PDA

View Full Version : Fan fun 2011 vrs 2012

Harlan Huckleby
09-30-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm enjoying the games much more this season. I thought last year's offensive machine, no defense got kinda boring. I really like the defense this year, they are much better tacklers, you don't have to shield your eyes for half the game.

Joemailman
09-30-2012, 07:14 PM
At this rate I'm going to overdose on Maalox. What's so fun about that?

mmmdk
09-30-2012, 07:24 PM
The Super Human season by Rodgers was awesome but the 15-1 record made a lot of people/fans/players/coaches blind to the glaring troubles on Packers D & bonehead coaching calls [at times].

3irty1
09-30-2012, 09:27 PM
At this time last year I was mourning the loss of Collins. I'll take this year.

Plus I think its important to face some adveristy on the road to the superbowl. This years team has to earn every inch and will have a lot more fight in them come Janurary.

MJZiggy
09-30-2012, 09:50 PM
I might enjoy this season more if the refs weren't giving games away. The bar didn't have sound on the game. Anyone want to explain to me why when a Packer catches the ball, secures it and it bobbles when it hits the ground is incomplete and when a Saint has the same exact catch, it's a catch?

mmmdk
09-30-2012, 10:05 PM
I might enjoy this season more if the refs weren't giving games away. The bar didn't have sound on the game. Anyone want to explain to me why when a Packer catches the ball, secures it and it bobbles when it hits the ground is incomplete and when a Saint has the same exact catch, it's a catch?

Can't, it's baffling.

wist43
09-30-2012, 11:30 PM
I agree with 3irty1 about facing some adversity, and also about Collins - he was a huge loss; but as bad as last year's defense was, I had faith that the offense could overcome just about anything the defense puked up. That of course proved not to be true when the Giants came to Lambeau and kicked the living hell out of our softer than teddy bear stuffing Packers.

I don't see the defense being better b/c of Capers. TT upgraded the personnel, but we're still seeing the same old crap - missed assignments (Moss and Davis TD's - the 80 yard gaff in the NO game today), the gimmick fronts (rushing 2 guys on 3rd and 17), the constant miscommunication. NO rang up almost 500 yards of offense against us; SF ran for 186... the defense is not fixed.

Maybe the defense will improve as the season wears on; but I don't expect Capers to change his tune. The soft fronts will continue, and good offenses will roll up big yards and pts against us. We have a very tough schedule... so making the playoffs is not a given.

What are the odds that Rodgers even comes out of the Houston game alive?? lol... JJ Watt may rip him into little pieces and take the body parts home for a snack.

Airin' Rodgers
10-01-2012, 12:33 AM
What are the odds that Rodgers even comes out of the Houston game alive?? lol... JJ Watt may rip him into little pieces and take the body parts home for a snack.

Considering there have been no sacks since MM's halftime adjustments against Seattle, I'd say pretty good.

MadtownPacker
10-01-2012, 08:21 AM
This season is much better because there has been so much to bitch about so early in the year.

George Cumby
10-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Last year was too easy, every monday a great big circle jerk about how great the O was while many of us (myself included) whistled past the graveyard of defensive ineptitude.

The adversity already faced by this team will, in theory, make it stronger.

denverYooper
10-01-2012, 11:15 AM
The adversity already faced by this team will, in theory, make it stronger.

Seems to work out that way for a lot of super bowl champions. It'd be nice to see the Packers be "that" team this year.

Texans beware...

George Cumby
10-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Seems to work out that way for a lot of super bowl champions. It'd be nice to see the Packers be "that" team this year.

Texans beware...

That, I think will be a "statement" game, much like the Jets game two years ago. If they come out with a win, they will know they are a good team.

Patler
10-01-2012, 12:28 PM
I do not enjoy games any more or any less depending on the outcome. I don't get emotional over a loss as in Seattle. I enjoyed the '70s and '80s even as the losses mounted. I stopped having an emotional investment in sports teams very long ago.

George Cumby
10-01-2012, 12:46 PM
I do not enjoy games any more or any less depending on the outcome. I don't get emotional over a loss as in Seattle. I enjoyed the '70s and '80s even as the losses mounted. I stopped having an emotional investment in sports teams very long ago.

So is it a purely intellectual exercise for you, then?

