PDA

View Full Version : Nope. No leap for you!

Jimx29
09-17-2012, 09:21 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1192101/SCARY-MARINE.gif

mission
09-17-2012, 09:40 PM
That's amazing in so many ways.

Little Whiskey
09-17-2012, 09:47 PM
how does he keep his hat on? that thing appears to be teetering

mission
09-17-2012, 09:50 PM

They practice doing that in the mirror. SOP.

Brando19
09-17-2012, 10:18 PM
He should have ran through the ass hole.

MJZiggy
09-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Don't know if dude noticed this, but there was a railing where he planned to leap...Could've been interesting.

Brandon494
09-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Thats fucking great, Texas was putting an ass whipping on them too. That dude is far from an asshole, you don't showboat when you up by 35+ points.

George Cumby
09-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Thats fucking great, Texas was putting an ass whipping on them too. That dude is far from an asshole, you don't showboat when you up by 35+ points.

Fuckin' A.

Semper Fi, motherfucker.

RashanGary
09-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Buzz Kill

RashanGary
09-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Fuck, that guy sucked the wind out of Goodwin's sails. I had a good 1 minute belly laugh watching that thing.

Brandon494
09-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Several commenters on the InsideTexas.com game thread say that Goodwin was shushing the Ole Miss crowd, to which the Marine took offense.
Perhaps the Marine was trying to teach Goodwin some humility. That’s an admittedly difficult task considering that Goodwin would account for 182 yards and two TDs on just four touches against Ole Miss. And that he competed in the long jump at the London Olympics earlier this summer.

:no:

mission
09-17-2012, 11:20 PM
He should have ran through the ass hole.

Marine would have destroyed him. I won't scold you for calling the guy an asshole, but let's just say I disagree.

pbmax
09-17-2012, 11:46 PM
I vote that nobody won here.

Is the Marine visiting, ROTC, security, or what?

gbpackfan
09-17-2012, 11:51 PM
I don't understand what the Marine's purpose was there. Fan? Security? Whatever it was, it isn't his job to correct the player on anything. He wasn't out of line there. What was he doing that was sooo bad. So what, he told the crowd to sush! Big freaking deal. Don't Marines protect our right to free speech? Also, he seems to be a little carried away. I mean, calm down. It was a football game. Geesh.

MJZiggy
09-18-2012, 06:24 AM
Maybe he's a drill sergeant...

mmmdk
09-18-2012, 06:31 AM
I think he said 'No...No!'.

RashanGary
09-18-2012, 07:15 AM
Also, he seems to be a little carried away. I mean, calm down. It was a football game. Geesh.

No shit, right. That guy is a nut case. Someone has a really, really bad life. The football player is just having fun. That guy doesn't know what fun is.

George Cumby
09-18-2012, 07:28 AM
No shit, right. That guy is a nut case. Someone has a really, really bad life. The football player is just having fun. That guy doesn't know what fun is.

How the fuck do you know if he doesn't know what fun is?

Who would I rather hang with, entitled spoiled athlete or the Gunny?

Check it out in real time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4o6hrHrzWk&feature=player_embedded#!

No big deal, happens real fast.

Also, check out the cop and security dude behind the Gunny. They have a good laugh about it.

Pugger
09-18-2012, 08:00 AM
The best thing about that clip is the reaction of the cop behind the Gunny and the guy in the black shirt after the Marine said 'No no no' to the idiot player.

pbmax
09-18-2012, 08:09 AM
The best thing about that clip is the reaction of the cop behind the Gunny and the guy in the black shirt after the Marine said 'No no no' to the idiot player.

You mean screamed "NOOOOOOOOOOO" "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" to a football player who just scored a touchdown in a football stadium and is providing entertainment to 80,000 paying customers?

Pugger
09-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Didn't you see the cop and the guy in the black shirt laughing at the entire situation?

SkinBasket
09-18-2012, 08:35 AM
I don't understand what the Marine's purpose was there. Fan? Security? Whatever it was, it isn't his job to correct the player on anything. He wasn't out of line there. What was he doing that was sooo bad. So what, he told the crowd to sush! Big freaking deal. Don't Marines protect our right to free speech? Also, he seems to be a little carried away. I mean, calm down. It was a football game. Geesh.

Now a Marine needs a "purpose" to exist somewhere? Well excuse him for being somewhere that confuses you. He's only spent his adult life protecting your complainy ass. Would you be happier if a fat union electrician had been the one to take issue with the player's unimaginative, egomasturbatory behavior? Or a hot dog vender? Your mom?

Patler
09-18-2012, 08:53 AM
OK, I did about 30 seconds worth of research, and discovered the following:

- the Gunny is part of their ROTC program and is well-known around campus.
- the Gunny is said to be a cool guy, but also a stickler for protocol and detail (after all, he is a Gunny, which of them aren't?).
- the player actually started to salute the Gunny (you can sort of see that in the clip)
- the Gunny snapped to immediately and put a stop to it.

