PDA

View Full Version : Your 2012 Packers Offense

denverYooper
10-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Is most likely going to look very different from last year's by the end of the year for many reasons:

The bad
1.) Jennings has been hurt. The number of commercials he is in these days makes me think that he is starting to focus on life after football. He's cashing in while he can.
2.) Finley has been hurt and can't seem to get out of his own head. I think his receiving has actually regressed even more. He's often double clutching, which is really disconcerting.
3.) Jordy goes missing for large portions of games. I don't really know why. Are teams focusing on taking him away because of his deep plays last year?
4.) Benson is hurt. They were gravitating toward a Benson-led balanced attack that seemed to show promise for all of 8 quarters (2nd half SEA, NO, 1st half IND) but then went back into passwackiland when he went down.
5.) The staff has been reshuffled
6.) Saturday "is what he is". He's new and his game these days is his smarts and knowledge of the offense. He just may not have the line calls down pat yet. When it comes down to it, I don't think he's losing them games but given everything else, a new C is one more weakness.
7.) Bulaga is injured or something. He's regressed but I suspect it is due to something that we do not know about. Anyway, he's just not the same.
8.) Rodgers is in a bit of a shell at the moment. Too many changes for him to be comfortable? Maybe he needs a lot of structure in place to be comfortable.

The good:
1.) Randall Cobb looks like he could be an elite player. Why are they not trying to get him the ball more? I've mentioned before that he is the one guy who is making plays for them when they get stuck but most of the time he's being forgotten. PFF had Rodgers rating when throwing at Cobb a 158.3.
2.) James Jones is playing like a pretty good power forward. He's mixing it up, boxing guys out. and catching most of the more impressive TDs that Rodgers has thrown. If he could only learn to make a play on an INT intended for him, he'd be a fairly complete physical receiver.
3.) DJ Williams has shown some reliability and the best hands of the TE group.
4.) Lang and Sitton at times look like the best guard tandem in the entire league. Lang gets beat occasionally on tricks but they usually don't work on him more than once and the man will straight up beat the snot out of dudes across from him with an impressive fire. Sitton is quietly having a very good year again. Their work downfield last game was shocking. In a way it's too bad that Saturday is not a more physical guy because that GCG unit could just be destroying teams on their own if so.

The unknown:
1.) What will come of the running game now? Maybe the Stark Plug will come back and relight the fire a la 2010.
2.) What of Quarless and/or Sherrod? They are largely unknown right now but Quarless could be another player to come around and spark the offense. Maybe because he has so much time in the offense (an important consideration with this staff), they'll trust him to come in and play as soon as they feel his conditioning is up.

denverYooper
10-09-2012, 10:20 AM
One other thing about Lang. He's become somewhat of a vocal leader on that offense. I'd bet that the team doesn't appreciate his outbursts about refs and the Packers pass wackiness but maybe they need that voice right now. The guy who is pissed off in love with his team and who is all football right now. The guy who speaks for the Packerrats ;).

denverYooper
10-09-2012, 10:22 AM
One other thing about Lang. He's become somewhat of a vocal leader on that offense. I'd bet that the team doesn't appreciate his outbursts about refs and the Packers pass wackiness but maybe they need that voice right now. The guy who is pissed off in love with his team and who is all football right now. The guy who speaks for the Packerrats ;).

I mean, it's kind of a refreshing change to hear him say what everyone is complaining about: teams are going after Rodgers hard because they keep trying to drop back to pass. Instead of the bland statements of "we thought we had some matchups on the outside that we could take advantage of."

Ballboy
10-09-2012, 10:52 AM
I think the offense is lackluster because of the "wanting to get an explosive play" MM refers to this often, but I really disagree with him. Maybe a couple times a game you take a shot, but it seems that our passing offense had evolved into 15 yard routes. With teams playing SS over the top, most DB are sitting on the 10-15 yard route. What is so wrong with taking the check-down....that is what the defense is giving us! You would hope with the "talent" that everyone says our WR/TE's have, they would be able to get 3-5 yards on every play!

