PDA

View Full Version : DJ Williams

denverYooper
10-09-2012, 09:48 AM
In his "Rating the Packers" (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/underwhelming-play-4975869-173231521.html) article McGinn stated:

D.J. Williams (22) was the best tight end.

Reports on him in TC were that he was catching everything coming at him. He has been solid in pretty limited play. Plus, he was the Mackey award winner in college for best receiving TE. Is it time to expand his role in the offense? Could he be the best tight end on the Packers?

mraynrand
10-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Just catch the damn ball and run your patterns past the first down marker, that's all I ask. Is that really too much to expect? Is it?

Patler
10-09-2012, 10:04 AM
In his "Rating the Packers" (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/underwhelming-play-4975869-173231521.html) article McGinn stated:

Reports on him in TC were that he was catching everything coming at him. He has been solid in pretty limited play. Plus, he was the Mackey award winner in college for best receiving TE. Is it time to expand his role in the offense? Could he be the best tight end on the Packers?

I don't know if he can be their best or not, but when a guy performs well in TC, I think he deserves some opportunities during the year.

denverYooper
10-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Just catch the damn ball and run your patterns past the first down marker, that's all I ask. Is that really too much to expect? Is it?

That's mostly what he's done when asked, no? The reliable. not flashy chain movers?

Harlan Huckleby
10-09-2012, 10:47 AM
All the way with DJ!

Fresh start with ..... DJ!

packers11
10-09-2012, 11:08 AM
How did I know Finley was going to catch so much crap after this game… He didn’t play good at all, but here is the facts. Put me on the field with “Finley” on the back of my jersey, he still gets doubled covered constantly. As soon as he got hurt the packers scored 1 TD in two QTRS. DJ Williams could be the most overrated packer besides James Jones.

Speaking of which, James Jones runs the most lazy routes I have ever seen as a WR. Its not a coincidence that Rodgers always throws INT’s when its towards his way… Oh and Nelson… Overrated as well. He couldn’t get separation from the Colts #2 CB (Powers), who is awful by the way.

Without Jennings and Finley, this offense is suspect…

Why doesn’t Driver get as much crap… He dropped an easy wide open first down catch which the packers had to punt on the next play…

But back on topic and back on my main point.
JF#88 is obviously still struggling. But everyone and their mother still gameplans for him and he sees consistant double coverage because who in gods name would double cover James Jones or DJ Williams? Keep him on the field and hope he works the kinks out.

¼ of the season has passed. I’d rather be 9-7 and win it all with a hot streak in December then 15-1 and lose first round in the playoffs…

JF will not disappoint by years end, I can almost guarantee it...

denverYooper
10-09-2012, 11:09 AM
I don't know if he can be their best or not, but when a guy performs well in TC, I think he deserves some opportunities during the year.

This is mostly what I'm getting at. The Packers are often slow to bring new guys along before they fully know the system. Or maybe they have a near fatal level of fidelity to those guys who have worked into the system and played well in the past. They seem married to the idea of using Finley everywhere on the field to generate mismatches even though he continues to be wildly inconsistent. Maybe they just need a guy who can catch the ball, get a first down, put his head down and play ball right now.

Old School
10-09-2012, 11:10 AM
I think Williams deserves a shot at proving what he did in TC is who he is. When Finley came into the league he was billed as the next great TE. Finley has had more than ample time to play up to the expectations for him. Since then, a half dozen young TE's have come into the league and outperformed him. Being a Twitter celebrity, silly slogans, and running his mouth have never moved the chains or caused Finley to score a point. I can't believe somebody on the team hasn't told him to SHUT UP and let good play do his talking for him. Maybe a week or two being inactive will get through to him.

I'd be happy with a D J Williams who is assignment sure and can hold on to the ball. Just being reliable without being flashy still trumps big talk. At some point Andrew Quarles will figure into the equation too.

denverYooper
10-09-2012, 11:11 AM
How did I know Finley was going to catch so much crap after this game… He didn’t play good at all, but here is the facts. Put me on the field with “Finley” on the back of my jersey, he still gets doubled covered constantly. As soon as he got hurt the packers scored 1 TD in two QTRS. DJ Williams could be the most overrated packer besides James Jones.

