PDA

View Full Version : Mice And Men - Bears

LegandofthePack15
09-14-2012, 07:31 AM
Here's my take for this week.

Mice (Duds):

DJ Smith - What's the point of having an ILB on the field on obvious passing downs when he can't cover worth a lick?...Capers better instill the Zero-Sum package over the mini-bye...Not talking about Nash equilibrium...Imagine the Packers playing with 7 DBs and ZERO ILB...Replace Smith with Woodson to go along with Williams, Burnett, McMillan, House, Shields and Hayward.

J-Mike - Did he drop a pass? Fumble was inexcusable.

3rd Down Offense - Was so bad, I could swear Harrell was playing instead of Rodgers.

Rodgers - Another mediocre showing...a bit inaccurate...held the ball too long on a couple of sacks...pick was inexcusable...the Bear cb jumped the route...Rodgers should get together with his receivers over the mini-bye and start a boy band...call themselves "Out-of-Sync" b/c that's what Rodgers and his receivers are, out of sync...I don't wanna say Rodgers played like a rookie or that JORDAN Rodgers would've played better against the Bears...Don't want to turn off my new forum buddy, Ayn Rand. :grin:

Men (Studs):

Special teams - Fake fg td was well executed...unit neutralized a stallion named Hester...Crosby was perfect.

Matthews - Whoever said Matthews was his "BEEAASSTTT" on the NFL Network pre-game show...genius.

Defense as a whole - 7 sacks, 4 picks...made Cutler look like a rookie...won the game.

Cutler - Threw 4 picks but the 4th one was one of those "pouring salt on the wound" pick...McMillian clearly dropped the pick...the replacement refs decided that its only fitting that those who unwittingly started Cutler on their FF team(s), myself included, suffer even more.

mraynrand
09-14-2012, 07:36 AM
you know I love you. DJ Smith wasn't so bad. His coverage was just OK, and the big INT call was iffy.

mraynrand
09-14-2012, 07:40 AM
I changed my mind. DJ Smith was pretty bad

Packers4Glory
09-14-2012, 07:54 AM
not excusing the inaccuracy but Rodgers has went up against a couple good defenses right out of the gate. Tough for anyone to start the season. Hopefully he can settle in and get it rolling so when he has to face the better D's, he'll be sharp.

THey have got to find a LB who can cover a TE.

we need to work on 3rd and short. IDK what it is, but it shouldn't be so difficult to gain a yard. Is it blocking scheme? our O-line has to be able to win enough to get a frick'n yard.

the good is the secondary looked really good. we had some pressures and sacks in large part due to great coverage. this was a huge turn around.

Hawk has made some plays and caused some problems behind the line on some runs this yr. Walden looked like he had a decent game as well.

ST limited Hester aside from one decent return.

Zool
09-14-2012, 08:53 AM
I changed my mind. DJ Smith was pretty bad

He had a couple good blitzes, but his coverage was severely lacking. He would have given up another completion but Raji tipped the pass.

sharpe1027
09-14-2012, 09:19 AM
I never saw mcmillian's pick hit the ground on the replay. It probably did but it was certain on the replay I saw.

Just imagine how bad DJ's coverage would be against a good TE.

pbmax
09-14-2012, 09:31 AM
I was stunned the pic wasn't challenged but I did not think it was obvious. But wasn't getting an HD look either.

Tony Oday
09-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Studs:

Ced Ben! Gotta love good running

Shawn "Fire him" Slocum that was a balls to the wall gutsy call on the fake, GREAT punt and kick coverage

CMIII If you dont know you betta axe sombody!

Hawk Played fast and shot holes. Cant ask for more from this guy.

Raji can you say disruptive!

Worthy Lots of time in Cutlers Grill

Crosby didnt miss.

Duds:

Finley just call him drive killer. Williams later showed how a TE should be on third down, caught the ball AND got the first

Nelson: want to be elite? catch the ball when you get two hands on it.

Jones: That INT was his fault that was a 4th grader route

MM on 3rd and 1 pound it with Ced Ben dont do the short FB hand off.

