PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre - razor sharp as Packers top Falcons

woodbuck27
08-20-2006, 02:06 AM
Favre razor sharp as Packers top Falcons

By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writer

Sat Aug 19, 11:09 PM ET

GREEN BAY, Wis. - Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers' offense found their punch in a preseason game against the Atlanta Falcons on Saturday night.

Favre led the Packers on their first two touchdown drives of the preseason in the first half, and Green Bay beat the Falcons 38-10 one week after being held to a field goal in San Diego.

"We drove the ball really well," Favre said in quotes distributed by the Packers.

"We had some good drives. That was a good feeling, compared to San Diego."

Favre was 16-of-22 for 134 yards, throwing two touchdown passes to cap long drives and leading the Packers to a field goal after an interception by Falcons quarterback Michael Vick.

Vick played only the first two series for Atlanta, looking sharp on a seven-play, 80-yard drive on the first. Vick threw a 22-yard touchdown pass to tight end Dwayne Blakley to give the Falcons a 7-0 lead. The drive was set up by a 23-yard run by T.J. Duckett.

Favre then drove the Packers to the 3, where they had a first-and-goal. He threw a short pass that skipped off the hands of tight end David Martin and was caught by Bubba Franks to tie it at 7.

Vick was intercepted by Packers rookie Tyrone Culver on the Falcons' second series, and left the game after completing 5 of 7 passes for 59 yards.

Atlanta backup Matt Schaub entered in the second quarter and had good field position after a 43-yard kickoff return by former Packer Allen Rossum.

Schaub got the Falcons into Packers territory, and Michael Koenen kicked a 51-yard field goal to tie the game at 10 — another step toward solidifying Koenen's bid to handle both kicking and punting duties for the Falcons this season.

Favre threw his second touchdown pass to running back Najeh Davenport with 2:42 remaining in the half. Packers cornerback Jason Horton then intercepted Schaub's pass just before halftime, running it back 44 yards for a touchdown that gave the Packers a 24-10 halftime lead.

Schaub was 5-of-9 for 61 yards and an interception before he was lifted for rookie D.J. Shockley to start the second half.

Rookie receiver Greg Jennings caught a tipped pass from backup Aaron Rodgers in the fourth quarter and ran 85 yards for a touchdown, allowing the Packers to take a 31-10 lead.

Packers rookie defensive lineman Johnny Jolly intercepted a tipped pass in the fourth quarter, setting up Rodgers' touchdown pass to Zac Alcorn to make it 38-10.

The Packers got improved pass protection from a revamped offensive line, that includes two rookie starting guards, and struggled to protect Favre against the Chargers last Saturday.

But the Packers still didn't get much going in the running game.

Davenport, who is returning after missing most of last season with a broken ankle, carried 10 times for 30 yards.

Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall was injured in the second quarter.

GO PACKERS ! HOLD FAITH FOR 2006 !!

woodbuck27
08-20-2006, 02:20 AM
Favre, Packers' offense not half bad in rout of Falcons

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- A couple of their touchdowns might have come on fluke plays, but the Green Bay Packers offense suddenly looked legitimate on Saturday night.

One week after being held to a single field goal in San Diego, the Packers put together several sustained scoring drives in a 38-10 preseason victory over the Atlanta Falcons.

Brett Favre was 16-of-22 for 134 yards, throwing two touchdown passes to cap long drives and leading the Packers to a field goal after an interception by Falcons quarterback Michael Vick.

"We drove the ball really well," Favre said in comments distributed by the Packers. "We had some good drives. That was a good feeling, compared to San Diego."

Falcons coach Jim Mora said he was happy with his first-team offense but needs to see more from his reserves.

"It's good to come to Lambeau Field and have Brett Favre on the other side of the field and have 69,000 people in the stands and see how those guys handle the pressure," Mora said. "Tonight, a lot of guys didn't handle it well."

Vick played only the first two series for Atlanta, looking sharp on a seven-play, 80-yard drive on the first. Vick threw a 22-yard touchdown pass to tight end Dwayne Blakley to give the Falcons a 7-0 lead.

"I felt good. I think everybody did their job," Vick said. "The first unit went out and played with a high level of intensity and we were able to make plays, move the ball, possessed great tempo. When we came out, it was up to the younger guys to pick it up."

Mora didn't see that happen.

"After that, as everyone saw, it was downhill," Mora said. "You see we have a glaring deficiency in backups right now. Now that doesn't mean we don't have guys on this team that can't step forward and fill those roles."

Favre answered by driving the Packers to the 3, where he threw a short pass that skipped off the hands of tight end David Martin and was caught by Bubba Franks to tie it at 7.

"We had to come out and punch those guys in the mouth early, and we did," receiver Donald Driver said.

Vick was intercepted by Packers rookie Tyrone Culver on the Falcons' second series, and left the game after completing 5 of 7 passes for 59 yards.

Atlanta backup Matt Schaub entered in the second quarter and had good field position after a 43-yard kickoff return by former Packer Allen Rossum.

Schaub got the Falcons into Packers territory, and Michael Koenen kicked a 51-yard field goal to tie the game at 10 -- another step toward solidifying Koenen's bid to handle both kicking and punting duties for the Falcons this season.

Favre threw his second touchdown pass to running back Najeh Davenport with 2:42 remaining in the half. Packers cornerback Jason Horton then intercepted Schaub's pass just before halftime, running it back 44 yards for a touchdown that gave the Packers a 24-10 halftime lead.

Rookie receiver Greg Jennings caught another Packers touchdown off a favorable bounce, snagging a tipped pass from backup Aaron Rodgers in the fourth quarter and running 85 yards for a touchdown, allowing the Packers to take a 31-10 lead.

"They caught a lot of breaks," Falcons linebacker Edgerton Hartwell said. "A tipped pass for a touchdown, another tipped pass for a touchdown. A blown coverage for another touchdown. … Thank God for the preseason, it doesn't count."

Packers rookie defensive lineman Johnny Jolly intercepted a tipped pass in the fourth quarter, setting up Rodgers' touchdown pass to Zac Alcorn to make it 38-10.

The Packers got improved pass protection from a revamped offensive line, that includes two rookie starting guards, and struggled to protect Favre against the Chargers last Saturday.

"I think we're definitely headed in the right direction," said Packers coach Mike McCarthy, who earned his first preseason victory as a head coach. "You could see that we were capturing the line of scrimmage."

But Davenport, who is returning after missing most of last season with a broken ankle, carried 10 times for only 30 yards.

"I thought he played physical," McCarthy said.

Packers rookie linebacker A.J. Hawk made a couple of solid defensive plays in the second quarter, tackling Justin Griffith for a two-yard loss and breaking up Schaub's pass two plays later.

"As a whole, we played a lot faster tonight than last week," Hawk said. "It's good to get a win, even though it's just a preseason game."

Hawk was penalized 15 yards on the opening drive of the second half for roughing rookie quarterback D.J. Shockley, but later broke up an attempted pass by Shockley on third-and-15. Hawk's play should quiet some early criticism of the first-rounder.

"When he hits his comfort level, you're going to see what it's all about," McCarthy said.

Game notes

Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall was injured in the second quarter, but Mora said it was minor. ... McCarthy said fullback William Henderson and tackle Todd Williams both sustained knee injuries.

ahaha
08-20-2006, 10:41 AM
I think Favre showed last night that if he has decent talent around him he is still an elite quarterback. How good would Peyton Manning have been with the Packers last year? The offensive line is still a big question mark, but there performance was reason for hope. If the offense can remain relatively healthy(the depth in the recieving corp, and line looking pretty shotty), Favre could easily return to the 30td 4000yd range again.