By doing this, it helps in two(2) areas:

1) More of a systematic approach, long drives keeping the opponents defense on the field. They longer they are on the field, the more likely a mistake will be made and then you will get your "explosive play" that you are looking for. The defense will creep closer to the line, leaving single SS or nothing over the top.

2) Keep our defense on the sidelines. We all know a rested defense is a better defense....what did the Colts run, 20 more plays than us?

Harlan Huckleby
10-09-2012, 11:05 AM
8.) Rodgers is in a bit of a shell at the moment. Too many changes for him to be comfortable? Maybe he needs a lot of structure in place to be comfortable..

He needs a structure alright - a pocket. Newhouse and Bulaga slow-down the speed rushers, but now Rodgers can't step up after 3 Mississippis. I blame Saturday because I saw two or three bad plays, for whatever that is worth.

Bossman641
10-09-2012, 11:38 AM
The biggest question for me has been where the heck has Jordy been.

All the reports out of TC were that he was rolling and was ready to build on last year. Are teams taking him away deep?

Rutnstrut
10-09-2012, 03:02 PM
He needs a structure alright - a pocket. Newhouse and Bulaga slow-down the speed rushers, but now Rodgers can't step up after 3 Mississippis. I blame Saturday because I saw two or three bad plays, for whatever that is worth.

It can't be Saturday, when I said Wells would be missed all the "experts" on here said no way.

Zool
10-09-2012, 04:53 PM
It can't be Saturday, when I said Wells would be missed all the "experts" on here said no way.

You've reached your quota for "I told you so" for the month. Shouldn't you be a GM somewhere with all your insight?

Patler
10-09-2012, 06:03 PM

I think you are grossly mischaracterizing what was said. I don't recall anyone who wouldn't have liked to have Wells back. The problem was the cost of the contract he wanted and got. Even after losing Wells, they may not have enough room to retain Jennings. That's what happens with a salary cap.

Joemailman
10-09-2012, 08:26 PM

Of course, the Cardinals have been missing Wells too.

Brandon494
10-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Of course, the Cardinals have been missing Wells too.

Wells signed with the Rams.

Joemailman
10-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Wells signed with the Rams.

Oops! Well, the Cardinals used to be in St. Louis.

MadtownPacker
10-09-2012, 11:14 PM
It can't be Saturday, when I said Wells would be missed all the "experts" on here said no way.Peeps come on here to have an opinion on football, I dont recall anyone calling themselves an "expert". Except maybe Harlan and Nutty. Those pricks.

MadtownPacker
10-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Oops! Well, the Cardinals used to be in St. Louis.
Forgetting the plays? Time to retire your number?

pbmax
10-10-2012, 09:17 AM
I think the offense is lackluster because of the "wanting to get an explosive play" MM refers to this often, but I really disagree with him. Maybe a couple times a game you take a shot, but it seems that our passing offense had evolved into 15 yard routes. With teams playing SS over the top, most DB are sitting on the 10-15 yard route. What is so wrong with taking the check-down....that is what the defense is giving us! You would hope with the "talent" that everyone says our WR/TE's have, they would be able to get 3-5 yards on every play!

By doing this, it helps in two(2) areas:

1) More of a systematic approach, long drives keeping the opponents defense on the field. They longer they are on the field, the more likely a mistake will be made and then you will get your "explosive play" that you are looking for. The defense will creep closer to the line, leaving single SS or nothing over the top.

2) Keep our defense on the sidelines. We all know a rested defense is a better defense....what did the Colts run, 20 more plays than us?

I am frustrated by all the missed connections on the deep throws, but lets be honest here. Very few plays or situations have every receiver going long. Rodger repeatedly overlooked shorter throws this season and did it again twice in Indy. He has to get in sync with what's available as well.

Upnorth
10-10-2012, 10:37 AM
IMO there are three issues on the passing game. (all of which have been said above, but I have not typed anything here in far to long and am going through withdrawls)

1) Rodgers is pressing, looking for the big play. After watching last years tape, the opposing d is pressing at the line and making the play take an extra half second or so to develop, which ties into my next point
2) Our Oline is not good enough to pass block the extra half second. Buluga has regressed a lot and I can't figure out why. Newhouse is not good enough to hold his blocks for the extra time, and seems to be thinking still instead of reacting. (His foot work does look better in general this year though) and Saturday has not filled Well's shoes very well. Even with Lang and Sitton controlling what is going around him he is not giving Rodgers a little extra space that Well was able to.
3) Designed roll outs are not working like last year, and the receivers are not adjusting to when ARod has to roll out.