MadScientist
09-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Men - Dom Capers. In a short week he made Shields the starter and dropped Bush to ST only, put McMillan in for Jennings and Walden in for Perry. Along with the changes in people, the scheme was adjusted to take advantage of the player's strengths. That was quite a bit to be done in so short a week. Apparently he is not a senile old goat after all.

Bossman641
09-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Thought Walden played a very good game

MadScientist
09-14-2012, 09:52 AM
I was stunned the pic wasn't challenged but I did not think it was obvious. But wasn't getting an HD look either.

The only reason for a review would be to change the stats. It was a 4th down play, and the yardage difference would have been minimal. They had already wasted enough time on replays.

mraynrand
09-14-2012, 10:02 AM
The only reason for a review would be to change the stats. It was a 4th down play, and the yardage difference would have been minimal. They had already wasted enough time on replays.

Amen! Preach it!

smuggler
09-14-2012, 10:37 AM

They didn't bother challenging it, because the pass being intercepted actually helped Chicago. It was 4th-and-long and he picked it off near the 1st down marker. If it were incomplete, it helps Green Bay. McCarthy just told them to forgo the review to help the game along. The ends of boths halves were very slow due to officiating and reviews.

The PI call on DJSmith was ticky-tack, but he did give up some completions. He got his hands up and started waving them, and the receiver tried to come back through him to get to the ball. I don't think Smith is required to get out of the receivers way on that pass.

3irty1
09-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Clay had a fantastic game and really the whole line did too. Daniels looks to be a major find IMO although I'll take it all with a grain of salt because the Bears really are that bad. Walden even looked like an all-pro.

Aaron had a misleadingly good game I'd say. All his best throws went through the hands of Nelson twice, Jones once, and Finley once. At the very least I think he played much better than his stats would indicate. This was a much better game for him than on Sunday.

John Kuhn is a real weapon in this league. A truly do-all player for his body type. Great special teams hit on Hester, several catches, and carry that went nowhere, but more importantly Kuhn is phenomenal in pass protection.

I think the credit for the Finley fumble should go less to Finley and more to Charles Tillman. He didn't drop it like a dumbass, he wasn't just putting it up on a platter, and its not the first time Charles Tillman has punched out a football. He's a good player.

I thought Hawk quietly has had 2 good games in a row. Is this the year?

McMillian looks like a nice find. I didn't expect such ball skills from him. Very instinctive and very fast. Reminds me of a young Nick Collins. By the end of the year I bet he moves Woodson into his more traditional role.

I think the opinions on here about DJ Smith will take a 180 before the end of the year. I like his attitude, I love his speed, I think he's got the hips to be successful covering a zone in the middle of the field. Playing man on a TE I'm not such a fan. I think as McMillan improves it should free up Burnett and Woodson to take on some more of those responsibilities so that Smith doesn't find himself in so many mismatches. I think he's holding up rather well though and it was nice to see he's got some potential as a blitzer.

mraynrand
09-14-2012, 10:55 AM
They didn't bother challenging it, because the pass being intercepted actually helped Chicago. It was 4th-and-long and he picked it off near the 1st down marker. If it were incomplete, it helps Green Bay. McCarthy just told them to forgo the review to help the game along. The ends of boths halves were very slow due to officiating and reviews.

The PI call on DJSmith was ticky-tack, but he did give up some completions. He got his hands up and started waving them, and the receiver tried to come back through him to get to the ball. I don't think Smith is required to get out of the receivers way on that pass.

Yeah. I thought that call was weak, just as as was the PI call on Finley. A defender has a right to occupy ground.

Smidgeon
09-14-2012, 10:58 AM

Mice (Duds):

DJ Smith - What's the point of having an ILB on the field on obvious passing downs when he can't cover worth a lick?...Capers better instill the Zero-Sum package over the mini-bye...Not talking about Nash equilibrium...Imagine the Packers playing with 7 DBs and ZERO ILB...Replace Smith with Woodson to go along with Williams, Burnett, McMillan, House, Shields and Hayward.

3rd Down Offense - Was so bad, I could swear Harrell was playing instead of Rodgers.

