only stays open for so long.

MJZiggy
09-15-2012, 08:05 AM
We're making a lot of assumptions here. Does anyone know what he's asking for? There are quite a few ways this could be playing out? They could be close on money, but not on years or Jennings could be asking for something reasonable and the team wants to move on or Jennings could be shooting for the moon which could easily backfire for him.

RashanGary
09-15-2012, 08:47 AM
In the end, I'd rather keep him on our team for a year and hope he helps us win a super bowl. We got a lot better chance with him than without him and lets face it, the window only stays open for so long.

I'm leaning this way too. Tag him next year, and trade him before the draft, or during it if a team doesn't land the WR they really wanted. I think it would be just as easy to get an early 3rd before or durning the draft as it would be to get a 3rd now.

Patler
09-15-2012, 09:27 AM
I could give you a laundry list of short players who last in this league, especially at WR. Rison, Beebe, driver, santana moss, steve smith, lee evans, wes welker etc etc. I'm not worried about his longevity. I do agree that best case scenario would be a trade, but you know how rare that is. You basically have to be giving away one of your key players. Now I know how us Packer fans love to say that Greg Jennings is a top 5 reciever and we have some very solid evidence to back it up, but when it comes down to it, he's never been a player who can take over the game. Right now in the league, there's only two guys who can do that and it's Fitz and Johnson. Then there's the best of the rest. He's up there, but there's a lot of room for debate. You're never going to get what a guy is worth when he's in that catagory.

My only point was that suddenly Jennings has shown vulnerability to injuries, and we don't know if it is a bump in the road, or an indication of what to expect in the years ahead. I think your list supports my concern more than it supports a belief that his career can go on and on. I already stated Driver is an exception. Of the others you mentioned:

Rison's last year was at age 33, and in his last 3 seasons combined he had 102 receptions. His last year of significance was at age 30.

Beebe turned 33 in December of his last season, during which he had 2 receptions. He was never more than a bit player anyway. Started very few games in his career. Certainly never faced the wear and tear that Jennings does.

Santana Moss is 33 and playing. He played just 12 games last year, with 46 receptions. Hard to say what the future holds for him.

Steve Smith is 33 now, and seems to be still going strong based on 2011 and his first game this year. Like Driver, might be one of the exceptions.

Lee Evans is 31, was released last spring, and hasn't been signed by anyone. In 2010 and 2011 combined he had 41 receptions and missed 10 games. Even in 2009 at 28 years old he had only 44 receptions, but that was for Buffalo.

Wes Welker is 31. The Patriots have not extended him, he is playing on the franchise tender, isn't he? There were a lot of rumblings this week, because he wasn't on the field a lot in week 1. Not sure what's up with that situation. Maybe nothing.

Greg Jennings turns 29 next week and has been hurt continuously since game 12 last year, more or less. Even by the examples you gave, it seems likely his best years are behind him, not in front of him, and in 3 or 4 years his career could be about over.

Patler
09-15-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm leaning this way too. Tag him next year, and trade him before the draft, or during it if a team doesn't land the WR they really wanted. I think it would be just as easy to get an early 3rd before or durning the draft as it would be to get a 3rd now.

That would sort of be the best of both worlds, have him for all of 2012 and get a draft pick in 2013 to replace him. But, the tag and trade thing doesn't always work either, which is why I think they need to be open to considering offers for him this season.

pbmax
09-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Jennings played primarily in the slot last year.

Was it primarily though? Was he always in the slot when nelson and Jones were in?

The other thing to point out about WR trade compensation is that all the players who yielded a first round pick were younger than Jennings.

rbaloha1
09-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Anyone notice the drops by Nelson and Finley? Both have not demonstrated to be a consistent number one receiver. The offense needs Jennings.

Everyone suffers increased injuries as they age. MM stated if the Bears game was on Sunday, GJ would have been cleared to play.

Jennings is too valuable to give up at 29 y/o.

Fritz
09-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Was in primarily though? Was he always in the slot when nelson and Jones were in?

The other thing to point out about WR trade compensation is that all the players who yielded a first round pick were younger than Jennings.

Jennings's latest injury has sparked my concerns about his ability to stay healthy and have a long career. Especially the concussions. I think our culture is turning a corner in the way it looks at football players and concussions, and it may be that his career will be cut short due to the concussions, whereas even ten years ago nobody would've paid much attention and Jennings would've just kept playing. But today I think teams are more concerned with the potential long-term effects of injuries - maybe partly from genuine concern, and partly out of fear of lawsuits.

In any case, I am becoming more hesitant to sign Jennings to a long-term deal. If I were Ted, I think I'd wait until later this season and see how Jennings's health is.

rbaloha1
09-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Agree TT should wait until the end of the season especially if Boykin plays like Antonio Freeman.

mraynrand
09-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Agree TT should wait until the end of the season especially if Boykin plays like Antonio Freeman.

what if he plays like the Antonio Freeman of 2001?

rbaloha1
09-15-2012, 10:22 AM
what if he plays like the Antonio Freeman of 2001?

NO AF circa 1996 - 1998.

Brandon494
09-15-2012, 05:50 PM
I can't wait to bump this thread next season.

mraynrand
09-15-2012, 06:37 PM
NO AF circa 1996 - 1998.

Let's have you be responsible for breaking Boykin's arm

gbgary
09-15-2012, 09:27 PM

http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/lol.gif

the concussion thing really bothers me.

Patler
09-16-2012, 07:42 AM

What do you expect the situation will be?
- Jennings in GB with a new long-term contract;
- Jennings in GB playing under a franchise tag contract;
- Jennings playing elsewhere after signing a FA contract in the off season; or
- Jennings playing elsewhere after having been traded by GB.

Smeefers
09-16-2012, 07:54 AM
I hope he will be in GB with a long term contract and I think we got about a 50 percent likelyhood of that happening. Otherwise he's a FA and gone in the offseason.

Oh, as for your injury point Patler, I bow to your superior wisdom. Perhaps he is reaching the end of his road. He sure doesn't play like it though.

Patler
09-16-2012, 09:36 AM
I hope he will be in GB with a long term contract and I think we got about a 50 percent likelyhood of that happening. Otherwise he's a FA and gone in the offseason.

Oh, as for your injury point Patler, I bow to your superior wisdom. Perhaps he is reaching the end of his road. He sure doesn't play like it though.

I have no wisdom about the injury issue, and no insight into the future. I simply raised the question, and then refuted examples posed as evidence to the contrary. Jennings might turn out to be like Driver and the Energizer bunny, and keep going and going.

An article pointed out that Jennings has not been able to finish the last four games he has started, all for different reasons. Is it just a coincidence? Maybe. Is it the start of a time when injuries will be an ongoing issue for him and reduce his effectiveness? Again, maybe. We don't know, but for me it does increase the risk factor in signing him to a long term contract. Some guys fall off rather quickly.

Smeefers
09-16-2012, 07:22 PM
I have no wisdom about the injury issue, and no insight into the future. I simply raised the question, and then refuted examples posed as evidence to the contrary. Jennings might turn out to be like Driver and the Energizer bunny, and keep going and going.

An article pointed out that Jennings has not been able to finish the last four games he has started, all for different reasons. Is it just a coincidence? Maybe. Is it the start of a time when injuries will be an ongoing issue for him and reduce his effectiveness? Again, maybe. We don't know, but for me it does increase the risk factor in signing him to a long term contract. Some guys fall off rather quickly.

Well fine, then I take back my bowing to wisdom and more give you a slight nod, with maybe a grin so you don't know what I'm thinking.

rbaloha1
09-16-2012, 09:23 PM
GJ does get nicked-up a bit. Nonetheless the productivity, knowledge of offense, and A-rod chemistry trumps the slight injury history.

Franchise the dude. Maybe A-rod restructures his contract to help-out.

red
09-17-2012, 02:32 PM
lets look at next season

driver might be retired. maybe we get tired of finley and his ball shit. if we also trade jennings. all of a sudden our high powered offense doesn't look so great

Patler
09-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Well fine, then I take back my bowing to wisdom and more give you a slight nod, with maybe a grin so you don't know what I'm thinking.

Wipe that damn smirk off your face! :-D

Patler
09-17-2012, 06:32 PM
lets look at next season

driver might be retired. maybe we get tired of finley and his ball shit. if we also trade jennings. all of a sudden our high powered offense doesn't look so great

Its called "evolving",...constantly evolving!

rbaloha1
09-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Its called "evolving",...constantly evolving!

Finley is still baby/immature/youngster. Hardly ready to be a "go to" receiver.

Are we witnessing another T.O.?

Pugger
09-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Finley can be butterfingers but from all accounts he is a hard worker and not a lockerroom cancer like TO.

Brandon494
09-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Finley can be butterfingers but from all accounts he is a hard worker and not a lockerroom cancer like TO.

+1

At least someone gets its, I truly believe that since our team is fulled with such high character guys some fans pile up on Finley. Let me know when this guy gets in trouble with the law or starts a yelling match on the sidelines.

gbgary
09-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Finley is still baby/immature/youngster. Hardly ready to be a "go to" receiver.

