PDA

View Full Version : nick perry

red
09-14-2012, 08:10 PM
so, i'm pretty sure i saw him on the sidelines in street clothes.

whats up with that

is he hurt?

or did he play, and i just have a tough time telling the difference between black players because all black people look the same to me?

Brando19
09-14-2012, 08:45 PM
He played, but Walden played more than Perry. I think Perry is injured and they're limiting his reps.

KYPack
09-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Perry played terribly against SF.

He a good young kid, but greener than goose shit.

He was a stand-up DE at USC, like Clay, but nowhere near a finished product at LOLB.

He may help us someday, but he needs a ton of training.

Brandon494
09-14-2012, 09:35 PM
The whole team played like shit against SF. What do you expect when they match him in zone coverage against a WR?

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Watch the 4th quarter again. He had several good rushes in his 20 snaps.

RashanGary
09-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Watch the 4th quarter again. He had several good rushes in his 20 snaps.

MM said we have a lot of role players, adn they have to play those roles well. Perry falls into that category. He needs to press that pocket so Qb's can't get away from Clay. On pure passing downs, Perry plays, and is a difference maker for us.

Next year, he has another shot at starting. He went through a very big transition. There's nothing wrong with easing him in by letting him do what he does best while he works on the other areas of his game in practice. Walden has really come on. Perry brings pass rush off the bench. It's a good situation.

KYPack
09-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Now you lads usually know what you are talking about, but Perry was benched and justifiably so.

The guy was totally lost. His two most glaring errors came on a pass and a run.

On one coverage that I saw, the kid read pass. He ran back to his landmark and then squatted down, flat footed. He wasn't on a WR, he was just lost at sea.

The other giant screw-up was on the Gore TD. Perry got hammered by the tackle and completely gave up contain. It was like KC last season. They saw the tape on those plays and other like it and sat him down.

He may learn the job over time, but he's way too green to start and get a lot of snaps right now.

Smidgeon
09-14-2012, 10:29 PM
so, i'm pretty sure i saw him on the sidelines in street clothes.

whats up with that

or did he play, and i just have a tough time telling the difference between black players because all black people look the same to me?

I think that was another player. I saw someone I thought was Perry at first in street clothes, but I don't think it was him.

RashanGary
09-14-2012, 10:32 PM
He may learn the job over time, but he's way too green to start and get a lot of snaps right now.

You thinkin situational pass rusher? ?

pbmax
09-15-2012, 09:58 AM
http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/55520/GB_Gamebook.pdf

Finally they got the snap stats into the game book. Perry did play 20 snaps. But as KYPack indicates, I think Walden is the base OLB for now. Perry gets rotated in and I think he is on the sub-Psycho package where Matthews lines up in the middle with dime ILB and Woodson.

rbaloha1
09-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Now you lads usually know what you are talking about, but Perry was benched and justifiably so.

On one coverage that I saw, the kid read pass. He ran back to his landmark and then squatted down, flat footed. He wasn't on a WR, he was just lost at sea.

The other giant screw-up was on the Gore TD. Perry got hammered by the tackle and completely gave up contain. It was like KC last season. They saw the tape on those plays and other like it and sat him down.

Agree KFC. Thinking too much.

Also needs to show counter moves than just a bull rush. Thank goodness Walden is playing well.

mraynrand
09-15-2012, 10:03 AM
http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/55520/GB_Gamebook.pdf

Finally they got the snap stats into the game book. Perry did play 20 snaps. But as KYPack indicates, I think Walden is the base OLB for now. Perry gets rotated in and I think he is on the sub-Psycho package where Matthews lines up in the middle with dime ILB and Woodson.