Rodgers - Another mediocre showing...a bit inaccurate...held the ball too long on a couple of sacks...pick was inexcusable...the Bear cb jumped the route...Rodgers should get together with his receivers over the mini-bye and start a boy band...call themselves "Out-of-Sync" b/c that's what Rodgers and his receivers are, out of sync...I don't wanna say Rodgers played like a rookie or that JORDAN Rodgers would've played better against the Bears...Don't want to turn off my new forum buddy, Ayn Rand. :grin:

Men (Studs):

Special teams - Fake fg td was well executed...unit neutralized a stallion named Hester...Crosby was perfect.

Matthews - Whoever said Matthews was his "BEEAASSTTT" on the NFL Network pre-game show...genius.

Defense as a whole - 7 sacks, 4 picks...made Cutler look like a rookie...won the game.

Cutler - Threw 4 picks but the 4th one was one of those "pouring salt on the wound" pick...McMillian clearly dropped the pick...the replacement refs decided that its only fitting that those who unwittingly started Cutler on their FF team(s), myself included, suffer even more.

And this time the assessment is accurate. ;)

Upnorth
09-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Did I miss an injury to Perry? He is showing no tackles. I thought I saw him on the field getting some pressure at one point, but might have been my imagination.

Smidgeon
09-14-2012, 11:01 AM
not excusing the inaccuracy but Rodgers has went up against a couple good defenses right out of the gate. Tough for anyone to start the season. Hopefully he can settle in and get it rolling so when he has to face the better D's, he'll be sharp.

THey have got to find a LB who can cover a TE.

we need to work on 3rd and short. IDK what it is, but it shouldn't be so difficult to gain a yard. Is it blocking scheme? our O-line has to be able to win enough to get a frick'n yard.

the good is the secondary looked really good. we had some pressures and sacks in large part due to great coverage. this was a huge turn around.

Hawk has made some plays and caused some problems behind the line on some runs this yr. Walden looked like he had a decent game as well.

ST limited Hester aside from one decent return.

You know, I'm not as unimpressed with TE coverage as everyone else seems to be. I still remember a few years ago when that TE would have 100 yards instead of 1 reception for 21 yards.

Smidgeon
09-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Did I miss an injury to Perry? He is showing no tackles. I thought I saw him on the field getting some pressure at one point, but might have been my imagination.

JS had a quote by Walden saying he was in the game because "the rookie had his hands banged up" or something to that effect.

Smidgeon
09-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Men - Dom Capers. In a short week he made Shields the starter and dropped Bush to ST only, put McMillan in for Jennings and Walden in for Perry. Along with the changes in people, the scheme was adjusted to take advantage of the player's strengths. That was quite a bit to be done in so short a week. Apparently he is not a senile old goat after all.

I know that his previous stops have been expansion teams, but the stat showing his defenses getting worse and worse the longer he's with a team still concerns me. I wouldn't go as far as senile old goat, but I'm still concerned.

Hopefully the pressure stays good enough, but I asked it in the Niners thread: why is Fangio (who was the d-coordinator for Capers on one of his stops) running such a better defense than Capers? I'd give the CB edge and OLB edge to the Packers between the two and ILB and DE to the Niners, but I really don't know enough to say. Is it the players or the scheme?

Zool
09-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Clay had a fantastic game and really the whole line did too. Daniels looks to be a major find IMO although I'll take it all with a grain of salt because the Bears really are that bad. Walden even looked like an all-pro.

Aaron had a misleadingly good game I'd say. All his best throws went through the hands of Nelson twice, Jones once, and Finley once. At the very least I think he played much better than his stats would indicate. This was a much better game for him than on Sunday.

John Kuhn is a real weapon in this league. A truly do-all player for his body type. Great special teams hit on Hester, several catches, and carry that went nowhere, but more importantly Kuhn is phenomenal in pass protection.

I think the credit for the Finley fumble should go less to Finley and more to Charles Tillman. He didn't drop it like a dumbass, he wasn't just putting it up on a platter, and its not the first time Charles Tillman has punched out a football. He's a good player.

McMillian looks like a nice find. I didn't expect such ball skills from him. Very instinctive and very fast. Reminds me of a young Nick Collins. By the end of the year I bet he moves Woodson into his more traditional role.

