PDA

View Full Version : Crosby

Smidgeon
09-19-2012, 10:12 AM
I didn't want to look for any of those threads bashing Crosby's long distance field goal skills, but I thought this bit interesting:

http://espn.go.com/espn/elias?date=20120914

Crosby has as many 50+ field goals made at Lambeau as Jacke and Longwell combined. And he's still young.

Fritz
09-19-2012, 10:38 AM
I didn't want to look for any of those threads bashing Crosby's long distance field goal skills, but I thought this bit interesting:

http://espn.go.com/espn/elias?date=20120914

Crosby has as many 50+ field goals made at Lambeau as Jacke and Longwell combined. And he's still young.

Kickers and punters, like QB's and safeties, seem to take a long time to mature and develop fully. Remember when we were wondering if Crosby was the right guy for the job? And when Masthay barely beat out that Aussie for the punting job a couple years ago?

Tony Oday
09-19-2012, 10:45 AM
I was wrong about Crosby for sure. I dont get scared anymore when he trots out for a 40 yarder.

rbaloha1
09-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Crosby has a smooth stroke but does suffer from streaks of inaccuracy.

Nonetheless a good player to keep for another 5-10 years.

Smidgeon
09-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Kickers and punters, like QB's and safeties, seem to take a long time to mature and develop fully. Remember when we were wondering if Crosby was the right guy for the job? And when Masthay barely beat out that Aussie for the punting job a couple years ago?

Crosby and Masthay might be one of the best combos GB's had. Ever. Now, I say that not being well versed with the kicking/punting abilities of yesteryear. I say that assuming this talented of a tandem is statistically rare.

CaptainKickass
09-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Crosby and Masthay might be one of the best combos GB's had. Ever. Now, I say that not being well versed with the kicking/punting abilities of yesteryear. I say that assuming this talented of a tandem is statistically rare.

Or you could take a lesson and just throw some disqualifying statement in your signature....

Smidgeon
09-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Or you could take a lesson and just throw some disqualifying statement in your signature....

That could work too. :)

mmmdk
10-07-2012, 08:56 PM

:satan:

Pugger
10-07-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm not gonna crucify Crosby today. Hell, we shouldn't have needed him if we played up to our potential in the first place. He had a crappy day. It happens to the best of them.

mmmdk
10-07-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm not gonna crucify Crosby today. Hell, we shouldn't have needed him if we played up to our potential in the first place. He had a crappy day. It happens to the best of them.

Neither will I; but let it be known that he isn't among "the best of them".

mraynrand
10-07-2012, 09:47 PM
These are the games you have your kicker for - not for tacking on extra points in lop-sided blowouts. Maybe you need your kicker to win one or two games a year, and given the way the refs are spotting the opposition leads, etc. every one of these is critical. Crosby failed, and failed as big as you can fail in one game as a kicker.

MJZiggy
10-07-2012, 09:49 PM
I'd still rather have Crosby than Vinatieri...

red
10-07-2012, 09:55 PM
most coaches don't call settling for a 50+ yard FG try

mase is asked to kick way too many 50+ yarders IMO. he's got the leg, but its just not a high percentage try, no matter who's kicking it

i blame crosby very little for the loss today

mraynrand
10-07-2012, 09:57 PM

mase is asked to kick way too many 50+ yarders IMO. he's got the leg, but its just not a high percentage try, no matter who's kicking it

Didn't the other guy hit his?

Crosby and Finley: The Vagina Monologues...

Teamcheez1
10-07-2012, 10:01 PM
I would like to think he could hit a 50 yarder in a dome under near perfect conditions.

mmmdk
10-07-2012, 10:05 PM

It's not about blaming Crosby for Colts loss; he is what he is = not an elite NFL kicker. B...where are U? :lol:

mission
10-07-2012, 10:11 PM
I've never liked Crosby. Especially don't today.

Never clutch, and don't defend it.

LegandofthePack15
10-07-2012, 11:00 PM
I would like to think he could hit a 50 yarder in a dome under near perfect conditions.

The conditions were more than near perfect. They were absolutely fucking perfect. Crosby's two missed werent even close. He choked plain and simple.

I call Crosby "The Snowman" b/c he has a penchant for melting during clutch kicks.

LegandofthePack15
10-07-2012, 11:01 PM

+1

LegandofthePack15
10-07-2012, 11:09 PM
I'd still rather have Crosby than Vinatieri...

You would take the Snowman over the guy who kicked game-winning fgs in 3 Super Bowls?

