PDA

View Full Version : Sam Shields is the 2nd best CB in the League

mission
09-26-2012, 07:53 PM
OK, shock value, I know... but maybe not far off. Am I crazy for thinking he's a top 10-15 CB??

Did you know he's only given up two receptions in 71 pass attempts. The second best rate in the league behind Nnamdi.

Also did you know that one of those catches is ... is ... from Monday night, last play of the game? According to PFF, that was against Shields. So.... he's really only given up one reception.

Kid is playing great. I've been saying for a year that he was our best corner last year all tackling aside. Nice to see the word getting out. He's been shutdown and very aggressive tackling.

HarveyWallbangers
09-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Agreed. I liked what I saw in the last two preseason games. One of the reasons I'm encouraged about this team--along with some fresh faces in the front 7 and McMillian,

Harlan Huckleby
09-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Plenty to be excited about on the defense. I actually don't mind punting to the other team now.

Joemailman
09-26-2012, 08:27 PM
You have to respect Shields for the way he's handled things this year. He was demoted based on last year's performance, and got off to a poor start in training camp. He hung in there and now he's playing as well as anyone in the secondary. Hope getting victimized by 2 horrible calls Monday Night doesn't affect him negatively.

BZnDallas
09-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Plenty to be excited about on the defense. I actually don't mind punting to the other team now.

THIS!!!

I of course, always want our offense to score a TD with every possession... but in the event that I see Masthay (sp?) running out onto the field, I dont seem to get that feeling in the pit of my stomach every time... and speaking of our punter, does he have a top 5 big leg in the league? the guy drop bombs!

heres to the infusion of talent, and the progression of another offseason... lets get this offense on track and see what we got in this team... :smack:

denverYooper
09-27-2012, 09:43 AM

Or a deep sense of dread every time they get to 3rd and long.

pbmax
09-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Or a deep sense of dread every time they get to 3rd and long.

That is the worst. Instead of wondering where the offense will get the ball, you wonder which part of the D will breakdown this time.

sharpe1027
09-27-2012, 11:00 AM
I think Shields has settled down and is getting the job done at a high level. I don't think you can begin to talk about top 10 material until he does it for more than a three games.

To me, the great thing is that Shields' good play is being complemented well by Hayward, who is playing like a veteran. I also like McMillian's aggression and athleticism, but I worry he's going to cost us some plays with rookie mistakes. There were a few times that he seemed a bit turned around.

denverYooper
09-27-2012, 11:28 AM
That is the worst. Instead of wondering where the offense will get the ball, you wonder which part of the D will breakdown this time.

The first few times that they tackled someone before the sticks, I could barely believe it.

mraynrand
09-27-2012, 11:55 AM
I see some similarities with this defense and the '81 49ers. Minus Ray Rhodes, of course...

Smidgeon
09-27-2012, 01:35 PM
I think Shields has settled down and is getting the job done at a high level. I don't think you can begin to talk about top 10 material until he does it for more than a three games.

To me, the great thing is that Shields' good play is being complemented well by Hayward, who is playing like a veteran. I also like McMillian's aggression and athleticism, but I worry he's going to cost us some plays with rookie mistakes. There were a few times that he seemed a bit turned around.

Maybe. But did you see his pass defense? He didn't need to be draped over the guy to make the play. I like the kid and think he'll be good for a long time.

sharpe1027
09-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Maybe. But did you see his pass defense? He didn't need to be draped over the guy to make the play. I like the kid and think he'll be good for a long time.

Yep, he just looks a little raw at times (but is good for a rookie). Hayward, on the other hand, just looks solid.

Brandon494
09-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Lets look back a few weeks ago to the fans who thought Shields wouldn't even make the team. :crazy:

sharpe1027
09-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Lets look back a few weeks ago to the fans who thought Shields wouldn't even make the team. :crazy:

To be fair to those fans, just because he's doing well now that does not mean he was doing well during training camp. Plenty of players have been cut, only to resurface somewhere else and do well.

