PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Boss out for season from concussion

Guiness
10-03-2012, 03:21 PM
This is a first as far as I know - doctors told Kevin Boss he would not be cleared to play for the rest of the season after the concussion he suffered against Buffalo.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbbtyqPqn91rge74zo1_400.jpg

Usually these things are week-to-week, it's a change in behavior to rule him out for the season after a single concussion - if he has had another this season, I don't see any reports of it.

pbmax
10-03-2012, 03:43 PM
I am guessing there is a history here or the tests revealed something more sever than typical.

Patler
10-03-2012, 03:53 PM
This might explain it:

Doctors told Boss that they wouldn't be able to clear him at any point this season. It's not a surprise for a player with at least four serious concussions on his resume.

MadtownPacker
10-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Just add his ass to the class action suit!

Fuck it, maybe I will sue one of the factories I use to work at for minimum wage. Im sure one of them caused me back problems or some shit. Too bad for me I didnt get paid millions....

Guiness
10-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Fuck it, maybe I will sue one of the factories I use to work at for minimum wage. Im sure one of them caused me back problems or some shit. Too bad for me I didnt get paid millions....

You got minimum wage? You must've had some seniority!

mraynrand
10-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Maybe he and Garçon can open a Haitian Cafe together - but they probably shouldn't do any contact stuff ever again, or suffer the fate of:

http://www.1043thefan.com/Pics/alfredAndD-Mac/jim_mcmahon.jpg

Guiness
10-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Doctors told Boss that they wouldn't be able to clear him at any point this season. It's not a surprise for a player with at least four serious concussions on his resume.

Didn't see that. Article pointed out he's been relatively injury free, missing only 7 games in 5 years - I guess that's not bad for a TE.

MadtownPacker
10-03-2012, 06:04 PM
You got minimum wage? You must've had some seniority!
Well I did but it was really for 2 jobs. The work I had to do plus being an interpreter for the patron. :lol:

But the way I see it these guys are not military veterans, why should they get anything more than the common joe gets. I got chemical shit sprayed around me, handled molten plastics, all kinds of shit I'm sure was not healthy. You know that none of this can be good for you but that's what you agree to do for the pay. I'm not saying nothing should be done for these guys, like some healthcare assistance. Maybe some kind of pension based on league revenue at the time the individual played. MFers like mcmahon capitalized on the NFL just like it did on them. If he fucked it off and now he is paying for that fame and fortune I cant say I feel a bit bad for him.

Freak Out
10-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Looks like his neck was broken judging by that photo.

Guiness
10-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Well I did but it was really for 2 jobs. The work I had to do plus being an interpreter for the patron. :lol:

But the way I see it these guys are not military veterans, why should they get anything more than the common joe gets. I got chemical shit sprayed around me, handled molten plastics, all kinds of shit I'm sure was not healthy. You know that none of this can be good for you but that's what you agree to do for the pay. I'm not saying nothing should be done for these guys, like some healthcare assistance. Maybe some kind of pension based on league revenue at the time the individual played. MFers like mcmahon capitalized on the NFL just like it did on them. If he fucked it off and now he is paying for that fame and fortune I cant say I feel a bit bad for him.

The only thing I can say is that there is a ridiculous amount of them that are flat broke. One of the better things the NFL did for its players was not the safety side of things, it was making them attend financial planing seminars. PB's right, that million isn't really a million, but it's still a lot more than most of us will see, and like Forest Gump after he invested in that fruit company, they shouldn't have to worry about money no more.

gbgary
10-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Usually these things are week-to-week, it's a change in behavior to rule him out for the season after a single concussion - if he has had another this season, I don't see any reports of it.

see marc savard, boston bruins.

Patler
10-03-2012, 09:35 PM

Yup.
Sidney Crosby was out nearly a year over two seasons in 2011 (early January to late November).
Brewer's third baseman Corey Koskie's career was ended from a concussion sustained in a simple fall on the field. He tried a comeback 2 1/2 seasons later, but retired instead.

With the new emphasis, I suspect we will see more and more players missing significant time, and careers ended very early due to concussions.

KYPack
10-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Jahvid Best of Det has been out for a year with a concussion.

You'd think they have better methods of telling who is at risk nowdays.

mraynrand
10-03-2012, 09:56 PM
With the new emphasis, I suspect we will see more and more players missing significant time, and careers ended very early due to concussions.

I think that's a good thing. Ask Jim McMahon - and hope he can answer you.

Cheesehead Craig
10-03-2012, 10:02 PM
He's obviously a pussy.

Guiness
10-04-2012, 12:16 AM

Savard had a few though - and two quite quickly that led to him being shut down for the season. Crosby as well I think? I'm not sure.

I get that concussions can cause long periods of absence, but most of what I heard was that happened after if you got a couple, became more susceptible to them, etc. What I was commenting on in the OP was that it seemed to me like it was his first one and he was being shut down. From what others have said though, he did have more.

swede
10-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Savard had a few though - and two quite quickly that led to him being shut down for the season. Crosby as well I think? I'm not sure.

I get that concussions can cause long periods of absence, but most of what I heard was that happened after if you got a couple, became more susceptible to them, etc. What I was commenting on in the OP was that it seemed to me like it was his first one and he was being shut down. From what others have said though, he did have more.

The greatest concern is that players return before being fully healed. It is the re-injury that happens before complete recovery that can lead to death or serious and permanent neurological complications. There seem to be long-term problems associated with multiple concussions as well.

The injury itself is the brain bouncing off of the inside of the skull following sudden impact. There is no reason to believe that, once healed, a person is subsequently more susceptible to injury. It may well be, though, that the physical characteristics of one person's brain, skull and cerebral fluids make an individual uniquely susceptible to concussion injuries. The second and third and fourth concussions are not caused by the first concussion, but an extension of an original predisposition to concussions.

I think any person with a regard for his or her own long-term health should get out of a business that has caused you to have any more than four or five concussions within a five or six year span of time. My son is one concussion away from hanging it up, as the next one is his fourth in six years; this is the advice of a neurologist that cleared him to play this year.

wootah
10-04-2012, 08:37 AM
I think any person with a regard for his or her own long-term health should get out of a business that has caused you to have any more than four or five concussions within a five or six year span of time. My son is one concussion away from hanging it up, as the next one is his fourth in six years; this is the advice of a neurologist that cleared him to play this year.

This.

I think I will live to see the day where sports who have the specific aim to knock an opponent out will be forbidden and considered a savage custom from the past.

gbgary
10-04-2012, 11:48 PM
This.

I think I will live to see the day where sports who have the specific aim to knock an opponent out will be forbidden and considered a savage custom from the past.

don't hold your breath. it ain't gonna happen. it's a free society and you want to put yourself in harms way to make a lucrative living it's your prerogative.

wootah
10-05-2012, 12:57 AM
don't hold your breath. it ain't gonna happen. it's a free society and you want to put yourself in harms way to make a lucrative living it's your prerogative.

Are you not entertained?

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/008/005/areyounotentertained.jpg

gbgary
10-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Are you not entertained?

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/008/005/areyounotentertained.jpg

he was a slave.

wootah
10-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Not all of them were.