PDA

View Full Version : Benson - Out Eight Weeks

pbmax
10-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Lisfranc injury.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Cedric Benson has a Lisfranc foot injury expected to sideline him eight weeks and could end his season if doctors determine he needs surgery

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/255491530134016001

gbpackfan
10-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Oh Fuck.

pbmax
10-08-2012, 09:32 PM
I really think Starks could be something special.

:shtf::cry::bs::beat::butt:

Patler
10-08-2012, 09:44 PM
So, they lost a back averaging 3.5 yards per carry. Shouldn't be hard to find a replacement.

Or, they can quit running so much, and just throw the ball.

mraynrand
10-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Bring in the Stark Plug!

Harlan Huckleby
10-08-2012, 10:08 PM
I don't believe. I refuse to believe it. PBmax is a damnable liar.

Green isn't the answer. Starks can potentially work, but he'll have to be a pass reciever too.

George Cumby
10-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Eight weeks if were lucky.

LisFranc can be really problematic.

BobDobbs
10-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Well I guess now we'll really find out what we have at RB. Nothing like playing Houston to let the kids get a chance to show and prove.

I honestly didn't think that Green had such a poor showing. He had an sizeable burst to set up a td. He converted a third and short. And he had the 40 yarder. He didn't make much after contact and didn't show alot of power. I also would have liked him to score on his long run, but the defenders did have an angle on him. I've liked Benson alot, but the hype has been a little much in my opinion.

I think it all comes down to our Oline. Can they block? Does McCarthy have to call more running plays to neutralize the pass rush? Will he stick with it if we're struggling?

gbgary
10-08-2012, 11:08 PM
never heard of this injury before. oh well...

George Cumby
10-08-2012, 11:12 PM

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1236228-treatment

six weeks in a cast. Then he has to get back into shape.

Tony Oday
10-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Ahman Green? ;)

gbgary
10-08-2012, 11:24 PM
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1236228-treatment

six weeks in a cast. Then he has to get back into shape.

sounds like a season to me. dang it!!

Bossman641
10-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Starks really needs to stay healthy. Given his background we could be down to Green, Saine, and a FA pickup in a hurry.

OS PA
10-08-2012, 11:34 PM
Eight weeks if were lucky.

LisFranc can be really problematic.

I'm no athlete, but I broke my lisfranc playing basketball a few years back. I stepped on a teammates foot with half of my foot. One part of my foot stayed up, the other part didn't. I was down in a heap for a few minutes before the adrenaline kicked in and I stood up and "played" gingerly for a few more minutes. So I understand why Benson could have thought he was alright. After the adrenaline wore off it took two weeks to be able to put pressure on it without pain, and another month to get back to any sort of thing that would resemble physical activity. My foot still won't fit in a boot, it hurts when it rains, and when I'm dehydrated, and I can feel exactly where it broke at all times. Not sure what they can do with surgery and proper treatment, but this shit hurts like hell and doesn't bode well for Benson's season.

LegandofthePack15
10-08-2012, 11:42 PM
So, they lost a back averaging 3.5 yards per carry. Shouldn't be hard to find a replacement.

You can't just quantify everything . There's a thing called quality.

Benson is a guy who can break tackles and make something out of nothing. He keeps defense honest on reputation alone. He's solid catching the ball.

On Kuhn's td run, pretty much every Colt had his eyes on Benson, allowing Kuhn to walk into the endzone. After Benson got hurt, the Colts didnt give a fuck about the Pack's run game; they went after Rodgers on every play.

I hope replacing Benson is as easy as you say it is.

LegandofthePack15
10-09-2012, 12:08 AM
So, say, Barry Sanders is average 3.5 yards a career. He gets injured. Is he easily replaceable? Not saying Benson is Sanders. Just saying there's more to a player than just numbers.

Patler
10-09-2012, 02:55 AM

You can't just quantify everything . There's a thing called quality.

Benson is a guy who can break tackles and make something out of nothing. He keeps defense honest on reputation alone. He's solid catching the ball.

