PDA

View Full Version : possible shit-storm for finley...

gbgary
09-17-2012, 10:07 AM
his agent, blake baratz, tweeted "arod is great qb he isn't a great leader. leaders take the blame & make every1 better. he doesn't."

he's not doing his client any favors with this.

rbaloha1
09-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Why does his agent tweet this stuff? Already signed a big deal.

Cover up for drops?

denverYooper
09-17-2012, 10:31 AM
https://twitter.com/the_ifa/status/246658570102398976

denverYooper
09-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Just looking at his twitter page, he's pretty opinionated.

Packers4Glory
09-17-2012, 10:35 AM
time for a new agent.

denverYooper
09-17-2012, 10:36 AM
He also had this (https://twitter.com/the_ifa/status/246649505565507584)to say as part of that:

There's a major difference & drop off in leadership from Manning, Brees, Brady, to the next best QB's in the league. Cutler doesn't get it

Funny, I've seen Brady and Manning both berate teammates.

mraynrand
09-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Gotta make a name for yourself, any way you can!

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2009/05/drew514.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51psAPssW9L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

cheesner
09-17-2012, 10:42 AM
He also had this (https://twitter.com/the_ifa/status/246649505565507584)to say as part of that:

Funny, I've seen Brady and Manning both berate teammates.

They are poor leaders also. Along with Cutler.

A good leader is one who never berates a team mate. Like Ed Robbins,
Was with san Diego but got cut on first cutdownn in 2008. That guy was an awesome leader.

Patler
09-17-2012, 11:11 AM
I wonder which Manning he was referring to?

After a playoff loss a few years ago, in his post game press conference, after having had time to cool down, Peyton Manning blamed his O-line for the loss. Commented about the offense being stuck if the linemen can't block anybody, and that they didn't block anyone all game. That's a much bigger betrayal than an instantaneous emotional response like Rodgers and Cutler had.

Cheesehead Craig
09-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Sports agents commenting on what makes a good leader? Really?

Next we'll start hearing from the French about what a good army should look like.

Kiwon
09-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Blake Baratz‏@the_ifa

@mbeemsterboer @packersfanmike @prime63 ARod knows that offense and has the ability to check in and out of anything. It's on him

Blake Baratz‏@the_ifa

@tonymission my opinion has nothing 2 do w Jermichael. I simply stated that there's a major diff b/t Manning/Brees/Brady & Arod as leaders

An agent wants to talk about leadership? You know how many scumballs are in your profession, idiot?

This guy's full of himself and he wants to populate his Twitter account with hundreds of tweets to prove the point.

George Cumby
09-17-2012, 11:57 AM
"@tonymission my opinion has nothing 2 do w Jermichael. I simply stated that there's a major diff b/t Manning/Brees/Brady & Arod as leaders"

What you say to him, Mish? Way to go!

This guy's a fucking tool. It's pretty clear that ARod is a very good to great leader. Just watch the non-verbals of his team-mates during games on the field and on the side-lines. The team likes and respects him and acknowledges him as one of the Team's Leaders.

"Protect the Franchise!"

Joemailman
09-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Yikes. The last thing Finley needs is this clown giving him career advice, which is a part of what an agent does.

Kiwon
09-17-2012, 12:10 PM
This is getting good...

Harry Sydney‏@sydsyd0613

@the_ifa since you've already shared your opinion of Rodgers, how about your opinion of Finley's career so far?

Blake Baratz‏@the_ifa

@sydsyd0613 In what capacity? There's years of life experiences that will make it impossible to cover 4 u. Up & downs, but always improving

Harry Sydney‏@sydsyd0613

@the_ifa I'm only concerned with his play on the field. Has he lived up to his potential in your eyes?

Blake Baratz‏@the_ifa

(pt2) @sydsyd0613 b reached. @JermichaelF88 wants 2 b the best, period. So to himself they clearly have not been met, that's what matters

Zool
09-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Maybe his agent should advise him against buttered popcorn and Vaseline as his snacks during the game. Football dropping ass bandit.

Also as a note to the entire team, stop complaining to the refs after every single pass. The refs suck, granted, but STFU already.

Kiwon
09-17-2012, 12:17 PM
I get to play too....

Kiwon@HanKiwon

@the_ifa An agent wants to lecture about leadership while criticizing the league's MVP....on Twitter no less? That'll draw in new clients.

Blake Baratz‏@the_ifa

@HanKiwon Funny how u pick out the negative, when I also said he's the best Qb in football. That was my opinion sir, ur entitled to ur own

Pugger
09-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Maybe Finley's problems stem from having this moron advising him. I wonder what Finley will now say about this?

Kiwon
09-17-2012, 12:26 PM
ZING......... No worries, Finley will be okay. His problem is mental ACCORDING TO HIS AGENT!!! Open mouth, insert foot.....