I think the opinions on here about DJ Smith will take a 180 before the end of the year. I like his attitude, I love his speed, I think he's got the hips to be successful covering a zone in the middle of the field. Playing man on a TE I'm not such a fan. I think as McMillan improves it should free up Burnett and Woodson to take on some more of those responsibilities so that Smith doesn't find himself in so many mismatches. I think he's holding up rather well though and it was nice to see he's got some potential as a blitzer.

I'm with you on most of this except Finley should definitely have 2 hands on that ball.

Also Smith was responsible for I think 2 of those long catch and runs by Forte.

rbaloha1
09-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Overall the defense played like men.

The d-line provided good penetration. Worthy's pad level is improved but wish he would play with better leverage.

The lb play was much improved. Hawk is playing with more fire. Smith was solid. Walden is playing as expected. Unsure about Perry -- is it injury? Playing too tentative. Maybe needs to bulk-up and take over for Pickett next season? Matthews was off the the charts.

The secondary should always play cover 2. Open field tackling was nice. SS finally stepped up. Mcmillian should be in the nickel. Heyward should be in the dime. Thank goodness JB and Jennings are on the sidelines.

The offense is more mice mainly due to AR's timing issues -- which is easily fixable. IMO a big part of it was during the preseason the main playmakers did not play together. Expect the timing issue to be fixed by the Monday night game. CB is the man and whoever called pass receiving a weakness was misinformed.

Cheesehead Craig
09-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Rodgers wasn't a Mouse but wasn't fully up to Man status either. He held onto the ball too long on too many occassions but his receivers gotta catch those passes. They do and we're talking a 3 TD game from him.

Benson was definately a Man last night. Much more decisive running from him, got involved in the passing game rather nicely. He is looking to be a massive weapon if he keeps improving like he has.

run pMc
09-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Is it the players or the scheme?
Good question. I think the 49ers are MUCH better at S and ILB and that really helps defend the middle of the field. Carlos Rogers is a halfway decent CB (I'd take him over Shields or Bush, but NOT Tramon). The Niner D is no pushover.

I'm still unsure if Rodgers looking off is because of the defenses he's faced, if there's preseason rust, or regression to the mean after a crazy season last year. I know this is a Capt. Obvious statement but he just seems less accurate vs. last year. WRs and Finley dropped some throws that wouldn't have been easy but they usually catch. Offense still seems out of sync.

Not converting two 3rd-and-1's in the 2nd half (runs by Benson and Kuhn) bugs me. Gotta get those.

McMillian seemed to have a good game. I recall him being a willing tackler and showed some range. Only one game, so jury's out on whether he can keep it up. I thought the secondary played better. Then again, Cutler takes chances and he was running for his life behind a leaky OL. CM3 and Walden really brought it last night.

Perry got snaps, didn't get any tackles so he didn't show up in the box score. I read elsewhere that he was pushing Carimi into the pocket enough to make Cutler uncomfortable but I wasn't watching for him so don't know if that's true or if he played well. I hope he's not hurt -- splitting time with Walden is a good way to keep them both fresh, and Walden always plays well vs. CHI.

Worthy was up and down -- he could've been called for a block in the back on the Crabtree TD but 97 wasn't going to catch Crabtree and it was an iffy call so I think the refs let it go. Saw him get after Cutler some, also seemed to get turned by the OL occasionally. He's a work in progress but he didn't hurt GB.

Bossman641
09-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Overall the defense played like men.

The d-line provided good penetration. Worthy's pad level is improved but wish he would play with better leverage.

The lb play was much improved. Hawk is playing with more fire. Smith was solid. Walden is playing as expected. Unsure about Perry -- is it injury? Playing too tentative. Maybe needs to bulk-up and take over for Pickett next season? Matthews was off the the charts.

The secondary should always play cover 2. Open field tackling was nice. SS finally stepped up. Mcmillian should be in the nickel. Heyward should be in the dime. Thank goodness JB and Jennings are on the sidelines.

The offense is more mice mainly due to AR's timing issues -- which is easily fixable. IMO a big part of it was during the preseason the main playmakers did not play together. Expect the timing issue to be fixed by the Monday night game. CB is the man and whoever called pass receiving a weakness was misinformed.

