PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Article Evaluating Finley

Patler
10-06-2012, 10:07 AM
I think this is an excellent analysis of Finley's game, potential and problems:

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20121005/PKR01/310050406/Green-Bay-Packers-Jermichael-Finley-remains-an-enigma?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

The comparisons to Jackson and Harris are spot-on.
Brings up a concern I had, that defenses would back off their coverages on him.
Implies his high profile personality might be wearing a little thin putting extra pressure on him.
I agree, with Jennings out, now is his opportunity.

pbmax
10-06-2012, 12:56 PM
It would be more convincing if fact checkers at the GBPG caught the Dan rather than Rob Gronkowski mention. Unless I am missing the joke.

denverYooper
10-06-2012, 02:04 PM
I agree with the thrust of the article that Finley's problem could be upstairs. He was "off" of Twitter for the most part until Baratzgate caused him to issue public statements defending both his agent/friend and his quarterback.

Anyhow, things might be turning around for him. Maybe part of it is defenses backing off some, but he's been playing better since the Bears game. Maybe that was him hitting bottom.

denverYooper
10-06-2012, 02:06 PM
It would be more convincing if fact checkers at the GBPG caught the Dan rather than Rob Gronkowski mention. Unless I am missing the joke.

I really wanted to make a visual joke about Gronk and Zubaz, but Google Image Search became a portal into a strange little universe.

mraynrand
10-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Finley is awesome. Just wait all you naysayers, he will bust it up.

pbmax
10-07-2012, 09:13 AM
He is on a one game hot streak.

denverYooper
10-07-2012, 09:22 AM
He is on a one game hot streak.

His game against Seattle was decent. 4 catches in 5 targets for 60 yards. One nasty chip that I can remember.

Iron Mike
10-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Finley is awesome. Just wait all you naysayers, he will bust it up.

Yeah, he was awesome today. Was it two or three drops before he sprained his vagine???

mraynrand
10-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Yeah, he was awesome today. Was it two or three drops before he sprained his vagine???

They had a lot of very nice two yard patterns all queued up for him. What a weapon!

Harlan Huckleby
10-07-2012, 04:22 PM
I don't think Finley is better than DJ Williams. That's not to say that Finley is doggy doo - he stretches the defenses.

sheepshead
10-07-2012, 04:23 PM

Im tired of this 'project'. There are a few former Packer coaches who would have benched his sorry ass long ago with all these drops. (most in the NFL)

I say it's time to move on.

red
10-07-2012, 04:24 PM

is this for this weeks game or last week

i know he had 3 this week before he injured himself while dropping a pass

he's got to be close to 10 drops already this year. they said today that he has 17 drops over the last 20 games. but honestly, that total seems low

mraynrand
10-07-2012, 04:27 PM
they said today that he has 17 drops over the last 20 games. but honestly, that total seems low

That was correct coming in. But he's dropped 18% - one in five - of the passes targeted to him. Since the Packers can't pass protect properly to allow him to dominate DBs split wide, or LBs inside, he isn't going to look any better than any other pass catcher, and with his drops, he looks worse.

digitaldean
10-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Finley needs to benched vs Houston. Send a message to his sorry ass. If he can't get himself in gear after that, his future in Green Bay will be out the door.

Harlan Huckleby
10-07-2012, 04:42 PM
I like the idea of benching Finley.

He's not contributing - why not? Help TT in his negotiations. Make Finley long snap.

red
10-07-2012, 05:16 PM
he's long overdue for a benching.

no other player in the nfl would be able to get away with 3 drops nd 1 catch per game and still start

swede
10-07-2012, 08:37 PM
One of the reasons I come to Packerrats, and not other Packer sites, is that the other places won't let you insist that Jermichael Finley sprained his vagina while dropping another pass.

I thought that Aaron threaded a pass to him in the end zone that was money. It hit him in the hands. And she dropped it.

Harlan Huckleby
10-07-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm flashing back to Ben "Hands of" Steele

Pugger
10-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Im tired of this 'project'. There are a few former Packer coaches who would have benched his sorry ass long ago with all these drops. (most in the NFL)

I say it's time to move on.

Then you must think Williams is better. Or should we start Crabtree? Taylor? He drops passes but at least he gets open, that's more than others did today.

George Cumby
10-08-2012, 12:11 AM
Bring back Ed West!

