PDA

View Full Version : Culprit Ref FINALLY Speaks...

packers11
09-27-2012, 02:00 PM
AND you are not going to like it...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/27/ref-who-ruled-golden-tate-touchdown-still-thinks-it-was-the-right-call/

MadtownPacker
09-27-2012, 02:05 PM
The good news is that I don't hate that mfer anymore than I already did.

sharpe1027
09-27-2012, 02:08 PM
“You have to not only have the ball but have either two feet or a body part on the ground, and that never happened,” Easley said.

Speechless.

Kiwon
09-27-2012, 02:19 PM
How do you put a ref out there who doesn't know the rules?

Is he someone's brother-in-law or something?

Guiness
09-27-2012, 03:13 PM
How do you put a ref out there who doesn't know the rules?

Is he someone's brother-in-law or something?

No, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

LP
09-27-2012, 03:26 PM
No, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

If that were the case, he would have done a better job.

Harlan Huckleby
09-27-2012, 03:49 PM
“You have to not only have the ball but have either two feet or a body part on the ground, and that never happened,” Easley said.

Back in the old days, really old days, in girls dorms they had a rule that if a boy sat on a girl's bed, they had to keep both feet on the ground. I wonder if this ref is confusing that old rule.

sheepshead
09-27-2012, 04:07 PM
willybronco says: Sep 27, 2012 2:36 PM

I still think it was an incredibly elaborate buffalo wild wings commercial.
------------------------------------
funny PFT comment.

sharpe1027
09-27-2012, 04:08 PM
I've recovered enough to comment. Did he just completely invent a rule out of thin air? Is that even the rule at any level? College? High School? Pop Warner?

hoosier
09-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Easley says he feels like he's become a sacrificial lamb, who had to "fall on the sword."
http://www.tmz.com/2012/09/27/lance-easley-nfl-replacement-ref/

So give the guy a little credit, he can mix his metaphors with the best of them. But he is also right: the real culprit in this fraud is neither the scabs nor Goodell.

Smidgeon
09-27-2012, 05:10 PM
The good news is that I can't hate that mfer anymore than I already did.

Fixed. ;)

sharpe1027
09-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Easley says he feels like he's become a sacrificial lamb, who had to "fall on the sword.

He was neither sacrificed nor had to "fall on the sword," the NFL stood behind him and even said he might the right call.

Brandon494
09-27-2012, 05:51 PM
At least Jim Joyce had the guts to admit he missed a called for the perfect game. This guy needs a soap beating full medal jacket style by everyone in Green Bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyEibkDo8UQ

Joemailman
09-27-2012, 06:06 PM
He was neither sacrificed nor had to "fall on the sword," the NFL stood behind him and even said he might the right call.

If the dumbass had just thrown the flag the most obvious instance of offensive pass interference I've ever seen, it wouldn't have mattered who ended up with the ball.

Tony Oday
09-27-2012, 06:34 PM
In 19 weeks when the Pack has used this as motivation to win ARs second SB we will love this guy!

mraynrand
09-27-2012, 06:53 PM
At least Jim Joyce had the guts to admit he missed a called for the perfect game. This guy needs a soap beating full medal jacket style by everyone in Green Bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyEibkDo8UQ

Can Goodell be the Drill Sgt.?

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Did you really expect him to say yeah I'm an idiot for making that call when the NFL won't even admit the call was questionable. I just hope for his sake its a front to protect himself otherwise he is a moron.

mraynrand
09-27-2012, 07:02 PM
There is a wet mop somewhere just waiting for Lance Easley.

JohnMexico
09-27-2012, 07:04 PM
And now? He's unemployed. Great one there, hoss.

pittstang5
09-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Was feeling better, now pissed off again. What a douche!

MJZiggy
09-27-2012, 07:36 PM
AND you are not going to like it...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/27/ref-who-ruled-golden-tate-touchdown-still-thinks-it-was-the-right-call/

Spoken like a true banking executive...

Pugger
09-27-2012, 07:37 PM
I'm not surprised he said that seeing he has no freaking clue what the rules are anyway. Thank god he's back reffing the Lingerie League or what ever he did before.

MJZiggy
09-27-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm not surprised he said that seeing he has no freaking clue what the rules are anyway. Thank god he's back reffing the Lingerie League or what ever he did before.
No, Pug, the Lingerie League fired him. (was that him specifically or just members of that crew?)