Harry Sydney‏@sydsyd0613

@the_ifa so what your saying is no. With his size/skill set he should be dominant. Yet he is not. Why? Heart? Mind? #underachiever

Blake Baratz‏@the_ifa

@sydsyd0613 Again, my opinion, but I don't believe its anything physical. Sports r as much mental as physical,ask Tiger Woods. J will b fine

denverYooper
09-17-2012, 12:33 PM
This is sort of interesting. It seems as though Blake could be starting to construct a narrative for Finley's mistakes, drops, etc, because at this point those are routine for him. It really makes me wonder if he's just laying the groundwork to excuse Finley's at times lackadaisical play for the next go-round of marketing his client. If that's the case, then, well, I suppose that's his job to sow those seeds.

Still, it does make me wonder if he's just looking out for his product or if this is some of the real discussion that takes place between he and Fin.

denverYooper
09-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Maybe his agent should advise him against buttered popcorn and Vaseline as his snacks during the game. Football dropping ass bandit.

Also as a note to the entire team, stop complaining to the refs after every single pass. The refs suck, granted, but STFU already.

I feel like that's been going on a lot more across the league with the replacement refs. Guys are testing them to see if they can sway them.

Fritz
09-17-2012, 12:58 PM
This is sort of interesting. It seems as though Blake could be starting to construct a narrative for Finley's mistakes, drops, etc, because at this point those are routine for him. It really makes me wonder if he's just laying the groundwork to excuse Finley's at times lackadaisical play for the next go-round of marketing his client. If that's the case, then, well, I suppose that's his job to sow those seeds.

Still, it does make me wonder if he's just looking out for his product or if this is some of the real discussion that takes place between he and Fin.

Did somebody say blake baratz?

I did a little research on this guy:

http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/sites/misc/img/19847__42187482_bling300.jpg

Freak Out
09-17-2012, 12:59 PM
The Refs suck...period. Hell...they pulled one because he was a homer? Jesus NFL...get that deal done and get the real Refs back out there.

Ok...who cares what his agent says? What has Big Fin said? They both need to step it up this year. :)

pbmax
09-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Fantastic job everyone. It must be Rodgers job to remind Finley that he might need to concentrate on running the route correctly, whether it makes it mechanical for him or not.

But why are all the beat writers ignoring this? Or did I miss it? There is nothing in my feed about this.

pbmax
09-17-2012, 01:10 PM
This is too bad because something (probably far more than one thing) is going on with that offense. But we aren't going to find out this week.

Upnorth
09-17-2012, 01:18 PM
This almost makes me want to sign up with twitter.

Good work guys. Hold his feet to the fire.

denverYooper
09-17-2012, 01:18 PM
This is too bad because something (probably far more than one thing) is going on with that offense. But we aren't going to find out this week.

My guess for that would be:
1.) No more Philbin, and his departure meant a few coaching moves.
2.) New center
3.) Jennings availability is starting to be an issue
4.) They now have a workhorse back and are still figuring out how to use him.
5.) Opponent

pbmax
09-17-2012, 01:24 PM
2.) New center
5.) Opponent

I am going with the incidental but undeniable O Coordinator not upstairs in booth. How can he see anything with all those tall people around?

Fritz
09-17-2012, 01:28 PM
It's hard to watch the ball into your hands when you have your head up your butt.

denverYooper
09-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Fantastic job everyone. It must be Rodgers job to remind Finley that he might need to concentrate on running the route correctly, whether it makes it mechanical for him or not.

But why are all the beat writers ignoring this? Or did I miss it? There is nothing in my feed about this.

I don't think beat writers write much about what players' agents tweet. At least, not that I can recall.

pbmax
09-17-2012, 01:43 PM
I don't think beat writers write much about what players' agents tweet. At least, not that I can recall.

Not sure about that. Wilde RTs agent stuff all the time. Of course, it might be Tweeted AT him first.

When I quit Twitter it will not be because of the service or API, advertising model or service outages, it will be because I get tired of using Tweet as a verb.

Patler
09-17-2012, 01:53 PM

2.) New center
5.) Opponent

Maybe there is nothing really "wrong" with the offense. Maybe it is just under performing, and nothing has to be changed, time will take care of it.

We all (myself included) seem to think Rodgers is "off", yet he has completed 68% of his passes, and has a QB rating through these two games that is higher than his predecessors career average.

mraynrand
09-17-2012, 02:11 PM
I think I will make it a self-imposed policy to never again comment on what an agent says.

There is nothing wrong with the offense really. We're just used to a QB that ran a rating of 122 last year. Rodgers was putting the ball right in the receiver's hands 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards downfield. It was insane accuracy. They hit all of the same things these past two games and they not only win, but crush the Bears and probably win that 49er game. Teams have had all off season to scout the Packers and counter their offense. They are selling out against the pass, and specifically guarding against big plays. No wonder the Packers haven't had a lot of big plays.

Even so, I note that Ponder has a better rating right now than Rodgers. But, given that half his passes - or more - are at the LOS, it's hardly any wonder. The Vikings have NO vertical passing game - at ALL. They have no receivers, and have pedestrian TEs. Their offense is Peterman, Gearhead, and Favren. But Ponder right now is 'better' than Rodgers, based on passer rating. LOL. Seriously, LOL.

red
09-17-2012, 02:29 PM
its time to drop finley IMO

can't count on him, he's clearly not improving, and now people associated with him are stirring shit

send him somewhere else

Joemailman
09-17-2012, 02:43 PM
I think there's as good a chance that Jennings will be a Packer in 2014 as there is that Finley will be. They will franchise Jennings in 2013 if necessary. One of those guys will get a contract extension in 2014, but not both.

pbmax
09-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Of course its only two games and against very good defenses, so every caveat we can think of could apply. But Rodgers at 68% completions rate is not producing yards at the same rate as previous years (and not just compared to 2011). His yards per attempt is at 6.9, off a career average of 8.2 and last years 9.2

So whatever has been happening since the Chiefs game has continued to happen, even when Jennings was available. This year, its just over a half yard worse than his worst season number. Its probably related to the good defenses they have faced. But there is enough variability between the Chiefs, Giants, 49ers and Bears defense that I think something is happening with the offense, rather than to the offense.

Joemailman
09-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Of course its only two games and against very good defenses, so every caveat we can think of could apply. But Rodgers at 68% completions rate is not producing yards at the same rate as previous years (and not just compared to 2011). His yards per attempt is at 6.9, off a career average of 8.2 and last years 9.2

So whatever has been happening since the Chiefs game has continued to happen, even when Jennings was available. This year, its just over a half yard worse than his worst season number. Its probably related to the good defenses they have faced. But there is enough variability between the Chiefs, Giants, 49ers and Bears defense that I think something is happening with the offense, rather than to the offense.

There is one constant with those 4 defenses. Those are 4 of the best defenses when it comes to applying pressure on the QB without blitzing a lot. Rodgers murders blitzes, but sometimes gets inpatient when defenses play deep coverage and force him to take the short stuff.

denverYooper
09-17-2012, 03:32 PM

They have missed on multiple longer plays (3? to Jones + 1 to Jordy in the Niners game, 1 to Finley in the Bears that I can think of) where hitting 1 of those might add a pretty good chunk right now given the low number of attempts to this point (76). Hitting that ball to Jordy, something we've seen a lot, adds another 0.6 ypa.

denverYooper
09-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Maybe there is nothing really "wrong" with the offense. Maybe it is just under performing, and nothing has to be changed, time will take care of it.

We all (myself included) seem to think Rodgers is "off", yet he has completed 68% of his passes, and has a QB rating through these two games that is higher than his predecessors career average.

I actually think that this will turn out to be close to the truth. They will very likely hit a stretch where it looks like they can just roll through anything. Hopefully that ends up being at the end of the season...

Funny, I remember them struggling a lot in mid-2010 and it seems like they're still performing better than they were back then even though YPA and rating don't yet bear that out. But it seems like that season was one of crushing the weak teams and then struggling a lot against good and middling teams.

channtheman
09-17-2012, 04:12 PM
In regards to Finley's agent... What do he supposed to say?

Brandon494
09-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Sigh...here we go again.

Honestly who gives a F what Finley agent thinks? I know one person that doesn't and thats ARod.

Brandon494
09-17-2012, 04:27 PM
its time to drop Hawk IMO

can't count on him, he's clearly not improving, and now people associated with him are eating shit

send him somewhere else

fixed!

denverYooper
09-17-2012, 04:37 PM

They hit a 4 game stretch in mid 2010 where Rodgers rating (ypa) were: 75.7(5.83), 84.5(9.48), 84.8(8.68), 59.7(5.00). He had 4 TDs and 4 picks. After that, the passing O went through the roof for a bit with dips against Detroit and Chicago.

ThunderDan
09-17-2012, 04:42 PM
fixed!

That is so dumb.

AJ hawk has 19 tackles so far and is tied for 9th in the NFL. He is on pace for 152 tackles which would outpace Bishops team leading 115 a year ago.

We know you hate Hawk!

Zool
09-17-2012, 04:47 PM
That is so dumb.

AJ hawk has 19 tackles so far and is tied for 9th in the NFL. He is on pace for 152 tackles which would outpace Bishops team leading 115 a year ago.