Packers4Glory
10-08-2012, 08:49 AM
I'd make him the 2nd string guy. THAT sends a message to get dropped on the depth chart. I want to like him. he's got a shit ton of talent and physical ability. However I trust Crabtree and even DJ more than I trust Finley at this point.

mraynrand
10-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Finley will beast it up the rest of the season. Bank on it. Seriously, get on the phone to Vegas right now. New gloves, baby.

Patler
10-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Then you must think Williams is better. Or should we start Crabtree? Taylor? He drops passes but at least he gets open, that's more than others did today.

There are times when a lesser talent who is more reliable is a better option than a greater talent who can't be counted on. Defenses are daring the Packers to grind out drives. That requires a running game and shorter routes in the passing game. Drops, sacks, poor route running and negative runs tend to kill those drives.

pbmax
10-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Seriously, they should call Ed West. Just to see ....

Ed West could block and catch a 5 yard pass (mainly because he would be undefended) with the best of them.

Patler
10-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Seriously, they should call Ed West. Just to see ....

Ed West could block and catch a 5 yard pass (mainly because he would be undefended) with the best of them.

I would take Bubba Franks. Just as good of a blocker as West, and Bubba could catch 6 and 7 yard passes! :smile: :smile:

Smidgeon
10-08-2012, 11:04 AM

I'm still holding out hope for Quarless. He's athletic and was known as a pass-catcher in college. But in the NFL, he worked hard at being able to block well. With another year in the system, he should know the routes. He might become effective too, but I was honestly more impressed with Williams yesterday than Quarless last year.

I'm tired of being teased by this Packers team.

red
10-08-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm still holding out hope for Quarless. He's athletic and was known as a pass-catcher in college. But in the NFL, he worked hard at being able to block well. With another year in the system, he should know the routes. He might become effective too, but I was honestly more impressed with Williams yesterday than Quarless last year.

I'm tired of being teased by this Packers team.

is quarless even on the team anymore? i thought he was cut

but i could be way wrong

Pugger
10-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Quarless is on the PUP list. Lord knows when/if he'll be back this season. I hope Williams can produce. He had an opportunity to shine yesterday after Finley got hurt but after a couple of catches he disappeared too.

Bossman641
10-09-2012, 05:12 PM
What happened to this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnWzc-PnvUE

Remember when the fade to him in the end zone was almost automatic? Is it possible he still isn't all the way back from the knee injury? The guy in the video doesn't resemble the current #88 at all. It seems like he can't get anything vertical.

Freak Out
10-09-2012, 05:17 PM
That was a long time ago it seems.......

Smidgeon
10-10-2012, 10:28 AM
What happened to this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnWzc-PnvUE

Remember when the fade to him in the end zone was almost automatic? Is it possible he still isn't all the way back from the knee injury? The guy in the video doesn't resemble the current #88 at all. It seems like he can't get anything vertical.

First, nobody is getting anything vertical this year. Seems like.

Second, maybe Finley should watch this video and remember that he can do these things and doesn't have to worry about thinking too much.

Smidgeon
10-10-2012, 10:35 AM
First, nobody is getting anything vertical this year. Seems like.

Second, maybe Finley should watch this video and remember that he can do these things and doesn't have to worry about thinking too much.

Actually, I'm wondering if it's simply that other teams have learned how to defend Finley. Give him free release, he's fine. Make him fight for his route, he's not. Also, no more body catches. Make him use his hands.

Upnorth
10-10-2012, 10:40 AM
I would take Bubba Franks. Just as good of a blocker as West, and Bubba could catch 6 and 7 yard passes! :smile: :smile:

But only in the red zone.

George Cumby
10-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Actually, I'm wondering if it's simply that other teams have learned how to defend Finley. Give him free release, he's fine. Make him fight for his route, he's not. Also, no more body catches. Make him use his hands.

Actually, I think that teams have realized that they don't have to roll the coverage his way anymore. I think the opposing teams have realized that he doesn't pose that kind of threat, therefore they can focus their attention elsewhere which is why we can't get the deep ball anymore.

Smidgeon
10-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Actually, I think that teams have realized that they don't have to roll the coverage his way anymore. I think the opposing teams have realized that he doesn't pose that kind of threat, therefore they can focus their attention elsewhere which is why we can't get the deep ball anymore.

I was thinking more along the lines of maybe they just need one to bump him and play him physically instead of two to bracket and let him run. In that clip, a lot of his catches were in a zone between defenders. Excepting his end zone fades and one or two others, it didn't seem like every pass was contested. He'd catch it between guys, in stride, etc. This year, it seems that every catch he makes is with one or two guys already draped over him or about to be.

