PDA

View Full Version : Cedric Benson overused?

Harlan Huckleby
10-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Why aren't the other running backs getting some snaps? Benson is no spring chicken, need to protect his body and legs for playoffs.

The Vikings are spelling AP with Toby Gerhardt, the Bears mix Michael Bush with Forte.

mmmdk
10-02-2012, 11:51 AM
http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/

More schnapps for everybody!

Fritz
10-02-2012, 11:59 AM
http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/

More schnapps for everybody!

Overusing Benson? I thought he got better with more carries.

I say use him up like a slutty college party girl.

mmmdk
10-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Overusing Benson? I thought he got better with more carries.

I say use him up like a slutty college party girl.

What u saying? I'm talking schnapps, man!

Brandon494
10-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Once Starks comes back he'll take some of the carries away but Benson is use to carrying a big workload.

mraynrand
10-02-2012, 01:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AecspmmEUrA

Cheesehead Craig
10-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Don't we have to use Benson a lot to worry about his wear and tear?

Freak Out
10-02-2012, 06:12 PM
What happened to the future most dominant running back in Packer history? Still hurting?

gbgary
10-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Don't we have to use Benson a lot to worry about his wear and tear?

this! he's not even close to being overused.

averaging 18 carries a game. that's less than 5 per quarter. that's nothing.

Bretsky
10-02-2012, 07:55 PM
What happened to the future most dominant running back in Packer history? Still hurting?

He's picking flowers with Sherry....our future pro bowl LT :)

red
10-02-2012, 09:21 PM
whats he averaging? like 15 carries per game?

yeah, they're really killing him

Harlan Huckleby
10-02-2012, 11:26 PM
this! he's not even close to being overused.

averaging 18 carries a game. that's less than 5 per quarter. that's nothing.

18 carries is not nothing. The backups are kept rusty when they get no carries. I'd like to see a second back groomed for action, which will also take some of the injury risk off Benson.

HarveyWallbangers
10-02-2012, 11:40 PM
He's only averaging 16.0 carries/game. We run so seldom that there's barely enough carries to keep a primary back happy. I'm okay with Benson getting 16 carries/game. The guy is a horse. He's averaged 18.2, 20.1, 23.2, 17.8, 17.8 carries/game in his last 5 years. He's just plain better than our other RBs, so use him as much as you can. It's not like he's a young guy that you want to keep low mileage on for future years. He's on a one year contract. Might as well wear the treads off his tires.

Tony Oday
10-03-2012, 07:28 AM
The rest of the RBs on this roster suck. We will draft an RB and a WR 1-2 next year.

Harlan Huckleby
10-03-2012, 09:11 AM
The guy is a horse. He's averaged 18.2, 20.1, 23.2, 17.8, 17.8 carries/game in his last 5 years. He's just plain better than our other RBs, so use him as much as you can. It's not like he's a young guy that you want to keep low mileage on for future years. He's on a one year contract. Might as well wear the treads off his tires.

Benson is also being targeted frequently as a pass reciever, so he's taking a lot of hits.

The idea is not to preserve him for next year, the point is to keep him healthy for later in this season. And the other issue is to have a 2nd back who is game ready and getting better.

Patler
10-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Starks isn't ready.
They seem concerned with Green's knee.
Sain is Sain, and also had a hamstring issue late in camp.

Benson is the only one full healthy, and needs as much work as possible to familiarize himself with the offense, to become comfortable with it. The are killing two birds with one stone, letting the other three backs get as healthy as possible, and getting Benson as comfortable as possible as quickly as possible. I expect in the upcoming weeks we will see other backs playing more.

pbmax
10-03-2012, 10:40 AM
McCarthy said the practice week determines who is active on Sunday when asked about Starks. Starks doesn't play a lot of Special Teams, so he has to make it as backup RB. M3 usually uses this line to emphasize the need to show performance in practice, so he could still be bothered by that toe or rusty.

Fritz
10-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Starks isn't ready.
They seem concerned with Green's knee.
Sain is Sain, and also had a hamstring issue late in camp.

Benson is the only one full healthy, and needs as much work as possible to familiarize himself with the offense, to become comfortable with it. The are killing two birds with one stone, letting the other three backs get as healthy as possible, and getting Benson as comfortable as possible as quickly as possible. I expect in the upcoming weeks we will see other backs playing more.

I am curious mostly about Green's lack of snaps. Are they nursing him because of his knee, are they afraid he'll fumble or botch assignments, or is the offense going in a different direction than his strengths would play to? All of the above? Some?

I thought he'd get maybe four to seven snaps per game, just to ease his way in.

Bossman641
10-03-2012, 12:29 PM
I am curious mostly about Green's lack of snaps. Are they nursing him because of his knee, are they afraid he'll fumble or botch assignments, or is the offense going in a different direction than his strengths would play to? All of the above? Some?

I thought he'd get maybe four to seven snaps per game, just to ease his way in.

X 2. The way they were increasing his snap count during the preseason and talking him up has me really confused as to what exactly is going on so far.

George Cumby
10-03-2012, 02:28 PM
X 2. The way they were increasing his snap count during the preseason and talking him up has me really confused as to what exactly is going on so far.

Keeping him in reserve for later in the season, the same way they did with Starks during the SB run?

Harlan Huckleby
10-03-2012, 03:49 PM
I don't get it, your #2 back should be getting 5 snaps a game with the offense, just to keep your insurance policy current.

Part of what has happened is Cedric Benson has proven to be a capable pass catcher, did he ever show that skill on other teams? Green's opportunities as a third down back are out the door.

Brandon494
10-03-2012, 03:55 PM

I'm going to mark your words on that.

pbmax
10-03-2012, 03:56 PM

Speaking of Alex Green boosterism, where the heck is Justin? :)

MadtownPacker
10-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Well dont piss on your screen.

BTW - Love the lil Brandon avatar! Made me laugh.

Bretsky
10-03-2012, 06:21 PM

Are you sayingh he's going to be a dominant RB or are you just stating you'll remember this so you can call him out just in case he's wrong ?

Freak Out
10-03-2012, 06:37 PM
I was poking fun at JH. Mark away all you want though 494. :)

George Cumby
10-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Well dont piss on your screen.

BTW - Love the lil Brandon avatar! Made me laugh.

I repped him and told him that was the Best.Avatar.Ever.

Fucker didn't even give me a reach around.

Dick .:-)

rbaloha1
10-03-2012, 08:35 PM
No.

Benson is still getting timing down with o-line and finding the cutback lanes.

Agree that Benson is the type of back which wears down a defense and gets more yardage later in the game.

KYPack
10-03-2012, 09:25 PM
I repped him and told him that was the Best.Avatar.Ever.

Fucker didn't even give me a reach around.

Dick .:-)

Reach around?

Check w/ Golden Tate.

On Ced, when he was still an FA, there was a thread on whether to sign him or not.

I said no.

I was referring to Bad Ced. He can be a real grumpy fucker when he doesn't get his carries.

Good Ced is a good hand to have around. He is a gut bucket runner, as everyone can see. He wasn't that great at pass pro when he came to Cincy, but man, he worked at it and that's a strong part of his game. He's an OK reciever, he has poor hands, but again he's put in the work to make himself an NFL pass catching back.

The other thing about Ced is he has serious Bear hate. They fucked him over pretty good in Chitown. Ced lights up like a Christmas tree when his side is playing the Bears.

Guy has kept his mouth shut, put his head down and works his ass off.

So, I'll say I was wrong. Ced was a good sign & I'm glad we did it.

mraynrand
10-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Reach around?

Check w/ Golden Tate.

:lol:
repped