PDA

View Full Version : Secondary "Communications Problems" ????

The Shadow
09-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Does it not seem like the Pack has had about 5 straight years of "communication problems" in the secondary?
What the hell is going on??????
Why do the Packers seem the only team in football who cannot quite ever get their secondary to "communicate" adequately?????
I think it might be long overdue to begin really critically evaluating the secondary coaches - and figuring out exactly why - game after game after game after game- our defensive backs continue to be unable to "communicate". Shields thought he had safety help???? GAG!!!
Perhaps the dfensive backs have never been formally introduced to each other?

pbmax
09-30-2012, 09:17 PM
It is ridiculous. We all understand getting beat esp. when the QB has time, but being unaware about safety help, or the safety vacating incorrectly is ridiculous.

Shields and Burnett have had this taught to them for 3 years.

digitaldean
09-30-2012, 09:19 PM
No chuck of ANY kind off line for Colston or Moore. NO WRs found seams in zone EVERY time. If that's the case shouldn't they try press man coverage instead? Johnson and Daniels will run rough shot over this defense if they don't get this remedied.

pbmax
09-30-2012, 09:25 PM
Its weird. The Packers during the Super Bowl year were one of the few teams to slow down New England and they did it by pressing all the receivers to disrupt routes. But they chose not to do this versus the Saints who provide some of the same matchup problems.

Woodson is no longer at corner, but he is in slot in nickel. Not sure why unless its safety related.

Joemailman
09-30-2012, 09:26 PM
They had Shields on the phone, so I think that was on Sam. I sometimes wonder though if the Packers do too much substituting in their sub-packages. They have 4 guys playing Safety right now. Does this hurt the communication? Just grasping at straws here.

Pugger
10-01-2012, 06:20 AM
What is crazy is some folks think we should can Capers and put one of our DB coaches in charge of the defense instead. :shock:

mraynrand
10-01-2012, 06:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtwVQlWjBvA

Patler
10-01-2012, 08:55 AM
I raised the question last year, whether Witt and Perry are all they are cracked up to be as coaches. On the other hand, this year they are working with a lot of rookies back there. I also think Shields will always be a guy who has a blown coverage now and then. It is starting to look that way, anyway. I'm not sure he will ever "get it" completely. Still a valuable player, though.

pbmax
10-01-2012, 09:03 AM
I have hope for Shields as he seems to take to coaching, at least over the long term. He has responded to being challenged for the starting gig by being tougher and surer in his tackling.

Someone else made the point that the safeties are always on the move in this defense, so moving Wood out of safety to slot and bringing in a rookie or 2nd year player probably isn't helping. And a 3rd year player (Burnett) needs to take charge.

Patler
10-01-2012, 09:09 AM
I have hope for Shields as he seems to take to coaching, at least over the long term. He has responded to being challenged for the starting gig by being tougher and surer in his tackling.

True, but then on the long pass play he catches up to the guy and punches at the ball instead of making a sure tackle. He needed to make sure of the tackle first in that situation, because no one else would get there in time.

Their receiver is supposed to be a pretty fast guy, too. Shields sure ran him down in a hurry, didn't he? The guy can move.

Packers4Glory
10-01-2012, 10:05 AM
It's what happens when you have inexperienced safeties rotating into the starting lineup. Losing Collins really hurt more than anyone may realize.

denverYooper
10-01-2012, 10:58 AM
It's what happens when you have inexperienced safeties rotating into the starting lineup. Losing Collins really hurt more than anyone may realize.

It was a huge factor, IMO. And a good reason that they are not leaking big plays and 3rd downs at the same rate as last year could very well be McMillan's play.

rbaloha1
10-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Ridiculous.

SS is the prototypical great athlete lacking in other upstairs areas.

pbmax
10-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Ridiculous.

SS is the prototypical great athlete lacking in other upstairs areas.

Its his fourth year playing CB. He still is climbing the learning curve.

Patler
10-01-2012, 04:51 PM

I agree that losing Collins hurt a lot, but they had communications issues 2 and 3 years ago when Collins was playing. In fact, they had similar problems even before we had Capers/Witt/Parry to blame.

MadScientist
10-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Just noted that part of the problem was Burnett having the receiver instead of Smith, so they could use the 7 DB package. Should have given it to Woodson instead.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/172179231.html

Doesn't explain the 80 yard TD play, though.

Packers4Glory
10-01-2012, 06:05 PM
I agree that losing Collins hurt a lot, but they had communications issues 2 and 3 years ago when Collins was playing. In fact, they had similar problems even before we had Capers/Witt/Parry to blame.

Collins was also playing w/ a revolving cast at the saftey spot next to him. How many guys did we have? They were probably their most stable w/ Bigby back there but he couldn't stay healthy. Injuries at safety have caused all sorts of chaos.

rbaloha1
10-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Collins masked errors due to his ability to cover half the filed in a split second.

Burnett still makes too many coverage mistakes. At least MB is not biting on play action.

Jimx29
10-01-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm convinced that they think they can only have 10 players on defense

pbmax
10-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Just noted that part of the problem was Burnett having the receiver instead of Smith, so they could use the 7 DB package. Should have given it to Woodson instead.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/172179231.html

Doesn't explain the 80 yard TD play, though.

So that's what he was saying at the PC. I thought it was a comment tacked onto the answer about MD Jennings injury and the dollar defense.

It doesn't explain the 80 yard TD, but if a switch like that causes confusion for the front seven, it also might hurt secondary calls. I wonder if you can switch the radios back?