PDA

View Full Version : Packers to go on strike?

Brando19
09-25-2012, 08:34 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/25/lang-says-packers-discussed-extreme-measures-on-flight-home/

WOW! What if the Packers really do take a knee on every snap? That would send a HUGE message! I don't see it happening and I know they were pissed off on the flight home, but something like this is what needs to happen.

red
09-25-2012, 08:58 PM
i've bled green and gold since the moment i was born and my whole life revolves around the packer season

with that said, it would fill me with pride if the team went on strike to make a statement. as mush as i would miss watching them play, it would be worse worring about another cluster fuck happening like last night.

i say do it, something needs to be done

Brandon494
09-25-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm sorry but that's a stupid idea, we got the shaft but time to move on and put that BS game behind us.

Brando19
09-25-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm torn....I think it would be so cool if they made a statement and took a knee every down, but at the same time I don't want a season to slip away when we're primed for a Super Bowl run the next few years.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Did TJ Lang and the oline already decide to go on strike before the game?

mraynrand
09-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Did TJ Lang and the oline already decide to go on strike before the game?

At least Bulaga did! repped.

mraynrand
09-25-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm sorry but that's a stupid idea, we got the shaft but time to move on and put that BS game behind us.

agree. The only way this works is if the entire NFL takes a knee on every snap. Have all the games end as 0-0 ties with all kneel downs. The Packers 'striking' on their own just hurts them.

They had better snap out of it and get ready for NO, or the whole season goes in the shitter. Huge test for Stubby here, getting the team ready.

mmmdk
09-25-2012, 09:19 PM
I don't know but let's beat the crap out of Goodell while we contemplate the strike notion thing.

denverYooper
09-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Maybe if they got the Saints on board. Brees hates the NFL right now too.

George Cumby
09-25-2012, 09:30 PM

Right.

Had the Pack done a few other things right, it wouldn't have come down to that goat-fuck of a call.

Time for the team to rally, get resolved, put some steel in their spine and kick ass for the rest of the season just to shove it up Goodell's ginger rimmed anal vault.

mmmdk
09-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Maybe if they got the Saints on board. Brees hates the NFL right now too.

I could settle for a tie with Saints; season fucked anyway.

Harlan Huckleby
09-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Well, the players aren't going to go on strike.

Laugh if you will, but I think it is possible to organize a one-weekend, fan boycott of the NFL. Pick a weekend about 3 weeks from now, get some publicity from talk radio rolling. The hard part would be generating a little publicity that gets picked up by a national media outlet. Then I truly believe it could provide some pressure on the NFL to at least settle the strike.

Guiness
09-25-2012, 09:59 PM
If they did it say, on the first offensive series that would be quite a statement without killing them

rbaloha1
09-25-2012, 10:03 PM
I like the idea.

Joemailman
09-25-2012, 10:05 PM
agree. The only way this works is if the entire NFL takes a knee on every snap.

For a whole game? The OL facing Tampa Bay would get the shit beat out of them.

King Friday
09-25-2012, 10:08 PM
If the Packers want to make a statement, tell the fans to NOT WATCH THE GAMES.

Listen on the radio...but make the TV ratings PLUNGE.

That is the NFL's golden goose. If the fans threaten that, the league will listen.

MJZiggy
09-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Actually the NFLPA may solve the problem. They have made a statement saying that if these replacement officials continue to disregard player safety, allow games to get out of control and have cheap shots going unflagged (therefore encouraging cheap shots), then players may seek remedy.

Willard
09-25-2012, 11:46 PM
[QUOTE=mraynrand;687181)
They had better snap out of it and get ready for NO, or the whole season goes in the shitter. Huge test for Stubby here, getting the team ready.[/QUOTE]

I think MM needs to take the team back to the shooting range for some good ol fashioned stress relief.

LEWCWA
09-25-2012, 11:58 PM

What position do play?

Brandon494
09-26-2012, 12:03 AM
What position do play?

Nice input smart ass, did you see that one tweet?

VegasPackFan
09-26-2012, 02:40 AM
We all know that Breese has been one of the most vocal and high profile players to criticize the NFL and Gooddell. I would LOVE IT if the two teams got together and agreed to do only kneel downs for each 1st possession. Then play the game. Hell, the whole league could do that. It takes an act of courage to do this sort of thing, but such is the substance of legend......

Packers4Glory
09-26-2012, 07:55 AM
Right.

Had the Pack done a few other things right, it wouldn't have come down to that goat-fuck of a call.

Time for the team to rally, get resolved, put some steel in their spine and kick ass for the rest of the season just to shove it up Goodell's ginger rimmed anal vault.

BUT they did enough right to actually win the fucking game.

Sure the O-line had a rough night, but part of that is their defense. Part of it is stupid play calling. Neither of which change the fact that they adjusted at the half and did enough to win on the road against a team that's a playoff contender.

coulda shoulda woulda's are always the difference in wining, losing, and blowing someone out by more than 2 scores.

mraynrand
09-26-2012, 08:09 AM
We all know that Breese has been one of the most vocal and high profile players to criticize the NFL and Gooddell. I would LOVE IT if the two teams got together and agreed to do only kneel downs for each 1st possession. Then play the game. Hell, the whole league could do that. It takes an act of courage to do this sort of thing, but such is the substance of legend......

