PDA

View Full Version : Packers vs. Texans Discussion Thread

Joemailman
10-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Injury Report:

MM says Benson will be out.
Raji and Finley have a chance to play.

Looks like James Starks will get his first action. They will need Raji and Pickett if they are to have any chance of success against Texans running game. Perhaps facing Texans front 7 will convince MM and Arod they have to go to a shorter passing game.

OS PA
10-08-2012, 04:34 PM
I am afraid to say that I'm optimistic about Starks returning to form this week. I hate how quick we are to turn on our players. Starks didn't really benefit from a great gameplan, nor did he have much of a line to run behind when he did. He's a serviceable back. I also am afraid to say that the Jeff Saturday experiment has to end. One of the (AWFUL) announcers from the game mentioned that a lot of the line calls were coming from and through Josh Sitton rather than Saturday. That just can't happen. A fair amount of our inside pressure has been a result of Jeff Saturday. Also Sitton and Lang are having down years because they're playing next to the weak link. Any chance EDS could step in and play?

denverYooper
10-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Boy howdy, I hope Raji can play.

wist43
10-08-2012, 04:46 PM
This game may force both MM and Capers to do things they don't like to do - tailor a game plan to their actual opponent as opposed to simply cut and paste the same game plan from week to week.

Given Houston's run heavy offense, Capers needs to go with a lot of 3 man lines - problem is our personnel really aren't true 3-4 players, so Capers will need to crowd the LOS, run blitz a lot, and hope the back end can hold up in man coverage. I don't expect Capers will do any of that though - we are likely to give up 8,000 yds rushing next week.

MM needs to shorten the passing game up... if he comes out with his 15 yd and deeper patterns that require 5 and 7 step drops, Rodgers won't make it out of the first half alive.

I don't expect us to be very competetive in this game... I expect Houston will put their hand on our head while we flail away with our moronic game plans on both sides of the ball.

Packers4Glory
10-08-2012, 04:54 PM
2-4 after this game. The Texans are maybe the best team in football and the most balanced offensively and defensively. Offensively they are really really balanced. They can beat you running or throwing something a lot of teams can't do. They've got 2 elite backs, an elite WR, and a very good TE. We are not playing well in any area of the game right now. Not a good time to be playing them. There is no mojo w/ this team. No sense of urgency. Looks like a lot of guys are just going thru the motions. They are not even fun to watch right now.

Freak Out
10-08-2012, 05:04 PM
The Packers stun the world and beat the Texans. The pass rush hammers Schaub and a ball control passing offense keeps the TOP in the Packers favor all day long.

pittstang5
10-08-2012, 05:14 PM
A zebra doesn't change his stripes. McCarthy is not going to change his playcalling. Doesn't matter that the entire Packer Nation can see that they need to run the ball more or step up the short game, McCarthy is going to continue to do what he's been doing. Sure, we might see a couple screens or runs here and there and as soon as that stuff starts working, he'll feel cocky and go right back to the deep stuff.

Texans are gonna roll all over the Pack. I expect a loss, I just don't want any injuries.

Joemailman
10-08-2012, 06:03 PM
A zebra doesn't change his stripes. McCarthy is not going to change his playcalling. Doesn't matter that the entire Packer Nation can see that they need to run the ball more or step up the short game, McCarthy is going to continue to do what he's been doing. Sure, we might see a couple screens or runs here and there and as soon as that stuff starts working, he'll feel cocky and go right back to the deep stuff.

Texans are gonna roll all over the Pack. I expect a loss, I just don't want any injuries.

Actually, my recollection is that in 2009, following the loss at Tampa Bay, the Packers did start going with more short stuff. Whether it was the actual playcalling, or whether it was Rodgers being less stubborn about wanting to go downfield so much I'm not sure. But from that point on, Rodgers did get rid of the ball quicker.

Pugger
10-08-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm not looking for a win here either. I just hope we can get out of Houston in one piece and concentrate on beating our division foes and see if we can get into the playoffs as a wild card. If not it isn't the end of the world. We've had a great run. Even the great teams have bumps in the road (off years in between big years). If we don't make the playoffs we'll get a higher pick in the next draft and go for it again in 2013.

mission
10-08-2012, 06:23 PM
We'll win. The NFL is crazy.

denverYooper
10-08-2012, 06:36 PM
We'll win. The NFL is crazy.

