PDA

View Full Version : A.J. Hawk - the anti-Samson?

Patler
09-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Samson is said to have lost his mo-jo upon the cutting of his hair. A.J. Hawk seems to have gotten his.

Hawk has made notable plays in each game. He looks faster, much more physical, far more decisive and more emotional than what we have seen in recent years. He looks like the player we saw his first and second years.

pbmax
09-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Weight loss? Other than hair, I haven't seen anything else offered as an explanation, unless Bishop being out has changed his assignments somewhat.

George Cumby
09-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Weight loss? Other than hair, I haven't seen anything else offered as an explanation, unless Bishop being out has changed his assignments somewhat.

I think so. My understanding is he dropped 10 pounds. He is moving faster and with more agility, like the Hawk that was drafted because he could chase down Vince Young.

Patler
09-25-2012, 09:07 AM
I think the weight loss is a lot of it, but there is also an attitude change. The fist pumping Hawk who jumps to his feet and screams after a play is very, very different from the calm, unemotional player we have seen. Lowering his shoulder pads and driving into a ball carrier or blockers is new and different for him.

ThunderDan
09-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Hawk credited with 11 tackles last night with 6 solos. 30 tackles thru 3 games.

mraynrand
09-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Contract year?

pbmax
09-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Contract year?

Almost. Can we call it a Roster Year? :lol:

MadtownPacker
09-25-2012, 11:34 AM
He was fired up huh? Whatever it is I hope he doubles the dose.

Rutnstrut
09-26-2012, 09:05 AM
I think the weight loss is a lot of it, but there is also an attitude change. The fist pumping Hawk who jumps to his feet and screams after a play is very, very different from the calm, unemotional player we have seen. Lowering his shoulder pads and driving into a ball carrier or blockers is new and different for him.

Exactly, not only has he changed his physical game, but his attitude. I like this get in your face attitude he has now.

mmmdk
09-26-2012, 09:42 AM
My authentic AJ Hawk jersey has value? Thank gods! :lol:

Anyways, I'm an AJ Hawk backer hence the jersey and I'm happy AJ is back on track.

Brandon494
09-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Is he playing better then last season? Of course but then again how could he not? He was horrible last season. I think its more to do with the players around him, most of his tackles are assisted. Also saw him run right pass Lynch on a couple of plays in the Seattle game. Yea he looks lighter but hes still the same over-rated, over-payed player that I love to hate. :taunt:

Brandon494
09-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Lowering his shoulder pads and driving into a ball carrier or blockers is new and different for him.

You mean wrapping up the ball carrier and dropping to his knees until help comes? Seriously when have you ever seen Hawk lower his shoulder and punish a ball carrier? That is what this defense is really going to miss this year from losing Bishop.

ThunderDan
09-26-2012, 02:21 PM
You mean wrapping up the ball carrier and dropping to his knees until help comes? Seriously when have you ever seen Hawk lower his shoulder and punish a ball carrier? That is what this defense is really going to miss this year from losing Bishop.

Well the only two major changes in our D so far this year are Bishop gone and Peprah for Jennings/McMillan.

We have gone from 411.6 ypg to 261.0 ypg and
22.4 ppg to 18.0 ppg.

So without Bishop we are 150 yards and 4.4 point per game better.

Patler
09-26-2012, 02:39 PM
YSeriously when have you ever seen Hawk lower his shoulder and punish a ball carrier?

Latest example, Monday night, coming laterally toward the sideline, he lowered his shoulder, hit the ball carrier, wrapped up and drove through the ball carrier. Stopped him dead in his tracks. But in all honesty he has had at least one good solid hit like that in each game so far. It is what prompted me to start this topic, because it has been very un-Hawk-like.

Brandon494
09-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Well the only two major changes in our D so far this year are Bishop gone and Peprah for Jennings/McMillan.

We have gone from 411.6 ypg to 261.0 ypg and
22.4 ppg to 18.0 ppg.

So without Bishop we are 150 yards and 4.4 point per game better.

LMAO we have six different rookies contributing on defense and all six have made an impact so far this season. You can't be serious with that comment that our defense is better without Bishop by comparing 3 games to all of last season.

King Friday
09-26-2012, 07:18 PM
I think we can trace it back to this...

A.J. Hawk decides to start popping the hell out of people...starting with this guy (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/01/a-j-hawk-knocks-some-guy-into-a-pond/)

Deputy Nutz
09-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Hawk is playing more aggressive and attacking the line of scrimmage instead of just catching ball carriers and offensive linemen. He isn't worried about getting into his drops quickly. He seems faster at diagnosing the play, and he is showing quickness from sideline to sideline.