WTF. Haven't you been arguing for Bush over Shields for weeks?

denverYooper
09-14-2012, 05:36 PM

Mice (Duds):

Jermichael had a rough night. Missed a block that got Jones nearly killed, dropped one, missed another ball (that he would have caught pre-IR), and then the FF. He used to be money under the lights and vs Chicago. Hopefully this is him bottoming out before he rebounds to the stratosphere.

denverYooper
09-14-2012, 05:39 PM
I thought McMillan was a man. He wasn't making huge plays all night like some of the more esteemed members of the D but whenever I saw him in he seemed to be flying to the ball and has an intensity about his approach that you don't see from other DBs on the team.

mission
09-14-2012, 06:08 PM
- Agree with DY and the rest of you on McMillian. Nothing really stand out but seemed like he was always around the ball and you never saw him running to a guy 10 yards away that he was supposed to cover. So I guess he was relatively assignment sure. Great nose for the ball, should rub off on the others.
- Shields was shutdown and also seems more aggressive. Great carry over from the niners game. Dom said in his presser that it was 37's best game as a Packer.
- Perry injury is a wrist from the 49ers game (Dom presser). Nothing serious, just being cautious. MM loved the rotation at OLB (presser).
- I'd like to see what Francois or Lattimore could do in 3rd and long, super obvious passing situations. DJ Smith will get better in that role, but these guys seem better suited for it. DJ Smith bounced back.
- This feels like 2010 to me. The defense is going to get stout and it will take some time for the offense to really gel. There's something that's causing that, probably more the fact that this team is still forging its identity... trying to figure out who they are now with Benson in the backfield and Cobb adding a completely fresh element. I expect them to really gel as the year goes on.
- Loved the defense in general. Not much to say about the LB and DL that hasn't been said. The guys are stepping up, I really like the young talent.

Biggest thing overall..... personnel changes. McMillian and Shields over Bush and Jennings. Bush is just in no way an NFL starter... I like him as a Packers, in his role, but that's it. The rotation at OLB with Walden back in the mix and Moses at least holding his own. Lots of competition on that side of the ball. Capers finally growing some balls and making some changes is beautiful. Hopefully House progresses and with Hayward being solid, wow... this defense COULD be amazing by the end of the year. I know, sounds crazy and injuries could change that. I see a big turn around ... I don't think I flipped out or over-reacted over the 49ers loss. Disappointed, yes... don't think I'm over-reacting in the opposite direction here. This personnel is really going to evolve the defense especially.

George Cumby
09-14-2012, 06:47 PM
- Agree with DY and the rest of you on McMillian. Nothing really stand out but seemed like he was always around the ball and you never saw him running to a guy 10 yards away that he was supposed to cover. So I guess he was relatively assignment sure. Great nose for the ball, should rub off on the others.
- Shields was shutdown and also seems more aggressive. Great carry over from the niners game. Dom said in his presser that it was 37's best game as a Packer.
- Perry injury is a wrist from the 49ers game (Dom presser). Nothing serious, just being cautious. MM loved the rotation at OLB (presser).
- I'd like to see what Francois or Lattimore could do in 3rd and long, super obvious passing situations. DJ Smith will get better in that role, but these guys seem better suited for it. DJ Smith bounced back.
- This feels like 2010 to me. The defense is going to get stout and it will take some time for the offense to really gel. There's something that's causing that, probably more the fact that this team is still forging its identity... trying to figure out who they are now with Benson in the backfield and Cobb adding a completely fresh element. I expect them to really gel as the year goes on.
- Loved the defense in general. Not much to say about the LB and DL that hasn't been said. The guys are stepping up, I really like the young talent.

Biggest thing overall..... personnel changes. McMillian and Shields over Bush and Jennings. Bush is just in no way an NFL starter... I like him as a Packers, in his role, but that's it. The rotation at OLB with Walden back in the mix and Moses at least holding his own. Lots of competition on that side of the ball. Capers finally growing some balls and making some changes is beautiful. Hopefully House progresses and with Hayward being solid, wow... this defense COULD be amazing by the end of the year. I know, sounds crazy and injuries could change that. I see a big turn around ... I don't think I flipped out or over-reacted over the 49ers loss. Disappointed, yes... don't think I'm over-reacting in the opposite direction here. This personnel is really going to evolve the defense especially.