"Since Capers has come to Green Bay, all we get are these cutsie packages and clever alignments, but whenever we have to play a hard-hitting team that can run the ball, like Atlanta and Pittsburgh, we invariably get killed because the other teams just run us over with their power. Capers will never be successful in Green Bay because he is too soft and tries too many crazy schemes"

Sincerely, Wist

mission
09-15-2012, 10:05 AM

He didn't get benched. He had a wrist injury at SF and has been on a snap count all week. Plus Walden coming back, who knows if Perry was even #1 in the eyes of the coaches (before week 1) with Walden in the mix? The preseason snaps could have just been to get a rookie ready for a week 1 start with the better guy coming back week 2. Not saying Walden is better, but they have their strengths, and Perry was not put in a position week 1 to capitalize on his. Just be patient, man!

pbmax
09-15-2012, 10:06 AM
"Since Capers has come to Green Bay, all we get are these cutsie packages and clever alignments, but whenever we have to play a hard-hitting team that can run the ball, like Atlanta and Pittsburgh, we invariably get killed because the other teams just run us over with their power. Capers will never be successful in Green Bay because he is too soft and tries too many crazy schemes"

Sincerely, Wist

Wist should explain two game win streak versus the more physical Falcons.

pbmax
09-15-2012, 10:07 AM
He didn't get benched. He had a wrist injury at SF and has been on a snap count all week. Plus Walden coming back, who knows if Perry was even #1 in the eyes of the coaches (before week 1) with Walden in the mix? The preseason snaps could have just been to get a rookie ready for a week 1 start with the better guy coming back week 2. Not saying Walden is better, but they have their strengths, and Perry was not put in a position week 1 to capitalize on his. Just be patient, man!

I read that too but it doesn't mesh with getting reps at the end of the game. I hope he does still play because he's going to have to learn eventually.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Walden has really come on. Perry brings pass rush off the bench. It's a good situation.

It's a mildly disappointing situation. You give a first round draft pick a chance to start and he doesn't show the skills to play the position. It's true he is making a difficult transition, but like Aaron Kampman, we may find that Perry can't excell at linebacker. I was listening to some of the sportswriters on the radio, and they said he has tree trunk legs and stiff hips, he just looks wrong in practice trying to play linebacker. But Perry does have power and burst. I expect they'll figure something out, but pretending that they didn't expect Perry to be quick upgrade over Walden is head-in-sand.

mraynrand
09-15-2012, 10:10 AM
but pretending that they didn't expect Perry to be quick upgrade over Walden is head-in-sand.

Yes. They expected - at least - that he would be a serious upgrade in the run game. But his errors there are correctible. Can't sell out inside when you are the edge contain guy. That's just a transition mistake; thinking like an end when you are an OLB.

mission
09-15-2012, 10:13 AM
I really don't think he's played poorly at all. Again, you can't have a rookie OLB standing up in the slot against Michael Crabtree. He'd make Clay look silly too.

You guys are reaching.

rbaloha1
09-15-2012, 10:13 AM
It's a mildly disappointing situation. You give a first round draft pick a chance to start and he doesn't show the skills to play the position. It's true he is making a difficult transition, but like Aaron Kampman, we may find that Perry can't excell at linebacker. I was listening to some of the sportswriters on the radio, and they said he has tree trunk legs and stiff hips, he just looks wrong in practice trying to play linebacker. But Perry does have power and burst. I expect they'll figure something out, but pretending that they didn't expect Perry to be quick upgrade over Walden is head-in-sand.

First round picks are often given a starting job (Tauscher does not agree in handing a starting position to a rookie). Recall Sherrod was given the number one left guard position last year.

Be patient with Perry.

At the end of the day, if the olb position does not work-out NP can bulk-up and replace start at de next to Matthews next year.

IMO this is not another Kampman which was like watching a giraffe go backwards.

mraynrand
09-15-2012, 10:17 AM
I really don't think he's played poorly at all. Again, you can't have a rookie OLB standing up in the slot against Michael Crabtree. He'd make Clay look silly too.

You guys are reaching.

I agree with you on some of the plays - they got out-schemed by SF. But he's made some unforced errors of his own. Nothing serious, nothing that can't be 'fixed.' I can only speak for myself, but I see a lot of potential there; way too early to make long term proclamations. But the Packers did want him to be good enough to start in place of the post-GF abusing Walden of last year.

mission
09-15-2012, 10:37 AM
I agree with you on some of the plays - they got out-schemed by SF. But he's made some unforced errors of his own. Nothing serious, nothing that can't be 'fixed.' I can only speak for myself, but I see a lot of potential there; way too early to make long term proclamations. But the Packers did want him to be good enough to start in place of the post-GF abusing Walden of last year.