Joemailman
09-27-2012, 04:13 PM

I hear ya. Where would we be without Shields and Hawk? ;)

Brandon494
09-27-2012, 04:23 PM
To be fair to those fans, just because he's doing well now that does not mean he was doing well during training camp. Plenty of players have been cut, only to resurface somewhere else and do well.

Shields and House were two of the best CBs during camp, people were just so focused on Bush being ahead of him on the depth chart and having flash backs of his weak tackling last season. Anyone who thought this kid would be cut had no clue what they were talking about.

Brandon494
09-27-2012, 04:24 PM
I hear ya. Where would we be without Shields and Hawk? ;)

I don't know but we would be 2-1 without the replacement refs. :doh:

Joemailman
09-27-2012, 04:29 PM
I don't know but we would be 2-1 without the replacement refs. :doh:

Our long national nightmare is over.

mission
09-27-2012, 07:57 PM
It's not three games, Shields was the best Packer CB the second half of last season.

Only thing I'm surprised about is how physical he's been for his frame.

mission
09-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Shields and House were two of the best CBs during camp, people were just so focused on Bush being ahead of him on the depth chart and having flash backs of his weak tackling last season. Anyone who thought this kid would be cut had no clue what they were talking about.

The depth chart thing was just about tackling and to light a fire on his ass. They know the talent he has is off the charts and they had to find a way to get home to him. Guarantee coaches/personnel peeps never even thought for a second about cutting him.

Pugger
09-27-2012, 08:01 PM
THIS!!!

I of course, always want our offense to score a TD with every possession... but in the event that I see Masthay (sp?) running out onto the field, I dont seem to get that feeling in the pit of my stomach every time... and speaking of our punter, does he have a top 5 big leg in the league? the guy drop bombs!

heres to the infusion of talent, and the progression of another offseason... lets get this offense on track and see what we got in this team... :smack:

Seeing how atrocious New Orleans' D is they just might be what the doctor ordered for our offense to start clicking again.

pbmax
09-27-2012, 09:19 PM

I think Mish makes a good point about Shields last season that was lost in the debacle of Williams and Collins injuries and Shields own tackling. His coverage ticked up late, though my memory might remember that as the positive of picking on Tramontana.

But Shields had multiple injuries in camp this year, missed time and had some bad practices coming off those injuries. He started making a push right when he came back from the last one, probably was healthy enough, or worried enough. With House hurt, he might have had the best CB camp in the last week or so.

Bretsky
09-27-2012, 09:41 PM

I must've missed that; I don't recall anybody predicting Shields would get cut

Joemailman
09-27-2012, 09:43 PM

Somebody did, but I don't remember who, or what thread. So, I guess they get a reprieve.

pbmax
09-27-2012, 09:56 PM

Yeah, he was called off during an injury then bad practice and House's ascension, Bush working with the #1s and Hayward's being safe as a draft pick. It wasn't long lived once he came back to practice full time.

KYPack
09-29-2012, 08:15 AM
Yeah, he was called off during an injury then bad practice and House's ascension, Bush working with the #1s and Hayward's being safe as a draft pick. It wasn't long lived once he came back to practice full time.

Shields has rebounded from his Soph slump.

Couple things I've noticed:

He is much more mentally tough about his fundamentals (or maybe learning his fundamentals). Better hands and using proper footwork.

He's making much better decisions hence he is now in position to make good tackles. Every corner has to make a quick decision and then commit himself. Sam was trying to make too many plays on the ball and then found himself "halfway". When you do that, your tackling really suffers. Now he's making sure of his positioning so he can defend the pass and make a good hit on the reciever.

This is probably a result of some good coaching from Joe Whitt and the secondary coaches.

Teamcheez1
09-29-2012, 09:45 AM
I wonder what the Packers plans are for Davon House? He has been rehabbing the injury for almost 8 weeks now. We don't know what work, if any, he may be receiving in practice.