Makes sense, because:

1. The Gunny is never going to allow himself to be used as a prop.
2. It's not proper to salute the Gunny even if you are enlisted, unless the Gunny is wearing the Medal of Honor or a few unique situations.
3. It is not proper for a civilian to salute the Gunny anyway.

This Gunny, and any other that I have known, is not about to let the player have his fun at the expense of the Gunny, his uniform or the military.

Thanks Gunny, and I respect the way you handled it, direct, upfront and no doubt.

pbmax
09-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Now a Marine needs a "purpose" to exist somewhere? Well excuse him for being somewhere that confuses you. He's only spent his adult life protecting your complainy ass. Would you be happier if a fat union electrician had been the one to take issue with the player's unimaginative, egomasturbatory behavior? Or a hot dog vender? Your mom?

Don't most Marines in full dress uniform have a purpose when they are in public, especially on the sidelines of a football game? I thought Color Guard but Patler's post seems to indicate otherwise.

pbmax
09-18-2012, 09:11 AM
OK, I did about 30 seconds worth of research, and discovered the following:

- the Gunny is part of their ROTC program and is well-known around campus.
- the Gunny is said to be a cool guy, but also a stickler for protocol and detail (after all, he is a Gunny, which of them aren't?).
- the player actually started to salute the Gunny (you can sort of see that in the clip)
- the Gunny snapped to immediately and put a stop to it.

Makes sense, because:

1. The Gunny is never going to allow himself to be used as a prop.
2. It's not proper to salute the Gunny even if you are enlisted, unless the Gunny is wearing the Medal of Honor or a few unique situations.
3. It is not proper for a civilian to salute the Gunny anyway.

This Gunny, and any other that I have known, is not about to let the player have his fun at the expense of the Gunny, his uniform or the military.

Thanks Gunny, and I respect the way you handled it, direct, upfront and no doubt.

All sounds reasonable except the player was not facing the Marine, the Marine has to take a full step right to stand in front of him. The player had an almost entirely uncontested run down the field, if his purpose was to face and salute the Marine, how did he miss him?

The Marine put up his right hand, not to stop a salute, but to stop the player. His behavior suggests to me he didn't want the player to approach the stands. But if he isn't security, why?

Patler
09-18-2012, 09:23 AM
All sounds reasonable except the player was not facing the Marine, the Marine has to take a full step right to stand in front of him. The player had an almost entirely uncontested run down the field, if his purpose was to face and salute the Marine, how did he miss him?

The Marine put up his right hand, not to stop a salute, but to stop the player. His behavior suggests to me he didn't want the player to approach the stands. But if he isn't security, why?

Geez, how do you know why he put up his right hand? He barely waived it a little above his waist, then assumed the hands-on-hips stance and began shouting.

Reports from those at the game and apparently in the end zone left no doubt that the player attempted to salute the Gunny. Maybe other players had saluted the Gunny, and he decided to end it. Maybe the player just noticed the Gunny as he got there, and started the salute while looking sideways at him, and the Gunny jumped directly in front to confront him.

What makes you think the player was going to jump into the stands? We don't know that was his intention.

George Cumby
09-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Don't most Marines in full dress uniform have a purpose when they are in public, especially on the sidelines of a football game? I thought Color Guard but Patler's post seems to indicate otherwise.

Military have no civilian authority. Posse comitatus and all that jazz.

mraynrand
09-18-2012, 09:59 AM
When I am lying, dying in my deathbed, I will reflect on the awesome significance of this thread, and how it justified my existence.

pbmax
09-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Geez, how do you know why he put up his right hand? He barely waived it a little above his waist, then assumed the hands-on-hips stance and began shouting.

Reports from those at the game and apparently in the end zone left no doubt that the player attempted to salute the Gunny. Maybe other players had saluted the Gunny, and he decided to end it. Maybe the player just noticed the Gunny as he got there, and started the salute while looking sideways at him, and the Gunny jumped directly in front to confront him.

What makes you think the player was going to jump into the stands? We don't know that was his intention.

Fair point on the hand, from the real-time footage its not a defensive move, its a sharper gesture of disapproval. He is already giving the player what-for.

I don't think he was going to jump into the crowd. I think the Longhorn fans in the endzone were inviting him to jump. While he was in the endzone, before he was in front of the Marine, he put up his hand palm out as if to gesture stop, be calm or quite. I think he was going to celebrate with or taunt the crowd in the endzone from the ground because fans of both teams were in there.

If he was going to salute the Marine, he was gesturing the wrong way.

pbmax
09-18-2012, 10:26 AM
When I am lying, dying in my deathbed, I will reflect on the awesome significance of this thread, and how it justified my existence.

You know you will remember the Favre thread long after this.

pbmax
09-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Military have no civilian authority. Posse comitatus and all that jazz.

That must be why all those people in flooding areas always refuse to leave because the National Guard don't have the authority to drag them kicking and screaming.
-yes, I know the Marines and the National Guard are two different things and perform entirely different roles
-yes, I know joking about personal rights vs. poor decision making and later risking the lives of first responders in times of emergencies is a serious matter, should not be joked about and probably should be given a long going over during the Presidential debates

My point was that the Marine, in dress uniform, was probably (though possibly not) there in an official capacity. Maybe as Color Guard, maybe halftime presentation or something altogether different. It was not to suggest he was part of a broader Marine presence or action during the Ole Miss game. Knowing why he was there might, I thought, help us to understand why he thought he should intervene.

Patler
09-18-2012, 11:01 AM
My point was that the Marine, in dress uniform, was probably (though possibly not) there in an official capacity. Maybe as Color Guard, maybe halftime presentation or something altogether different. It was not to suggest he was part of a broader Marine presence or action during the Ole Miss game. Knowing why he was there might, I thought, help us to understand why he thought he should intervene.

Why he thought he should intervene? Because he was there. Doesn't matter why he was there, he was. So he did.
Dress uniform/fatigues...I doubt it would have mattered to him.
Official/unofficial capacity...I doubt that would have mattered to him either.

mmmdk
09-18-2012, 11:13 AM
I thought the whole episode was fun and I'm no military guy even though I've served.

Guiness
09-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Colour me a little confused too.

At first it kinda looks like he's having some fun - at least the guys behind him thought it was funny. However, if he's that serious about it, and was in uniform I doubt he did it in jest. It seems rather unprofessional, the only thing that makes sense to me is the idea that he was going to salute the Marine and he took offense to it. If Goodwin was going to shush the crowd, why would he care?

If he wasn't there in an official capacity, why was he on the sidelines?

Of course, I'm Canadian, don't understand a lot of stuff related to the forces in the US, so maybe I should just keep my big Canuck trap shut.

Guiness
09-18-2012, 11:32 AM
This is a pretty good video from the same game. Forever breaking the fallacy Eric on That 70s show started when he said 'No one wants to tackle a naked guy'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VbCOJsnrc5M

Brandon494
09-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Maybe he's a drill sergeant...

He is

RashanGary
09-18-2012, 09:11 PM
You mean screamed "NOOOOOOOOOOO" "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" to a football player who just scored a touchdown in a football stadium and is providing entertainment to 80,000 paying customers?

An excited college kid. He wasn't cocky a bit. He took that guys tirade like a man and went on his way. Zero disrespect.

You treat someone like that when they really fuck up. You don't treat someone like that just because you can.

mission
09-18-2012, 09:12 PM
I didn't know we had some many damn hippies here! Go 'merica! :lol:

mmmdk
09-18-2012, 10:22 PM
I didn't know we had some many damn hippies here! Go 'merica! :lol:

Born In The U. S. A.

Born down in a dead man town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
You end up like a dog that's been beat too much
Till you spend half your life just covering up

Born in the u.s.a., I was born in the u.s.a.
I was born in the u.s.a., born in the u.s.a.

Got in a little hometown jam
So they put a rifle in my hand
Sent me off to a foreign land
To go and kill the yellow man

Born in the U.S.A...

Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man said son if it was up to me
Went down to see my v.a. man
He said son, don't you understand

I had a brother at Khe Sahn
Fighting off the Viet Cong
They're still there, he's all gone

He had a woman he loved in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms now

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I'm ten years burning down the road
Nowhere to run aint got nowhere to go

Born in the u.s.a., I was born in the u.s.a.
Born in the u.s.a., I'm a long gone daddy in the u.s.a.
Born in the u.s.a., born in the u.s.a.
Born in the u.s.a., I'm a cool rocking daddy in the u.s.a.

Bruce, you're the finest of all the hippies of the world. :tup:

Patler
09-19-2012, 12:34 AM
An excited college kid. He wasn't cocky a bit. He took that guys tirade like a man and went on his way. Zero disrespect.

You treat someone like that when they really fuck up. You don't treat someone like that just because you can.

Treat someone like what? What did he do that was so awful, so bad?
The whole encounter was so brief, we've probably invested more energy and thought into it than either side merits at this point.

Iron Mike
09-19-2012, 06:57 AM

There's nothing in his head to serve as ballast.

Just kidding, former jarheads. :)

Travbrew
09-19-2012, 01:03 PM
He is

The Army and Air Force have drill sergeants the Marine Corps has Drill Instructors. I know, semantics but Marines don't like that.

For the record:
If he is then he is not currently but was a Drill Instructor and is now an ROTC instructor; the difference being DIs are only at at MCRDs Parris Island and San Diego for enlisted recruit training (you know, with their campaign covers on - "Smokey Bear") .

DI duty is a pre-requisite for follow-on duty as an Officer Cadidate School, The Basic School, or ROTC instructor. ROTC is training you recieve while in college, preparing you for OCS. OCS is where you earn your commission (between junior/senior year for ROTC, after college graduation for all else). TBS is for all newly appointed officers. Yes, officers are trained by enlisted.

Oh, and BTW, the National Guard is funded by their home state (unless called to forward deploy, then DoD) and as such can by activated by the state governer for disaster relief, etc. No posse comitatus.