PDA

View Full Version : HAILMARY

packers11
09-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Happened twice in two years. I'm not sure of the odds but this shit is not supposed to happen.

I know last night was highway robbery but... How about two different strategies...

1) Put JF #88 in the back. He's 6`5/6`6... He can out jump anyone. A lot of teams use big WR's (Moss back in the day) on last plays.

2)Bring a corner / linebacker delayed blitz (4 total - not this rush 3 bullshit). Eli Manning and Russell Wilson ran around for about 5-8 seconds before heaving it up.

I know last night's Hailmary was played perfectly by the defense, but in hindsight, none of our defensive backs are tall to begin with.

Thoughts?

Brandon494
09-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Twice in the last 4 games. :-x

Brandon494
09-25-2012, 10:49 PM
BTW we don't need to change anything, it wasn't a catch and a PI on top of that.

Joemailman
09-25-2012, 10:58 PM
The play only worked because Seattle got away with a penalty that took out 2 Packer DB's. Shields got pushed into the legs of Jarrett Bush, also taking Bush out of the play. Tate is only 5"10", so it's not like height was an issue.

Guiness
09-25-2012, 11:16 PM
OP has a point though. You know it's a hail mary, PI is off the board, why not have a hands team out there? A couple TE's, JF and DJ to outmuscle the WRs seems like a good idea. Not sure why we don't see it done in practice.

HarveyWallbangers
09-25-2012, 11:30 PM
They would have been stupid to have offensive players in the game. It would be different if Seattle was at the 50 or their half of the field, but they were on the 24 yard line. Imagine Finley and the likes trying to cover a quick seam route from 24 yards out. It turned into a hail mary because Wilson backtracked and threw across the field.

Freak Out
09-25-2012, 11:40 PM
The only thing that could have been done differently was to bat the fucker down.

mraynrand
09-26-2012, 08:22 AM
I'm fine with what happened. If our Defense intercepts every Hail Mary going forward, I will be pleased.

MTPackerfan
09-26-2012, 01:31 PM
i wondered why they didn't have a fourth rusher who waited until the initial scrum got done and then could chase down QB when he got into open field. at least would have rushed his throw.

sharpe1027
09-26-2012, 01:49 PM
The only thing that could have been done differently was to bat the fucker down.

Tell that to Tennessee.

mraynrand
09-26-2012, 01:54 PM
i wondered why they didn't have a fourth rusher who waited until the initial scrum got done and then could chase down QB when he got into open field. at least would have rushed his throw.

Why didn't Von Hindenburg kill Hitler when he had the chance?

OS PA
09-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Another issue with putting offensive players out there on defense is the offense in turn running a screen play. You don't want to see starting wrs and tightends being blocked at full speed by offensive lineman. I was actually more afraid of beast mode on that last play than I was of the Inaccurate Reception.

channtheman
09-26-2012, 03:11 PM
If you're also a Badgers fan, this shit has happened 4 times in less than 2 full seasons. What in the fuck are the odds of that?

hoosier
09-26-2012, 07:56 PM

On the replay it looked like things got too crowded for that. If the defender tries to bat it down, he might well bat it right into a receiver's arms.

Guiness
09-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Another issue with putting offensive players out there on defense is the offense in turn running a screen play. You don't want to see starting wrs and tightends being blocked at full speed by offensive lineman. I was actually more afraid of beast mode on that last play than I was of the Inaccurate Reception.

Ya, you are all correct that the distance was too close to put WR's out there. I was only thinking of the Hail Mary, not that he ran around for a while back there and a lot of other things could have happened.

LegandofthePack15
09-27-2012, 05:23 AM
In poker, if you dwell on a bad beat, you're gonna end up tilting and making irrational decisions. The Packers need to move on from the Seattle Screwjob. Time to move FORWARD, as the Obama slogan so eloquently states.

Bretsky
09-27-2012, 06:13 AM
If you're also a Badgers fan, this shit has happened 4 times in less than 2 full seasons. What in the fuck are the odds of that?

yup

mraynrand
09-27-2012, 08:48 AM
In poker, if you dwell on a bad beat, you're gonna end up tilting and making irrational decisions. The Packers need to move on from the Seattle Screwjob. Time to move FORWARD, as the Obama slogan so eloquently states.

Indeed, you don't want to dwell on the horror of the recent past.

mmmdk
09-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Why didn't Von Hindenburg kill Hitler when he had the chance?

Nixon prevented Von Hindenburg from being a hero! Ahru!