Nice analysis. Thanks.

Iron Mike
09-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Derpmichael had a rough three years.

Fixed. :)

Pugger
09-14-2012, 11:55 PM

This.

BobDobbs
09-15-2012, 12:33 AM

I'm feelin you on all that.

I don't like DJ Smith as the dime backer. It's the slow and short factor. But, I did like alot of the other things he does. The opening snap sack was fantastic. He came with a few other nice blitzes, too. He knows where he's going and he loves contact. I'm loving the Linebacker rotation. It's not even like they are just switching guys out. They are moving them all over the formation depending on what they are trying to do. Can we have Matthews, Perry, Moses, and Walden all on the field at the same time. Yes, Please.

Super excited for the young guys to get on the field. I felt like one of the benefits of last week was to get Bush and Dr. Jennings off the field week 1. I never got why they were with the starters. So now its in with the new. Daniels got his first playing time and Worthy looked active and even made a couple of nice run stops. I'm looking forward to seeing those guys on turf next week.

Remember when McCarthy used to say that he didn't like one back to get a ton of carries? Guess he changed his mind. Benson is our feature back.

I just rewatched the game in condensed form. Newhouse had his moments, but he's not that good. I think we can win with him, but he's got some issues.

Just a side note, everyone who is worried about Rodgers right now is going to feel dumb when the media narrative changes in weeks four and five when he magically has monster games. It's the defenses we're playing along with some early season rust. He's gonna tear it up this year.

Patler
09-15-2012, 04:25 AM
I watched again the replay of Finley's fumble. Finley was carrying the ball very loosely. It didn't take much to knock it out. Finley knew contact was coming, and he had time to secure the ball. He didn't do a very good job of it. Maybe Tillman would have knocked it out anyway, but it was still a poor performance by Finley.

Smeefers
09-15-2012, 07:47 AM
I watched again the replay of Finley's fumble. Finley was carrying the ball very loosely. It didn't take much to knock it out. Finley knew contact was coming, and he had time to secure the ball. He didn't do a very good job of it. Maybe Tillman would have knocked it out anyway, but it was still a poor performance by Finley.

Stole my thunder.

RashanGary
09-15-2012, 08:52 AM

I don't give that guy man passes, but he was really fighting for that first down. He had to give everything he had to get it. The way that game was going, a punt wouldn't have been the end of the world. He's completely undisciplined, but that was a very natural thing for a competitor to do. One play, he gets a pass. PRoblem is, he never learns, never adjusts. Long term, it's one more reason to doubt that guy.

Patler
09-15-2012, 09:49 AM
I don't give that guy man passes, but he was really fighting for that first down. He had to give everything he had to get it. The way that game was going, a punt wouldn't have been the end of the world. He's completely undisciplined, but that was a very natural thing for a competitor to do. One play, he gets a pass. PRoblem is, he never learns, never adjusts. Long term, it's one more reason to doubt that guy.

I understand your argument, but just want to point out that the play started with the ball at the Chicago 23, so it wasn't get a first down or punt, it was get a first down or kick a field goal, hopefully.

mraynrand
09-15-2012, 09:54 AM
The Packers know all about Tillman. They should have all been on high alert to secure the football. Finley just blew it.

mission
09-15-2012, 10:32 AM
The ball was down horizontally near Finley's waist on that play. If he was carrying it high and tight vertically then I'd say it was just a great play by Tillman. Still a nice play by Tillman but most guys go for the ball on every tackle and rarely does it come out secured properly.

I don't hate Finley though. Everyone expects him to be Jimmy Graham or Gronkowski, and he's not. That's OK. Maybe not worth 7 mil a year but probably not a lot less. He's a gameplan nightmare and will make some big plays for us. Despite what he thinks, he's the not best and won't ever be the best. And I'm OK with him being a Packer, not being the best.

Pugger
09-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Rodgers wasn't a Mouse but wasn't fully up to Man status either. He held onto the ball too long on too many occassions but his receivers gotta catch those passes. They do and we're talking a 3 TD game from him.

Benson was definately a Man last night. Much more decisive running from him, got involved in the passing game rather nicely. He is looking to be a massive weapon if he keeps improving like he has.