I want a lot of things too!
It's not like he was a top 10 pick. Looks the part to me... like a talented rookie not quite fully up to speed. That's what you get outside of the top 10-15 in the draft.

KYPack
09-15-2012, 10:38 AM

You guys are reaching.

Disagree, Mish. It's easy to be critical on a kid LB making his first NFL start, but most of the criticism in Perry's case is 100% warranted. He had one of the worst games I've seen a Pack lb have. He was worse than Popp ever was making his tranisition. I do agree he was put in situations in which he wasn't going to be successful, but he also made a whole pile of mistakes that really hurt the ball club. His play on the Gore TD was enough to earn him a spot on the pine.

His pass rush method is strictly a bull rush. Sometimes he takes the bull rush wide and thats what passes for his edge rush. That's it, no rips, swims or spin moves, he just bores straight ahead.

He'll be spotted in some situations until he can learn the ropes. He's got some physical attributes, but it's still a toss-up whether he'll ever be more than that.

mission
09-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Disagree, Mish. It's easy to be critical on a kid LB making his first NFL start, but most of the criticism in Perry's case is 100% warranted. He had one of the worst games I've seen a Pack lb have. He was worse than Popp ever was making his tranisition. I do agree he was put in situations in which he wasn't going to be successful, but he also made a whole pile of mistakes that really hurt the ball club. His play on the Gore TD was enough to earn him a spot on the pine.

His pass rush method is strictly a bull rush. Sometimes he takes the bull rush wide and thats what passes for his edge rush. That's it, no rips, swims or spin moves, he just bores straight ahead.

He'll be spotted in some situations until he can learn the ropes. He's got some physical attributes, but it's still a toss-up whether he'll ever be more than that.

And that's the reason I feel fine with him. Coming out of college, the knock on him was that he didn't bull rush and didn't play to his strength. So IMO, he obviously has more in his arsenal and coaches have him going back to basics and developing that strong side OLB they need out of him. Something is working if they already have 11 sacks on the year. Clay and Perry are completely different style'd players.
Sure, he contributed to a long TD, but I also remember him staying home on something outside on a 3rd down and making and athletic play. Definitely did not see that in the KC game last year from Walden on the same play.

Easy to nit pick that first game for everyone. I'm just not putting too much into it. Get in Thursday night's scheme with the same personnel groupings and we're having a completely different conversation. Environment means everything.

mraynrand
09-15-2012, 10:43 AM
KY Pack:
http://media.scout.com/Media/NFL/53_Jamal-Reynolds4.JPG

I don't like the way your views are heading! :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2012, 10:46 AM
thread jacking:

speaking of highly drafted rookie linebackers called on to start: whatever happened to Clay Matthews' brother?

Pugger
09-15-2012, 11:06 AM
thread jacking:

speaking of highly drafted rookie linebackers called on to start: whatever happened to Clay Matthews' brother?

Casey is on the Eagles' roster but I don't know if he's starting or not.

I think a lot of us are being rather harsh on Perry. We have to remember he's playing a new position from what he played in college. I am not ready to throw him under the bus after 2 professional games.

denverYooper
09-15-2012, 11:13 AM

Sincerely, Wist

I see what you did there.

denverYooper
09-15-2012, 11:36 AM
And that's the reason I feel fine with him. Coming out of college, the knock on him was that he didn't bull rush and didn't play to his strength. So IMO, he obviously has more in his arsenal and coaches have him going back to basics and developing that strong side OLB they need out of him. Something is working if they already have 11 sacks on the year. Clay and Perry are completely different style'd players.
Sure, he contributed to a long TD, but I also remember him staying home on something outside on a 3rd down and making and athletic play. Definitely did not see that in the KC game last year from Walden on the same play.

Easy to nit pick that first game for everyone. I'm just not putting too much into it. Get in Thursday night's scheme with the same personnel groupings and we're having a completely different conversation. Environment means everything.

Isn't a big part of Perry's gig in that Capers D to slam into the Tackle on the strong side?

pbmax
09-15-2012, 11:37 AM
And that's the reason I feel fine with him. Coming out of college, the knock on him was that he didn't bull rush and didn't play to his strength. So IMO, he obviously has more in his arsenal and coaches have him going back to basics and developing that strong side OLB they need out of him.