On the defensive side of the ball I think we are playing good, but have a few problems
1) I miss having CWood back their, I don't know who is wearing his jersey, but man does he look different.
2) No pass rush equals big play for opposition. If we get almost any pressure on the qb, or even just challenge his space, our coverage seems to be good enough, but when we don't get any pressure we give up big time yards.

Also as this is Wednesday, Fire Slocum, your special teams are making the O and D look worse and lets face it, you made Crosby miss those 50 yarder kicks.

Rutnstrut
10-10-2012, 10:59 AM
I think you are grossly mischaracterizing what was said. I don't recall anyone who wouldn't have liked to have Wells back. The problem was the cost of the contract he wanted and got. Even after losing Wells, they may not have enough room to retain Jennings. That's what happens with a salary cap.

Actually there were quite a few that said there would be no drop off at center and that Saturday was an upgrade over Wells. Even five years ago that may have been true, but Saturday is a barely serviceable center now.

pbmax
10-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Actually there were quite a few that said there would be no drop off at center and that Saturday was an upgrade over Wells. Even five years ago that may have been true, but Saturday is a barely serviceable center now.

Upgrade? I don't remember that being the view of anyone, much less quite a few.

Pugger
10-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Yes, I thought the consensus was Saturday would be a good stop gap after losing Wells to FA until we drafted a center in 2013?

denverYooper
10-10-2012, 12:37 PM
As far as the line goes, PFF has these numbers on the Packers line through 5 games (from ChTV Packers Chat (http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-chat-transcript-bulaga-allowing-major-pressure?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CheeseheadTv+%28Cheesehead+TV %29)):

Last night I tweeted the Packers pressures allowed by linemen. Saturday has allowed 5, Sitton 6, Lang 7, Newhouse 8 and Bulaga 24. A lot of that was vs. the Seahawks, but we’re seeing Bulaga play a lot more like he did when he was a rookie compared to his second year.

Notice that Saturday has the lowest number of allowed pressures according to their system. Sort of interesting, though I will say that I usually take their ratings with a grain of salt. I don't know for sure, but I think they may have credited Lang and Sitton with at least 1 apiece that were really Saturday's fault. Still, it's interesting that the pressures outside of Bulaga are approximately even and Brian is responsible for roughly 3x as many. That squares with what I've seen and I don't know why he's struggling so badly.

wist43
10-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Did any of you watch the Houston vs NYJ game??

Houston is supposedly a "zone blocking" team... did any of you notice how many times they pulled their guards and tackles?? How many times they "wammed" and crashed with their TE's?? They work at trying to create holes for Foster to get thru.

The Packers on the other hand rarely pull, trap, block down, or do anything to actually create a hole for the RB to run thru... their entire run game is predicated upon getting a hat on a hat, scrum every which way, and let the RB ferret out a running lane. If the cutback isn't there, it's a 1 yard gain and 3rd and 9.

It is up to McCarthy to incorporate more power blocking plays, i.e. plays that are actually designed to create a specific hole in a specific gap. It is also McCarthy's responsibility to shorten up the routes and use the short passing game as a substitute for the run game.

The offense is a mess - and it is all on McCarthy. He's not reading the writing on the wall. It's his responsibility to put players in positions to make plays; recognize a players strengths and weaknesses and play call and scheme around those issues. He's not doing any of that.

Fritz
10-10-2012, 02:22 PM
I'd like to see Rodgers hit some of those checkdowns more often, especially on first and second down. They seem to be there for him, but as PB pointed out, he often passes on them in favor or riskier, longer throws.

Freak Out
10-10-2012, 03:59 PM
I sense Rodgers is starting to feel the dragon.