That is what I am seeing during the games. I think having come out on Dime is also a big plus to the rest of his game. Part of the improvement in the defense is playing teams that are known to rely more on the run. and implementing a conservative game plan.

mission
09-26-2012, 07:55 PM
I honestly really like Hawk this year. Actually typed "love" but decided I'd still like to see some turnovers and the like from him. But if it doesn't happen and he keeps playing like this... it's kind of a contract year even though he has one. It's been said we're going to cut him after this season but he's making it hard to think like that.

Definitely should have lost weight a long time ago.

Smidgeon
09-27-2012, 10:30 AM
I honestly really like Hawk this year. Actually typed "love" but decided I'd still like to see some turnovers and the like from him. But if it doesn't happen and he keeps playing like this... it's kind of a contract year even though he has one. It's been said we're going to cut him after this season but he's making it hard to think like that.

Definitely should have lost weight a long time ago.

He's definitely had a hit or two where he demolished the ball carrier and wrapped up. Now if he'd been doing that from year one instead of year seven or eight...

Zool
09-27-2012, 11:30 AM
I'd like to see him stop over pursuing in the running lanes. Then I'll say he's playing well this year.

mmmdk
09-27-2012, 11:41 AM
I'd like to see him stop over pursuing in the running lanes. Then I'll say he's playing well this year.

Sure and congrats with post # 8000 !

mraynrand
09-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Hawk is playing more aggressive and attacking the line of scrimmage instead of just catching ball carriers and offensive linemen. He isn't worried about getting into his drops quickly. He seems faster at diagnosing the play, and he is showing quickness from sideline to sideline.

That is what I am seeing during the games. I think having come out on Dime is also a big plus to the rest of his game. Part of the improvement in the defense is playing teams that are known to rely more on the run. and implementing a conservative game plan.

yup

run pMc
09-27-2012, 12:07 PM
You forgot about Nick Perry.

Hawk is off to a better year -- so far. Then again, last season was historically bad for GB's D. Agree he shouldn't be in the dime D, and it's nice to see him blow up guys. If he plays more like he did in 2010 then there will be less Haterade drinkers.

I suspect improvements elsewhere have something to do with his play: subbing in Worthy, Daniels, Merling, etc. has to help Raji, Pickett, etc. play better which affects the LBs. Not sure if/how Bishop's injury has affected his responsibilities. Capers has made some other changes to the defense that are helping. For a rookie from a small school, McMillian hasn't embarrassed himself, and is a better athlete than Peprah. Finally, SF, CHI, and SEA aren't exactly offensive powerhouses. NO will be a good test.

Hawk is never going to be a flashy, 12 sacks, 4 Ints kind of LB. He is what he is...smart, consistent, team player, doesn't get hurt. In many ways, he's like an anti-Merriman.

Hawk is also overpaid, but with Bishop's injury his roster spot is certainly safe this year.

ThunderDan
09-27-2012, 02:23 PM
You forgot about Nick Perry.

Hawk is off to a better year -- so far. Then again, last season was historically bad for GB's D. Agree he shouldn't be in the dime D, and it's nice to see him blow up guys. If he plays more like he did in 2010 then there will be less Haterade drinkers.

I suspect improvements elsewhere have something to do with his play: subbing in Worthy, Daniels, Merling, etc. has to help Raji, Pickett, etc. play better which affects the LBs. Not sure if/how Bishop's injury has affected his responsibilities. Capers has made some other changes to the defense that are helping. For a rookie from a small school, McMillian hasn't embarrassed himself, and is a better athlete than Peprah. Finally, SF, CHI, and SEA aren't exactly offensive powerhouses. NO will be a good test.

Hawk is never going to be a flashy, 12 sacks, 4 Ints kind of LB. He is what he is...smart, consistent, team player, doesn't get hurt. In many ways, he's like an anti-Merriman.

Hawk is also overpaid, but with Bishop's injury his roster spot is certainly safe this year.

After Walden was back from suspension Perry has been a situation player.

Yes I am busting Brandon's balls and his Hawk hate. Last year you could pick almost anyone on our D and they had a bad year.

I just went thru the last 5 years of NFL stats and your assumption of 12 sacks 4 INT players doesn't exist.