That's a good point. In fact, his bull rush is so effective, I wonder how that came to be absent from his game at USC.

Perhaps he had trouble stringing moves together and they wanted that particular move from him. If that is the problem, then its going to take an adjustment and learning curve from him to change that part of his game. I hope to see some signs of that this year. That would be enough for me. He is strong enough to hold the edge on contain.

He started only one year at USC and came out a year early. Matthews had a year of college on him and in his rookie season he a mediocre bull rush and a great outside dip, plus a non-stop motor. If Perry can make one addition to his game, that might be all he needs for the rookie campaign to be a breakthrough.

pbmax
09-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Isn't a big part of Perry's gig in that Capers D to slam into the Tackle on the strong side?

Yes. But then he needs to disengage and get to the ball/QB.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2012, 11:40 AM
I know what I saw, and I saw him get a few pressures late in the game. However, he did it, he did it. And the stats from Pro Football Focus confirm what my eyes saw (3 hurries in 20 snaps). That's solid production. I'm pretty sure he was the one to draw the holding call on the near Smith interception late in the game.

KYPack
09-15-2012, 11:49 AM
KY Pack:
http://media.scout.com/Media/NFL/53_Jamal-Reynolds4.JPG

I don't like the way your views are heading! :lol:

Yeah, I was thinking of him or Jeremy Thompson.

It's too early to condemn the kid to hell, for sure.

20 snaps and he did a little something on 3 of 'em?

Sure, that's fine. He's much too limited for 50 - 60 snaps, spot him here and there and let's get him going.

Brandon494
09-15-2012, 06:06 PM

You guys are reaching.

Whats new? :whist:

Pugger
09-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Didn't Perry injure his wrist against SF on Sunday?

Lurker64
09-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Perry was always an upside pick. It was TT saying "I trust that this kid is willing and able to learn, and I trust my coaches to mold him into the player he can be." The Packers coaches are pretty good coaches, but they're not miracle workers. The Perry we saw towards the end of the preseason had come so far from a player who had literally never played in space before that it looked like Kevin Green was a miracle worker, but even so he wasn't close to "NFL starting caliber OLB".

Give it time, he should play more as the season goes on, and can still be useful in spots.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2012, 08:13 PM
Takeaways. Perry played poorly last week. Walden wasn't available. Walden played more this week, but some of that had to do with a wrist injury to Perry. Both were productive on Thursday (including 3 hurries in 15 pass rushes for Perry). Pretty much all things that have been said before on this site.

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20120915/PKR01/120915025/OLB-Erik-Walden-rolls-back-into-Green-Bay-Packers-rotation?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

According to Pro Football Focus, it was one of the more suspect Week 1 performances from any 3-4 outside linebacker in the league, but that wasn’t why Walden cut into his playing time on Thursday, beginning on the defense’s second series.

Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers said Friday that Perry suffered a wrist injury against the 49ers that lingered through the shortened practice week and forced him to wear a protector...

In the early going, Perry has shown a staunch bull rush that can cause opposing tackles fits, but he’s also been shaky at times in coverage.

The 26-year-old Walden isn’t nearly as flashy, but is hungry...

On Thursday, both players had their moments with Perry producing three quarterback hurries from the left side in 15 pass-rushing snaps and Walden being credited with a shared sack with Matthews in the first quarter.

Later, Walden brought heavy pressure on Bears quarterback Jay Cutler to force an errant throw that led to a Charles Woodson interception.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Did Jamal Reynolds ever have more than 1 hurry in 15 pass rush attempts?
:)

KYPack
09-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Did Jamal Reynolds ever have more than 1 hurry in 15 pass rush attempts?
:)

I believe Jamal's lifetime achievement consisted of getting out of his stance a few times.

pbmax
09-15-2012, 09:31 PM
I believe Jamal's lifetime achievement consisted of getting out of his stance a few times.

Rarely have seen someone line up with starters who looked less ready to play in the NFL. He belonged on an expansion team.

I just hope McCarthy isn't just blowing smoke and Perry at least rotates in to develop if he doesn't claim the job.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2012, 10:16 PM
To be fair, I think there's validity to what KY is saying. Perry can't cover right now, and I'm not sure he ever will be able to. He's pretty stiff. However, he's a pretty good pass rusher right now. I just rewatched the game, and in the two series that he played in the 4th quarter he had at least 3 three pressures. I actually counted 4. On the series that starts at 9:14, he used a speed rush around the corner on first down and met Matthews at the QB--resulting in a near interception. On second down he was double-teamed by two OL. He didn't quit on the play though, and got mild pressure. (I wouldn't count it as a pressure though). On third down he used a speed rush around the corner again and provided pressure--which forced Cutler to step up into the pocket. In the Bears last series, he again used a speed rush to get around the corner and got a pressure on an early down. On McMillian's interception, he was the one who got pressure on Cutler that forced the poor throw. I think that was more of a bull rush. It's clear the guy can get after the QB--even as a rookie. His bull rush is legit and he has surprising speed around the edge. I'd say he has two above average pass rush moves already. He just isn't very flexible in coverage. I'm not sure he ever will be. Fortunately, it looks like Walden has rebounded from his midseason slump from last year, and he looks solid. I feel good in saying that Perry will be quite useful when teams are forced to play from behind against us though. Add Daniels and Worthy and there is hope for this pass rush.

Two interesting things I noticed:

1) There were plays when Raji played LDE and Pickett played NT. That's a change from last year, and it's how they were lined up before last year. I like that. I actually like Pickett at NT and Raji at LDE.
2) The Bears twice chose to double Perry (once with two OL and once with the RT and a RB) and leave Matthews one-on-one.

sharpe1027
09-15-2012, 10:51 PM
I have to agree with KY in some respects. I think he will get rotated, so he won't be getting all the snaps. The main reason is that he limits what Capers can do/call. His pass coverage is non-existent. If they put Walden out there, he has shown to be adequate in coverage.

I disagree that he hasn't shown the ability to get to the QB and hold up against the run. He may not have a sack, but he's due. Most importantly, he is already creating more pressure than any of our OLBers last year (Matthews excluded). Of course, that's not saying much.

pbmax
09-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Two interesting things I noticed:

1) There were plays when Raji played LDE and Pickett played NT. That's a change from last year, and it's how they were lined up before last year. I like that. I actually like Pickett at NT and Raji at LDE.
2) The Bears twice chose to double Perry (once with two OL and once with the RT and a RB) and leave Matthews one-on-one.

I saw Raji at end with Pickett at nose, but did you see a 3 man line or was it a 2-4?

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2012, 12:38 AM
I saw Raji at end with Pickett at nose, but did you see a 3 man line or was it a 2-4?

I didn't look that close. I thought Pickett normally comes off in that 2-4 look? Generally, that look will be Raji with Worthy or Daniels, right? Or even Worthy and Daniels when they want to give Raji a breather.

Smeefers
09-16-2012, 07:39 AM
I just can't figure out why Perry looks so much like a defensive end and not like an olb.

pbmax
09-16-2012, 08:48 AM
I didn't look that close. I thought Pickett normally comes off in that 2-4 look? Generally, that look will be Raji with Worthy or Daniels, right? Or even Worthy and Daniels when they want to give Raji a breather.

Pickett is not there if they fully expect pass. Then its as you describe. But if its an either/or down, he does play in the 2 man line occasionally. When I saw him at nose and Raji on his left (twice I think, both early) I thought it was a 2 man line but neither time did I have enough time to identify the rest of the front seven.

Bretsky
09-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Nick Perry is no Brooks Reed...........but hopefully he'll be at that level someday

Pugger
09-16-2012, 10:05 AM
If any of us thought Perry was gonna set the league on fire in his first 2 games I want some of whatever they are smoking.

mission
09-16-2012, 02:26 PM

That to me is amazing. Didn't know that.
We've been saying for at least a year that we need someone opposite of Matthews to take the attention away and free up the pass rush. Well, we have that. 11 sacks so far this year, 29 in 16 games last year.

mission
09-16-2012, 02:27 PM
If any of us thought Perry was gonna set the league on fire in his first 2 games I want some of whatever they are smoking.

