PDA

View Full Version : Twitter Ab Absurdo

pbmax
09-19-2012, 11:10 PM
If Mad wants to sticky this in the Packer Board then put the thread in the Romper Room, thats fine by me.

Just going to start with the basics, then everyone can chime in. Current users can post tips they like, new users can ask away. I have found most of the answers I wanted about Twitter online, though the info is more scattered than you might expect, probably because a lot of people use the service for many different reasons.

I use Twitter for two reasons: 1) Most news breaks wide on Twitter first, even I think, compared to cable news or radio. I spend my day mostly in front of my computer and its far more entertaining reading Twitter than watching a news website. Also far fewer flash videos slowing everything down.

2) Just about everything I want to read about football is linked to (and marketed by) the Twitter accounts of writers. From SI to Pro Football Talk to JSOnline to PackersNews.com, Pro Football Focus, Football Outsiders, Advanced NFL Stats and Smart Football, everything they write gets a brief blurb in a Tweet always with a link. Its one stop shopping for news.

The same service Pro Football Talk provided by putting nearly all football rumors in one blog is mimicked by Twitter, only for every topic you can imagine.

The address, obviously: http://twitter.com/

You can create a user account with a minimum of personal info and an email address. Your first big choice is whether to make the account public or private. Most accounts you will read or see in a search are public. You may wish to be private to begin with until you are comfortable. However, with a private account, folks can see your account but not your Tweets unless they follow you. It also diminishes greatly the chances of someone you follow replying to a Tweet you send them. You can switch from Private to Public and back again.

The web interface provides all the basics after you sign up. You can search for a topic (any word, name or phrase), search for a hashtag (we'll get to it) or for a person. Searches are the broadest net, they will return users, hashtags and simply the search words themselves in every Tweet it can find. A search for a hashtagged topic will return only Tweets that have the hashtag. Search for a person by name and you might get their Twitter account and you will get every Tweet with their name in it.

Mainly Twitter is a way to collect other Tweets that might interest you. The easiest way to get material ready made is to search for an individual you might wish to follow. Following another Twitter account is just a way to link their account with yours, so all their public Tweets will appear in your Timeline. If you Follow someone, their Tweets always appear in your Timeline but the reverse is not true unless you include their Twitter handle (@BobMcGinn) inside the Tweet with the rest of your message. If someone Follows you, then they will see all your Tweets, regardless of subject or Twitter handles inside the message (there is one exception). You can block people from following you if they bother you.

Say you want to keep up with the Packers and Bob McGinn. If you search his name, you will get a list of Tweets with his name in them. But you will also get Twitter accounts listed at the top of the results page that use that name, and JSO's Bob McGinn will be the first listed. If you are already logged into your account, Bob's Twitter account will be listed with a "Follow" button. Click that and you link to his account. Click it again and you Unfollow him. If you are not logged into Twitter, the follow button, if it shows at all, will ask you to login or create and account.

People will know when they add followers and when they lose them. Its normally not personal, especially for public figures. Your family might think differently.

pbmax
09-19-2012, 11:31 PM
https://support.twitter.com/entries/166337-the-twitter-glossary

#
See "Hashtags"

@
The @ sign is used to call out usernames in Tweets, like this: Hello @Twitter! When a username is preceded by the @ sign, it becomes a link to a Twitter profile. See also Replies and Mentions.

Blocking
To block someone on Twitter means they will be unable to follow you or add you to their lists, and we will not deliver their mentions to your mentions tab.

Direct Message or DM
Also called a DM and most recently called simply a "message," these Tweets are private between the sender and recipient. Tweets sent over SMS become DMs when they begin with "d username" to specify who the message is for.

Follower
A follower is another Twitter user who has followed you.

Following
Your following number reflects the quantity of other Twitter users you have chosen to follow on the site.

Handle
A user's "Twitter handle" is the username they have selected and the accompanying URL, like so: http://twitter.com/username.

Hashtag
The # symbol is used to mark keywords or topics in a Tweet. It was created organically by Twitter users.

A Tweet posted in reply to another user's message, usually posted by clicking the "reply" button next to their Tweet in your timeline. Always begins with @username.

Retweet (noun) or RT
A Tweet by another user, forwarded to you by someone you follow. Often used to spread news or share valuable findings on Twitter.
. . . . . . . (verb) To retweet, retweeting, retweeted. The act of forwarding another user's Tweet to all of your followers.

Timeline
A real-time list of Tweets on Twitter. See also Home Timeline.

Timestamp
A note displaying when a Tweet was posted to Twitter. Can be found in grey text directly below any Tweet. Is also a link to that Tweet's own URL.

Trending Topic
A subject algorithmically determined to be one of the most popular on Twitter at the moment.

Unfollow
To cease following another Twitter user. Their Tweets no longer show up in your home timeline.

URL Shortener (http://goo.gl)
URL shorteners are used to turn long URLs into shorter URLs. Shortening services can be found online. Find out how to shorten links. Like PackerRats, Twitter will shorten URLs for you automatically.

Username
Also known as a Twitter handle. Must be unique and contain fewer than 15 characters. Is used to identify you on Twitter for replies and mentions.

pbmax
09-19-2012, 11:55 PM
A few odds and ends:

1. If you put someone's Twitter handle first in the message "@BobMcGinn...." before ANY other text, it will behave differently than all your other Tweets. And the reply button under every Tweet you read will, by default, put the @handle in that position. What's different?

a. A Tweet that starts "@BobMcGinn is sorely mistaken about Jarett Bush ..." will be public, but it will not show up in Bob's timeline nor will your followers see the message unless they also follow Bob. Is meant to restrict the conversation a bit. Only those who Follow you and Bob care if you two are chatting. Bob can see it by looking at his @Connect page, which is essentially its own search for YOUR own @TwitterHandle.

b. If you send a Tweet that starts "So @BobMcGinn is sorely mistaken about Jarrett Bush ..." then it will be public, in your timeline, your followers will see it in theirs and Bob can still see it in his @Connect page. You can get away with ".@BobMcGinn is sorely mistaken ..." as well.

2. You can put several Twitter handles in one message and you followers will see it as long as the Tweet starts with something other than @Handle for the first character. Each of those Twitter accounts will see your Tweet in their @Connect page.

3. You cannot put a Tweet, reply or otherwise, directly into another Twitter timeline. Seems odd from this end but it obviously helps prevent others from mini-spamming a timeline with a bunch of messages. If your target retweets it, or replies with your handle in the middle of the message, then that conversation will show up in their timeline for their followers to read.

4. If two users are each following each other, they can exchange a direct message or DM, which is the only private message Twitter supports in that it will not be searchable or appear in either timeline.

Freak Out
09-20-2012, 02:33 AM
Where am I?

wootah
09-20-2012, 03:46 AM
#pbmax worldwide trending right now

George Cumby
09-20-2012, 07:26 AM
thanks for putting in the work for us Luddites, PB

MadtownPacker
09-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Where am I?

@PBmax, nice work man that shit is crazy.

@Freak Out - you smart like otter.

Fritz
09-20-2012, 07:53 PM
PB, you are my technology hero. Thanks, man. My respect for you increases yet again. You seem smarter and more perceptive than about 95% of the people working in sports media right now. Well, maybe 99.95%.

Patler
09-21-2012, 01:37 AM
pbmax;

Wow - I'm speechless.
I now know about 10,000 times as much about Twitter as I did before.
Thanks for all the work organizing this.

Lurker64
09-21-2012, 01:20 PM
For what it's worth, you don't really need to use or understand hashtags. A lot of people don't use them at all. I have some 1700 tweets (having been on twitter for years) and rarely use them.

MJZiggy
09-22-2012, 12:22 PM
I use twitter heavily at work. I rarely use hashtags at work except for my #funfriday #questionoftheweek. And it can be kind of funny when working with tech savvy people to drop a hashtag into other things like facebook posts or make jokes of your hashtags.

All that said, you can keep very much on top of any subject you like with twitter. And if you also pay attention to trending topics, you can find things that are going on that you weren't looking for like when your favorite celebrity gets arrested or nekkid pics of someone show up. You see them first. Funny, though. I have a very serious work-related twitter feed, but my boss is the one who keeps running into my office with the celebrity updates. Hmmmm...

mission
09-22-2012, 09:55 PM
I use twitter heavily at work. I rarely use hashtags at work except for my #funfriday #questionoftheweek. And it can be kind of funny when working with tech savvy people to drop a hashtag into other things like facebook posts or make jokes of your hashtags.

All that said, you can keep very much on top of any subject you like with twitter. And if you also pay attention to trending topics, you can find things that are going on that you weren't looking for like when your favorite celebrity gets arrested or nekkid pics of someone show up. You see them first. Funny, though. I have a very serious work-related twitter feed, but my boss is the one who keeps running into my office with the celebrity updates. Hmmmm...

One of my personal favorites. Love when random hot chicks just decide to #tweettheirteats too...