Bossman641
10-10-2012, 04:08 PM
As far as the line goes, PFF has these numbers on the Packers line through 5 games (from ChTV Packers Chat (http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-chat-transcript-bulaga-allowing-major-pressure?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CheeseheadTv+%28Cheesehead+TV %29)):

Notice that Saturday has the lowest number of allowed pressures according to their system. Sort of interesting, though I will say that I usually take their ratings with a grain of salt. I don't know for sure, but I think they may have credited Lang and Sitton with at least 1 apiece that were really Saturday's fault. Still, it's interesting that the pressures outside of Bulaga are approximately even and Brian is responsible for roughly 3x as many. That squares with what I've seen and I don't know why he's struggling so badly.

24 pressures for Bulaga? OMG, you have to think he is injured quite a bit. Isn't he battling tendinitis in his knee?

denverYooper
10-10-2012, 04:23 PM
24 pressures for Bulaga? OMG, you have to think he is injured quite a bit. Isn't he battling tendinitis in his knee?

My guess is that it'll be like Sitton's injury in that you don't hear about it from the team until after the season.

PA Pack Fan
10-10-2012, 04:55 PM
I think 75% of our offensive woes can be put on Rodgers. He doesn't look good at all. You can't expect our offensive line to hold off the d for more than 3 bananas. Sure, they gave up a few sacks, so did Rodgers......and more. He always seems so hesitant to throw this year. There is no way Jordy has been shut down every play for 5 games. Throw the fucking ball. Honestly, at this point I'd rather see a pick than two sacks and an incomplete every series.

denverYooper
10-10-2012, 05:04 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/10/10/recapping-this-trip-the-green-bayindianapolis-edition/

– The Packers offense disappeared in the second half against the Colts, scoring just six points and allowing Indy to fight back. QB Aaron Rodgers struggled even more than he did in the first half, showing indecision and inaccuracy. What the heck happened?

“Earlier in the game, Aaron was doing a great job of getting rid of the football, he didn’t have to hold it,” OLB Dwight Freeney explained. “Toward the end of the game, he had to try to make some plays for himself. Whatever had happened (in the first half) wasn’t working. When you have to hold the ball, we have to be there to tackle and make the sack. We had made some adjustments, took some things away they wanted to do, and that caused him to hold the ball.”

– OK, that’s one thing. The Colts forced Rodgers to hold it. But how? DB Cassius Vaughn said they became more intense, saying it was because they were fighting for Pagano. No doubt. In addition, though, there was a change in the method of attacking the Packers O. Safety Antoine Bethea said early on, the D-line was asking for “one more second.” In the second half, Bethea told me how they gave it to Freeney and the boys.

“With Green Bay, their stuff is based on rhythm,” Bethea said. “As DBs, you try to get your hands on the receivers, knock off their timing a little bit, take away his first read. Once that first read is gone, (Rodgers) tends to move around a little bit. That’s when Dwight and Rob could get him.

denverYooper
10-10-2012, 05:17 PM
So the idea that DBs are disrupting receivers and throwing off the timing is not new. The expert panel of PackerRats posters has been commenting on it for quite some time now. What is new this year and not mentioned in the article is that Rodgers has regressed against the blitz. I'm pretty sure most of Indy's sacks came when they sent 5+, and Rodgers was eating blitzes for lunch last year.

denverYooper
10-10-2012, 05:21 PM
I think 75% of our offensive woes can be put on Rodgers. He doesn't look good at all. You can't expect our offensive line to hold off the d for more than 3 bananas. Sure, they gave up a few sacks, so did Rodgers......and more. He always seems so hesitant to throw this year. There is no way Jordy has been shut down every play for 5 games. Throw the fucking ball. Honestly, at this point I'd rather see a pick than two sacks and an incomplete every series.