Curious, I don't know if I would watch the games if not for the emotions that the events on the field evoke.

mmmdk
10-01-2012, 12:56 PM

Texans beware...

Stop saying this - you'll jinx our SB run! :wink:

Patler
10-01-2012, 01:00 PM
So is it a purely intellectual exercise for you, then?

Curious, I don't know if I would watch the games if not for the emotions that the events on the field evoke.

I enjoy watching the individual plays, the physical performances involved in each, etc. The final score that occurs from the net results of those plays is not very meaningful to me. For example, Shields made a very nice defensive play against Seattle, as did MD Jennings. The facts that Shields was ruled pass interference and Jennings interception as a completion do not change how well they performed in those situations.

I enjoy following the Packers because they are easy for me to follow. I have said many times that I enjoy the goings-on of the off-season almost as much as I do the regular season. But, I own not a single Packer jersey, cap or T-shirt. I did buy a share of stock just for the conversation piece that it is, but I am not emotionally invested in the team at all.

Fritz
10-01-2012, 01:12 PM
I enjoy watching the individual plays, the physical performances involved in each, etc. The final score that occurs from the net results of those plays is not very meaningful to me. For example, Shields made a very nice defensive play against Seattle, as did MD Jennings. The facts that Shields was ruled pass interference and Jennings interception as a completion do not change how well they performed in those situations.

I enjoy following the Packers because they are easy for me to follow. I have said many times that I enjoy the goings-on of the off-season almost as much as I do the regular season. But, I own not a single Packer jersey, cap or T-shirt. I did buy a share of stock just for the conversation piece that it is, but I am not emotionally invested in the team at all.

Well, I am emotionally invested. Almost sickeningly so. It's like work to sweat through these Packer games.

And I am enjoying - or was enjoying - this season more than last. It was easier for me to watch the Seattle loss than to watch yesterday's win (until Jones made that fabulous catch at the end to secure the game). I can't stand it when the defense looks like a sieve. It drives me bananas. Watching an opposing QB stand back in the pocket and serenely survey the scene while Packer defenders impotently attempt to get past the offensive line makes me crazy, and not in a good way. Hell, even when Capers blitzed nine guys, no one would get through.

Yesterday's poor showing by the defense is disheartening to me. They did stop the run, hooray, but allowing NO to get first downs on third and fourteen and third and seventeen was agonizing.

But I hope that as the youngsters gain experience, they will improve. And I am more hopeful that Neal will get his sea legs quickly and make an impact. Worthy did nothing that I could see yesterday.

But having said all that, I think this team is in a crucible that might shape them for a SB run. MM seems to think that a lot of good came out of yesterday's adversity, so I'm willing to hang my hat on that. They can build on this early-season cauldron.

wist43
10-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Well, I am emotionally invested. Almost sickeningly so. It's like work to sweat through these Packer games.

And I am enjoying - or was enjoying - this season more than last. It was easier for me to watch the Seattle loss than to watch yesterday's win (until Jones made that fabulous catch at the end to secure the game). I can't stand it when the defense looks like a sieve. It drives me bananas. Watching an opposing QB stand back in the pocket and serenely survey the scene while Packer defenders impotently attempt to get past the offensive line makes me crazy, and not in a good way. Hell, even when Capers blitzed nine guys, no one would get through.

Yesterday's poor showing by the defense is disheartening to me. They did stop the run, hooray, but allowing NO to get first downs on third and fourteen and third and seventeen was agonizing.

But I hope that as the youngsters gain experience, they will improve. And I am more hopeful that Neal will get his sea legs quickly and make an impact. Worthy did nothing that I could see yesterday.

But having said all that, I think this team is in a crucible that might shape them for a SB run. MM seems to think that a lot of good came out of yesterday's adversity, so I'm willing to hang my hat on that. They can build on this early-season cauldron.

Capers hasn't changed anything. I had hoped that his soft fronts from last year were a consession to the lack of front seven talent - but TT gave him some talent this year and his game plans and alignments haven't changed.

From a philosophical standpoint, Capers complete lack of aggression in the front seven... that's what is disheartening to me. TT brought in an entire draft of front seven talent, and Capers is doing nothing with it. Rushing 2 on that 3rd and 17, he might just as well dropped all 11.

George Cumby
10-01-2012, 03:46 PM

Fair enough, but alien to me.