Speaking of which, James Jones runs the most lazy routes I have ever seen as a WR. Its not a coincidence that Rodgers always throws INT’s when its towards his way… Oh and Nelson… Overrated as well. He couldn’t get separation from the Colts #2 CB (Powers), who is awful by the way.

Without Jennings and Finley, this offense is suspect…

Why doesn’t Driver get as much crap… He dropped an easy wide open first down catch which the packers had to punt on the next play…

But back on topic and back on my main point.
JF#88 is obviously still struggling. But everyone and their mother still gameplans for him and he sees consistant double coverage because who in gods name would double cover James Jones or DJ Williams? Keep him on the field and hope he works the kinks out.

¼ of the season has passed. I’d rather be 9-7 and win it all with a hot streak in December then 15-1 and lose first round in the playoffs…

JF will not disappoint by years end, I can almost guarantee it...

You might very well be right about Finley. I don't deny the guy has talent and that teams do pay attention to him. I fully realize that he *could be* a monster. In a way, he's a microcosm of the offense right now, like the genie in Aladdin: "Phenomenal cosmic powers, itty bitty living space".

Bossman641
10-09-2012, 11:15 AM
I think the biggest question with Williams might be how he can hold up as the inline TE. Seems like MM prefers using him as an H-back. Can Williams line up next to the tackle and handle his blocking assignment? But then again, based on McGinn's newest game rating, Finley hasn't seemed very interesting in blocking lately anyways.

Smidgeon
10-09-2012, 11:23 AM

Donald Driver?

Tell you the truth, that one's confusing me. He seemed to be doing well in TC and preseason. Was that just overreported?

Bossman641
10-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Donald Driver?

Tell you the truth, that one's confusing me. He seemed to be doing well in TC and preseason. Was that just overreported?

I feel the opposite. Driver probably has 3 drops on only 8-9 targets. if his name wasn't Donald Driver he would be getting ripped by fans.

Smidgeon
10-09-2012, 11:27 AM

And yet James Jones is the only player on the team with more than 1 TD and is tied for the league receiving lead with 5 TDs. His "lazy" routes are getting him open at or near the end zone. He won't maintain the league lead, but he's the most effective WR on the field if you include the ability to score in your evaluation.

Also, Rodgers said the INT to Jones was tipped at the line. So it wasn't Jones either.

Smidgeon
10-09-2012, 11:32 AM
I feel the opposite. Driver probably has 3 drops on only 8-9 targets. if his name wasn't Donald Driver he would be getting ripped by fans.

Good observation. I noticed that too. But I guess I subconsciously attributed that to being rusty off the bench. It's not like he played a lot and then was benched because he was dropping passes. I wonder if his decline has been a lot more drastic than what we anticipated. The Packers are basically paying him to be a mentor.

I didn't quite believe in the "Driver won't fall off" hype myself, but I didn't expect him to be off the field this much either. I expected him to have the 2011 Randall Cobb role: ~25 catches on the year.

But to the original point, TC doesn't always demonstrate capability. There have been several instances where Mr. August flunks in October.

Patler
10-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Put me on the field with “Finley” on the back of my jersey, he still gets doubled covered constantly. As soon as he got hurt the packers scored 1 TD in two QTRS. DJ Williams could be the most overrated packer besides James Jones.

I'm not sure that is still the case. A recent article indicated that Finley is no longer getting special attention from defenses, except in the red zone. That is not surprising, and some of us discussed that possibility in the off-season. You only get respect for a short time unless you continue to earn it. Finley is dropping too many easy catches, is not making many of the difficult ones, and has been going down fairly easy after catching the ball. Nothing screams for double coverage in that scenario, as it has now been going on since the start of last season. He will get double coverage in the red zone, because he is a big target. Outside of that, defenses will dare him to beat them. Lately, he hasn't.

Patler
10-09-2012, 11:58 AM
But to the original point, TC doesn't always demonstrate capability. There have been several instances where Mr. August flunks in October.