Are we witnessing another T.O.?

maybe fin the rookie but certainly not now. he's already a go-to receiver. just needs to eliminate the occasional drop (as do the other receivers). then he'll be a consistent go-to guy.

rbaloha1
09-17-2012, 10:54 PM
maybe fin the rookie but certainly not now. he's already a go-to receiver. just needs to eliminate the occasional drop (as do the other receivers). then he'll be a consistent go-to guy.

Can not be a go to receiver if you drop the ball as much as Finley.

Pugger
09-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Can not be a go to receiver if you drop the ball as much as Finley.

If a receiver who drops the ball are not go to receivers then Jordy and JJ are not either. If they are not, it would make zero sense to trade Jennings.

run pMc
09-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Re: Finley: I think he's a very good player and worth keeping. The dropsies tend to come in groups and can be contagious thru the receiving corps...I get it, but as a fan it can be frustrating. I'd really like to see him (and the WR's) start catching the ball -- and play as elite as people say they are. That's where any issue I have with Finley stops...from what I can tell, he's not a locker cancer or a Mossy Cade. Don't care if he likes Twitter, don't understand some of the hate either.

Re: Jennings. I'm starting to come around to the trading option. If I were TT, I'd at least listen to offers. He's 29, has been hurt lately, makes $9.2M, and wants Fitzgerald money. If the team can't tag him and stay under the cap then they have to trade/let him walk. Long term, I just don't see how they can sign him, Rodgers, CM3, Raji. Farther ahead, you have Finley, Burnett and Newhouse due for new contracts.

It's unclear GB has an answer at S this season, who plays C next season (or if Saturday can continue to cheat Father Time), plus people want to ditch Hawk...TT can address a lot of things in the draft, and I think WR is one of them. The offense is much better with GJ, but the WR group is deep enough (esp. if you include Finley and D.J. Williams) to still be good without him. TT has had decent luck drafting WR's and I think that will continue.

Pugger
09-18-2012, 10:23 AM
How do you know he wants Fitzgerald money? All he said is he is after a certain amount of money and told his agent not to bother him during the season unless the Packers have an offer with that amount. I think some of us and McGinn are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

rbaloha1
09-18-2012, 10:28 AM
If a receiver who drops the ball are not go to receivers then Jordy and JJ are not either. If they are not, it would make zero sense to trade Jennings.

Exactly my point. No receiver has stepped-up in Jennings absence to say, "I am the man."

Negotiating fodder for GJ.

rbaloha1
09-18-2012, 10:30 AM
How do you know he wants Fitzgerald money? All he said is he is after a certain amount of money and told his agent not to bother him during the season unless the Packers have an offer with that amount. I think some of us and McGinn are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Yea. Wish McGinn never published that article. Status quo is best in GJ matters.

Smeefers
09-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Re: Finley: I think he's a very good player and worth keeping. The dropsies tend to come in groups and can be contagious thru the receiving corps...I get it, but as a fan it can be frustrating. I'd really like to see him (and the WR's) start catching the ball -- and play as elite as people say they are. That's where any issue I have with Finley stops...from what I can tell, he's not a locker cancer or a Mossy Cade. Don't care if he likes Twitter, don't understand some of the hate either.

Re: Jennings. I'm starting to come around to the trading option. If I were TT, I'd at least listen to offers. He's 29, has been hurt lately, makes $9.2M, and wants Fitzgerald money. If the team can't tag him and stay under the cap then they have to trade/let him walk. Long term, I just don't see how they can sign him, Rodgers, CM3, Raji. Farther ahead, you have Finley, Burnett and Newhouse due for new contracts.

It's unclear GB has an answer at S this season, who plays C next season (or if Saturday can continue to cheat Father Time), plus people want to ditch Hawk...TT can address a lot of things in the draft, and I think WR is one of them. The offense is much better with GJ, but the WR group is deep enough (esp. if you include Finley and D.J. Williams) to still be good without him. TT has had decent luck drafting WR's and I think that will continue.

You know, I never really noticed it, but now that you say it, it does seem that packer drops do come in groups and through out the whole recieving corp. Repped for openin my eyes.

Brandon494
09-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Greg Jennings makes 7.347M.

run pMc
09-18-2012, 02:35 PM
How do you know he wants Fitzgerald money?

Was going off the JSO story that he wants that kind of money. Don't think he'll get it, but I think his agent started the price in that neighborhood.

Greg Jennings makes 7.347M.
Yeah, I was going off a caption in the JSO article. I see elsewhere online his cap # shows as $7,947,500...my bad.

Regardless, I think he's going to want more than what he's making, probably 'settle' for Vincent Jackson-level money. With other players (Rodgers, CM3) higher on the pecking order, I'm beginning to seriously doubt he's coming back. If somehow they did resign Jennings, would anyone blame Jordy if he asked to renegotiate his contract?