Damn, Pugger, you smoke????!! :lol:

Brandon494
09-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Nick Perry is doing just fine, just like most rookies don't expect him to be an All-Pro coming right out the gate. Look at Bulaga for example, he struggled at first during his rookie season moving from LT to RT but now hes a All-Pro. Just give the guy sometime before we start comparing him to Jamaal Reynolds.

pbmax
09-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Damn, Pugger, you smoke????!! :lol:

Its medicinal!

denverYooper
09-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Nick Perry is doing just fine, just like most rookies don't expect him to be an All-Pro coming right out the gate. Look at Bulaga for example, he struggled at first during his rookie season moving from LT to RT but now hes a All-Pro. Just give the guy sometime before we start comparing him to Jamaal Reynolds.

Not that they are the same, but Von Miller was pulled from a few games last year for playing terribly against the run and being a liability in coverage.

Packers4Glory
09-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Perry should almost never be dropping in coverage. Turn him loose on the QB. Walden looked good from what I saw thursday. he's a nice rotational guy w/ use w/ Perry as Walden has some rush ability. he does nothing exceptionally, except own the bears.

Smeefers
09-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Perry should almost never be dropping in coverage. Turn him loose on the QB. Walden looked good from what I saw thursday. he's a nice rotational guy w/ use w/ Perry as Walden has some rush ability. he does nothing exceptionally, except own the bears.

That would be disasterous in the 3-4 scheme. both your OLB's need to cover. If you never have Perry drop into coverage, then a majority of the time you're going to have Mathews dropping into coverage. Not a good plan. The dude needs to either get better in coverage or get benched.

rbaloha1
09-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Lets not forget the hand injury.

Perry walks blockers into the backfield which disrupts the pocket. Sometime this season NP shall have a Clay Matthews moment.

George Cumby
09-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Are people seriously busting on a rookie after two games and comparing him unfavorably to Pops and Jamal Fucking-A Reynolds?

The kid is pressing the pocket and setting the edge. Yes he's fucked up. He's a young rook and came out a year early to boot. Give him some time; he's right on track. Mental errors but some real physical tools.

Sheesh.

pbmax
09-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Are people seriously busting on a rookie after two games and comparing him unfavorably to Pops and Jamal Fucking-A Reynolds?

The kid is pressing the pocket and setting the edge. Yes he's fucked up. He's a young rook and came out a year early to boot. Give him some time; he's right on track. Mental errors but some real physical tools.

Sheesh.

That was last week, but yes. However this week we are covering our ass.

George Cumby
09-16-2012, 10:27 PM
That was last week, but yes. However this week we are covering our ass.

LOL!

Packers4Glory
09-17-2012, 08:23 AM
on obvious passing downs I'd love to see Perry w/ his hand in the dirt on the line.

Pugger
09-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Lets not forget the hand injury.

Perry walks blockers into the backfield which disrupts the pocket. Sometime this season NP shall have a Clay Matthews moment.

Didn't he in his first preseason game? His presence is probably what is giving Clay all of his success.

rbaloha1
09-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Didn't he in his first preseason game? His presence is probably what is giving Clay all of his success.

It does not hurt. Sacks are important but opposing qb rating is a better indicator of winning vs. losing. Pressures and qb hits are also very important.

Guiness
09-17-2012, 03:58 PM

Not true. On many occasions I saw him sprint by the QB and continue 15 yards upfield, the wind blowing in his hair.

Ok, that last part was not true. He didn't have hair. My question is, is this http://www.jamalreynolds.com/ him?

mraynrand
09-17-2012, 06:17 PM

I'm pretty sure it was animal dung. Have at it:

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2011/11/10/li-cookstove-3581207.jpg

Patler
09-17-2012, 06:20 PM
My question is, is this http://www.jamalreynolds.com/ him?

It looks like him, aged a decade or so.

Guiness
09-17-2012, 07:51 PM
It looks like him, aged a decade or so.

Thought so, looking at the nose, smile and eyebrows.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/fsu/sports/m-footbl/99roster/p-reynolds.jpg

http://media.scout.com/media/image/72/728840.jpg

http://www.jamalreynolds.com/images/IMG_1101edit.jpg

Ok, I officially feel like a stalker now.

Fritz
09-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Okay, his head looks like my daughter's Barbie Doll heads when I'd squish 'em in a vise.

smuggler
09-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Perry is way more physical than Reynolds. At worst, Perry can be a nice rotational guy. Reynolds never showed so much as a poo.

Fritz
09-20-2012, 12:12 PM
It's early, with Perry. Right now he's raw, but we'll see how good a learner he is as the season goes on.

For now, it's Walden's spot, with Perry being inserted in specific situations.

Is Walden playing pretty well?

run pMc
09-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Way too early to call him Jamal 2.0.
He's talented, green, and dinged up.
Let's see if he makes any progress from pre-season to mid-season to end-of-season first.

IMO the bull rush actually helps the other rushers by keeping the QB in the pocket and forces him to step up...presumably into Raji, Worthy, or Daniels. I'd be satisfied if he tallies 5-6 sacks and helps CM3 reach double figures. Sacks aside, anything that improves the pass defense is welcomed. Last year was awful.

Would be nice to see him learn another pass rush move and improve in coverage, but that might be a lot to ask in Year 1.

Fritz
09-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Agreed. It's rather on the early side to label Perry. And in my opinion, same for Sherrod.

mmmdk
09-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Some day Perry will show us all and he shall be known as 'Agent P'.

mission
09-21-2012, 07:22 PM
You guys are talking like he's playing like a bust, but it's just too early to say that he is one. Come on! He's playing exactly where he's slotted. Making some nice plays, mis-matched in other areas. Shows the physical traits. Game doesn't look too big for him. I can't say he's exceeded any expectations but he's hardly below them... don't get "hopes" confused with "expectations".

Your expectations are based on the storyline that Perry would be our starting OLB this season. How bad was the production from the spot last year? Of course, we expected Perry to start. It's understandable to see Walden make a big leap after clearing up his personal life and essentially sending his family away so he could focus on football/providing. He's really playing well and you can see he's hungry. The fact that Clay now looks like Clay is enough for me to feel that's the the expectation for this season. The last time that happened we won a Super Bowl.

If Perry is pushing RTs back all season so Clay can put up 19 sacks and he only gets 4 himself, then I'm completely OK with that and excited to see what he can do in a second season where he's better and playing a larger % of the snaps.

George Cumby
09-21-2012, 08:32 PM
You guys are talking like he's playing like a bust, but it's just too early to say that he is one. Come on! He's playing exactly where he's slotted. Making some nice plays, mis-matched in other areas. Shows the physical traits. Game doesn't look too big for him. I can't say he's exceeded any expectations but he's hardly below them... don't get "hopes" confused with "expectations".

Your expectations are based on the storyline that Perry would be our starting OLB this season. How bad was the production from the spot last year? Of course, we expected Perry to start. It's understandable to see Walden make a big leap after clearing up his personal life and essentially sending his family away so he could focus on football/providing. He's really playing well and you can see he's hungry. The fact that Clay now looks like Clay is enough for me to feel that's the the expectation for this season. The last time that happened we won a Super Bowl.

If Perry is pushing RTs back all season so Clay can put up 19 sacks and he only gets 4 himself, then I'm completely OK with that and excited to see what he can do in a second season where he's better and playing a larger % of the snaps.

Fuckin' A.

Repped.

Smidgeon
09-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Fuckin' A.

Repped.

Repped for the repping.

KYPack
09-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Credit where credit is due.

Kid had a great game and has improved. They crafted a game plan that schemed him right and he responded very well.

He had a bad game against SF, but that team is strong on their OLine.

They have to stay sharp in their planning with him because teams will try to ISO on him, but he's got a ton of talent and looks like he'll be a good hand out there.

He showing development a lot quicker than I thought he would.

Patler
09-25-2012, 09:41 AM

Kid had a great game and has improved. They crafted a game plan that schemed him right and he responded very well.

They have to stay sharp in their planning with him because teams will try to ISO on him, but he's got a ton of talent and looks like he'll be a good hand out there.

I agree, and I don't mean this as a knock on his play last night at all, but seeing him in the backfield chasing the QB really makes you appreciate how freakishly quick and athletic Matthews is. While Perry showed good speed and lots of other things, he is not Matthews II, and that isn't a complaint against Perry.

Zool
09-25-2012, 09:51 AM

He's still quite bad at stepping out and covering TE's but hopefully that's something he can learn to be at least adequate at doing. He played a good game lastnight.