PDA

View Full Version : Steve Sabol, founder of NFL Films, dies

Brandon494
09-18-2012, 12:27 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000063643/article/steve-sabol-founder-of-nfl-films-dies?module=HP11_headline_stack

Sad news, I didn't even know he had a brain tumor.

gbgary
09-18-2012, 12:45 PM
edit: thought this was the elder mr sabol who went into the hof last year. this is his son!! didn't realize he was sick...or 69 years old.

Upnorth
09-18-2012, 01:28 PM
This man was a genius at what he did. RIP

Patler
09-18-2012, 01:43 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000063643/article/steve-sabol-founder-of-nfl-films-dies?module=HP11_headline_stack

Sad news, I didn't even know he had a brain tumor.

Just to get the credits right, he was not the founder, his father Ed Sabol was the founder, and did films in the '60s. Steve Sabol took over from his father.

Patler
09-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Some of the articles are saying the father-son team co-founded NFL films, so perhaps I jumped the gun crediting just Ed. In the early-mid '60s, Ed Sabol was the face of NFL films, and my impression was clearly that the son was working for and learning under the father, but the technical advancements were often credited to Steve. Steve would have been very young at the time, but what a great team they were.

Extensive use of slow motion, close-ups, showing a single play from multiple angles with actual real-time player and coach comments in the background from mics on the sidelines were all their ideas. You didn't see much of that in the actual broadcasts. I couldn't wait for the release of the yearly video summaries for each team and the playoff highlights. They would broadcast them Sunday mornings in the off-season. With the booming voice of John Facenda as narrator, it made watching NFL Films almost a religious experience in those early days. The sights and sounds were that unique.

Cheesehead Craig
09-18-2012, 02:24 PM
It was a fantastic concept with even better execution.

pbmax
09-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Often when playing football with a small group in the backyard, we would re-enact good plays in slow motion. And you had to hum one of the NFL songs to get the full effect while you were doing it.

Can't do it with a large group and an organized game, but with 4 or 5 people, it was as much fun as playing.

CaptainKickass
09-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Extensive use of slow motion, close-ups, showing a single play from multiple angles with actual real-time player and coach comments in the background from mics on the sidelines were all their ideas. You didn't see much of that in the actual broadcasts. I couldn't wait for the release of the yearly video summaries for each team and the playoff highlights. They would broadcast them Sunday mornings in the off-season. With the booming voice of John Facenda as narrator, it made watching NFL Films almost a religious experience in those early days. The sights and sounds were that unique.

^ +1,000,000

pbmax
09-18-2012, 03:15 PM
^ +1,000,000

Don't forget they were all shot on film as well. Meant their footage looked unique compared to everything else in sports.

mraynrand
09-18-2012, 03:19 PM
I did't know Steve was sick either. What a loss for football. That guy - and his Dad - really loved what he(they) did and were excellent at it. RIP

One thing he's going to have to answer for is calling the Cowboys "America's Team." Go easy on him, Vince!

Freak Out
09-18-2012, 04:40 PM
RIP. Loved the work they did over the years....masterful production and editing.

Little Whiskey
09-18-2012, 04:51 PM
http://youtu.be/WEELeovGCa8

just gives you goosebumps!

sheepshead
09-18-2012, 05:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amilm-QQZkQ

Patler
09-18-2012, 05:49 PM
http://youtu.be/WEELeovGCa8

just gives you goosebumps!

The 85 yard TD run by Taylor, shown at 2:37 of that video, shows a little bit why Starr recently said Bob Skoronski deserves to be in the HOF. That was him, #76, running stride for stride with Taylor down the sideline, and delivering a final block obliterating a defender at the goal line, 85 yards from where the play started (even more when you consider he came from outside the far hashmark).

Freak Out
09-18-2012, 06:13 PM
The 85 yard TD run by Taylor, shown at 2:37 of that video, shows a little bit why Starr recently said Bob Skoronski deserves to be in the HOF. That was him, #76, running stride for stride with Taylor down the sideline, and delivering a final block obliterating a defender at the goal line, 85 yards from where the play started (even more when you consider he came from outside the far hashmark).

To Greensleeves no less.

MadtownPacker
09-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Extensive use of slow motion, close-ups, showing a single play from multiple angles with actual real-time player and coach comments in the background from mics on the sidelines were all their ideas. You didn't see much of that in the actual broadcasts. I couldn't wait for the release of the yearly video summaries for each team and the playoff highlights. They would broadcast them Sunday mornings in the off-season. With the booming voice of John Facenda as narrator, it made watching NFL Films almost a religious experience in those early days. The sights and sounds were that unique.Great way to put it. I just read your post in what I once believed was the voice of the NFL God. :lol:

RIP Mr. Sabol, you brought something special to this world.

George Cumby
09-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Bummer.

I grew up watching those old NFL films, criminy but they were good. John Facenda WAS the voice of God.

Funny thing, the other day I was singing "Drunken Sailor" to the wife. She didn't get it.

KYPack
09-18-2012, 08:40 PM

The defender is then Lions CB and now Uber Steeler DC, Dick LeBeau.

RashanGary
09-18-2012, 09:07 PM
I did't know Steve was sick either. What a loss for football. That guy - and his Dad - really loved what he(they) did and were excellent at it. RIP

One thing he's going to have to answer for is calling the Cowboys "America's Team." Go easy on him, Vince!

The Packers SB DVD, I believe, is the last one he did. I have that DVD. Love it.

Patler
09-18-2012, 09:11 PM
The defender is then Lions CB and now Uber Steeler DC, Dick LeBeau.

Hall of Famer Dick LeBeau attempting to tackle Hall of Famer Jim Taylor, and getting blasted by plain old Bob Skoronski.

Kiwon
09-18-2012, 10:22 PM
The Sabol family was great. You can't separate the popularity (and the money) of the NFL from NFL Films. They really helped to monetize the product.

Like I said last week, the only two things I care about regarding the NFL is (1) what takes place on the field and (2) NFL Films. You can keep the rest of it.

The Sabols were innovators, pioneers, and yes, they DID build that business....to the benefit of generations of sports fans everywhere.

mmmdk
09-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Great tribute thread! RIP.

Fritz
09-19-2012, 08:15 PM
I always thought it was Ed Sabol's voice. Damn. But whoever did it all - the Sabols - made football players into gods and the games into wars above aMt. Olympus. They made the NFL into more than a game - this was mythmaking at its best.

pbmax
09-20-2012, 12:23 AM
Forget the film, voice or cuts. Remember the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4E0AXU2myM&feature=fvwrel

pbmax
09-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Remember the Starbucks ad from a couple of years ago where with a cup of Starbucks you got Survivor to follow you around to play "Eye of The Tiger" wherever you went?

How much fun would you have if the NFL Films orchestra followed you around to provide a score for walking into work meetings?