We know you hate Hawk!

In Brandons defense, Hawk was awful last season.

Joemailman
09-17-2012, 04:50 PM
fixed!

Probably not a good time to bash Hawk instead of Finley. Hawk has played very well. Finley has 73 yards receiving with 2 blatant drops and 1 lost fumble. It's Finley right now who has to pick up his production to justify his contract.

Brandon494
09-17-2012, 04:51 PM
That is so dumb.

We know you hate Hawk!

Speaking of dumb it was a joke! Hint the part about "and now people associated with him are eating shit"

Oh yea BTW who cares it he has 19 tackles, he a MLB! They are suppose to lead the team in tackles. How many impact plays does he have? Because I'm pretty sure Bishop had as many forced fumbles last season as Hawk has had in his whole career.

red
09-17-2012, 05:23 PM
fixed!
Racist ashole lol

Hawk does lok like a whole new player thisnyear

Pugger
09-17-2012, 06:14 PM
its time to drop finley IMO

can't count on him, he's clearly not improving, and now people associated with him are stirring shit

send him somewhere else

And replace him with whom, Crabtree?

Before you say yes Tom is not as fast as Finley and has dropped his share of passes in the past too.

gbgary
09-17-2012, 06:39 PM
well...fin's got involved in the tweeting. he's getting some brutal treatment but to his credit he's taking the high road and being very positive. i'll bet he has a word or two with his agent. this was all so needless. he's had a day of hell for something he didn't have anything to do with. so much for keeping his head right.

King Friday
09-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Football dropping ass bandit.

FDAB > YOTTO

sharpe1027
09-17-2012, 07:23 PM
He's a Packer so I want him to do well. I hope he straightens things out. The Packer's don't need him to be the best TE in football. They need him to be reliable first and a threat second.

IMO, the biggest problem is not A-rod, Finley or any of the WRs. The biggest problem is that defenses are sitting back sticking out their tongues and saying "nayner nayner you can't run even against a soft cover 2." It is time to start running the ball somewhat effectively, or to do the equivalent through short passing.

Bretsky
09-17-2012, 07:34 PM
In regards to Finley's agent... What do he supposed to say?

Being an agent, he is suppose to say NOTHING when it comes to stirring the pot

rbaloha1
09-17-2012, 07:41 PM
How does a Finely thread turn into a Hawk thread?

There are other threads to bash Hawk.

Joemailman
09-17-2012, 08:05 PM

Brandon shows up. :D

Brandon494
09-17-2012, 08:06 PM

There are other threads to bash Hawk.

What do I suppose to say?

mission
09-17-2012, 09:47 PM
I didn't really say anything that wasn't kind of douchey. Don't think I had my coffee yet when I saw that in the morning. Think that's why he replied to me... it hadn't really blown up yet. Gotta love twitter.

@the_ifa so if Finley started catching the ball would that be because Rodgers made him better? If only Rodgers was a leader.
@the_ifa but those comments are probably best left for others in a different situation. you need to feed your clients the right mentality
@CourtFinley88 your man's agent is going around saying Rodgers isn't a leader. I'm sure this will end well. What do you think?

well...fin's got involved in the tweeting. he's getting some brutal treatment but to his credit he's taking the high road and being very positive. i'll bet he has a word or two with his agent. this was all so needless. he's had a day of hell for something he didn't have anything to do with. so much for keeping his head right.

Exactly.

George Cumby
09-17-2012, 10:57 PM
I didn't really say anything that wasn't kind of douchey. Don't think I had my coffee yet when I saw that in the morning. Think that's why he replied to me... it hadn't really blown up yet. Gotta love twitter.

@the_ifa so if Finley started catching the ball would that be because Rodgers made him better? If only Rodgers was a leader.
@the_ifa but those comments are probably best left for others in a different situation. you need to feed your clients the right mentality
@CourtFinley88 your man's agent is going around saying Rodgers isn't a leader. I'm sure this will end well. What do you think?

Exactly.
[/B]

Maybe I need more coffee. Was what you said:

A) Douchey
B) Non-douchey

mission
09-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Maybe I need more coffee. Was what you said:

A) Douchey
B) Non-douchey

I need sleep at this point and get a little random, but I believe that means I was a douchebag in my response. I'm much more of a math guy... proved that with my writing for years here. :lol:

pbmax
09-18-2012, 12:04 AM
I tried to get Wilde to go hog wild with this and he wouldn't, insisting that to do so would be sensationalizing it. Perplexed, went back to read entire Twitter thread (about that topic).

If you view it strictly through the prism of telling off your receiver/teammate while on the field and on TV, you can see his point and the comparison he is drawing between Cutler and Rodgers. However, there are two problems with this view.

1. He lists Manning, Brees and Brady as leaders who would not do such a thing. And that is a fine line to draw. Manning has thrown everyone on his offense under the bus at one point or another and he is famously short tempered about receiver mistakes and works them feverishly. Brady has had several run ins with WRs but all that I remember were on the bench. I don't think its an easy case to make that one method is better leadership than the other.

2. The comparison to Cutler, who has had several run ins with teammates who don't think he has what it takes to lead a team. Contrasted with Rodgers winning over a team that belonged to a future Hall of Famer, there really isn't a comparison.

3. The entire thing read as a defense of Finley. And it especially read as a defense of Finley when he claimed Rodgers had total control of the offense and could change any play to something else. As if the run of offensive struggles should be blamed on the QB

If Baratz had said he preferred, or thought it more efficacious, to be a leader who did not embarrass teammates on the field, it would be hard to argue. Even the Packers coaches had to get Rodgers to change his body language and attitude when frustrated.

But he didn't say that, he said he wasn't a great leader like some other QBs. There is much more evidence of Rodgers leadership than lack thereof. And there is much more evidence of Finley struggling to produce than there is for Rodgers not calling the right plays.

George Cumby
09-18-2012, 07:32 AM
I need sleep at this point and get a little random, but I believe that means I was a douchebag in my response. I'm much more of a math guy... proved that with my writing for years here. :lol:

Gothch'.

I thank you for being a douchebag to the real Douchebag.

Teamcheez1
09-18-2012, 07:36 AM
This thread just shows me how useless twitter is.

George Cumby
09-18-2012, 07:37 AM
So Hawk was drafted in 2006, Finley in 2008.

Hawk's 7th year in the league, Finley's 5th.

At this time, they are what they are and are probably not going to get much better.

Hawk is pedestrian with some leadership skills (so we are told), Finley is wonderfully talented but can't get the mental part of the game down.

Time to upgrade both. Hawk for someone a little more dynamic. Finley for someone perhaps less talented but who can hold onto the ball.

Easier said than done. It takes time.

But Williams and Manning might be the answers on the roster.

Packers4Glory
09-18-2012, 07:48 AM
If I'm a player in general I don't want my agent popping off about one of my teammates.

If I'm a WR/TE I really really don't want my agent popping off about my QB. Time to get a new agent. How is that helpful in anyway to your player? Suppose you have a QB who does get pissed and decides to not look you way as often? I don't want to hear anything about being a pro because they are people first. sometimes personal bias gets in the way. Rodgers doesn't strike me as that type but in general its very bad practice to do what Fin's agent did.

pbmax
09-18-2012, 07:57 AM

Well sure, if you think a trap is something to be avoided.

Patler
09-18-2012, 08:31 AM
How is that helpful in anyway to your player? Suppose you have a QB who does get pissed and decides to not look you way as often? I don't want to hear anything about being a pro because they are people first. sometimes personal bias gets in the way. Rodgers doesn't strike me as that type but in general its very bad practice to do what Fin's agent did.

Well,.... if your client is regretting the deal he signed, and instead thinks he wants to play elsewhere..............

denverYooper
09-18-2012, 08:44 AM

As someone with 2 young kids, it's useful for me. 140 characters is about all I have time to read at once these days.

denverYooper
09-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Well,.... if your client is regretting the deal he signed, and instead thinks he wants to play elsewhere..............

That's my ultimate suspicion in all of this. There's a not small chance that this has stemmed from internal discussions between Finley and his agent. When the cameras caught Rodgers berating Jones, they were provided a prime opportunity to start building their case that Finley's issues are due to other factors. Finley has been on twitter lately too, as noted above, playing the "good guy".

Packers4Glory
09-18-2012, 09:26 AM
well, you have to perform to get a better deal. no GM in the NFL is going to blame your drops and fumbles on your QB's leadership.

denverYooper
09-18-2012, 09:54 AM
well, you have to perform to get a better deal. no GM in the NFL is going to blame your drops and fumbles on your QB's leadership.

Especially not when your QB is the reigning MVP.

But then Finley, God love him, has had problems owning his mistakes in the past.

Kiwon
09-18-2012, 11:19 AM
I get to play too....

Kiwon@HanKiwon

@the_ifa An agent wants to lecture about leadership while criticizing the league's MVP....on Twitter no less? That'll draw in new clients.

Blake Baratz‏@the_ifa

@HanKiwon Funny how u pick out the negative, when I also said he's the best Qb in football. That was my opinion sir, ur entitled to ur own

And now a USA Today writer wants to know what I noted:

"2. Why would a man who makes his living representing NFL players, disparage NFL players publicly?"

Way to go, Blake. Your "opinion" has earned you national scrutiny.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/09/18/green-bay-packers-jermichael-finleys-agent-calls-out-aaron-rodgers-leadership-baratz/70000567/1

Fritz
09-18-2012, 11:31 AM

Well, Matt Millen is no longer in the league, and Al Davis is dead, but there's always Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones!

gbgary
09-18-2012, 12:50 PM

depends on who/what you follow. there are lots of news outlets on twitter. you'll get stuff on twitter before you hear it on the radio or tv.

Brandon494
09-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Twitter is hardly useless if you know how to use it.

Patler
09-18-2012, 01:39 PM

I don't doubt that, but I will admit to my ignorance here. As I read the successive entries in these things, I can't always tell who is making the comment and/or if someone is being addressed directly or referred to. I find the "strings" very confusing.

Is there any hope for me? :???: :cnf:

pbmax
09-18-2012, 02:27 PM
I don't doubt that, but I will admit to my ignorance here. As I read the successive entries in these things, I can't always tell who is making the comment and/or if someone is being addressed directly or referred to. I find the "strings" very confusing.

Is there any hope for me? :???: :cnf:

Reading a thread can be a challenge. Especially with the basic web interface. There always is a mix of posts in a thread to certain users (which you can designate by putting their @handle first in the message), posts that will appear in their timeline (@handle anywhere in message) and posts about subjects (either #marked with a hashtag or not). Because each is displayed differently, you can end up relying on the person you are following to retweet or reply with the message copied so you can follow the back and forth. There is a view conversation if everyone is replying to the same post, but even that can break.

For a single message and reply, its simple. To follow along more than that, its tough reading and it helps to have a third party app.

Cheesehead Craig
09-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Sigh...here we go again.

Honestly who gives a F what Finley agent thinks? I know one person that doesn't and thats ARod.

I think he would to a certain degree. If an agent is out there disparaging ARod, it lessens the chance of a player represented by that agent signing with GB that they may be pursuing and thus preventing talent from coming to GB. A little bit a stretch I realize but still plausible.

Patler
09-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Sigh...here we go again.

I think he would to a certain degree. If an agent is out there disparaging ARod, it lessens the chance of a player represented by that agent signing with GB that they may be pursuing and thus preventing talent from coming to GB. A little bit a stretch I realize but still plausible.

That got me thinking. It has often been said that Rodgers is very cognizant of who says what about him, and he never forgets those who criticize him.

pbmax
09-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Well, learned a small lesson about reporters the last two days. Baratz's comments in and of them self merited only Wilde's brief mention in a story about Rodgers and Cutler after the game (mainly wrapped around Bruschi's comments) and they got a writeup in USAToday.

However, everyone wanted to talk to James Jones in the locker room about the incident and ask him about Baratz's comments indirectly. Jones said Rodgers apologized after Jones told him it was unnecessary, he knew it was his fault. Jones said it was lunacy to question Rodgers leadership and that he loved him.

Not sure if anyone took the agents comments directly to Finley.

So they don't want to run a story if its a step removed from the team and a step removed from those involved. Which is understandable, among other things it would prevent outsiders from hijacking media coverage. But given the way stories break and agents are often sources, I wonder what other hook they need before they will run with a story when no one directly involved on the team will comment. Because that happens frequently.

pbmax
09-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Commencing damage control:

Blake Baratz ‏@blakebaratz
(cont) 4) & lastly, I hope u tune into the Blog because 140 characters is just not enough. Life's too short ppl, gotta relax a bit. #FAMILY

3h Blake Baratz ‏@blakebaratz
(cont) 3) I will always own up 2 my own opinions, I have no reason 2 hide from them, but please always understand, they're mine & mine only

(cont) 2) I understand the power of social media and how it can be taken in & out of context. Again, I will apologize for that

(pt 1) Last comment on Twitter Frenzy: 1) I apologize 2 @jermichaelf88 because he had nothing 2 do w MY comments or opinions.

mraynrand
09-18-2012, 03:21 PM

can you give a tutorial in the Romper Room? Seriously, I'm not on Twit or Facebook. #WTF? @mraynrand - why am I here?

Brandon494
09-18-2012, 03:42 PM
On twitter not only can you follow your favorite players and celebrities but you can also follow guys like Adam Schefter, John Clayton, and other Packers beat writers to get info before they even put them on the main sites. Also you can follow CNN and other sites and get world news as soon as it happens. Its confusing at first but its a nice tool to have once you get the hang of it.

BTW I just deleted my face book account a few days ago, got tired of people posting thousand pictures of their babies clogging up my news feed. That and the fact I spent way too much time on it at work. :-)

mraynrand
09-18-2012, 03:48 PM
BTW I just deleted my face book account a few days ago, got tired of people posting thousand pictures of their babies clogging up my news feed. That and the fact I spent way too much time on it at work. :-)

http://cdn2.mamapop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/crying-baby.jpg

HowardRoark
09-18-2012, 03:57 PM
#WTF? @mraynrand - why am I here?