MadtownPacker
10-07-2012, 11:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsboRHGzn2g

Noodle
10-08-2012, 12:36 AM
Back off Crosby. At that distance, it's a coin flip; literally the odds are about 50/50.

Add in end-of-game pressure, and those goal posts get even tighter.

LegandofthePack15
10-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Back off Crosby. At that distance, it's a coin flip; literally the odds are about 50/50.

Its indoor; no wind. Perfect conditions. No excuses. Gotta make the kick!

As Rand stated, Crosby failed with a big fucking F.

Gunakor
10-08-2012, 02:45 AM
Crosby failed today. I wouldn't jump on his back over this if he had missed JUST wide from 51 - that happens. But he missed the freakin net behind the posts. No wind. He shanked that one big time, plain and simple. Thought it was gonna hit the corner pylon. Ridiculous.

Pugger
10-08-2012, 07:08 AM
Crosby had a crappy day but he's been pretty good up until yesterday. If we had played anywhere near our potential in the second half yesterday it would never have had come down to praying for a 50 yard kick to take the damn game into overtime.

mraynrand
10-08-2012, 07:17 AM

He missed two of them. The other guy hit his 53 yarder. Loser.*

*Crosby, not Noodle

mraynrand
10-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Crosby had a crappy day but he's been pretty good up until yesterday. If we had played anywhere near our potential in the second half yesterday it would never have had come down to praying for a 50 yard kick to take the damn game into overtime.

Yeah, but sometimes games come down to making a FG when it matters, and that's why you have the kicker that wins it for you. Or you have a loser like Crosby.

pbmax
10-08-2012, 09:27 AM
I'd be less concerned if he had not developed a knuckleball in the offseason. Seriously, something has gone horribly awry with that long distance kick. Happened in the preseason multiple times and again yesterday.

The good news is that despite strong special teams performances, we can still call for a certain someone to be relieved of their responsibilities now that Crosby has Steve Sax disease on 45+ attempts.

mmmdk
10-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Crosby failed today. I wouldn't jump on his back over this if he had missed JUST wide from 51 - that happens. But he missed the freakin net behind the posts. No wind. He shanked that one big time, plain and simple. Thought it was gonna hit the corner pylon. Ridiculous.

I second this! Great kickers, heck even good ones do not make such shanks. Probably the most horrid dome FGA I can remember from following NFL for +25 years.

Patler
10-08-2012, 10:14 AM
I second this! Great kickers, heck even good ones do not make such shanks. Probably the most horrid dome FGA I can remember from following NFL for +25 years.

Crosby said the same thing in his post-game interview. He said he hasn't hit a ball that poorly in ages. However, as Ryan Longwell constantly reminded us, it isn't always the kickers fault when a kick goes awry! :smile:

I don't recall Crosby ever criticizing a hold or snap. He always refers to "we" in their successes and failures. Interestingly, yesterday he said he is anxious to see the tape on what went wrong, and said he thought the ball was moving as he kicked it. He seemingly sort of caught himself, and then took a lot of the blame with "I", etc.

Indoors, outdoors, it really doesn't matter. Any kick of 50+ yards isn't much more than a 50-50 opportunity. Even with the ball spotted in the center between the hashmarks, the allowable deviation from dead center is just +/- 9 feet, 3 inches. Basically, he can shank it or hook it by three yards over a distance of 150 feet. Of course, if he is kicking from one of the hashmarks, the tolerance is even less due to the angle.

Crosby did not have a good day yesterday, and honestly does not seem to have the ice water in his veins for game winning (or tieing) kicks that others have. However, I think the Packers could do much worse than Crosby.

mmmdk
10-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Crosby did not have a good day yesterday, and honestly does not seem to have the ice water in his veins for game winning (or tieing) kicks that others have. However, I think the Packers could do much worse than Crosby.

I edited your response as the above is the essence of my claim; the rest is putting/posting stock into the 'Captain Obvious' notion. Not trying to throw you under the bus, Patler, as I cherish your rational posts. :smile:

LEWCWA
10-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Crosby choked and his coach didn't help him by mangleing the last 15 seconds of the game!

mraynrand
10-08-2012, 02:43 PM
I'd be less concerned if he had not developed a knuckleball in the offseason.

no shit. Crosby's kick looked like he was the guy they pulled from Sec 115, Row 10, Seat 12 to come down to the field and make the 50 yard field goal and win the Buick LaSalle at half time. Fucker is thinking, "I gotta put every gaddam Erg I have into this to have any chance of it even getting to the goal post. AAAAARRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

rbaloha1
10-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Crosby has nice stats and a smooth stroke.

For whatever reason, MC goes thru streaks of missing fgs.