Sure, but you never know unless he is given an opportunity. I think it is coming. As patient as the Packers have been with Finley, it has to be wearing thin by now. If the announcers were correct, and he has the most drops in the NFL since the start of 2011, while not be close to the lead in targeted passes, it is a pretty dismal performance, and it doesn't show any signs of changing.

Smidgeon
10-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Sure, but you never know unless he is given an opportunity. I think it is coming. As patient as the Packers have been with Finley, it has to be wearing thin by now. If the announcers were correct, and he has the most drops in the NFL since the start of 2011, while not be close to the lead in targeted passes, it is a pretty dismal performance, and it doesn't show any signs of changing.

Yep.

Brandon494
10-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Give DJ Williams more playing time, I'm done with Finley.

mraynrand
10-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Give DJ Williams more playing time, I'm done with Finley.

wha? :whaa: :shock:

Smeefers
10-09-2012, 01:55 PM
wha? :whaa: :shock:

You can only give a guy a chance so many times. I'm starting to wear on finley as well. I will say this, if we do get rid of him, we'll rue the day. Dude would get picked up in half a minute and go on and do what he does - make the offense on the field better just because of his presence.

denverYooper
10-09-2012, 02:15 PM
You can only give a guy a chance so many times. I'm starting to wear on finley as well. I will say this, if we do get rid of him, we'll rue the day. Dude would get picked up in half a minute and go on and do what he does - make the offense on the field better just because of his presence.

He might be one of those guys who gets better just from a change of environment and neither he nor the Packers are doing each other much good.

I actually didn't start this thread thinking of getting rid of Finley or replacing him with Williams. I just thought maybe they'd do well to get DJ some more opportunities.

mraynrand
10-09-2012, 02:31 PM

I get the point, but Brandon? Having him bail on Finley is sort of like "Say it ain't so, Bro!"

Smidgeon
10-09-2012, 02:52 PM

Interesting how a DJ Williams thread turned into a Finley thread....

That being said, what would Finley get in a trade if the team wanted to go that route?

Brandon494
10-09-2012, 04:18 PM
I get the point, but Brandon? Having him bail on Finley is sort of like "Say it ain't so, Bro!"

That bitch hasn't been getting me any points in fantasy this year. :x

Before last season this guy was known for having solid hands and catching everything. I don't know what has happened to him since his injury but he can't seem to do anything right. He needs to go ask James Jones what the hell he has been doing lately.

gbgary
10-10-2012, 01:19 AM
All the way with DJ!

Fresh start with ..... DJ!

lol

Iron Mike
10-10-2012, 06:51 AM
I'm not sure that is still the case. A recent article indicated that Finley is no longer getting special attention from defenses, except in the red zone. That is not surprising, and some of us discussed that possibility in the off-season. You only get respect for a short time unless you continue to earn it. Finley is dropping too many easy catches, is not making many of the difficult ones, and has been going down fairly easy after catching the ball. Nothing screams for double coverage in that scenario, as it has now been going on since the start of last season. He will get double coverage in the red zone, because he is a big target. Outside of that, defenses will dare him to beat them. For the last three years, he hasn't.

Fixed. :)

pbmax
10-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Is MATE an acronym for a new advanced football metric?

Pugger
10-10-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm more than willing to give Williams a chance. I sure hope he doesn't disappear again like he did against the Colts...

rbaloha1
10-11-2012, 02:28 PM
DJ is a different threat than Finley. More H back on the move type te. Starting to play faster.

packers11
10-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Williams (undisclosed issue) did not practice Thursday, Tyler Dunne of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

Recommendation: More on Williams' status Friday, but it's worth tracking this week especially, with Jermichael Finley currently dealing with a shoulder injury.

(Rotowire.com)

If Big Fin and DJ can't go... Who's active on gameday? Crabtree? Quarles isn't off the PUP yet is he?

Smidgeon
10-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Ryan Taylor and Tom Crabtree. Quarless can't be activated until after this week.

Freak Out
10-11-2012, 04:16 PM
I told you they should have kept more TEs on the roster.