PDA

View Full Version : PUP list ending....or not

Patler
10-09-2012, 04:02 AM
The required inactive period for PUP listed players ends this week.

Starting with week seven, teams have a three week window to start practicing a player, release him, IR him or activate him.

A further three week window starts from the player's first practice during which the team has to activate the player, IR him or release him.

So, we could find out what they intend to do with Quarless or Sherrod as soon as next week, or as late as 6 weeks from then.

Benson is a logical IR candidate (perhaps designated to return) to open a roster spot for someone from PUP.

pbmax
10-09-2012, 07:58 AM
I read the coverage of the press conference but not the transcripts. Anyone ask for an update on Quarless or Sherrod?

Patler
10-09-2012, 08:07 AM
I read the coverage of the press conference but not the transcripts. Anyone ask for an update on Quarless or Sherrod?

It is surprising we've heard so little about them. With the injury to Finley along with his lackluster performance so far, the Packers might be more interested in pushing Quarless along than Sherrod.

Pugger
10-09-2012, 08:14 AM
It is surprising we've heard so little about them. With the injury to Finley along with his lackluster performance so far, the Packers might be more interested in pushing Quarless along than Sherrod.

I would think we would be interested in pushing BOTH of these gentlemen along.

Patler
10-09-2012, 09:08 AM
I would think we would be interested in pushing BOTH of these gentlemen along.

But there might be more of a use for Quarless than Sherrod. Quarless has a lot of starting experience and is a third year player. He can likely step in and contribute as soon as he is healthy, especially since backup TEs are used regularly. Finley is hurt and struggling even when healthy.

Sherrod on the other hand has little experience to draw from, and has never even had an off season of work. Knock on wood, the O-line is healthy for now, Newhouse and Bulaga are holding their own, even if not performing like standouts. Backup O-linemen are used little. Unless one of the OTs is injured, I really don't see Sherrod contributing much this season.

Since the decision to activate either requires removing someone on the roster, I could see the Packers stringing out the decision on both, but especially Sherrod until there is a greater need or a natural opening on the roster through injury, even if at a different position. Benson's situation might make one such opening.

mraynrand
10-09-2012, 10:02 AM
I don't know what the limitations will be due to the knee. but Quarless is a very good special teams player and can block better than Finley. Well, my dog can block better than Finley, so that's not saying much. Quarless can block and pass protect.

Patler
10-15-2012, 11:51 AM
I read over the weekend, that Quarless is closer to being ready to play than Sherrod is.

pbmax
10-15-2012, 11:53 AM
I read over the weekend, that Quarless is closer to being ready to play than Sherrod is.

Sherrod has got to try harder to meet my uninformed and over enthusiastic expectations.

Where did you read that blurb?

Patler
10-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Sherrod has got to try harder to meet my uninformed and over enthusiastic expectations.

It was among the random "Notes" or "Comments" following an article in either JSO or the GBPG. I meant to copy it at the time, but forgot. Too lazy to look for it now!

Patler
10-15-2012, 12:31 PM

It was among the random "Notes" or "Comments" following an article in either JSO or the GBPG. I meant to copy it at the time, but forgot. Too lazy to look for it now!

Probably was in an article about one of MM's press conferences, because I just found this from an article yesterday in the GBPG:

"Last week, coach Mike McCarthy said he thought Quarless and Zombo were close to being ready to practice, while Sherrod probably wasn’t ready yet."

Patler
10-16-2012, 05:03 AM
Confirmed by JSO yesterday:

McCarthy said Monday that tight end Andrew Quarless and outside linebacker Frank Zombo are "definitely ready," whereas tackle Derek Sherrod is "further behind."