I'm hoping he'll be even better with a few extra practices this coming week too. If he continues to give us a legit running game our offense will be even more of a terror to opposing defenses once AR gets in sync with our WRs.

pbmax
09-15-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm with you on most of this except Finley should definitely have 2 hands on that ball.

Also Smith was responsible for I think 2 of those long catch and runs by Forte.

He needed the four points of contact. Had he carried it up high and against his body, its not coming out. Instead, he was trying to get yardage and that when the Bears get those fumbles.

Deputy Nutz
09-15-2012, 03:40 PM
DJ Smith had a tough game in coverage, and if they are going to use him in the dime they should only have him covering running backs, or fullbacks out of the backfield, although not many fullbacks play on 3rd and long. Hawk should probably take over at least he understands where he needs to be in zone coverage. I have to give Capers credit for playing a lot of man under zone with safety help over the top. This could also have been the issue with the coverage problems in regards to Smith, he had a bit more coverage responsibilities with the safeties playing over the top on the outside.

I know there are a lot of Hawk bashers on this forum but Hawk is do quite well at this point in the season. He is making really good reads off the snap and is not waiting around to be engulfed by linemen. The best quality at this level for an inside linebacker is the ability to take in the presnap read and react at the snap of the ball, offensive linemen are too big and too fast to slow play anything in a 3-4 defense. Hawk is doing a better job early in the season.

The worst thing that happened two years ago was that BJ Raji started to believe that he was a pass rusher, and big play maker. He is constantly standing up and looking in the back field. He needs to take up blockers at the point of attack and make plays on the line of scrimmage. I am not at this point impressed by his play.

Aaron Rodgers is a good qb, but he will never have a season like the one he had last year. That was a magic carpet ride like season, he is good if not borderline great but if he is going to be held to the expectations of last year, every year after will be considered a disappointment or a down year. McCarthy's play calling will be the best thing for Rodgers, if he continues to run Benson, and get the ball in Benson's hands 20-25 times a game this offense will be successful, maybe not as dynamic as it was last year, but successful none the less.

mission
09-16-2012, 02:30 PM
DJ Smith had a tough game in coverage, and if they are going to use him in the dime they should only have him covering running backs, or fullbacks out of the backfield, although not many fullbacks play on 3rd and long. Hawk should probably take over at least he understands where he needs to be in zone coverage. I have to give Capers credit for playing a lot of man under zone with safety help over the top. This could also have been the issue with the coverage problems in regards to Smith, he had a bit more coverage responsibilities with the safeties playing over the top on the outside.

I know there are a lot of Hawk bashers on this forum but Hawk is do quite well at this point in the season. He is making really good reads off the snap and is not waiting around to be engulfed by linemen. The best quality at this level for an inside linebacker is the ability to take in the presnap read and react at the snap of the ball, offensive linemen are too big and too fast to slow play anything in a 3-4 defense. Hawk is doing a better job early in the season.

The worst thing that happened two years ago was that BJ Raji started to believe that he was a pass rusher, and big play maker. He is constantly standing up and looking in the back field. He needs to take up blockers at the point of attack and make plays on the line of scrimmage. I am not at this point impressed by his play.

Aaron Rodgers is a good qb, but he will never have a season like the one he had last year. That was a magic carpet ride like season, he is good if not borderline great but if he is going to be held to the expectations of last year, every year after will be considered a disappointment or a down year. McCarthy's play calling will be the best thing for Rodgers, if he continues to run Benson, and get the ball in Benson's hands 20-25 times a game this offense will be successful, maybe not as dynamic as it was last year, but successful none the less.

Bolded is garbage. Matt Ryan is a good QB, Joe Flacco is a good QB.

Smeefers
09-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Bolded is garbage. Matt Ryan is a good QB, Joe Flacco is a good QB.

Yeah. Rodgers couldn't even wash their jock straps...

hehehe

ThunderDan
09-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Studs-

The old lady sitting next to us on Thursday night. We had 4 Bears fans sitting right in front of us. They were yapping the whole first half. When the Packers went up 23-3 the old lady, probably late 60s-early 70s, taps one of the guys on the shoulder. She says very loudly so that people within 5 rows can hear, "It sure is mighty quite up there now. It's like crickets."