Packnut
08-20-2006, 10:44 AM
As I watched the game this a.m. on the NFL network, the one thing that jumped out was Brett is still throwing lasers and his accuracy was amazing. No other QB could make the throw he made To Driver.

CaliforniaCheez
08-20-2006, 11:52 AM
I saw a couple of passes where the defense was great and the window for the pass to get to the receiver was about a square foot. Yet Brett got it there.

Where is all the washed up has been rag arm commentary on how much better the Packers would be with Rodgers? Anyone spewing that is willfully ignorant.

Tarlam!
08-20-2006, 11:54 AM
"No other QB could make the throw he made To Driver."

O.K. I am stupid, cause, I don't know what this really means. A lot of writers, fans make this claim.

Living in Germany, I only hear the games. Once in a blue moon, the Pack is live on the tele here. But I am yet to see Brett make a throw, NO ONE ELSE could.

Please, help me become less stupid and explain to me why he makes throws no one else can.... :cry:

fan4life
08-20-2006, 11:56 AM
I saw a couple of passes where the defense was great and the window for the pass to get to the receiver was about a square foot. Yet Brett got it there.

Where is all the washed up has been rag arm commentary on how much better the Packers would be with Rodgers? Anyone spewing that is willfully ignorant. Yesssirrreee. What a difference it makes when you have a coach and an OC that understand the WCO, eh?

Packnut
08-20-2006, 12:00 PM
"No other QB could make the throw he made To Driver."

O.K. I am stupid, cause, I don't know what this really means. A lot of writers, fans make this claim.

Living in Germany, I only hear the games. Once in a blue moon, the Pack is live on the tele here. But I am yet to see Brett make a throw, NO ONE ELSE could.

Please, help me become less stupid and explain to me why he makes throws no one else can.... :cry:

The velocity on this throw along with the small space he had to put it is what makes it a special throw. I'll try and paint the picture: Favre drops back and throws a bullet to Driver running a crossing pattern in the middle of the field about 12 yds (I think). The DB is pretty much on Driver's back when the ball gets there at the exact same time Driver look's for it. He also made a throw off his back foot that was amazing!

vince
08-20-2006, 12:01 PM
When you talk about Brett making throws that no other QB could make, I'd make the argument that he has the strongest arm combined with the quickest release of any qb that has ever played...

MadtownPacker
08-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Seeing is believing. Find a way to see the games even if you have to download them.

GrnBay007
08-20-2006, 12:04 PM
When you talk about Brett making throws that no other QB could make, I'd make the argument that he has the strongest arm combined with the quickest release of any qb that has ever played...

That was the thing that surprised me most after going to a game. TV does not do justice in showing how fast he throws the ball.

Packnut
08-20-2006, 12:06 PM

I agree. Marino had a quick release but he did'nt throw with the velocity that Brett does.

Packnut
08-20-2006, 12:09 PM

That was the thing that surprised me most after going to a game. TV does not do justice in showing how fast he throws the ball.

I remember Madden doing the baseball velocity equivalent thing on a Favre pass and it would be the same as a 96mph fastball.

CaliforniaCheez
08-20-2006, 12:12 PM
It is not just the famous "bullet through the keyhole of defenders". I've seen "touch" passes 6 inches over a leaping LB's hand arc down to where the only the receiver can get it from the DB.

Was Bill Schroeder and Antonio Freeman great receivers or did Brett make them look good? What Packer receiver left Green Bay and looked better elsewhere while Favre was QB?

Tarlam!
08-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Man, I hate this feeling. Thanks for trying to facilitate it, but I gotta tell ya, I am as dumb as i was before.

Mad, where can I download games?

Again, many thanks to you for trying. I would pay handsomely to attend a game at GB. I know it's a sold out season before it begins, but, tell me what airport I need to fly to internationally and how I can get to GB. I wanna see Brett's arm before I die.

ahaha
08-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Combine all that with his freakish ability to throw from weird angles. Has anyone in the history of the NFL been able throw across the body, going the other way, throwing to the other side of the field the way he does?

Packnut
08-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Combine all that with his freakish ability to throw from weird angles. Has anyone in the history of the NFL been able throw across the body, going the other way, throwing to the other side of the field the way he does?

HELL NO

Tarlam!
08-20-2006, 12:18 PM

HELL NO

That just might be how the induction speech to the HOF will read!!! :mrgreen:

MadtownPacker
08-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Mad, where can I download games?I get Sunday Ticket so I have never bothered to download games. Im sure some lowlife around here can help you though. :mrgreen:

Packnut
08-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Mad, where can I download games?I get Sunday Ticket so I have never bothered to download games. Im sure some lowlife around here can help you though. :mrgreen:

Hmmmm, the great debate: which is better sex or having Sunday ticket?

I love being able to flip to any game and check how my fantasy players are doing. I get to kick back and watch my beloved Packers. I guess I have to vote for Sunday cause after all, it lasts longer!

Tarlam!
08-20-2006, 12:34 PM

Or some co-fan might send me a CD-ROM or DVD if I pay for the postage to Germany!

Anyone prepared to do so, please PM me. Mad knows my private details and Bretsky has spoken to me on the phone. That's obviously not 1000% verified, but, it's more than many of you guys and gals can claim!

SEND ME SOME FILM!!!!

God, I hate begging, I always dribble out of the corner of my mouth when I do.

MadtownPacker
08-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Hmmmm, the great debate: which is better sex or having Sunday ticket?

I love being able to flip to any game and check how my fantasy players are doing. I get to kick back and watch my beloved Packers. I guess I have to vote for Sunday cause after all, it lasts longer!
Well I pay $200 for 4 months of Sunday ticket. How much love will $200 get you? Not 4 months for sure.

Sunday Ticket is the only way to fly. I would get it even if I could see all the Packers games for free.

Tarlam!
08-20-2006, 12:45 PM
...How much love will $200 get you?...

Exactly one hour of lust. At least, at my local :oops:

Patler
08-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Tarlam, the favre throws that I think others can't make are as follows:

Reveiver runs a route, gets open for a brief instant, but DBs are closing. the "window of opportunity" to complete the pass is very small in both time and space. The ball has to be a laser. If inaccurate, its intercepted or knocked down, If it takes too long getting there, the DBs have closed or recovered and are in position to intercept or knock the ball down.

In those situations, most QBs don't even throw, because they know that by the time the ball will get there it will be too late. Favre simply unleashes a rope that gets there, leaving the DBs scratching their heads.

You have to see it to appreciate it, especially preseason practices where you can be close to the action. Favre can throw the ball 30 yards without it seemingly ever getting more than 8 feet off the ground. He throws so hard with so much rotation that the ball actually whistles as it spins. Most QBs need more loft on throws that long, and their throws take MUCH longer to get there.

That's the kind of throw that only Favre, Elway and a select few others could make, and Favre maybe even more so than the others, including Elway..

Tarlam!
08-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Patler,....I just heard the click in my head.....

You are gifted...

Packnut
08-20-2006, 01:12 PM
...How much love will $200 get you?...

Exactly one hour of lust. At least, at my local :oops:

Now THAT had me laughing my ass off! :lol:

PlantPage55
08-20-2006, 02:47 PM
"They caught a lot of breaks," Falcons linebacker Edgerton Hartwell said. "A tipped pass for a touchdown, another tipped pass for a touchdown. A blown coverage for another touchdown. ... Thank God for the preseason, it doesn't count."

Heh, okay Ed...a BLOWN COVERAGE is not a lucky break - that's you guys not doing your job. Just had to get that straightened out

Brainerd
08-20-2006, 05:58 PM
What Packer receiver left Green Bay and looked better elsewhere while Favre was QB?

Not a single one comes to mind. Javon Walker is up next.

GrnBay007
08-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Tarlam, check out the thread with the highlights from the game. You will see one of those Favre lasers in a very small spot to Driver.