I enjoy watching watching excellence in physical action, the Olympics, for example, but very rarely do I watch anything but the Packers because of time constraints, priorities and I would rather do stuff then sit and watch.

That being said, I will make time to watch the Pack because of my emotional investment in the team. I am far less emotionally involved than I was even five years ago but I still enjoy the joy of victory, which we all know is hollow without the potential to lose.

mraynrand
10-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Capers hasn't changed anything. I had hoped that his soft fronts from last year were a consession to the lack of front seven talent - but TT gave him some talent this year and his game plans and alignments haven't changed. .

what talent are you referring to?

Fritz
10-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Capers blitzed a fair amount last season, I think, and it didn't do beans. I do wish he'd rush more than three on those downs, but my gosh, let's rush people who can get to the QB. I would like to see a four man rush, at least, so opposing QB's feel at least a little pressure. Please let Mike Neal get his shit together, stay healthy, and play well!

mission
10-01-2012, 10:59 PM

So does that mean you don't get the euphoria of a big win/Super Bowl etc? I mean, I thought emotion is what being a fan(atic) was all about. The agony in defeat is what makes the big wins so exciting. Not telling you how to do it, just more curious how you feel on the other end of things.

Patler
10-01-2012, 11:49 PM
So does that mean you don't get the euphoria of a big win/Super Bowl etc? I mean, I thought emotion is what being a fan(atic) was all about. The agony in defeat is what makes the big wins so exciting. Not telling you how to do it, just more curious how you feel on the other end of things.

No, no euphoria for a win, even a SB win. A short time later, I hardly think about it, and by the next day it is fairly irrelevant to me. I have said many times that I am not a fan(atic) as much as I am an interested observer of the operation of the team. The Super Bowl is meaningful to me for its representation that what they did worked. It is interesting to me to consider how they can build on that to develop a team that might win multiple Super Bowls. I move very quickly into the off season maneuvers they will undertake.

George Cumby
10-02-2012, 08:15 AM
No, no euphoria for a win, even a SB win. A short time later, I hardly think about it, and by the next day it is fairly irrelevant to me. I have said many times that I am not a fan(atic) as much as I am an interested observer of the operation of the team. The Super Bowl is meaningful to me for its representation that what they did worked. It is interesting to me to consider how they can build on that to develop a team that might win multiple Super Bowls. I move very quickly into the off season maneuvers they will undertake.

It all becomes clear to me, now, Patler is half-Vulcan.

I too enjoy the grand strategy aspect of the team building, etc.

But I do have a question, Mr. Patler, you green-blooded in-human, why do you follow the Packers, why not another franchise?

wootah
10-02-2012, 08:34 AM
No, no euphoria for a win, even a SB win.

http://www.badhaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Ian_Holm_Ash_Alien.jpg

:)

Patler
10-02-2012, 08:53 AM
But I do have a question, Mr. Patler, you green-blooded in-human, why do you follow the Packers, why not another franchise?

Because I live in WI and have for most of my life. It's based on a build up of historical knowledge and information since Lombardi.

"Back in the day" the only information readily available was in local newspapers. A subscription to Sporting News helped with info on other teams, but you never really knew a lot about them. I have always read the Green Bay Press Gazette, Milwaukee Journal, Milwaukee Sentinel and now the Journal-Sentinel daily. It was difficult to be a very knowledgeable fan about any team other than the one covered locally..

As a young man, I was a more typical fan, but never fanatical about it; so it's not that I don't have a soft spot for the Packers, I do. I prefer seeing them win to another team, but it is very short-lived. Sort of like watching a movie that you enjoy, or eating a meal that you like. Pleasant at the time, but nothing significant or lasting. Very soon forgotten in the overall scheme of life.

Harlan Huckleby
10-02-2012, 11:35 AM
I get excited watching the games, but I don't care that much anymore whether they win or lose by the next day.

The other sign that I am not so fanatical anymore is that I cheer for the Bears and Vikings when they aren't playing Packers. That is the same attitude I take towards the Big Ten, I want my team to play in a good conference.

In some ways, football was more fun when I hated the Vikings and Bears and Mike Ditka back in the day.

Pugger
10-02-2012, 12:16 PM

That guy almost looks like Aramis Ramirez...

mmmdk
10-02-2012, 12:34 PM

Repped & Ripley'ed ! :lol: