PDA

View Full Version : Ryder Cup

HarveyWallbangers
09-27-2012, 01:10 AM
I love the Ryder Cup. Anybody else love this event?

HarveyWallbangers
09-27-2012, 01:26 AM
If I were captain, here's what I'd do:
:)

1) I'd let each player play at least once every day.

2) I'd let each of the rookies sit out a match on day one. I'd let them play their first match with a veteran they are comfortable playing with.

3) I'd let each veteran (Stricker, Furyk, Mickelson) sit out a match on day two. Keep them fresh for singles.

4) Furyk and Kuchar are a bit out of form (and Furyk has an abysmal fourball record), so they'll play two matches. Bradley and Simpson are two rookies who are off their game a bit also, so they'll play two matches also. Zach Johnson is the other player who will play two matches--mainly because this course isn't ideal for him.

Day 1 Foursomes

Tiger Woods & Steve Stricker (they've paired well in the past)
Jim Furyk & Brandt Snedeker (start Snedeker with somebody he's comfortable with)
Phil Mickelson & Bubba Watson (I'm not sure this will happen, but I'd love to see this pairing between two similar players)
Zach Johnson & Jason Duffner (start Duffner with somebody he's comfortable with)

Keegan Bradley, Webb Simpson, Matt Kuchar, & Dustin Johnson sit

Day 1 Fourballs

Tiger Woods & Steve Stricker
Phil Mickelson & Keegan Bradley (start Bradley with somebody he's comfortable with)
Bubba Watson & Webb Simpson (start Simpson with somebody he's comfortable with)
Dustin Johnson & Matt Kuchar (Johnson is too hot to sit more than once--especially on this course)

Brandt Snedeker, Jim Furyk, Jason Duffner, & Zach Johnson sit

Obviously, day 2 pairings will depend somewhat on how the teams performed on day 1, but I'd go in thinking about these possibilities.

Day 2 Foursomes

Jim Furyk & Brandt Snedeker
Dustin Johnson & Matt Kuchar (give Phil & Bubba a rest)
Zach Johnson & Jason Duffner

Phil Mickelson & Bubba Watson, Keegan Bradley, Webb Simpson sit

Day 2 Fourballs

Tiger Woods & Brandt Snedeker (give Stricker a rest; put Tiger with another guy that is lights out putting)
Phil Mickelson & Keegan Bradley
Bubba Watson & Webb Simpson
Dustin Johnson & Jason Duffner (this could be a good pairing; D. Johnson could get a lot of birdies--while Duffner is terrific ball striker)

Steve Stricker, Jim Furyk, Matt Kuchar, & Zach Johnson sit

mraynrand
09-27-2012, 08:44 AM
I'm betting Harlan knows something about Fourballs

LegandofthePack15
09-27-2012, 06:06 PM
I'm betting Harlan knows something about Fourballs

I bet Harlan had a foursome at Woodstock in '69. :razz:

That said, very good post by HarveyWallbangers.

HarveyWallbangers
09-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Day 1 Foursomes

Tiger Woods & Steve Stricker (they've paired well in the past)
Jim Furyk & Brandt Snedeker (start Snedeker with somebody he's comfortable with)
Phil Mickelson & Bubba Watson (I'm not sure this will happen, but I'd love to see this pairing between two similar players)
Zach Johnson & Jason Duffner (start Duffner with somebody he's comfortable with)

Keegan Bradley, Webb Simpson, Matt Kuchar, & Dustin Johnson sit

Kind of figured Mickelson would get sent out with Keegan, but I would have liked to see Mickelson and Bubba sent out.

Bretsky
09-27-2012, 09:44 PM
I learned something; when I saw the Ryder Cup I seriously thought it had something to do with racing. To me watching paint dry is more exciting that golf. I knew the Masters and US Open. Now I know a Third Event

mmmdk
09-28-2012, 12:06 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Syjbgh6DPR4/T9gI35v3czI/AAAAAAAACL0/XfZCGTKdhkY/s1600/weekend+fun_4a2d6b1848656.jpg

Weekend fun!

HarveyWallbangers
09-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Day 1 Fourballs

Phil Mickelson & Keegan Bradley (start Bradley with somebody he's comfortable with)
Bubba Watson & Webb Simpson (start Simpson with somebody he's comfortable with)
Dustin Johnson & Matt Kuchar (Johnson is too hot to sit more than once--especially on this course)

Brandt Snedeker, Jim Furyk, Jason Duffner, & Zach Johnson sit

Well. I called this, but after how poorly Stricker and especially Tiger have played, I would have rethought this. Tiger played about as poorly as a pro can play. Just terrible. Dufner played great. Snedeker played well most of the day, but hit an awful tee shot on 18 after they'd come back from 3 down.

Bossman641
09-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Tiger and Stricker should have been sat this afternoon. Don't understand taking Dufner and Zach Johnson off the course.

On the flip side, I don't understand Europe sitting Poulter this afternoon.

ThunderDan
09-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Tiger and Stricker should have been sat this afternoon. Don't understand taking Dufner and Zach Johnson off the course.

On the flip side, I don't understand Europe sitting Poulter this afternoon.

What??? It wasn't Tiger or Strickers fault that one of the guys they were playing against makes 8 birdies and an eagle on his own ball. That's 10 under or 62 at Medinah. That they lost in the 18th hole goes to show how well they played.

Oooops! I thought you were talking about the afternoon match. I didn't see what time you posted at.

HarveyWallbangers
09-29-2012, 12:35 AM
That's 10 under or 62 at Medinah.

Just for accuracy, and somebody wrote this in an article I read earlier, but the Belgian Bomber did have one bogey on the card, so that would put him at 63 on his own ball. My favorite moments:

1) Bubba asking the crowd to cheer during his drive in the first hole. Goody, but got the crowd fired up. Kind of reminded me of Boo Weekly riding his driver in 2008. Bubba and Simpson went on to post 10 birdies in 14 holes... overwhelming Lawrie and Hanson.
2) Keegan Bradley
3) Phil's tee shot on 17 in the afternoon to win the match.

Bossman641
09-29-2012, 12:41 AM
Just for accuracy, and somebody wrote this in an article I read earlier, but the Belgian Bomber did have one bogey on the card, so that would put him at 63 on his own ball. My favorite moments:

1) Bubba asking the crowd to cheer during his drive in the first hole. Goody, but got the crowd fired up. Kind of reminded me of Boo Weekly riding his driver in 2008. Bubba and Simpson went on to post 10 birdies in 14 holes... overwhelming Lawrie and Hanson.
2) Keegan Bradley
3) Phil's tee shot on 17 in the afternoon to win the match.

Bubba's tee shot on 1 was straight out of Happy Gilmore.

Glad to see the Keegan / Phil pairing early tomorrow. They bring a lot of energy.

Last thought: cannot believe how short the rough is at Medinah

Bossman641
09-29-2012, 12:46 AM
One last thing, I played HS golf, and have played around 20 times a year or so since college, but I have never played foursomes. I cannot even imagine how maddening that must be.

wootah
09-29-2012, 02:56 AM
The Belgian guy is playing well from what I've read...

HarveyWallbangers
09-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Phil off to a strong start today. Sticks his iron at 1 to a foot. Strong tee shot on 2. Westwood follows by hitting it into the water. 2 up.

Bossman641
09-29-2012, 11:33 AM
DL3 has to send Keegan / Phil back out this afternoon. They have been lights out and energize the crowd.

digitaldean
09-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Keegan Bradley was a freaking stud today. The fact that he is a rookie makes it all the more amazing. In my opinion, this is Tiger's last Ryder Cup. He has stunk up the joint in this one and was no great shakes last time around. Given Stricker's age, I'd say it'll be his last also. Kudos to The entire team thus far. That 7 and 6 whooping we had vs th Euros was just awesome. It'll be so great to put pretty boy McIlroy and the Euros in their place. If it wasn't of Poulter the results would MUCH worse for the Euros.

wist43
09-29-2012, 08:40 PM
It's 10-6. The Europeans still have a shot... great golf today though.

Dustin Johnson's putt on 17 was drama. Great stuff.

Haven't watched much golf this year b/c I haven't been able to play, but watching the Ryder Cup today inspired me to get the clubs out of the basement and knock it around for 9 holes - felt good to be out there :)

digitaldean
09-29-2012, 09:04 PM
It's 10-6. The Europeans still have a shot... great golf today though.

Dustin Johnson's putt on 17 was drama. Great stuff.

Haven't watched much golf this year b/c I haven't been able to play, but watching the Ryder Cup today inspired me to get the clubs out of the basement and knock it around for 9 holes - felt good to be out there :)

Strick and Tiger could have slammed the door shut on any comeback. But they dug too big a hole to get out of. The Euros have a shot but it would take a collapse to lose this one. I'd put Tiger in first or bench him. He just doesnt have it this wknd. Hope Keegan, Bubba and Phil can lead us to victory!

Joemailman
09-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Strick and Tiger could have slammed the door shut on any comeback. But they dug too big a hole to get out of. The Euros have a shot but it would take a collapse to lose this one. I'd put Tiger in first or bench him. He just doesnt have it this wknd. Hope Keegan, Bubba and Phil can lead us to victory!

Tiger finished strong today. He goes last tomorrow.

The lineup:

http://www.golf.com/leaderboard/ryder-cup/yr/2012

wist43
09-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Very tight today - Americans can't seem to make a putt to save their lives.

wist43
09-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Wow, 10-9 now... Americans choking big time!!!

wist43
09-30-2012, 04:24 PM
lol... they're gonna blow it

10-6 lead, and they're gonna lose it... what a massive choke

wist43
09-30-2012, 04:55 PM
What a massive collapse!!!

Bossman641
09-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Embarrassing by Furyk and Stricker

digitaldean
09-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Unfreaking believable. Woods and Stricker with 0 pts for the weekend. What an embarrassment. Like I said this should be Tiger's last Ryder Cup.

LegandofthePack15
09-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Like I said this should be Tiger's last Ryder Cup.

Wtf? Tiger is the top ranked American player in the world! He's the reason people watch golf. Tiger would still be a captain's pick for the next few years even if he's having a bad season.

wist43
09-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Embarrassing by Furyk and Stricker

Stricker's shot on 18 from 164 out... now that was an embarrassment. Over 40 feet away?? Seriously, from that yardage, clean lie?? How do you airmail a shot like that??.

What a choke.

mmmdk
09-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Europe beats Europe trash that crossed the big herring pond! :lol: It's a joke, I don't give sh!t about golf.

Joemailman
09-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Europe beats Europe trash that crossed the big herring pond! :lol: It's a joke, I don't give sh!t about golf.

We never should have rescued you guys in WWII.

Bossman641
09-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Stricker's shot on 18 from 164 out... now that was an embarrassment. Over 40 feet away?? Seriously, from that yardage, clean lie?? How do you airmail a shot like that??.

What a choke.

He took a lot of club. 7 iron from 164? With that adrenaline?

His real screw-up was on 17 though. How do you not get that up and down?

digitaldean
09-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Wtf? Tiger is the top ranked American player in the world! He's the reason people watch golf. Tiger would still be a captain's pick for the next few years even if he's having a bad season.
And what is his record over the last Ryder Cups? Only reason he got pts on last Ryder Cup is because of Stricker in 2 man matches. He got a big fat goose egg this time around. He isn't the only reason for this debacle, but he greatly contributed to it.

wist43
09-30-2012, 09:45 PM
He took a lot of club. 7 iron from 164? With that adrenaline?

His real screw-up was on 17 though. How do you not get that up and down?

I didn't notice what club he had... but if he had a 7 iron in his hand - his caddie has to step in and veto that selection. When I heard he was at 164 I was thinking 9 iron with a hook lie and helping wind. Hell, I might have even gone with a PW there myself with a helping wind; but would probably have gone with a 9 iron.

7 iron there is a terrible club selection.

mmmdk
10-01-2012, 09:38 AM
We never should have rescued you guys in WWII.

Guess not! :lol: But thanks anyway! Actually, thanks a lot.

My grandpa, Thorkel, was with the Danish resistance in Jutland and unfortunately he got caught during a daring mission at Aalborg airpot (Aalborg a Danish city), he helped place bombs on German planes and it was a success. This was in late 1944 and he (grandpa Thorkel) went to Neugamme prison camp near Hamburg - and that was his luck 'cos he survived! Grandpa Thorkel died 25 years ago in a car accident at the age of 75. You could produce a fracking movie from his (Grandpa Thorkels) doings during WWII as there's much more to his story.

His daughter, my mother went to the states in 1966, I was born in Phoenix AZ in 1972 & we all went back to Denmark in 1975. My mother died this spring.
Rest in peace to them both.
So thank you; can't say that enough. You have a similar story then do tell.

PS - Saving our asses in WWII won't stop me from bitching about stuff going on in my second country - United States of America. :smile: