PDA

View Full Version : Henderson May Be Out 3-6 Weeks

Joemailman
08-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Packers FB Henderson might miss three to six weeks
Written by: Pete Dougherty ¦ 8/20/2006
Source: www.greenbaypressgazette.com

Venerable fullback William Henderson might miss three to six weeks because of the knee injury he sustained in the Green Bay Packers' exhibition game against Atlanta on Saturday night.

A source familiar with the situation said Henderson was scheduled to undergo more extensive tests either later Sunday or today, after the swelling in his knee subsides, to better determine the extent of the injury.
But the initial diagnosis by the Packers' medical staff is that he has cartilage and perhaps ligament damage that will sideline him for at least three weeks and probably a little longer. That means he would miss the regular-season opener Sept. 10 and, depending on the severity of the injury and his ability to bounce back at 35, at least a couple of more games as well.

If further tests confirm the Packers' suspicions, then Vonta Leach probably will be the Packers' starting fullback for the next few weeks. Leach has had a good training camp as a blocker but has been inconsistent catching the ball, and that carried over to the Packers' 38-10 exhibition win over Atlanta on Saturday night. Leach blocked much better than the 35-year-old Henderson, but he also dropped a pass in the flat that probably would have gone for a 9-yard touchdown.

Leach, a third-year pro, is in a tight battle for the one or two roster spots that likely will go to a fullback. At 6 foot and 250 pounds, he's a prototypical ram-rod fullback, but the Packers' new zone-blocking scheme favors smaller, more agile players at that position, because they're better at hitting moving targets and also can be emergency halfbacks.

However, Leach is the best blocking back on the roster and becomes more valuable with Henderson out and perhaps diminished for the rest of the year by the injury. Leach started five games last season, when he caught five passes for 19 yards. He's also been a core player on special-teams the last 1 ? seasons.

"We try to weigh everything," General Manager Ted Thompson said of evaluating Leach so far in camp. "We look at the whole body of work, we don't get too worked up about one dropped pass. We'll play the best guys we've got. Vonta's played a lot of football here."

The other two fullbacks on the roster are undrafted rookies Ben Brown (6-1, 246) and A.J. Cooper (6-1, 240).

The Packers also played backup halfback Noah Herron at fullback occasionally during offseason practices, but he hasn't worked there much during training camp, and at only 224 pounds it's still questionable whether he's big enough to be anything but an emergency player there. Najeh Davenport, who started at halfback in place of Ahman Green on Saturday night, played fullback in college, but durability and blocking deficiencies make him a poor candidate for that position in the NFL.

Thompson said Sunday afternoon he didn't have enough information to provide an update on Henderson's condition. It's unclear exactly when Henderson sustained his injury Saturday night. He was on the field when tight end Bubba Franks caught a caromed pass for a 3-yard touchdown that tied the game 7-7 with 3:04 left in the first quarter, but then Leach was at fullback the Packers' next offensive series.

"I couldn't tell you when (he was injured)," Thompson said. "He might have done it early and kept playing for a while."

Henderson was a free agent this past offseason, and the Packers decided to engage in a bidding skirmish with Minnesota to bring him back for a 12th year in the NFL. He signed a two-year deal with the Packers that paid a $250,000 roster bonus plus a workout bonus of $105,720. His base salary this season is $810,000.

The Packers considered him worth that modest up-front risk because even though his blocking has been slipping he's declined with age, he's been a surprisingly effective receiver and an excellent locker-room presence. Last year, he caught 30 passes for an average of 8.8 yards a reception.

Henderson has struggled more than ever with his blocking during training camp, including in Saturday night's game before he was injured. He still was a decent bet to make the final roster because of intangibles, and presumably will remain so unless his injury is even more severe than the Packers suspect.

"He missed a few blocks in the game (Saturday night), but it's a preseason game," Thompson said.

Until this injury, Henderson also had been remarkably durable. In his previous 11 years in the NFL, he missed only two games, one in his first game as a rookie because he was coming back from arthroscopic knee surgery, and the other in 2002 because of a strained medial-collateral ligament in his right knee. That ended his streak of playing in 114 straight games (126 counting playoffs). He hasn't missed a game since, but now his status in doubt for the regular-season opener against Chicago and perhaps a handful of games thereafter.

There goes my theory on the Running Back situation. Hope Leach starts catching the ball.

digitaldean
08-20-2006, 08:36 PM
There goes my theory on the Running Back situation. Hope Leach starts catching the ball.

He better stop doing his Ben Steele imitation or the Packers may be forced to look elsewhere for help. His blocking is the only thing helping him now.

pack4to84
08-20-2006, 08:47 PM
I think this opens the door for Z. Alcorn.

woodbuck27
08-20-2006, 09:00 PM

That is a serious loss for us. We need a FB that can catch the ball as well as block.

Zac Alcorn TE to FB conversion? I believe others feel that with his atleticism that may be an option.

PACKERS FAITH !!

digitaldean
08-20-2006, 09:04 PM

That is a serious loss for us. We need a FB that can catch the ball as well as block.

Zac Alcorn TE to FB conversion? I believe others feel that with his atleticism that may be an option.

PACKERS FAITH !!

It's worth a shot. If they don't try it, they'd better be checking trade options.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-20-2006, 09:25 PM
I hope its 3 and not more. If he only only misses one game that won't be that bad.

FavreChild
08-20-2006, 09:40 PM
"He missed a few blocks in the game (Saturday night), but it's a preseason game," Thompson said.

Was this really necessary to say? Or necessary for Dougherty to include? It makes TT sound like a cold, heartless bastard - slamming the fan favorite and loyal veteran.

Get well soon, Big Will!

red
08-20-2006, 09:49 PM
this f'ing SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

leach better get his head, or i guess his hands out of his ass in the next 2 weeks and be ready to go in case william is out for regular season games

either that, or we take the fb dump passes right out of the book, and use the FB only as a blocker

HarveyWallbangers
08-20-2006, 09:50 PM
I suspect if the prognosis is 3 to 6 weeks, it will be 3 weeks with Big Will. He's missed 2 games in 11 years (at FB, no less). He's a tough SOB.

red
08-20-2006, 09:51 PM
I suspect if the prognosis is 3 to 6 weeks, it will be 3 weeks with Big Will. He's missed 2 games in 11 years (at FB, no less). He's a tough SOB.

lets hope so

FavreChild
08-20-2006, 09:54 PM
I say he starts vs. da Bears.

Joemailman
08-20-2006, 10:05 PM

Was this really necessary to say? Or necessary for Dougherty to include? It makes TT sound like a cold, heartless bastard - slamming the fan favorite and loyal veteran.

Get well soon, Big Will!

We don't know the context in which this was said. If the reporter was suggesting that Henderson's play had been sub-standard, Thompson may have actually been defending Henderson.

FavreChild
08-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Yes, I agree - the remark may have been out of context (which is why I asked the question).

Either way, it doesn't belong. Not saying Hendu can't be criticized, but a completely inappropriate comment to include in the article.

But I still say Big Will starts against CHI week one.

the_idle_threat
08-21-2006, 12:00 AM
Go team ram-rod!

BooHoo
08-21-2006, 09:54 AM
Losing the starting fullback always hurts. Please no more injuries for the starters! Double bubble wrap them! :lol:

theeaterofshades
08-21-2006, 10:17 AM
How about swithing the Pooper to FB and see what happens? That way we could have a FB that is needed (read can catch the ball) in the more Walsh like WCO until big will returns. I am not confident in Vanta's hands...

pittstang5
08-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Hendo going down sucks. I'm positive he'll be back sooner than expected, but the depth behind him is a concern. Leach not being able to catch two perfect freakin passes sucks even more. I could understand if Leach was trying to catch with a defender on him, but he was wide open and at one time had a clear shot to the end zone. He sucked last year at catching and it looks like nothing has changed.

I really didn't think Leach was going to make the roster this year, simply becuase of the numbers if MM wants to keep 6 WRs. With Green, Gado, Davenport, Herron, Hendo and Leach, I figured they kept five and Leach would be the odd man out. From that article, now I'm clueless.

Astonishment
08-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Blitz pickup wise this could really hurt this team.

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 10:57 AM

Get well soon, Big Will!

Ted Thompson certainly makes some bonehead curious statements FavreChild. He's a puzzeling personality to me for sure. A real challenge in regards to his lack of PR skills.

He either says Dick ALL or often challenges me, not to blow my top, as a Packer fan. Loyal to the OLD guard. Vet players that remain OUR BEST chance of success, in the immediate future.

DANG !!!

GO PACKER VET's !!!

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 11:00 AM

DAM !!

We need William Henderson's leadership and good hands and his bocking ability. . . . TED !!!

GO PACKER VET's !!!

woodbuck27
08-21-2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks Harvey. :mrgreen:

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Woody,

This is the same article that started the thread.

Scott Campbell
08-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Ted Thompson certainly makes some bonehead curious statements FavreChild. He's a puzzeling personality to me for sure. A real challenge in regards to his lack of PR skills.

Woody, your critisism of Ted is a little puzzling to me. I don't really care that much about his "curious" statements and his relative lack of polish as a public speaker. I also don't care if he puts the seat down, or if he flosses twice a day.

I care about what he does with our roster, how he manages the cap and what the team accomplishes - over time. The rest is fluff.

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2006, 12:39 PM
He's doing a lot better. He's making himself more available to the public. He seems to have a conference every few days this year (see packers.com). I think he learned from the criticism.

Scott Campbell
08-21-2006, 12:39 PM

I have no problem with this quote. Will is out a few weeks. It's not like Murphy's career ending injury.

Veterans and fan favorites should not be above scrutiny. We certainly don't lay off anybody in here.