Here are the players that had 8 or more sacks and 3 or more INTs in the last 5 years:

No one

The closest stat I can find is 8 or more sacks and more than 1 INT in the last 5 years to find any one. They are:

2011 T Suggs 14sacks 2 INTs
2010 J Allen 11s 2 INTs
2010 J Harrison 10.5s 2 INTs
2010 L Woodley 10s 2 INTs
2010 J Peppers 8s 2 INTs
2009 J Peppers 10.5s 2 INTs
2008 T Suggs 8s 2 INTs
2007 J Peterson 11s 2 INTs
2007 S Phillips 8.5s 2 INTs

Brandon494
09-27-2012, 04:14 PM
After Walden was back from suspension Perry has been a situation player.

Yes I am busting Brandon's balls and his Hawk hate. Last year you could pick almost anyone on our D and they had a bad year.

I just went thru the last 5 years of NFL stats and your assumption of 12 sacks 4 INT players doesn't exist.

Here are the players that had 8 or more sacks and 3 or more INTs in the last 5 years:

No one

The closest stat I can find is 8 or more sacks and more than 1 INT in the last 5 years to find any one. They are:

2011 T Suggs 14sacks 2 INTs
2010 J Allen 11s 2 INTs
2010 J Harrison 10.5s 2 INTs
2010 L Woodley 10s 2 INTs
2010 J Peppers 8s 2 INTs
2009 J Peppers 10.5s 2 INTs
2008 T Suggs 8s 2 INTs
2007 J Peterson 11s 2 INTs
2007 S Phillips 8.5s 2 INTs

All those guys are OLBs/DEs, not one plays the same position as Hawk.

BTW go look up the SF MLBs Patrick Willis and Ahmad Brooks, both of them surpass that. I'm sure I could find more but I'm just too lazy to do so.

ThunderDan
09-27-2012, 04:36 PM
All those guys are OLBs/DEs, not one plays the same position as Hawk.

BTW go look up the SF MLBs Patrick Willis and Ahmad Brooks, both of them surpass that. I'm sure I could find more but I'm just too lazy to do so.

Patrick Willis's (per the NFL site) best sack year is 6 in 2010. :lol:
Ahmad Brooks has one career INT. How could he have two or more in one season? :lol:
Ahmad Brooks has never had more than 7 sacks in one year? :lol:

You're an idiot. The two people you know for sure didn't come close.

Brandon494
09-27-2012, 04:49 PM
My fault I thought you meant over a 5 year period but at least I compared him to players of the same position and my dick is bigger! I WIN! :bump:

MJZiggy
09-27-2012, 07:50 PM
My fault I thought you meant over a 5 year period but at least I compared him to players of the same position and my dick is bigger! I WIN! :bump:

Maybe, but I got bigger ballz than all y'all.

ND72
09-27-2012, 09:23 PM
I've been enjoying his play. Those who have been on here or JSO long enough to know me know my thoughts on AJ.

George Cumby
09-27-2012, 10:13 PM
I've been enjoying his play. Those who have been on here or JSO long enough to know me know my thoughts on AJ.

Put that thing away. :-P

Fritz
09-28-2012, 08:14 AM
It's the penis-enlargement pills that have gotten him (and his wife) excited again.

denverYooper
09-28-2012, 11:22 AM
It's the penis-enlargement pills that have gotten him (and his wife) excited again.

Or maybe he tried the one weird trick.

pbmax
09-29-2012, 10:07 AM

I don't know how AJ could stand for the given name Bob, but if you say so.

Bretsky
09-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Looking at the big picture so many of you are missing, it's very clear to me that AJ's wife found another hottie to join in on the fun as well as some Grailistic fun
That will bring out the best in any man and propel him to the next level

rbaloha1
09-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Hawk is playing well. Finally playing with some recklessness. Exploding into gaps.

run pMc
10-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Always nice to enjoy the dick jokes on a Monday morning, thanks.

No one

I was actually exaggerating to make a point: Hawk just does his job, he's not flashy and (aside from tackles) doesn't rack up a lot of stats. He's not a SportsCenter highlights kind of player...being a high R1 pick people hate him for this. For a while drafting Hawk over Vernon Davis looked like a very good idea, now not so much. At this point in his career I think it's fair to look past the draft status and be glad he's on the roster -- I don't think Terrell Manning or Brad Jones is better at this point, and with Bishop on IR they need a solid veteran pro in there to help out D.J. Smith.

I still think he's overpaid and bad at blitzing, but GB doesn't have many other (better) options at ILB.

I'm still hating on the referees and Graham Harrell's fumble this morning, anyway.

pbmax
10-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Looking at the big picture so many of you are missing, it's very clear to me that AJ's wife found another hottie to join in on the fun as well as some Grailistic fun
That will bring out the best in any man and propel him to the next level

Don't want to be a buzzkill B, but he's clearly mad about something. So perhaps he just gets to watch or hear reports afterwards.

Or its another guy.