On the injury report he is now listed as questionable. Does this mean (in coachspeak) they don't expect him back for another month or longer? My best hope is that he hits the field in October or I'm not sure why we would keep him on the active roster, except for a possible insurance policy against another corner injury. Of course an 80% House may be better than a 100% Bush.

rbaloha1
09-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Somebody did, but I don't remember who, or what thread. So, I guess they get a reprieve.

Not specifically getting cut but needed to step-up play or SS was in jeopardy of getting cut. Lets not forget Bush started as the #1 due to SS's poor play. House overtook Bush.

This is all a distant memory. SS appears bigger and more confident. Its nice SS is throwing around his body somewhat like Bush.

PA Pack Fan
09-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Shields got his jock handed to him today.

Fred's Slacks
09-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Shields got his jock handed to him today.

I agree and was suprised Colston was able to make him look bad. Colston is good but he's not an elite athlete (relatively by NFL standards of course). Shields couldn't seem to cover him. Brees was making some ridiculous throws, so that might have made it look worse than it was.

pbmax
09-30-2012, 09:14 PM
I don't know how this team, after four years in the system can be so bad at playing zone techniques. As for why Shields kept losing people over the middle, I am not sure.

Bretsky
09-30-2012, 10:55 PM
I was at the game today and noticed a few times when Shields was not in proper position when the ball was snapped. It made me sick to be honest. Once in the 4th I pointed out to my wife Shields started on the wrong side and then was sprinting over by Colston when the play started. Essentially he was two steps behind and Brees saw this as well and hit a wide open Colston. Shields is greatly improved but not nearly as good as this thread makes him out to be. He's a decent starting CB

Pugger
10-01-2012, 06:27 AM
I don't know how this team, after four years in the system can be so bad at playing zone techniques. As for why Shields kept losing people over the middle, I am not sure.

He's not the only one back there losing people...

Pugger
10-01-2012, 06:28 AM
Having zero pass rush yet again is killing us too. It felt like it was Ground Hog Day = 2011 all over again.

Patler
10-01-2012, 08:13 AM
I was at the game today and noticed a few times when Shields was not in proper position when the ball was snapped. It made me sick to be honest. Once in the 4th I pointed out to my wife Shields started on the wrong side and then was sprinting over by Colston when the play started. Essentially he was two steps behind and Brees saw this as well and hit a wide open Colston. Shields is greatly improved but not nearly as good as this thread makes him out to be. He's a decent starting CB

I would say his inconsistencies in understanding and technique make him an inadequate starter, but decent player in 5 & 6 DB formations. The Packers need House to get on the field and take that starting spot away from Shields.

KYPack
10-01-2012, 08:16 AM

You got it B-Man.

His technique (refers to your pre-snap positioning) was awful on Sunday. Get your ass in position, feet set and hands up, ready to use 'em.

On the TD, he committed several mortal sins. He had poor, half-ass technique. Then he peeked in the backfield and gave up his cover (why, I don't know). In that coverage, you get your read and then cover and run with the WR until your fucking shoes fall off.

Sam's got all the physical talent in the world. But until he gets mentally tough about the job, he'll be an iffy type guy. Somebody you can't depend on.

Patler
10-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Having zero pass rush yet again is killing us too. It felt like it was Ground Hog Day = 2011 all over again.

How was there zero pass rush? Didn't Matthews and Wilson both have sacks? I thought there was adequate pressure for what they were trying to do, which for most of the game was play coverage without a lot of emphasis on the pass rush, rushing just three or four.

denverYooper
10-01-2012, 11:05 AM
How was there zero pass rush? Didn't Matthews and Wilson both have sacks? I thought there was adequate pressure for what they were trying to do, which for most of the game was play coverage without a lot of emphasis on the pass rush, rushing just three or four.

Wilson might be a guy to keep an eye on. He's in his 3rd year, has always been available, and, by many accounts works very hard. He put up some pretty good sack numbers in college, so there is reason to believe that he might yet be effective rushing the passer as well as in run support. Year 3/4 is when it is not unusual for "these" guys to make a jump.

