PDA

View Full Version : Nelson & Jennings playing like wimps

Patler
09-29-2012, 11:18 AM
JSO article highlights two plays that evoked groans even from me (I rarely say much watching a game.). Nelson is the huge disappointment to me, so far. I expect more physical play from him.

The article:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-receivers-struggle-to-duplicate-2011-performance-s971j9h-171882271.html

KYPack
09-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Those big ass Seahawk DB's with the incompetant refs letting 'em get away with murder helped stop us more than any timidity from the GB WR's.

George Cumby
09-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Jennings showed some moxie by taking on that one shit-head who just about decapitated him. GJ just needs to go lower on the take down, especially on a guy who is that much bigger.

Patler
09-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Those big ass Seahawk DB's with the incompetant refs letting 'em get away with murder helped stop us more than any timidity from the GB WR's.

Not an excuse for wimping away from contact after they already have the ball, and a first down is there to be had with an aggressive run after the catch.

Besides, it goes both ways. If the officials are allowing the DBs to play physically aggressive, the WRs should respond in kind. It's an excuse that doesn't make it in my book, in any sport. Go out and play the game in the way the officials are calling it.

Patler
09-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Jennings showed some moxie by taking on that one shit-head who just about decapitated him. GJ just needs to go lower on the take down, especially on a guy who is that much bigger.

I don't think that was moxie, it was losing his cool for an instant. I don't blame him for standing up to the guy, however.
Moxie would be getting back at the guy without getting caught by the official.

KYPack
09-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Not an excuse for wimping away from contact after they already have the ball, and a first down is there to be had with an aggressive run after the catch.

Besides, it goes both ways. If the officials are allowing the DBs to play physically aggressive, the WRs should respond in kind. It's an excuse that doesn't make it in my book, in any sport. Go out and play the game in the way the officials are calling it.

Sure.

But P, when you see some 6'4" sumbitch eating a bale of hay and playing CB, it does tend to get in your head a bit.

Patler
09-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Sure.

But P, when you see some 6'4" sumbitch eating a bale of hay and playing CB, it does tend to get in your head a bit.

If you are a pro rookie going against an honored vet, sure, first few times out.

Veterans with 4 years and more experience , a Super Bowl ring, post season recognition with a great QB tossing the ball, no excuse. Besides, Nelson especially, is a good size guy himself. Those Seattle DBs were not that much bigger than he is. I thought the tough farmboy would stand up to them.

George Cumby
09-29-2012, 04:51 PM
I don't think that was moxie, it was losing his cool for an instant. I don't blame him for standing up to the guy, however.
Moxie would be getting back at the guy without getting caught by the official.

Definitely lost his cool which was a little disappointing, but I suspect that we saw only a fraction of what was REALLY going on, due to TV camera angles.

Don't know if not getting caught is required for "moxie".

I think we are seeing the reality which is Jordy is a great second receiver but not a #1.

Pugger
09-29-2012, 05:52 PM
I had no problem with Greg losing his cool. That isn't normal behavior for him so there must've been a lot of crap going on and that cheap shot was the last draw. Evidently Browner apologized later on but still...

MadtownPacker
09-30-2012, 02:00 AM
I thought the tough farmboy would stand up to them.I kidnda thought so too. All the hype was about how physical they are. Thought JJ handled it well but Jennings obviously got frustrated. Jordy did take that hard hit when he caught the TD.

ND72
09-30-2012, 08:06 AM
All I did was read the thread name and say YES. I've been very disappointed in their play.

pbmax
09-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Jones is a beast and no matter who is across from him is going to have a hard time with him physically, esp if its the third CB. I think he is simply less susceptible to that kind of plan.

I have always had mixed feelings about Nelson, despite his success, he seems to run a more limited amount of routes than the other two and so I would expect its easier to scheme him (or knock him) out of the plays timing. Not sure about his takeoff at the snap. But he is normally more reliable and gets deep well.

Jones used to run routes inside (remember the blast he took vs the Bengals? Bobbled pass, secured, blasted by safety, run for long gain/TD). But either through scheme or experience, rnost of his stuff is outside now, despite his difficulty with throws he needs to turn to catch. Might simply be his demotion to 3 WR due to other issues and Nelson's rise. I suspect that the greatest part of the snaps in 3WR see him aligned wide with Jennings in the slot.

The point being, perhaps swapping Nelson and Jones in 3 WR might be beneficial at times.

Brandon494
09-30-2012, 12:48 PM
But Nelson is suppose to be better than Roddy White.

pbmax
09-30-2012, 12:56 PM
But Nelson is suppose to be better than Roddy White.

Indeed. That's why this season is puzzling. But its only 3 games. :lol:

rbaloha1
09-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Agree with the tip toeing.

GJ has an injury and an upcoming new contract causing the twinkle toes.

JN is a long strider that works best off play action and the brothers underestimating his speed. Agree with JN's inability to run the route tree.

Iron Mike
09-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Maybe they should both do more pushing off, as apparently it isn't a penalty in the NFL anymore. :)

mmmdk
09-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Receivers slumping big time.

Joemailman
09-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Jordy came to play today. Jennings can't finish a game.

Guiness
09-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Jordy came to play today. Jennings can't finish a game.

Agreed. I think GJ makes less money next year than he did this. He's had a good career, but I'm afraid it seems like it's winding down. Hope I'm wrong, but there seems like a lot of parallels to Freeman at this point in his career right now.

3irty1
09-30-2012, 09:25 PM
I feel like Jordy has never been that physical of a receiver and has never played up to his size. I've seen Greg stick his head up and compete for the ball a bit but he's not so big that its a good idea to depend on him in that roll. Jordy has never played like a 6'3" 230 pounder though. Both of those guys have exceptional straight line speed, run pretty good routes, and are shifty with the ball in their hands but I don't of either one as a physical possession type reciever. When you look at how teams have been playing us its no wonder that James Jones has been a standout so far. That dirty move the chains stuff is his game. Finley is starting to wake up a bit too and between those guys and Cobb you have a physical presence that can keep the machine running when the big plays from Greg and Jordy aren't there.

pbmax
09-30-2012, 09:27 PM
I feel like Jordy has never been that physical of a receiver and has never played up to his size. I've seen Greg stick his head up and compete for the ball a bit but he's not so big that its a good idea to depend on him in that roll. Jordy has never played like a 6'3" 230 pounder though. Both of those guys have exceptional straight line speed, run pretty good routes, and are shifty with the ball in their hands but I don't of either one as a physical possession type reciever. When you look at how teams have been playing us its no wonder that James Jones has been a standout so far. That dirty move the chains stuff is his game. Finley is starting to wake up a bit too and between those guys and Cobb you have a physical presence that can keep the machine running when the big plays from Greg and Jordy aren't there.

Nelson had a couple of tough catches off contact today. But I agree, Jones is less bothered by the bumps. I do think Nelson competes well for a high ball. But if Jones could catch over his shoulder he would play more.

Have always thought of Jennings as just about fearless. I think his recent struggles are due more to injuries (esp groin) than toughness.

wist43
09-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Jennings is killing me in fantasy - really regret drafting that turd.

Joemailman
09-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Jennings is killing me in fantasy - really regret drafting that turd.

And he's killing himself in free agency.

wist43
09-30-2012, 09:40 PM
And he's killing himself in free agency.

Yeah, but it's costing me real money :)

JohnMexico
09-30-2012, 09:43 PM
Discount resign?
Let his ass sit until he's ready ready.

swede
09-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Yeah, but it's costing me real money :)

GJ's injuries and lack of special games is costing the both of you money that must total millions of dollars in combined Wist fantasy winnings and GJ FA contract $$. Millions. And a million here and a million there adds up.

Patler
10-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Jones seems to make a lot of difficult catches, catches a lot of contested balls, and catches with guys hanging on him. His drops have always been on easier throws. In that way it is more maddening.

rbaloha1
10-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Responded to toughness being questioned. Its nice to have an ex running back as a receiver's coach.

mraynrand
10-01-2012, 01:45 PM
C'mon Jennings! Step it up! Wisty's baby needs a new pair of shoes!!!