Pugger
09-27-2012, 07:56 PM
No, Pug, the Lingerie League fired him. (was that him specifically or just members of that crew?)

Oh. My. God. I find it incredibly arrogant of the league to think these bozos would be 'good enough' to officiate NFL games.

It was the national uproar after a culmination of awful calls by the replacements for 3 weeks that got the regulars back out there. It isn't like it was only in our MNF game where mistakes were made - only ours had the most egregious ones. Another thing that we aren't discussing is how these replacements never really had control of the players or the coaches like the regular refs do. Players and coaches intimidated those replacements. There is no way in hell Harbaugh would have been granted TWO challenges after he was out of TOs, for example.

mission
09-27-2012, 08:04 PM
This is my first comment on the subject and I'm not even sure it's much of a comment.

Being violated takes time..........

KYPack
09-28-2012, 07:49 AM
This is my first comment on the subject and I'm not even sure it's much of a comment.

Being violated takes time..........

My God, Mish, you are right.

What if the team is pregnant from the hosing we got Mon nite?

Fritz
09-28-2012, 08:10 AM

No fear of that, KY. The Pack took that one up the ol' bung hole.

mraynrand
09-28-2012, 08:12 AM

No fear of that, KY. The Pack took that one up the ol' bung hole.

Where do you think lawyers come from?

George Cumby
09-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Where do you think lawyers come from?

That was good.

mmmdk
09-28-2012, 10:47 AM
[Madtownpacker gives Lance Easley a rough shove and starts yelling at Easley in an alien language which Easley doesn't understand]

pbmax: [explaining] He doesn't like you.

Lance Easley: Sorry.

pbmax: [grabbing Easley] *I* don't like you either. You just watch yourself. We're wanted men. I have the death sentence on twelve systems.

Easley: I'll be careful.

pbmax: You'll be dead!

Roger Goodell: [intervening] This little one's not worth the effort. Come, let me get you something.

[pbmax shoves Easley across the room and pulls out a blaster]

Bartender: No blasters! No blasters!

[Roger Goodell ignites his lightsaber, severing Madtownpacker's arm]

mraynrand
09-28-2012, 10:52 AM
You know, the real culprit is Phil Luckett.

The NFL allowing Phil Luckett anywhere near an NFL football field on Sundays is like putting a serial pedophile in a halfway house across from a grade school.

hoosier
09-28-2012, 11:24 AM
This summer, Easley reportedly attended a pair of training sessions with the Stars and Stripes Academy for Football Officials in Salt Lake City, which attempts to prepare prospective officials for Division I college football. But Karl Richins, who runs the academy, said his staff found Easley to be unfit for working at the game’s highest levels.

“Our conclusion,” Richins said in a telephone interview, “was that Lance was a good football official given the level he was at, which at that time was juco [junior college] and Division III, and we thought as a staff he . . . wasn’t ready for Division I, let alone the NFL. We hadn’t even talked about that.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/replacement-refs-prep-for-post-nfl-lives/2012/09/27/546e82da-08f3-11e2-9eea-333857f6a7bd_story_1.html

Pugger
09-28-2012, 11:47 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/story/2012/09/26/nfls-regular-officials-still-convening-to-stay-game-ready/57846092/1

mraynrand
09-29-2012, 08:36 AM
"I will tell you I've worked over 450 games in this league. I have never seen a simultaneous catch," Hochuli said. "To get four hands on the ball at the same time is a pretty unusual situation.
"I've seen simultaneous recoveries. That's not uncommon. You un-pile the players, they're going after a loose ball and there are two guys who are completely wrapped around the football, and you have a simultaneous recovery. You're going to give the ball to the offense.
"But a simultaneous catch is a hard thing to have."

Excellent summation, councillor!

Zool
10-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Well now he's changed his mind. Moron.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8460628/green-bay-packers-coach-mike-mccarthy-reaches-controversial-ref-wayne-elliott

Guiness
10-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Neat little article. Interesting that he said that now that he knows the rule, he'd probably call it differently. I wonder how the NFL would respond to that if they said anything more about it, seeing as how they replied that it was the correct call.

His comment on the OPI is also revealing, and shows his lack of experience. He was told not to call it on a Hail Mary, leaving me with the impression he would've let an MMA battle go down out there without a flag. An experienced ref would let the bumping and so on occur, but the blatant 2 handed shove to the back that took out 2 defensive players would have been called.