George Cumby
10-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Wilson might be a guy to keep an eye on. He's in his 3rd year, has always been available, and, by many accounts works very hard. He put up some pretty good sack numbers in college, so there is reason to believe that he might yet be effective rushing the passer as well as in run support. Year 3/4 is when it is not unusual for "these" guys to make a jump.

That sack of his after blowing through the left guard was pretty proud. Now if he could do that a little more consistently.....

LEWCWA
10-01-2012, 01:14 PM
This team can't play zone. Why I don't know. Sometimes it looks like everyone isn't on the same page, other times I don't think lb'ers get enough depth and give up passes in the soft part of the zone.

Brandon494
10-01-2012, 02:14 PM

Besides that one sack he had Matthews was held in check all day even with one on one blocking. Both O-line played well yesterday, Rodgers and Brees both had a lot of time in the pocket to throw the ball. As for Shields yea he had a bad game but its still was against one of the best passing teams in the league. He was on fire the first three games, I'm not going to throw him under the buss quite yet.

Zool
10-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Besides that one sack he had Matthews was held in check all day even with one on one blocking. Both O-line played well yesterday, Rodgers and Brees both had a lot of time in the pocket to throw the ball. As for Shields yea he had a bad game but its still was against one of the best passing teams in the league. He was on fire the first TWO games, I'm not going to throw him under the buss quite yet.

He was lighting the bench on fire against the 49ers

Brandon494
10-01-2012, 02:32 PM
He was lighting the bench on fire against the 49ers

You are right, still amazing me we actually gave Bush a shot at starting. :shock:

Zool
10-01-2012, 02:44 PM
You are right, still amazing me we actually gave Bush a shot at starting. :shock:

When Shields is put in perspective against Bush....wow does he look good.

KYPack
10-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Besides that one sack he had Matthews was held in check all day even with one on one blocking. Both O-line played well yesterday, Rodgers and Brees both had a lot of time in the pocket to throw the ball. As for Shields yea he had a bad game but its still was against one of the best passing teams in the league. He was on fire the first three games, I'm not going to throw him under the buss quite yet.

Sam is playing his way under the bus.

He needs to look at Hayward.

That kid is assignment sure. Sam freaks out and breaks concentration too much.

That's why he got that little phone call after the TD.

pbmax
10-01-2012, 03:28 PM
M3 said they stopped using Dollar package, partially because Jennings was out but mainly because at one point they were 0-7 or 1-8 on the downs they used it.

Also, said MD Jennings had radio in helmet. Which seems odd, but thought that whoever got the radio next (Burnett, McMillan?) would not have been as comfortable relaying signals off it and might have contributed to late or confused calls.

I thought Hawk and Burnett would have had the radios?

RashanGary
10-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Sam is playing his way under the bus.

He needs to look at Hayward.

That kid is assignment sure. Sam freaks out and breaks concentration too much.

That's why he got that little phone call after the TD.

He seems to really struggle in zone coverage. Hayward, on the other hand, seems to get it. If the Packers were squarely a man team (like they were for the most part in 2010) Shields would be great. Put him in zone, put some grey area in there, and he's not very good.

I think we could see Shields replaced by House, and Hayward next off the bench. We need DB's who can play both types of coverage.

rbaloha1
10-01-2012, 07:22 PM
SS is either glue or a stretched rubber band.

mission
10-01-2012, 09:32 PM
I was pretty down on Shields during the game... then I thought about how Tramon played and put it as one of his worst in recent memory. He had a few more big moments than Shields and did give up an 80 yard TD. Just seemed like the old confused secondary again. Hopefully that's a play signal thing and exploring this "dollar" package.

Put SS on the outside against the opposing deep threat and let him do his thing. I know that reduces his value, but at least have him playing to his strengths.

smuggler
10-04-2012, 04:36 PM
They don't have to play Brees or that rock-solid OL again this year, though. As for Matthews, he was chipped or double-teamed on over half of his rushing attempts, per PFF.