On Kuhn's td run, pretty much every Colt had his eyes on Benson, allowing Kuhn to walk into the endzone. After Benson got hurt, the Colts didnt give a fuck about the Pack's run game; they went after Rodgers on every play.

I hope replacing Benson is as easy as you say it is.

So, say, Barry Sanders is average 3.5 yards a career. He gets injured. Is he easily replaceable? Not saying Benson is Sanders. Just saying there's more to a player than just numbers.

Uh, .... I was being facetious, which should have been obvious from my second sentence, which I have highlighted above. So much for my attempt at humor!.

That said, the play to Kuhn has worked well for many seasons already, regardless of the RB, because defenses almost always tend to focus on the RB rather than the FB, who rarely carries but is there to block in today's NFL.

As for the Colts ignoring the run, why wouldn't they? MM pretty much ignored the the RB after Benson went out. Benson had 9 touches in the first 2+ possessions, Green had 10 in the following 12+ possessions. Benson's value to the Packers is not as much in his actual production as it is in the fact that for some reason MM is more willing to use him than he is the other RBs.

Jimx29
10-09-2012, 03:21 AM
Oh, not to worry. I'm sure TT has been burning the midnight oil finding a new running back.

Read: We're fucked even more so than what we've been so far this year

Patler
10-09-2012, 03:35 AM
Time for Green to prove whether or not he deserved to be a third round pick.
Time for Starks to prove whether or not he really is an NFL player, or a tease who will never stay healthy.

The Packers shouldn't have to look for a replacement just yet.

mmmdk
10-09-2012, 05:29 AM
SAMKON GADO ?

hoosier
10-09-2012, 07:16 AM
This season is cursed. Whatever happens from hereon out doesn't matter.

pbmax
10-09-2012, 07:56 AM
A night's sleep didn't help, still looks bad. Starks and Green will need to have a good run. At least Green showed some wiggle versus the Colts.

Patler
10-09-2012, 08:01 AM
This is a good lesson for TT. He was getting awful frivolous signing all of those free agents this year. Hargrove, Merling, Benson. What was he thinking? Where did all of that frivolity get him? 8+ games between the three of them. With all of the money wasted on free agents, he could have bought an extra box of tape, or something.

OK, my sarcasm circuit is turned off. It is kind of interesting, though. The Packers insisted on a two tier contract with Benson, even though he was signed to a minimum contract as it was. If he goes on IR, his salary plummets to rookie levels.

TT may never sign another veteran free agent not already a Packer!

Harlan Huckleby
10-09-2012, 10:50 AM
The game plan won't change. They'll just plug Starks in there.

Kiwon
10-09-2012, 11:15 AM
This season is cursed.

It is starting to appear so.

Makes last year's successes all the more amazing.

Smidgeon
10-09-2012, 11:16 AM
I don't believe. I refuse to believe it. PBmax is a damnable liar.

Green isn't the answer. Starks can potentially work, but he'll have to be a pass reciever too.

I think he has a chance. He showed change of direction that I haven't seen out of a GB RB in a long time.

Smidgeon
10-09-2012, 11:17 AM

Didn't Robert Ferguson have that injury? Or am I misremembering?

Smidgeon
10-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Time for Starks to prove whether or not he really is an NFL player, or a tease who will never stay healthy.

The Packers shouldn't have to look for a replacement just yet.

And if they don't pan out, a RB higher in the draft.

hoosier
10-09-2012, 12:32 PM
He showed change of direction that I haven't seen out of GB in a long time.

From 15-1 to blowing an 18 point lead against a depleted Colts team. Now that is change of direction. :-)

denverYooper
10-09-2012, 12:39 PM
From 15-1 to blowing an 18 point lead against a depleted Colts team. Now that is change of direction. :-)

Uff Da!

Freak Out
10-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Green will be the man....the Benson Era in GB is officially over. The Stark Plug :) will get some time but Green is going to step it up baby! JH will be a very proud Papa.

mraynrand
10-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Green can be the man. He will no longer be on the Taxi squad, so he will get real practice snaps. Run between the tackles, read those blocks, pass pro, and catch out of the backfield. He can do it!

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x97/narpassword/you-can-do-it.jpg

Cheesehead Craig
10-09-2012, 02:21 PM

Screw 'em Patler. I thought this was funny as hell.

sheepshead
10-09-2012, 03:02 PM
I think its a matter of a different game plan offensively ( I know captain obvious) we could see Cobb back there more.

For every man there comes that special moment when he is physically tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing - unique to him and fitted to his talents.
What a tragedy if that moment finds him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour.

Winston Churchill

sheepshead
10-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Anyone bring up Ryan Grants name yet?

Joemailman
10-09-2012, 07:27 PM

http://i-cdn.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/re-nest/2011_6_5_beinggreen.jpg

Freak Out
10-09-2012, 07:28 PM
According to 494 he was signed by the Skins.

pbmax
10-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Didn't Robert Ferguson have that injury? Or am I misremembering?

And never played again for the Packers. Though he caught on elsewhere I believe.

Whammy.

Joemailman
10-09-2012, 08:33 PM
According to 494 he was signed by the Skins.

Grant averaged 5.0 YPC Sunday. Of course, it was only 1 carry.

King Friday
10-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Reggie Bush would've been a nice pickup for the Packers...he's the perfect RB for our non-running offensive attack.

sharpe1027
10-09-2012, 09:45 PM
I think he has a chance. He showed change of direction that I haven't seen out of a GB RB in a long time.

He is faster than Benson, but ran too much parallel to the LOS for my taste. Not as bad a parallel Darrell, but enough to make me worry about his ability to see the cutback lanes.

Harlan Huckleby
10-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Green is good in the open field. No instincts in traffic. He is a third down back.

Pugger
10-09-2012, 11:59 PM
And never played again for the Packers. Though he caught on elsewhere I believe.

Whammy.

Didn't Ferguson go to MN?

mraynrand
10-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Didn't Ferguson go to MN?

just for a cup of coffee

Smidgeon
10-10-2012, 10:43 AM
I think its a matter of a different game plan offensively ( I know captain obvious) we could see Cobb back there more.

I think Cobb is incredibly talented and is able to do those things. I just worry about the little guy taking hits. He seems small on the field when being engulfed by linebackers and safeties. So I don't think you can feed him so much that he has a target on his back every time he steps on the field.

Pugger
10-10-2012, 11:59 AM
We should use Cobb more back there but that is no substitute for a bona fide running game.

denverYooper
10-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Benson has been placed on the new IR list, designated to return in 8 weeks.

Guiness
10-10-2012, 07:09 PM
just for a cup of coffee

little longer than that - 2 seasons. Then he went to what seemed like it was becoming the Packers old age home, the Omaha Nighthawks.

mraynrand
10-10-2012, 08:24 PM
little longer than that - 2 seasons. Then he went to what seemed like it was becoming the Packers old age home, the Omaha Nighthawks.

he had 32 receptions in 2007 and just 3 in 2008. Starbucks wasn't making a lof of cash off his visit there :-P

rbaloha1
10-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Green is accustomed to running from a one back set in a run and shoot (different than a spread).

The Hawaii offense produced 3 NFL receivers (Pilares, Panthers; Salas, Rams/Patriots; Pollard, Jets). AG was running in wide open spaces against poor defenses.

AG has the physical skills but as was previously mentioned must get accustomed to running in traffic. IMO AG has improved in this area -- no doubt benefitting from watching Benson. Still not consistent in this area.

A bigger question is AG's surprising failure to pick-up the correct rusher since that is the number one requirement in Hawaii's previous run and shoot offense due to the lack of a tight end.

George Cumby
10-11-2012, 10:38 PM
SAMKON GADO ?

Noob.

Donnie Anderson.

mraynrand
10-12-2012, 10:28 AM
SAMKON GADO ?

Wow, there was a Samkon reference and I missed it?

"Bend over and I'll take your temperature"
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/SamkonMD.jpg