Funny, last week I was thinking that I wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers lose to the Colts and then beat the Texans.

3irty1
10-08-2012, 07:00 PM
I'll be surprised if we're not competitive but this sure does look like a matchup from hell right now. Who the hell knows though. This team isn't that different from the Bears. Its all a matter of which team comes to play the one who just wants to be in state farm and NFL redzone commercials or the one that wants to play football. At some point its just all about one-on-ones. Beating the player or coach across from you. With a very few unlikely exceptions, we have not be doing that. Nobody blocks, nobody gets open, nobody calls the right plays, nobody catches, nobody holds onto interceptions, nobody gets the penalty calls right.

Lord have mercy I hope Indy was rock bottom for this team.

Deputy Nutz
10-08-2012, 07:06 PM
The Packers will beat the Texans. McCarthy's teams don't like to lose two games in a row.

I am not worried about the Texans running the ball against the Packers. They can't beat the Packers by just running the ball, what will kill this defense is their inability to stop the pass or the run with the same defensive personnel. The Packers played a lot of dime in the second half and they got eaten alive both by the pass and the run.

Joemailman
10-08-2012, 07:41 PM
The Packers will beat the Texans. McCarthy's teams don't like to lose two games in a row.

That is true. It happened twice in 2010, but in both cases injuries were a huge factor. It happened late in the year at New England when Rodgers was out. It happened earlier against Miami when the defense was decimated with injuries. Matthews, Pickett and Jenkins missed that game. It was right after that that the Packers picked up Howard Green. In both cases though, the Packers were within an eyelash of winning. They'll be in the game Sunday night, despite what some people might think.

OS PA
10-08-2012, 08:23 PM
When was the last time the Packers lost by multiple possessions? (Playoff loss to NYG excluded)

mmmdk
10-08-2012, 08:40 PM
I guarantee Texans beats Packers on SNF. :mrgreen: Not sure that's such a bad thing [to guarantee].

Joemailman
10-08-2012, 08:45 PM
When was the last time the Packers lost by multiple possessions? (Playoff loss to NYG excluded)

November 8, 2009 lost to Tampa Bay 38-28.

Cheesehead Craig
10-08-2012, 09:19 PM
One thing about Schaub is that he's not mobile. He can be vulnerable to a pass rush. The Pack have done a fairly solid job of getting pressure this year so far and with a QB that could be less mobile then Cutler, things could be good on that front.

wist43
10-08-2012, 09:43 PM
One thing about Schaub is that he's not mobile. He can be vulnerable to a pass rush. The Pack have done a fairly solid job of getting pressure this year so far and with a QB that could be less mobile then Cutler, things could be good on that front.

We can get occassional pressure, but even if we get a sack on 2nd down, and it becomes 3rd and 17, you know Capers will rush 2 and play very loose zone on the next snap - move the chains.

Capers won't bring consistent pressure... it's not in his nature. He'll sit back in lazy zones and hope for a pick.

Smidgeon
10-08-2012, 09:54 PM
That is true. It happened twice in 2010, but in both cases injuries were a huge factor. It happened late in the year at New England when Rodgers was out. It happened earlier against Miami when the defense was decimated with injuries. Matthews, Pickett and Jenkins missed that game. It was right after that that the Packers picked up Howard Green. In both cases though, the Packers were within an eyelash of winning. They'll be in the game Sunday night, despite what some people might think.

Well, it's possible this will be another team decimated by injury:

Greg Jennings
Cedric Benson
Finley nursing a shoulder
BJ Raji not in full form
Ryan Pickett not in full form

That's 5 starters with the "next man up" being a significant step down (even if you argue Nelson is roughly on Jenning's plane, the next man in is Driver since he's the one coming off the bench). The defense collapsed after Raji's injury. I imagine that he and Pickett will combine to be one serviceable position. But there's another big body. Plus, two of the more talented receivers are injured/out. Don't know what to expect. A bounce back or a second loss in a row due to injury.

But none of that matters if Rodgers finally shows up to play like he did last year.

George Cumby
10-08-2012, 10:25 PM
MM and Dom continue their brain-dead ways.

McCarthy calls pass on 12 consecutive plays to start the first half resulting in four three and outs and six sacks.. The sacks because Rodgers holds onto the ball for 12.9 seconds every play. Rodgers vomits and shits blood for the next six weeks courtesy of JJWatt.

Meanwhile, Dom, in a fit of manic-"genius", calls a 0-0-11 zone four times in the first half on third and long. Schaub, displaying the mental acuity of a road-killed possum, audibles to run, with TD runs of 67, 45, 81 and 52 being the result.

Kevin Greene finally goes berserk, stuffs Winston Moss's head into a Gatorade cooler, suits up and replaces Walden. He immediately pulls a groin muscle and is hospitalized.

AJHawk comes out of the closet and stating "Not only do I like little dogs, I like dick, too." He then immediately quits the team and signs a contract to play the lead in "Beach Blanket Babylon" after pushing a golfer into a water hazard.

Finely, despite a 5 gallon Massengil enema, still has a sore vag' and drops five passes that hit him squarely in the hands. In a fit of juvenile pique, Finley amputates his own hands just to show them who is boss.

The offensive line continues to offend and realizes that they lack a pair of balls between the five of them and join Hawk in BBB.

Woodson and CMIII continue to ball, despite the conspiracy of dunces surrounding them.

37-17, Texans.

*sigh*

I feel a little better now. Thank you for listening.

OS PA
10-08-2012, 10:43 PM
OK JJ Watt is the best defensive player in the league.

gbgary
10-08-2012, 11:12 PM
we're a much less complete team than they are. what's to discuss?

Bossman641
10-08-2012, 11:34 PM
Bout the only positive thing I can manage to say is that the last time we had an away game that nobody was giving the Packers a chance in, Flynn came within an OL kickoff return of outdueling Brady in Foxboro and it kick started the SB run.

mraynrand
10-08-2012, 11:48 PM

November 8, 2009 lost to Tampa Bay 38-28.

That's why all the doom and gloomers really need to take their meds. For Chrissakes, I have my issues with the team, with the coaches, etc. etc. But I live in Cleveland. Packer fans are so damn spoiled that they've lost perspective. Teams lose games, most times far more horribly and far more frequently than the Packers have in the Stubby era.

pbmax
10-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Last time the Packers played an overwhelming favorite from Texas they beat the Cowboys*. Everyone needs to stop bailing before the first snap.

*Was at home though :lol:

Pugger
10-09-2012, 08:10 AM
I just pray we get out of there without another major injury.

denverYooper
10-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Few things:

The Texans didn't blow the Jets away last night. The Jets had to play fairly aggressively* but they hung around. Sanchez did not fare terribly against Houston's defense and had some opportunities downfield, even though the Jets were reduced to sending Cromartie on some of those. They also let the Broncos just hang around after hitting some early long TDs in that game, to the point where Denver had a comeback attempt at the end. So I don't think the Texans are this juggernaut that will just roll over the Packers. In fact, I don't think they have more talent than the Packers. The one team in my mind with a clear talent lean on Green Bay is the 49ers.

What the Texans do have over the Packers is that they have their shit together. They know who they are and they're confident. Like the 49ers, their ascension has been long in the making, through several years' worth of missed promises. They have the late 90's Broncos rushing attack and a very good, though not impenetrable D with 1 clear blue chipper and a few other very good players. They have a quarterback in Schaub who takes care of the ball and can throw downfield when the opportunities are there (Sam Shields, NO peeking in the backfield this game!) and they have a former all-pro receiver in the twilight of his career. What it comes down to is that they're just playing all around solid football as a team and it looks like they are often of the hive mind humming along.

THAT team is solid and hard to beat but not the juggernaut they're being made out to be, mostly by Packers fans. The question, cliche though it may be, is what Green Bay team will show up on Sunday? M3 has a history of having the team up and ready for these games but man, the offense really is sort of a mess at the moment and I don't know what to expect out of them. Maybe this is the game they need to get some moxie back.

*Going for it on 4th and inches multiple times in their own territory, which is either foolish or brilliant depending on whether you buy into the stat geeks' claims on it.

denverYooper
10-09-2012, 09:31 AM
OK JJ Watt is the best defensive player in the league.

No doubt about that but Clay is probably distant but striking distance second.

Von Miller is in that striking distance group too, but is not getting the media attention that Watt is getting because the other players on his line are not as solid. He had 5 TFL and 2 sacks against the Pats and their super quick hitter offense. His play has been shockingly good, even for a guy who put up great numbers as a rook. Last year he had some struggles in the run game and he is blowing it up this year.

Lotta games left yet...

mraynrand
10-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Packers can exploit the Texan's secondary. Take 7 to 11 step drops, have everyone run 35-50 yards down field and throw deep all game long. I see an epic 72-21 Packer victory.

mmmdk
10-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Packers need a win, if not, then even reaching .500 for the season is becoming a reach. I don't see Packers winning in Texas this sunday!

Cheesehead Craig
10-09-2012, 01:10 PM
We can get occassional pressure, but even if we get a sack on 2nd down, and it becomes 3rd and 17, you know Capers will rush 2 and play very loose zone on the next snap - move the chains.

Capers won't bring consistent pressure... it's not in his nature. He'll sit back in lazy zones and hope for a pick.

Dammit wist, let me have some sunshine! :butt:

Packers4Glory
10-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Packers can exploit the Texan's secondary. Take 7 to 11 step drops, have everyone run 35-50 yards down field and throw deep all game long. I see an epic 72-21 Packer victory.

we couldn't exploit a secondary w/ 2 back up CB's starting.

teams have figured out how to defend us which is taking away the deep play. our WR are not getting open or winning 1 on 1 matchups.

Freak Out
10-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Chicken mother fucking little's or realists?

QBME
10-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Never want to wish ill on someone, but Brian Cushing is out for the year, which will make the offenses job not as quite as difficult. Any port in the storm..

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8483657/houston-texans-brian-cushing-season-torn-acl

mraynrand
10-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Never want to wish ill on someone, but Brian Cushing is out for the year, which will make the offenses job not as quite as difficult. Any port in the storm..

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8483657/houston-texans-brian-cushing-season-torn-acl

That sucks. I like watching him play. He is out of his mind insane.

Freak Out
10-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Was he still juicing?

denverYooper
10-09-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm actually starting to get a little bit excited for this game. It has the potential to be a very good football game in general.

The Packers are reeling a bit, but I feel they'll give the Texans a heck of a ride. I'm not sure they'll win but this should be a gut check game and I think the Packers now have something to prove, like they've just been lackadaisical and allowing themselves to get kicked around a bit. There are still a lot of good players with a lot of pride on that team so I'm expecting to see an "up" team and staff on Sunday night.

pittstang5
10-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Depressed - not sure if I'm still depressed from this past Sunday or depressed knowing the Packers have no chance in hell of winning this coming Sunday. Ho-hum.

Pugger
10-10-2012, 12:08 AM
I'm not very confident we'll beat Houston either. If I approach the game expecting to get beat I won't be disappointed if we do and will be pleasantly surprised if we win. And even if we do lose the season isn't toast. We have a lot of games within our division after the next 3 games and 2 of those we have a decent shot at a win. If we get our act together we can still sneak in as a wild card. We'll know for sure after the Jags game if we can get back above .500 or not.

pbmax
10-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Come on and pick yourself up people. The best time to front run is when the team is struggling. Yankee fans have a lot to teach us. :lol:

Packers will surprise a few people yet, and most of them are on this board saying they told us so.

Zool
10-10-2012, 09:45 AM
I informed you thusly.

3irty1
10-10-2012, 12:31 PM
MM and Dom continue their brain-dead ways.

McCarthy calls pass on 12 consecutive plays to start the first half resulting in four three and outs and six sacks.. The sacks because Rodgers holds onto the ball for 12.9 seconds every play. Rodgers vomits and shits blood for the next six weeks courtesy of JJWatt.

Meanwhile, Dom, in a fit of manic-"genius", calls a 0-0-11 zone four times in the first half on third and long. Schaub, displaying the mental acuity of a road-killed possum, audibles to run, with TD runs of 67, 45, 81 and 52 being the result.

Kevin Greene finally goes berserk, stuffs Winston Moss's head into a Gatorade cooler, suits up and replaces Walden. He immediately pulls a groin muscle and is hospitalized.

AJHawk comes out of the closet and stating "Not only do I like little dogs, I like dick, too." He then immediately quits the team and signs a contract to play the lead in "Beach Blanket Babylon" after pushing a golfer into a water hazard.

Finely, despite a 5 gallon Massengil enema, still has a sore vag' and drops five passes that hit him squarely in the hands. In a fit of juvenile pique, Finley amputates his own hands just to show them who is boss.

The offensive line continues to offend and realizes that they lack a pair of balls between the five of them and join Hawk in BBB.

Woodson and CMIII continue to ball, despite the conspiracy of dunces surrounding them.

37-17, Texans.

*sigh*

I feel a little better now. Thank you for listening.

:grin:

Fritz
10-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Come on and pick yourself up people. The best time to front run is when the team is struggling. Yankee fans have a lot to teach us. :lol:

Packers will surprise a few people yet, and most of them are on this board saying they told us so.

The question, of course, is whether the inconsistencies culminating in a piss-poor performance against Indy are an indication of a season-long malaise, such as (I think) 2007 or 08, when the team was awful, or whether these performances are the crucible that will form a stronger team by the end of the year.

Those looking short term tend to see the former, those looking long term sometimes see the latter.

The question of turning this around may ride in part upon MM's willingness to adapt and change. I was disappointed that he gave up on the run so quickly once Benson got hurt, although until that long run Alex Green wasn't impressing anyone.

So the team needs MM to adjust correctly, and needs Starks or Saine or someone to step up in the running back role.

Oh, and Rodgers needs to pull his head out of his butt.

Oh, and the offensive line needs to pull their heads out of each other's butts.

Oh, and Charles Woodson needs to stop being grabbier than a 15 year old boy at the homecoming.

But hey, it could happen. I remember walking out of Ford Field in Detroit in December 2010, thinking the Packers' season was fucked. I was convinced of such, and my conviction was confirmed the following week when the Packers lost against NE and looked DOA in terms of making the playoffs. And then somehow things changed. So it does happen. But will it?

I hope so, in part because I will be in Houston for that game. Damn, I'd like to see a Packer win.

hoosier
10-10-2012, 08:39 PM
The difference between the 2010 Packers and the 2012 team is that the 2010 edition gave up early on the idea that their offense could revolve around Finley.

mraynrand
10-10-2012, 08:46 PM
The difference between the 2010 Packers and the 2012 team is that the 2010 edition gave up early on the idea that their offense could revolve around Finley.

Finley is getting about the same action as the other three top receivers on the squad. And he should.

Smidgeon
10-11-2012, 12:14 AM

Only because he was injured in week 5. Before that, the offense was humming quite nicely running through Finley who was off to a stellar start to his year.

Fritz
10-11-2012, 06:22 AM
Well, after reading Rodgers' comment in the JSo that the team needs to come out with more intensity Sunday, and reading MM's comment about the team's practices not being good this year, I wonder if this team has an attitude problem.

denverYooper
10-11-2012, 07:20 AM
Rodgers (I think) mentioned something about how guys weren't performing scout team duties, etc with intensity. I don't know, I suppose there could an entitiled mentality among some of the newer guys (scout teamers). Would we have heard about their lack of intensity if they didn't lose? It must have been a leadership conversation because that's where I'm hearing it.

Maybe it's just a failure of the leadership.

denverYooper
10-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Part of the thing is, the Colts were coming off of a week of rest and so were bound to have a bit of an advantage in terms of second half energy. So that combined with the Packers being in coast mode came back to bite them in the heiney. In this game, the Packers should have a *slight* rest advantage because the Texans played on Monday and they should have no reason for guys to be dogging it this week -- they just got embarassed and and the underdog on SNF. So the intensity excuse should be out the window.

pbmax
10-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Its tough when you blast the scrubs for not practicing hard enough. Good to lead and set a high bar, but he needs to function better as well.

Bossman641
10-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Its tough when you blast the scrubs for not practicing hard enough. Good to lead and set a high bar, but he needs to function better as well.

Nothing wrong with telling some of the younger players they need to take things a little more seriously, especially when Rodgers is making quotes like this about himself.

"My solemn promise is I'm going to work every day to get better. I'm
going to clean up some of the things I'm not doing as well as I
should. But, the proof is in the pudding. Right now I'm not getting it
done. I've got to look at myself first.

"But I can tell you nothing has slipped in the way of preparation or
the way that I practice or the energy and leadership that I take to
it. Which is probably the most frustrating thing. You can't really
point to one thing. I just haven't performed as well on Sundays as I'm
used to performing."

pbmax
10-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Nothing wrong with telling some of the younger players they need to take things a little more seriously, especially when Rodgers is making quotes like this about himself.

But we are talking about the public sphere, where the scrub quote will be brought up more than the promise. You need to repeat the sentiments of the promise more often to get the same volume as the scrub comments. In private, that may be what he is doing.

Tony Oday
10-11-2012, 10:26 AM
As long as Woodson isnt covering Johnson we have a chance!

Bossman641
10-11-2012, 10:31 AM
But we are talking about the public sphere, where the scrub quote will be brought up more than the promise. You need to repeat the sentiments of the promise more often to get the same volume as the scrub comments. In private, that may be what he is doing.

Yea I see what you are saying. Was listening to First Take yesterday and Skip was having a field day with the practice squad comment, saying that Rodgers was using that as an excuse for why he hasn't been playing as well. Of course, he's a moron so I ignored it anyways. I haven't seen it brought up anywhere else.

If you actually look at what Rodgers said it's no big deal at all. Wilde commented that MM has been saying the practices haven't been as crisp and productive, and then asked if Rodgers agreed. Rodgers said he did and that the rookies haven't gotten down the tempo and importance of scout duty.

Fosco33
10-11-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm on the upset train.... I think Crosby will redeem himself in closing minute and Pack wins by 3.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8489766/nfl-week-6-upset-watch-green-bay-packers-knock-unbeaten-houston-texans

Cheesehead Craig
10-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Well, after reading Rodgers' comment in the JSo that the team needs to come out with more intensity Sunday, and reading MM's comment about the team's practices not being good this year, I wonder if this team has an attitude problem.

Here's a bit of info from here in MN, Antoinne Winfield called the team together earlier this season, I think before the season actually and gave them all an impassioned speech about how the youngsters need to step up now and practice harder like the vets do. He called out the whole team essentially to man up and make the most of the "now" moment. The players responded huge to it and on the radio interviews the vets are saying how practice is very intense and guys are really playing hard and that it's carrying over to Sunday. You know what, a 4-1 record is pretty supportive of that.

Perhaps the Pack needs a "come to Jesus" meeting like that as well.

Fritz
10-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Here's a bit of info from here in MN, Antoinne Winfield called the team together earlier this season, I think before the season actually and gave them all an impassioned speech about how the youngsters need to step up now and practice harder like the vets do. He called out the whole team essentially to man up and make the most of the "now" moment. The players responded huge to it and on the radio interviews the vets are saying how practice is very intense and guys are really playing hard and that it's carrying over to Sunday. You know what, a 4-1 record is pretty supportive of that.

Well, Jesus did flip a few tables in the temple, so maybe the Pack could use that kind of meeting.

Big game Sunday - maybe in some regards less important as a "must win" than in regard to the team's intensity and effort.

wist43
10-11-2012, 01:18 PM
I think the talent is there... the team just needs to make some adjustments and get their heads screwed on right.

Adjustments by the coaching staff need to be made on both sides of the ball. Once they begin to experience some success with those adjustments I think the attitude of the team will right itself. Right now, I think everyone is frustrated with the lack of success, but that has to come down to the coaching staff - Sun tzu.

The breakdowns on defense are on Capers; and the offensive struggles come down to MM stubbornly sticking to longer routes and not incorporating more power blocking run plays. If the players attitude is downcast, that is on the coaching staff to get a handle on why, and make the necessary adjustments.

We're going to lose this weekend - that will put us at 2-4. The coaching staff is going to have to earn their paycheck after that - gut check time.

rbaloha1
10-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Many good thoughts on this thread.

Sometimes A-rod has that Berkley mentality -- smartest guy in the room mindset.

The current failure imo is a confluence of stuff. First, last years success provided the offense as an over inflated ego -- offense is unstoppable. Rodgers sometimes is too smart for his own good.

Second, the sense of urgency from the offense is not there. The offense just expects to make plays since it worked last year with phenomenal success. Too much front running attitude

Third, MM panics much to much when there is slightest adversity. Forgets to run the ball even with capable backs.

From top to bottom, the team needs to step it up and recall the process which made the team great.

3irty1
10-11-2012, 02:06 PM
The A-Rod comments about the scout team makes me wonder how badly we miss Matt Flynn. The backup QB is traditionally the head of the scout team offense. Its a big advantage to have a bright spot like Flynn there during practice.

pittstang5
10-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Packers will keep things close in the 1st half and will shows signs of life right before half time. Half time score = Texans 14, Packers 10.

2nd half - Texans bust loose. They ditch running the ball and go after the secondary with success. Rogers throws 2 picks trying to catch up. Texans do whatever they want offensively and defensively against the Packers in the 2nd half.

Final Score = Texans 31, Packers 17

Write it down.

pbmax
10-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Randall Liu ‏@RLiuNFL
Mike Wallace had 3rd career 80+ yd rec TD last nite. 3 other actives have 3+, all #Packers: Jennings (4), Nelson, Driver
Retweeted by Jason Wilde

Unfortunately, none that I remember this year.

pbmax
10-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport
#Packers rule out Jennings; Finley, Williams, Raji are all questionable http://gnb.scout.com/2/1229375.html

Richardson also out. He also has House behind Shields and Hayward on depth chart despite full participation and questionable status.

Freak Out
10-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Working in the Oil Biz I invariably end up dealing with many Texans...most have lived in Houston at some point, and they are letting it fly this week. Hopefully the Packers can shut them up for a bit. :)

BobDobbs
10-12-2012, 04:54 PM
I just watched a handful of the Texans games on condensed mode. We can run on them up the middle. They do love to run blitz, so if they make the right call they will blow it up and McCarthy has to not get scared. This is a great game for Starks to come back, we need some force up the middle.
They also want to come upfield fast, screens, traps, and draws will all be our friend. We can do some damage. Hard team to block though, our Oline might lose this game for us.

I'm more worried about our defense. Pickett has been a little down this year and Raji is hobbled. Schaub gets a lot of time in the pocket because everybody respects the play action. They have been opening up the offense to take deeper shots as the season wears on. That's my main fear they have a ton of big receivers and tight ends that they are going to throw 5-10 deeper balls to during the game. How we do on those is big time.

Also, if we play outside contain like we did against the Colts then we lose. Arian Foster is a tad better than Donald Brown. If Tate doesn't play that helps us too, they don't have someone to replace him..

They've given up a couple of return TDs and they have a little guy who took some back in the preseason. It's possible that a return swings this game.

I want to see how much fight we have this Sunday.

mraynrand
10-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Working in the Oil Biz I invariably end up dealing with many Texans...most have lived in Houston at some point, and they are letting it fly this week. Hopefully the Packers can shut them up for a bit. :)

I just let one fly - cleared out the room

rbaloha1
10-13-2012, 12:43 PM
In a strange way its much more relaxing to enter a game expecting to lose.

Expect the Packers to improve and establish a running game. Leaning towards the Packers eeking out a victory -- the Packers are the more desperate team.

rbaloha1
10-13-2012, 12:45 PM
The A-Rod comments about the scout team makes me wonder how badly we miss Matt Flynn. The backup QB is traditionally the head of the scout team offense. Its a big advantage to have a bright spot like Flynn there during practice.

Good point. Combined with Philbin's OCD definitely helped the scout team perform the way A-rod liked.

Patler
10-13-2012, 01:18 PM

Apparently Winfield did that behind closed doors. A respected veterans speech like that can often unite a team. Unfortunately, many athletes today look at public criticism, such as from Rodgers, as "disrespect". Then, yesterday, we had several Packer coaches coming to the defense of the scout team, seemingly flat-out contradicting what Rodgers had to say about them:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/green-bay-packers-scout-team-defended-e9770tp-173980081.html

I have a bad feeling about where the team is headed this year. As much as the Packers over-achieved during the 2011 season, I think they might underachieve in 2012. Sunday is a pivotal game, in my opinion. They don't absolutely have to win it, but they must at least make the outcome in doubt until they very end. If they do that, there is still hope. If they are beaten rather easily, I will not expect them to rebound.

And, as I said, I have a bad feeling about this season. I think the Packers lose, the score will be closer than the game, with the Packers never really being in it. The Packers lose by just 24-17 with some late, meaningless points making the result look closer than the game..

MadtownPacker
10-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Hell nah it aint going down like that Patler. That article will only serve to piss Rodgers off more and I like me a pissed off ARod.

Bet all your retirement/pension/savings so you can double that shit!

pbmax
10-13-2012, 07:54 PM
I suspect a lot of the hand wringing about rookies and backups attitude on scout teams is just a lot of wasted time and effort over the unknowable.

I think the Philbin angle probably holds more water, as an offense coach who studied the defensive opponent for the week, he knew far more precisely what he needed from the scout team. And it does not sound like Clements or McAdoo have taken on that responsibility.

McCarthy made a statement early in his tenure, in criticism of Marty Schottenheimer, that he learned as an assistant that he would never expect his D coordinator to prepare to give him scout team looks with his starters. That is, to use the starting defense's practice time to improve the offense or vice versa. So Philbin taking on the role of tutoring backups for the scout duty makes tremendous sense.

Now Philbin's absence doesn't explain the Chiefs loss, where many of the difficulties they are having now are apparent well before his family's tragedy. So this concern doesn't cover all the problems on O, but I buy that its bothering the QB.

digitaldean
10-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Listening to Shannon Sharpe commenting on Packers and Rodgers reminds me how much of an ass he is. He said that Rodgers isn't great person because of the blame he's throwing around. "Just because you're an MVP doesn't mean you're a great person." Asshat.
ONLY things I agreed with is the lack of a running game and the amt of pressure on Rodgers. From what I've been reading is the Packers probably should run on Houston, especially with Cushing being out.
Would hope they try more quick slants because that may help negate Watt and the Texans pass rush.

Patler
10-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Listening to Shannon Sharpe commenting on Packers and Rodgers reminds me how much of an ass he is. He said that Rodgers isn't great person because of the blame he's throwing around. "Just because you're an MVP doesn't mean you're a great person." Asshat.
ONLY things I agreed with is the lack of a running game and the amt of pressure on Rodgers. From what I've been reading is the Packers probably should run on Houston, especially with Cushing being out.
Would hope they try more quick slants because that may help negate Watt and the Texans pass rush.

My reply to Sharpe would be, "Just because you are a TV commentator doesn't mean you know what you are talking about."

mraynrand
10-14-2012, 04:37 PM
My replay to Sharpe would be, "Just because you are a TV commentator doesn't mean you know what you are talking about."

This would be my replay to Sharpe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HscrMo8Tk6Y

Rutnstrut
10-14-2012, 05:44 PM
If Rodgers doesn't implode as he has been, this will be a very close game. But the Packers have the handicap of Stubby/Capers as coaches, so they are royally screwed.

Rutnstrut
10-14-2012, 05:56 PM
The packers D could take a tackling and flowing to the ball lesson from the Vikings.

workingman
10-14-2012, 06:09 PM
PACKERS ARE GONNA ROLL OVER THE TEXANS TONIGHT! YOU MAY QUOTE ME ON THAT IF YOU LIKE!!!! GO PACK!!

ND72
10-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Enjoy the game tonight boys. I got out voted 7-1 today, asked to have a coaches meeting earlier today for our playoffgame but was told no. Was told the packers are horrible anyway so why watch it. Kind of angry about it but what can you do.....let's get a W tonight.

pbmax
10-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Enjoy the game tonight boys. I got out voted 7-1 today, asked to have a coaches meeting earlier today for our playoffgame but was told no. Was told the packers are horrible anyway so why watch it. Kind of angry about it but what can you do.....let's get a W tonight.

Fools! Good luck with the playoffs though ND. Hope you and the kids have fun.

Freak Out
10-14-2012, 10:50 PM
The Packers stun the world and beat the Texans. The pass rush hammers Schaub and a ball control passing offense keeps the TOP in the Packers favor all day long.

Well....I was close. :)

esoxx
10-14-2012, 11:38 PM

At least you could understand what he was saying.

digitaldean
10-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Hell nah it aint going down like that Patler. That article will only serve to piss Rodgers off more and I like me a pissed off ARod.

Bet all your retirement/pension/savings so you can double that shit!

I am assuming you made out with a lot of jack today!!