Has he not recovered from the knee injury enough to have that athleticism to get open against coverage? I don't know if that's even a legitimate question. I'm just trying to see if there are any other angles besides "Finley sucks".

Zool
10-10-2012, 11:53 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of maybe they just need one to bump him and play him physically instead of two to bracket and let him run.

Seems like this is the book on most of the Packer pass catchers. Jordy and Jennings are the same and they're getting a lot of press coverage.

mraynrand
10-10-2012, 11:54 AM
I need to do some actual film study, but my instinct tells me almost everyone posting here is full of crap. The Packers offense works because there are too many guys to cover, and that the fourth or fifth receiver totally outmatches the opposition's fourth and fifth defensive back or LB. Finley has to be accounted for, and with Jennings out, is a top target, and a top concern for the defense. So, the Packers have to go to Jones and Cobb down the passing tree, and Finley gets less. Unfortunately, he's dropping too many passes, but that doesn't mean he's lost his advantage in size and speed matchups. Will be interesting to see how often he's doubled, how often he has a corner on him, and how often he's left in single coverage with a LB of Safety, because the latter two are the matchups that he's exploited over the years. Those matchups existed in part because the defense had two or three guys watching Jennings (see Rodger's interception against SF for example).

Smidgeon
10-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Seems like this is the book on most of the Packer pass catchers. Jordy and Jennings are the same and they're getting a lot of press coverage.

And it almost explains why Jones is still producing. He's a physical receiver who fights for the ball.

denverYooper
10-10-2012, 04:25 PM
I need to do some actual film study, but my instinct tells me almost everyone posting here is full of crap.

You don't need film study to figure that one out.

pbmax
10-10-2012, 06:28 PM
The one part of Finley's game that I do think has always cost him is body catching. Unlike most body catchers, Finley can do both and that highlight reel shows it. But because he can choose how to do it, I think it takes away from developing one over the other. He's no Bubba Franks when it comes to bobbling a ball and then getting it on the second and third bobble, but you can't say its clean either. Lot of resets.

rbaloha1
10-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Body catching also has advantages -- Freeman made a career from it.

Should the drop continue, I would trade Finley at season's end. The colleges are producing more Finley types and would draft one early.

ThunderDan
10-11-2012, 02:23 PM

Should the drop continue, I would trade Finley at season's end. The colleges are producing more Finley types and would draft one early.

The only thing I can think of with body catches is that the ball hits a part of your equipment and recochets away.

Who are the best WRs of all time and how did they catch the ball?

Guiness
10-11-2012, 04:56 PM

There are a lot of his bodytype coming out - we had one in this year's TC. Everyone looks for the next Antonio Gates. Problem is, not all converted basketball PF's can play football, as that guy showed.

George Cumby
10-11-2012, 08:50 PM
I need to do some actual film study, but my instinct tells me almost everyone posting here is full of crap. The Packers offense works because there are too many guys to cover, and that the fourth or fifth receiver totally outmatches the opposition's fourth and fifth defensive back or LB. Finley has to be accounted for, and with Jennings out, is a top target, and a top concern for the defense. So, the Packers have to go to Jones and Cobb down the passing tree, and Finley gets less. Unfortunately, he's dropping too many passes, but that doesn't mean he's lost his advantage in size and speed matchups. Will be interesting to see how often he's doubled, how often he has a corner on him, and how often he's left in single coverage with a LB of Safety, because the latter two are the matchups that he's exploited over the years. Those matchups existed in part because the defense had two or three guys watching Jennings (see Rodger's interception against SF for example).

This would describe me. :-D

pbmax
10-11-2012, 09:53 PM

The only advantage come from when your arms are getting hit or pulled or you expect immediate contact and contesting of the catch and you would otherwise be unable to trap or stop the ball.

To do so regularly just adds item to the list of things the ball can bounce irregularly off. You can get away with it as Finley did for awhile, but its not helping. Freeman might have had fewer drops as well. Having a cast was a good excuse though.

mraynrand
10-12-2012, 10:30 AM
You all will be sorry bastards when Finley bursts out of his Igloo and dominates the second half of the season. It will be HSOTTO - Half Season of the takeover! HA HA HA HA HA SUCKERS!!!

Freak Out
10-12-2012, 11:40 AM
http://www.fishipedia.com/wp-content/uploads/Great-white-shark-fin-001.jpg