He has also missed quite a few deep throws to Jordy that he was routinely making last year. The first one up the sideline was an obvious one, and he said on his radio show yesterday that he misses maybe 5 of those out of 100 but there have been other deep throws that he has sailed as well.

denverYooper
10-10-2012, 05:38 PM
One more tidbit from Rodgers show, about the last play before the FG. Apparently he went to make a check and wanted Saturday declared to the right but he looked up and Saturday was declared to the left. He peeked up at the clock and didn't have time to make the adjustment so he just called time out because he felt he'd have a guy in his face and didn't want to risk a negative play.

pbmax
10-10-2012, 06:21 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/10/10/recapping-this-trip-the-green-bayindianapolis-edition/

Its as good an explanation as I have seen. I just can't wait for the adjustment.

pbmax
10-10-2012, 06:22 PM
One more tidbit from Rodgers show, about the last play before the FG. Apparently he went to make a check and wanted Saturday declared to the right but he looked up and Saturday was declared to the left. He peeked up at the clock and didn't have time to make the adjustment so he just called time out because he felt he'd have a guy in his face and didn't want to risk a negative play.

Also intriguing. You would think the nuance of the different offenses would be tough, not left and right. But I suppose its based on defensive alignment and the keys can be different depending on the play.

pbmax
10-10-2012, 06:24 PM

The offense is a mess - and it is all on McCarthy. He's not reading the writing on the wall. It's his responsibility to put players in positions to make plays; recognize a players strengths and weaknesses and play call and scheme around those issues. He's not doing any of that.

I can admit when I am wrong. Was going to blast you for calling the offense a hot mess. But they are 18th in points. That's quite a freefall. Not sure its the line's run blocking though.

Fritz
10-11-2012, 06:31 AM
Maybe it's not really about schemes or the teaching of techniques. Maybe this team just in't meshing? Three references to the team's lack of intensity this week by Packer players and by MM have me wondering if they're just not ready to make the mental and physical sacrifices required.

Smidgeon
10-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Maybe it's not really about schemes or the teaching of techniques. Maybe this team just in't meshing? Three references to the team's lack of intensity this week by Packer players and by MM have me wondering if they're just not ready to make the mental and physical sacrifices required.

Sending a message to the team? A shot across the bow?

Fritz
10-11-2012, 12:38 PM
This game coming Sunday is on MM. If the team plays hard and smart but loses, well, there's hope. But if they look scattershot and lost, then uh-oh.

rbaloha1
10-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Timing and rhythm has been off since day one of training camp. The Jennings injury is still having repercussions.

IMO Rodgers is less patient and not fully adjusted to defenses playing 2 deep.

Unfortunately the Chiefs defensive game plan from last season still works.

Rutnstrut
10-13-2012, 06:30 PM

Bingo, you hit it on the head. Rodgers is a good QB, but not the god everyone thought he was.

Rutnstrut
10-13-2012, 06:34 PM

There is a lot more to playing center than blocking, imo Saturday has a poor grasp of this offense and the reads he needs to make. That's ironic being that the cerebral part of his game is where he should be strongest at his age.

swede
10-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Timing and rhythm has been off since day one of training camp...

This explains not only bad routes, interceptions, coverage sacks, but also a sudden increase in the number of expectant Packer wives at St. Vincent's and St. Mary's.

MadtownPacker
10-13-2012, 06:46 PM
I sense Rodgers is starting to feel the dragon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg-dg2tmcE4&feature=related

HarveyWallbangers
10-14-2012, 11:18 PM
To be fair to the offense, they've play the top four defenses (statistically, heading into this weekend) in the league. Seattle is 2nd in points allowed and 1st in yardage allowed. San Fran is 1st in points allowed and 2nd in yardage allowed. Houston is 4th in points allowed and 3rd in yardage allowed. Chicago is 3rd in points allowed and 5th in yardage allowed. Considering the injuries and teams they've face, it's not a complete surprise they've struggled.

mraynrand
10-15-2012, 12:26 AM
To be fair to the offense, they've play the top four defenses (statistically, heading into this weekend) in the league. Seattle is 2nd in points allowed and 1st in yardage allowed. San Fran is 1st in points allowed and 2nd in yardage allowed. Houston is 4th in points allowed and 3rd in yardage allowed. Chicago is 3rd in points allowed and 5th in yardage allowed. Considering the injuries, refs and teams they've faced, it's not a complete surprise they've struggled.

FIFY. Good post. Like that reality check stuff. repped.