That's an excellent question!

http://static01.mediaite.com/med/wp-content/uploads/gallery/third-party-where-are-they-now/admiral-stockdale.png

Brandon494
09-18-2012, 03:59 PM
LMAO maybe I should reactivate my account now but I hate cats too. :bang:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/08/unbaby-me-swap-out-facebook-baby-photos/

There are two types of Facebook users: the ones who love (or don’t mind) seeing photos of their friends’ children dominate their Newsfeed and the ones who hate seeing the photos of their friends’ children dominate their Newsfeed.
If you fall into that second camp there is now a solution. Yes, you can now de-baby your Facebook Newsfeed.
It’s called Unbaby.me, and it is an extension for Chrome browsers. Grab the extension here, install it via the Chrome store, and it will automatically sub in a photo of a cat when it sees a post or photo of a baby.

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Technology/ht_unbaby_me_kb_120803_wblog.jpg

denverYooper
09-18-2012, 04:12 PM
I've always heard that cats kill babies.

Patler
09-18-2012, 04:13 PM
can you give a tutorial in the Romper Room? Seriously, I'm not on Twit or Facebook. #WTF? @mraynrand - why am I here?

Can I sign up for the class, or is it private tutoring? Hashtag, I guess (whatever that is) @ something or someone, whatever.

Pugger
09-18-2012, 05:58 PM
I don't twit nor am I on Facebook. These message boards and e-mail is enough for me.

George Cumby
09-18-2012, 07:28 PM
I used to pooh-pooh all that stuff and then Mission did a good break down on how it's useful and not near as lame as I thought it was.

I still don't Twit or FB but don't disparage it out of hand anymore.

MadtownPacker
09-18-2012, 07:38 PM
https://twitter.com/packerrats

Thats the PR one I had registered a while back. PBMax is driving it right now seeing what he can get into. Maybe we can send him on a torpedo mission to Finley's agent?

gbgary
09-18-2012, 07:49 PM
https://twitter.com/packerrats

Thats the PR one I had registered a while back. PBMax is driving it right now seeing what he can get into. Maybe we can send him on a torpedo mission to Finley's agent?

1st follower!

denverYooper
09-18-2012, 08:16 PM
1st follower!

2nd. What's a bappy?

mission
09-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Followed.

Patler -- I would just suggest signing up and following all the beat writers and that sort of thing... search for some interests of yours. Don't necessarily worry about posting and see that it's much more about being an instant aggregate news source for you. Pick all the things you like -- whether that's cooking or pro tennis -- and start building a nice follow list. Hopefully you have a smart phone, so your trips to the toilet will be much more informational. Feel free to follow me @tonymission ;)

Nice thing about it is that all the conversation between people never turns up on your timeline. If I make a tweet that is constructed like '@patler wow did you see the game yesterday?' that goes into your mentions. If I tweet 'Wow that game last night @patler'... because it doesnt start with an @ it shows up on all the timelines of your followers. For that reason, when you follow people, you typically are not subscribing to their banter, just what they deem worthy to push to your timeline (in a way). Obviously if you post a lot of trash then you lose followers... this tends to keep the quality up for those that understand the site because they are trying to accumulate followers. If you post something insightful or funny, people will "retweet" you and essentially push your tweet to all their followers .... and then one of those people might decide you're funny/smart and follow you themselves.

That said, people like my wife are on there and don't tweet anything at all... she just reads all sorts of church stuff on there and follows event calenders. Pretty boring.

Facebook is a joke. They're nothing alike. Facebook is for all my relatives to ask if I'm coming home for Christmas or some old classmate from high school that I never talked to then posting a bunch of game requests and pictures of fireworks.

EDIT -- if that didnt make any sense it's because ive been on cough medicine (no not purple) for two days ... it's not really inebriating but my brain is BLAH-er than normal

Brandon494
09-18-2012, 09:27 PM
4th follower!

Patler
09-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Followed.

Patler -- I would just suggest signing up and following all the beat writers and that sort of thing... search for some interests of yours. Don't necessarily worry about posting and see that it's much more about being an instant aggregate news source for you. Pick all the things you like -- whether that's cooking or pro tennis -- and start building a nice follow list. Hopefully you have a smart phone, so your trips to the toilet will be much more informational. Feel free to follow me @tonymission ;)

Nice thing about it is that all the conversation between people never turns up on your timeline. If I make a tweet that is constructed like '@patler wow did you see the game yesterday?' that goes into your mentions. If I tweet 'Wow that game last night @patler'... because it doesnt start with an @ it shows up on all the timelines of your followers. For that reason, when you follow people, you typically are not subscribing to their banter, just what they deem worthy to push to your timeline (in a way). Obviously if you post a lot of trash then you lose followers... this tends to keep the quality up for those that understand the site because they are trying to accumulate followers. If you post something insightful or funny, people will "retweet" you and essentially push your tweet to all their followers .... and then one of those people might decide you're funny/smart and follow you themselves.

That said, people like my wife are on there and don't tweet anything at all... she just reads all sorts of church stuff on there and follows event calenders. Pretty boring.

Facebook is a joke. They're nothing alike. Facebook is for all my relatives to ask if I'm coming home for Christmas or some old classmate from high school that I never talked to then posting a bunch of game requests and pictures of fireworks.

EDIT -- if that didnt make any sense it's because ive been on cough medicine (no not purple) for two days ... it's not really inebriating but my brain is BLAH-er than normal

Thanks, but how do I "follow" someone, and what is my "timeline" or my "mentions"?
Is "@" what they call "hashtag"?
So, I could send a remark only to you, or to all of your followers just by construction of the message?
Assuming I had some, how would I send something to my follower?

Kiwon
09-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Commencing damage control:

Blake Baratz ‏@blakebaratz
(cont) 4) & lastly, I hope u tune into the Blog because 140 characters is just not enough. Life's too short ppl, gotta relax a bit. #FAMILY

(cont) 3) I will always own up 2 my own opinions, I have no reason 2 hide from them, but please always understand, they're mine & mine only

(cont) 2) I understand the power of social media and how it can be taken in & out of context. Again, I will apologize for that

(pt 1) Last comment on Twitter Frenzy: 1) I apologize 2 @jermichaelf88 because he had nothing 2 do w MY comments or opinions.

:p Ha,ha,ha...

I love it when these guys step in it. The guy's a sports agent and he's ragging like he's John Q. Fan.

Give me a break, it's your livelihood, it's your job. You make your clients look good. You don't bring unwanted attention to them because you want to assert your right to share your "opinion."

Yeah, okay, share your opinion and then lose business for yourself. I wish I could have seen his face when he realized his tweet was going national. You know that his players contacted him and told to quit talking in some very colorful terms.

If you doubt the power of Twitter, think again. Lady Gaga has 29.5 million followers. Yes, some accounts are fakes, but nonetheless, 20+ million people want to read her 140 character messages on their phones or computers. I'm not one of them but that's impressive. It's a very effective and powerful PR tool.

RashanGary
09-18-2012, 10:18 PM
5th follower

Kiwon
09-18-2012, 10:30 PM
#6 - 나도 따르겠습니다

mission
09-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks, but how do I "follow" someone, and what is my "timeline" or my "mentions"?
Is "@" what they call "hashtag"?
So, I could send a remark only to you, or to all of your followers just by construction of the message?
Assuming I had some, how would I send something to my follower?

- Create a twitter account on twitter.com.
- Search for any name in the search box above -- click follow
- Anything they post will show up on your main twitter page (that's your timeline)
- If they reply to someone by "tweeting" '@tonymission you're the man' -- it will not show up on your timeline
- To tweet to your followers you just type something. Cannot start with an @
- A hastag is #Packers a tweet example using one would be: 'Wow, did you see the #Packers game last night?? #unbelievable' ... now you can click on #Packers and see every other tweet with #Packers in it. The second hashtag example is a little less practical and more just to accentuate ?? Not sure how to put it. 'I'm watching #TheVoice with my wife right now and Christina is really hanging out. #boobs #strangeshape ' I'm personally not that big on hash tags but they can be good to see about a particular topic.
- I like to also do things like search a movie name around a premier just to see what real life people going to the movies are saying about something. You can see trends pretty quickly and it helps me get out of shitty movies my wife wants to watch.
- Twitter is very powerful as you learn it!

Putz around for a little bit, you'll get the hang of it. It's the #1 reason my post count is down on all Packer forums, I hate to say it. It's so much easier for me. I'm more of a mobile guy and Twitter really excels on mobile devices. It's so convenient when you're at a red light or waiting at the doctor or, my favorite, the aforementioned morning bathroom time.

pbmax
09-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Do we want to do this here or in Romper Room?

Patler
09-19-2012, 12:29 AM
RR is fine with me, and if someone wants to delete/move my posts that are off topic, I'm in favor of that, too.

sharpe1027
09-19-2012, 02:35 PM

Haha, that seems a bit extreme. You could have just hid them from your feed (or unfriended them).

Lurker64
09-19-2012, 05:16 PM
If Patler goes on Twitter, he needs to post his username so we can all follow him.

gbgary
09-20-2012, 08:56 AM
2nd. What's a bappy?

lol...that's what the grand kids call me (learning to talk version of grampy).