This is a pretty good idea.

Iron Mike
09-26-2012, 08:10 AM

I would much rather view the scenario unfold in which Seattle winds up in GB for a playoff game at the end of this season.

George Cumby
09-26-2012, 08:13 AM

This is a great idea. If all 32 teams did that? That would be amazing.......

Now, back to reality.

denverYooper
09-26-2012, 09:12 AM
BUT they did enough right to actually win the fucking game.

Sure the O-line had a rough night, but part of that is their defense. Part of it is stupid play calling. Neither of which change the fact that they adjusted at the half and did enough to win on the road against a team that's a playoff contender.

coulda shoulda woulda's are always the difference in wining, losing, and blowing someone out by more than 2 scores.

Thank you!

The idea that they deserved to lose because they let the game stay close is just wrong. Most games are won by 1 score or less.

And the fact that the Seahawks got 8 sacks in the first half is not an excuse for the call being ok either. I hear people saying "but they got 8 sacks in the first half". So what!? They did. And then Green Bay came out and flat out dominated the second half. Seattle couldn't get anywhere without the help of questionable penalties in the 2nd half. Their first first down of the second half came on the roughing call against Walden. They got 2 chances at the end of the game because of shitty penalties. They had Seattle pinned back in a first and 30 that got wiped out because of the ridiculous call against Shields. Ok, so he had a tiny bit of jersey but he was getting accosted!

That leads me to another idea: do these refs know OPI? Because it sure seems like they didn't on Monday night.

denverYooper
09-26-2012, 09:14 AM

I would love it. And maybe they threaten to kneel down 1 extra series each week until the dispute gets resolved. I could see Rodgers and Brees working this out but it might be hard to get some other teams on board.

mraynrand
09-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Thank you!

The idea that they deserved to lose because they let the game stay close is just wrong. Most games are won by 1 score or less.

Except by Stubby, who can't win close games!

denverYooper
09-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Except by Stubby, who can't win close games!

Oh shit. I forgot about that proviso. The McStub clause of game management.

mmmdk
09-26-2012, 09:25 AM

This could work! :tup:

mmmdk
09-26-2012, 09:28 AM
I would much rather view the scenario unfold in which Seattle winds up in GB for a playoff game at the end of this season.

I don't know...Sealiars don't deserve a playoff game!

Smidgeon
09-26-2012, 10:39 AM

I would much rather view the scenario unfold in which Seattle gets cursed and can't win another game as long as either Tate or Carroll is in the NFL and the Packers start rolling like 2011 and 2010 combined.

sharpe1027
09-26-2012, 10:52 AM
There's a simpler answer that would work better. Don't watch. If you choose to watch, that's fine, but be aware that you are sending a clear message to the NFL by doing so.

Little Whiskey
09-26-2012, 09:00 PM
if the teams decide to throw games who does it really hurt? the billionare owner? or the fan who paid for his season tix and PSL's?

Owners will still make there money. the TV contract is done, the tickets have already been sold. Goodell is taking alot of heat for this (which is desereved) but he works for the owners. they are the assholes that help keep this lockout going. Goodell is just the united face of the owners.

A way to hurt the owners is to avoid buying merchandise and conssesions at the games.

MJZiggy
09-26-2012, 09:09 PM
if the teams decide to throw games who does it really hurt? the billionare owner? or the fan who paid for his season tix and PSL's?

Owners will still make there money. the TV contract is done, the tickets have already been sold. Goodell is taking alot of heat for this (which is desereved) but he works for the owners. they are the assholes that help keep this lockout going. Goodell is just the united face of the owners.

A way to hurt the owners is to avoid buying merchandise and conssesions at the games.

Another way is to stay home if you haven't bought tix yet, but to continue to show the Packer love, take the money you would have spent and donate it to the player foundations and charities instead. I know Jennings has one, Tausch at least used to have a literacy foundation and Driver is fighting homelessness. I haven't talked to Driver's mom in quite a while. I bet she'd appreciate a check...

ThunderDan
09-26-2012, 09:13 PM

The real way to hurt the owners is not to watch the games on TV. Ticket sales and all the other game day hoopla don't come close to the money made on TV.

The Packers had $302M in 2011 revenue and $282M in 2010. Of that revenue only about $43M is from ticket sales. The largest chunk is TV and merchandising.

Little Whiskey
09-26-2012, 09:17 PM
But that multi year deal is already done. and how many of us are included on the nelson ratings?

MJZiggy
09-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Here's the thing: I know every Packer game from here to eternity is sold out. Not necessarily so for other teams. If it ain't sold out, don't buy the ticket and they have to black it out. If they televise nationally there will be enough empty seats to make it look like a baseball game.

ThunderDan
09-26-2012, 11:12 PM
But that multi year deal is already done. and how many of us are included on the nelson ratings?

The issue is if ratings drop enough Pepsi, Coke, Miller Lite, Budwiser, etc. will drop their ad buys. If the networks can't sell the advertising they aren't going to be able to afford what they are paying the NFL the next time the contacts come around. Let's be honest, a game takes 3 hours and 15 minutes to watch and the clock is running for only 60 minutes. What are we watching for the other 2 hours and 15 minutes?

This is definately a long ball strategy. It would be great to stop their revenue stream right now but I don't see that happening unless viewership numbers drop significantly.