Crazy that his phone number was listed.

mraynrand
10-04-2012, 11:42 AM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8460628/green-bay-packers-coach-mike-mccarthy-reaches-controversial-ref-wayne-elliott

Wayne Elliott?

George Cumby
10-04-2012, 11:45 AM

Two things:

1) M3 is a class act
2) Dude finally copped to blowing the call. Better late than never.

Guiness
10-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Wayne Elliott?

Ya. He was the crew chief, right?

He got a VM from Mike McCarthy...which means he listened to his voice mails! Wow, can't believe he didn't just delete them all without listening.

Guiness
10-04-2012, 12:16 PM
I missed the post by Hoosier above that said he was found to not be skilled enough for Div I, now an article at Sportsline says he realizes that by taking this job he gave up any future chance of advancement at the college level, or maybe any future chance of reffing in college?

Either way, both knew that by signing on to be a replacement official, that would effectively end their advancement as full-time college officials.

“That was the debate on whether I was going to want to give this up,” Core said. “The college commissioners, the college football officiating is controlled by the NFL referees. So we knew crossing the line was going to end the college career.”

I was already they were able to find refs to do this at all. Looks like the pool they dipped into was guys who had already been told they had no future advancement available to them. Well, them and Luckett.

pbmax
10-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Easley is the sideline ref who stood by the call. Elliot is the crew chief who said he would not have called simultaneous catch.

gbgary
10-04-2012, 11:27 PM
the interview on inside the nfl was pretty revealing...especially when he said they were told not to call pi on a hail mary. it's a free for all evidently.

wootah
10-05-2012, 12:54 AM
I don't know if it's already posted somewhere on this board, but here we go:

Ten days after the "Inaccurate Reception" heard around the world, the replacement refs remain in the news.

In a fascinating interview set to air Thursday on Showtime's "Inside the NFL," replacement referee Wayne Elliott admits that his crew erred in calling a touchdown for the Seattle Seahawks.

"I'd probably call interception. I learned a rule by screwing up the rule," Elliott said via USA Today.

Elliott was not in the end zone and did not make the initial call on the play. It was obvious his crew was not positioned correctly and Elliott admits that their grasp of the rulebook was not great. It sounds like the officials were devastated after the game.

"It was quiet. It was like a losing locker room, very little conversation," Elliott said.

It's surprising that Elliott admitted his mistake publicly. What Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy did last week is even more surprising.

"(McCarthy) called me at my house last week because he had heard I was having a rough week with all the calls and everything," Elliott said. "Wanted (me) to know that he thought what I did -- controversial and maybe he didn't agree with it -- (but he thought) I handled it with class."

That's an incredibly classy and gracious gesture by McCarthy. It says a lot about him.

"It was something that really personally gave me some finality to the week," McCarthy told Adam Schein on SiriusXM Radio on Thursday. "It was something I felt was obviously the right thing to do."

Fellow referee Jim Core says all the coaches treated him with respect except for one guy.

"He's college," said Core, not paying Schiano a compliment. "The rest of them (coaches) acted at a different level."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000069346/article/mike-mccarthy-calls-replacement-ref-after-mnf-gaffe

gbgary
10-05-2012, 03:10 PM
inaccurate reception...didn't notice that before. very clever!

Kiwon
10-06-2012, 01:16 AM
NEWSFLASH: Lance Easley has been found! He has left the NFL and is working as an umpire for MLB.

He worked the left field line for the Braves-Cardinals one game playoff yesterday.

He called the "Infield Fly" rule two seconds before the ball hit the ground. Yes, and he defended his call as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Z5MIaISrU

Little Whiskey
10-06-2012, 11:29 AM
that is a tough call. the timing makes it all the worse. had the ump called it right away, it wouldn't have looked as bad. I think the braves had a beef.

hoosier
10-06-2012, 12:32 PM
that is a tough call. the timing makes it all the worse. had the ump called it right away, it wouldn't have looked as bad. I think the braves had a beef.

I think he had to wait until the shortstop called off the leftfielder before he could legitimately rule infield fly. If there is any chance the outfielder makes the play, that ruling cannot be in effect. So the ump's call came late because Kozma took forever to signal "I got it". I suppose a legitimate argument could be made that if the infielder takes that long, then by definition it cannot be a routine play.