On the flip side, what are the odds nobody goes after him and he comes back a la James Jones? I could see Philbin in MIA or maybe STL chasing him.

Guiness
09-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Was going off the JSO story that he wants that kind of money. Don't think he'll get it, but I think his agent started the price in that neighborhood.

Yeah, I was going off a caption in the JSO article. I see elsewhere online his cap # shows as $7,947,500...my bad.

Regardless, I think he's going to want more than what he's making, probably 'settle' for Vincent Jackson-level money. With other players (Rodgers, CM3) higher on the pecking order, I'm beginning to seriously doubt he's coming back. If somehow they did resign Jennings, would anyone blame Jordy if he asked to renegotiate his contract?

On the flip side, what are the odds nobody goes after him and he comes back a la James Jones? I could see Philbin in MIA or maybe STL chasing him.

I think Jordy is more likely to try for a renegotiation if GJ doesn't come back. He's be a really underpaid #1, as opposed to being just an underpaid #2.

No way in hell nobody goes after GJ if he hits the open market, unless he's got some form of leprosy and his body parts start falling off!

rbaloha1
09-18-2012, 07:53 PM
I think Jordy is more likely to try for a renegotiation if GJ doesn't come back. He's be a really underpaid #1, as opposed to being just an underpaid #2.

No way in hell nobody goes after GJ if he hits the open market, unless he's got some form of leprosy and his body parts start falling off!

IMO Jordy's MO is not to renegotiate a bad contract.

Should GJ not be resigned, Cobb shall become the number one. The problem with Cobb becoming the number one is finding a suitable return man (something Cobb expressed since he would like to concentrate on becoming a better receiver.)

mission
09-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Exactly my point. No receiver has stepped-up in Jennings absence to say, "I am the man."

Negotiating fodder for GJ.

In the one game?

RashanGary
09-18-2012, 09:29 PM
In the one game?

Right. And Benson sort of did. You can replace a WR with a RB. Offense is offense. Next off season TT could draft a probowl RB and pay him 1.5M per year. The offense might be better off than having Jennings, and save 10M while doing it. That's 10M/year they could use to keep AR, Matthews, Raji and Bulaga in the coming years.

Brandon494
09-18-2012, 09:30 PM
I never thought of Cobb being a #1 receiver he does actually remind me a lot of Steve Smith. Don't know if he will ever be as good but I wouldn't bet against him.

Brandon494
09-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Right. And Benson sort of did. You can replace a WR with a RB. Offense is offense. Next off season TT could draft a probowl RB and pay him 1.5M per year. The offense might be better off than having Jennings, and save 10M while doing it. That's 10M/year they could use to keep AR, Matthews, Raji and Bulaga in the coming years.

Or just cut Hawk or the other aging vets with high salary numbers instead of your #1 receiver whos in his prime.

RashanGary
09-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Or just cut Hawk or the other aging vets with high salary numbers instead of your #1 receiver whos in his prime.

Show aging veteran players that would add up to 12M/year that you'd like to cut. We hardly have aging veterans to begin with. After this year, Woodson goes down to 5.5M/year. He's well worth that.

Oh, and I'm all about cutting Hawk. He would be gone right now if it were up to me. Bishop or no Bishop. We could throw Francois in there.

Brandon, you have to realize how much money we're going to have to spend in the next couple years. It's going to be at least an additional 30M/year just in AR, Matthews, Raji and Bulaga. It's huge money, cap space we don't have. We have 6M in space right now.

It's not that simple. There are tough choices when you have too much talent to pay.

Brandon494
09-18-2012, 09:44 PM
If Woodson goes down to 5.5 then that saves us 6M, Saturday making 4M , Hawk making 6.5, Driver 2.5M, Pickett making 5.7M, James Jones 3.1 and who knows if we will resign Finley who is making 6M. Of those guys I listed who would you rather keep over Jennings? Keep him mind hes already making 7.5M a season but if Jennings will only settle for top WR money then I guess he will be gone because some team like the Redskins will pay him.

RashanGary
09-18-2012, 09:49 PM
If Woodson goes down to 5.5 then that saves us 6M, Saturday making 4M , Hawk making 6.5, Driver 2.5M, Pickett making 5.7M, James Jones 3.1 and who knows if we will resign Finley who is making 6M. Of those guys I listed who would you rather keep over Jennings? Keep him mind hes already making 7.5M a season but if Jennings will only settle for top WR money then I guess he will be gone because some team like the Redskins will pay him.

I have a feeling a lot of the players you just listed will be gone shortly. Get rid of all of those guys and add jennings to the list, and you have about 35M. That's about what it's going to take to keep our stars around.